Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

NBA Draft. After Davis, who do you like?

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

NBA Draft. After Davis, who do you like?

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed May 02, 2012 12:42 pm

I like
1) Kidd-Gilchrest SF
2) Thomas Robinson PF
3) Harrison Barnes SF
4) Bradley Beal SG

However, will the Cavs not draft a PF because they were so stupid do draft TT last year?

Edit: I am a little torn on who I like better, Robinson or Barnes, but have Robinson ahead. Again, the Cavs may think they have more need at SF and SG.

Personally, I think they have need for elite talent.... 2 thru 5.
Last edited by OldDawg on Wed May 02, 2012 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Re: NBA Draft. After Davis, who do you like?

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Wed May 02, 2012 12:53 pm

They're assured of a top 6 pick, so you gotta name 5 guys.
2. MKG. The perfect complement to Kyrie.
3. Beal.
4. Barnes. He has his faults, but I think he can mesh very well with Kyrie. With the right coach and system he can be a superstar
5. Robinson. I don't think TT is a factor.
6. The odds are low that they'd pick here, and thank god for that, cuz there's no one I really like. I guess I'd go with the highest upside, ie Drummond. But I'd hate myself.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed May 02, 2012 12:53 pm

You are out of your effing mind if you prefer "can't dribble, can't create" Barnes to Beal.

Like really, really, really out of your mind.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed May 02, 2012 12:59 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:You are out of your effing mind if you prefer "can't dribble, can't create" Barnes to Beal.

Like really, really, really out of your mind.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I am probably still a little stuck on pre-season hype with Barnes. He looked really bad when UNC needed him at crunch time in the NCAA tourney.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed May 02, 2012 1:26 pm

Can't discuss this.

Not an expert.

I like whomever Heckert and Holmgren like.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby StewieG » Wed May 02, 2012 5:51 pm

After Davis:

MKG
Beal
Drummond
Robinson
Barnes

Man, I really hope we get a top-3 pick, because I like the first three a whole helluva lot better than I like the second three.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Wed May 02, 2012 5:59 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:You are out of your effing mind if you prefer "can't dribble, can't create" Barnes to Beal.

Devil's advocate: Many of Barnes' flaws only revealed themselves in his 2nd year. I seem to recall you being all over him at some point. Beal only had 1 year and was never the focal point of the UF offense (Walker and Boynton dominated the ball). Thus, if he stuck around for his soph year and became a bigger part of the team you may have felt the same way about him as you do now about Barnes. Additionally, with the injuries to Henson and Marshall, Barnes was suddenly thrust in to roles he should not have been, which illuminated his faults even more.

Again, that was devil's advocate talking, not me. I would rather have Beal than Barnes, as I mentioned above.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:39 pm

Bullshit, Barnes is the exact same player in his second year he is in his first, thus completely destroying the even small hope that he would evolve from the unable to create anything nothing he is.

I was all-over him before his career started and have steadily declined on him ever since.

To say his flaws just showed themselves this year is a complete and utter falsity though, he is literally the exact same as he was.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Wed May 02, 2012 8:20 pm

So he would not be a top 6 choice of yours? In the right system, with the right supporting cast, he can be extremely effective IMO. The injury to Henson forced him to try and play bigger, and the injury to Marshall forced him to try and be more of a facilitator. Neither of those helped his stock. Yes he can't create his own shot. Yes he does not have a first step right now. But he can still be a great catch and shoot guy off Kyrie drives, he can shoot over anyone, he potentially can be a lockdown defender - there's still a lot to like.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed May 02, 2012 8:39 pm

My recollection was that Barnes and Perry Jones were all the talk after last year's draft as players that would be fighting to be the #1 pick in the draft. Both had letdown seasons.

Eye, what are your thoughts on the NBA readiness of Robinson? Now his stock exploded from last year to this year.
OldDawg

Unread postby swerb » Wed May 02, 2012 8:41 pm

To me there's a drop off after #4. Barring bad luck, Cavs are gonna get a REAL nice playa.

1. Davis - Nothing needs said.
2. Kidd-Gilchrist - LOCK superstar as long as the perimeter game develops, #1 pick material in some other years (including last year). Thought of him and Kyrie as our backcourt for the next 6 years is dreamy.
3. Robinson - Developed physically this year, plays hard and smart, gonna be a helluva NBA PF IMO. Think people are underestimating his pro prospects the same way they did a little with Blake Griffin.
4. Beal - Even more upside than MKG ... but three inches shorter. Smart, gifted, works hard ... I think he'll be even better than Eric Gordon, who everyone compares him too.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed May 02, 2012 9:16 pm

I'm with whomever eeyore wants.

He was dead nuts on Kyrie before anyone here.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed May 02, 2012 9:40 pm

Triple-S wrote:I'm with whomever eeyore wants.

TBH, I would feel very comfortable with eye in the Cavs war room or FO.

I would keep him far away from the PR department, though.
He'd spend too much time telling the fans and media to F themselves.
OldDawg

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed May 02, 2012 9:42 pm

swerb wrote:To me there's a drop off after #4. Barring bad luck, Cavs are gonna get a REAL nice playa.

1. Davis - Nothing needs said.
2. Kidd-Gilchrist - LOCK superstar as long as the perimeter game develops, #1 pick material in some other years (including last year). Thought of him and Kyrie as our backcourt for the next 6 years is dreamy.
3. Robinson - Developed physically this year, plays hard and smart, gonna be a helluva NBA PF IMO. Think people are underestimating his pro prospects the same way they did a little with Blake Griffin.
4. Beal - Even more upside than MKG ... but three inches shorter. Smart, gifted, works hard ... I think he'll be even better than Eric Gordon, who everyone compares him too.

I can only dream, but wouldn't THIS be the year to have picks 1 and 4!!! And last year just have #1.
OldDawg

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:53 pm

From a defense and shooting standpoint do you really want the next Blake Griffin?

I don't know how to say it w/o the word overrated in the sentence. I mean I'd take it when you have Kyrie here to get your guy his dunks, to run the floor with him and the dude's a freak athlete with desire and a guy who rebounds.

But am I the only one who watches him and thinks he's faaaaar from a complete or great player?

Exciting? Yep.
Valuable? Sure
Elite? Not in my mind.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed May 02, 2012 9:57 pm

peeker643 wrote:From a defense and shooting standpoint do you really want the next Blake Griffin?

I don't know how to say it w/o the word overrated in the sentence. I mean I'd take it when you have Kyrie here to get your guy his dunks, to run the floor with him and the dude's a freak athlete with desire and a guy who rebounds.

But am I the only one who watches him and thinks he's faaaaar from a complete or great player?

Exciting? Yep.
Valuable? Sure
Elite? Not in my mind.

I wish I could offer an intelligent response, but
a) I am not intelligent, and
b) I pretty much watch only the Cavs and some playoff games. All I see are Griffins highlight reel dunks and struts on ESPN
OldDawg

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:58 pm

This is a three player draft in my eyes, Davis, MKG and Beal. After that you pick your poison between Barnes and Robinson. After pick five in this draft I have trouble differentiating the 6th best player from the 26th. Drummond's lazy ass fits in there somewhere between Robinson and 7, but fuck me if they draft him.

And I don't care what Barnes was asked to do, his game this year was the exact same as it was last year, zero ability to create anything on offense, playing bigger or smaller or fucking inbetween. He's not an elite prospect because of that, period. He's second tier. He has never once in his college career shown the all around game Beal has.
Last edited by e0y2e3 on Wed May 02, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed May 02, 2012 10:00 pm

Blake Griffin is a shitty basketball player and a complete and utter embarrassment to the game. The fact that CP3 is one of my two or three favorite players and I HATE the Clippers with a passion says a lot. The team is fucking terrible.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed May 02, 2012 10:02 pm

(also, neither MKG or Beal are elite, but they are at least far more well-rounded than Robinson and Barnes)
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed May 02, 2012 10:06 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Blake Griffin is a shitty basketball player and a complete and utter embarrassment to the game. The fact that CP3 is one of my two or three favorite players and I HATE the Clippers with a passion says a lot. The team is fucking terrible.

See, I don't know if I think he's overrated because he is such a douchebag and a guy who's head has gotten WAY too big too fast or because he just doesn't have a floor game.

I do think he uses hi athleticism well at the rim and to block shots/rebound but he just strikes me as a guy who'd rather make a play people talk about than one that isn't noticed but leads to a win.

I dunno. Maybe I'm off base there.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed May 02, 2012 10:09 pm

No, you are dead on. He doesn't hustle back on D, he doesn't even try to improve his shot (he became a worse FT shooter this year), everytime he is mic'd up all he talks about is oops, the fuckhead lives for Sportscenter and on top of it he plays the game like a complete and utter prick when he has no right to and officials let him get away with it, for no reason.

Combine that with asshates like Nick Young, Mo, Chauncey, DeAndre and that is just a terrible collection of basketball players. Then you get Kenyon Martin and Reggie Evans off the bench... BLECH
Last edited by e0y2e3 on Wed May 02, 2012 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby noles1 » Wed May 02, 2012 10:09 pm

I like Henson and Zeller better than Barnes.

I think it's Top 4 or bust and even then I think Robinson is a drop off from #3.

Don't think this draft is as good as people say. Could be some sleepers in the 20's though. Specially after people get off some of the "names" in the teens.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed May 02, 2012 10:11 pm

This is a deep draft, not an elite draft.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed May 02, 2012 10:32 pm

There is much less movement in the NBA draft over the NFL draft. Can the Cavs package their 33 and 34 and move back into low round 1? NBA is quality over quantity. Or don't you like the idea?
OldDawg

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed May 02, 2012 10:40 pm

No and the days of buying late firsts are quickly disappearing as well. With the new "hardish" cap coming cheap young talent is infinitely more valuable to playoff teams.

The Cavs already have 24, they are fine assuming the don't Tristan Thompson the pick.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed May 02, 2012 10:49 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:...assuming the don't Tristan Thompson the pick.

Cmon, eye, the guy had a great workout!

Regarding TT, its not like none of the guys drafted around him that were available to us have made an impact in the league. I mean, even most of us were nuts on Kanter, and the guy averaged less than 5ppg.
Of course most of us wanted Valley, but we won't know how that will turn out yet. Still pissed we didn't draft him. I will sleep better if he's a bust in the league.

Last year had to be one of the weakest drafts ever, and we get #1 and #4 in THAT draft.
OldDawg

Unread postby pup » Wed May 02, 2012 10:50 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:No and the days of buying late firsts are quickly disappearing as well. With the new "hardish" cap coming cheap young talent is infinitely more valuable to playoff teams.

The Cavs already have 24, they are fine assuming the don't Tristan Thompson the pick.

Wouldn't that make early second round picks extremely valuable? As lone as round 1 is still guaranteed and 2 is not?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed May 02, 2012 10:50 pm

Kanter is going to be just fine, christ, he is on the team with the deepest big man rotation in the NBA. What did you want him to do, start clubbing the guys ahead of him in the knee?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed May 02, 2012 10:51 pm

pup wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:No and the days of buying late firsts are quickly disappearing as well. With the new "hardish" cap coming cheap young talent is infinitely more valuable to playoff teams.

Wouldn't that make early second round picks extremely valuable? As lone as round 1 is still guaranteed and 2 is not?

That doesn't matter. The point is filling your 13-15th spots for rookie salaries instead of vet salaries. Towel waiving is towel waiving, guaranteed or not.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed May 02, 2012 10:55 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Kanter is going to be just fine, christ, he is on the team with the deepest big man rotation in the NBA. What did you want him to do, start clubbing the guys ahead of him in the knee?

OldDawg

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed May 02, 2012 11:54 pm

Nancy had a nice ass...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby JJN » Thu May 03, 2012 12:55 am

For the Cavs:
1. Davis
2. MKG
3. Beal
4. Drummond
5. Robinson
6. PJ3
7. Barnes

Yes, I would take PJ3 and Drummond over Barnes. I think its easier to teach a kid focus than it is to teach him to have a first step and to not dribble off his foot.
JJN

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: David Stern

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Thu May 03, 2012 8:29 am

OldDawg wrote:
Triple-S wrote:I'm with whomever eeyore wants.

TBH, I would feel very comfortable with eye in the Cavs war room or FO.

I would keep him far away from the PR department, though.
He'd spend too much time telling the fans and media to F themselves.

Haha, Phil Savage ran him off after some bad advice already.
Love child of shawn kemp

Favorite Player: Flash Gordon
Least Favorite Player: TWofA

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu May 03, 2012 8:31 am

Yeah, I couldn't disagree more. Historically guys that don't get it (Darius Mile Jones III) never "get it" in the NBA, there are thousands of examples. Whereas Barnes could be the third or fourth best players on a legit playoff team, as he is a dead eye shot and does play good D.

If you are going to take a questionable character guy, they better at least have shown Cousins or Z-Bo ability and fire, not laziness and disconnect from the game itself.
Last edited by e0y2e3 on Thu May 03, 2012 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu May 03, 2012 8:35 am

Easy on Blake Griffin.

His commercials are fantastic.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu May 03, 2012 8:45 am

So is his acne. That is one ugly dude.... often makes me pine for the days of standard def TV.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jb » Thu May 03, 2012 9:40 am

Slot 1 or 2 or bust.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Thu May 03, 2012 9:42 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Kanter is going to be just fine, christ, he is on the team with the deepest big man rotation in the NBA. What did you want him to do, start clubbing the guys ahead of him in the knee?

Meh. As bad as Bismark and his non-impact.
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu May 03, 2012 9:52 am

The next time you watch a Jazz game (again, deepest big rotation in the league) or see Bismack play will be the first.

So keep on your new found homerism... Holmgren, Heckert and Gilbert can do no wrong!
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jb » Thu May 03, 2012 10:00 am

e0y2e3 wrote:The next time you watch a Jazz game (again, deepest big rotation in the league) or see Bismack play will be the first.

So keep on your new found homerism... Holmgren, Heckert and Gilbert can do no wrong!

Jazz played well last night when I saw them.

Just stop acting like I don't have cable.
jb

Unread postby FUDU » Thu May 03, 2012 10:36 am

jb wrote:Slot 1 or 2 or bust.

Yep, if the Cavs don't land 1 of the 3 sure fire guys this year they're going to have to go the route of the Pistons if they ever want to make a run for the ring again. B/C regardless of who they get that player will be good enough (along with a minor roster improvement) to vault them out of the lottery and into NBA purgatory as an 8th or 7th seed. As Lead has said so many times, the Cavs are not landing the big time FA type to give us the one two punch of elite talent you need to win in this league.

I mean not until LeBron comes back.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Thu May 03, 2012 11:22 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Blake Griffin is a shitty basketball player

Ha. I say this on almost a daily basis. I have League Pass and a friend comes over for every Clippers game, so deep is his love for BG. Its given me the displeasure of watching at least 100 Griffin games to date. 5 times a game he blows 2 points by attempting to dunk when he shouldn't have. Not necessarily missed dunks that show up on highlight reels, but there's times where he jumps from 12 feet thinking he can dunk and ends up having to do the wrong thing. He literally tries to dunk anything and everything. It pisses me off to no end.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu May 03, 2012 12:01 pm

Any team starting the backcourt and wings the Jazz are should be picking in the top five, not in the playoffs.

And don't act like the mormon's team was on cable weekly for you to watch.

And as always with TT, the hate toward him involves the lack of even developable skill more than anything. Shitty defender, shitty scorer...
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu May 03, 2012 12:06 pm

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Blake Griffin is a shitty basketball player

Ha. I say this on almost a daily basis. I have League Pass and a friend comes over for every Clippers game, so deep is his love for BG. Its given me the displeasure of watching at least 100 Griffin games to date. 5 times a game he blows 2 points by attempting to dunk when he shouldn't have. Not necessarily missed dunks that show up on highlight reels, but there's times where he jumps from 12 feet thinking he can dunk and ends up having to do the wrong thing. He literally tries to dunk anything and everything. It pisses me off to no end.

I came into this year thinking the Clippers would grow up and be awesome to watch. Instead it got to a point where I would have rather rinsed my eyes with acid then watched that bunch of morons run around the court (and I say this with CP3 as again one of my three, if not favorite players in the league, which really says something).
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu May 03, 2012 12:21 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I would have rather rinsed my eyes with acid then watched that bunch of morons run around the court

This would be perfect.

I'd watch not only to see the eyes melt but there's a chance you'd ingest at least a little acid. Maybe enough to kill you or come very close.

I'd fly to Boston to watch this if you ever do it and I think I could probably raise money (and a lot of it) as we could surely get sponsors to donate large sums.

:nanner:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Thu May 03, 2012 1:08 pm

peeker643 wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:I would have rather rinsed my eyes with acid then watched that bunch of morons run around the court

This would be perfect.

I'd watch not only to see the eyes melt but there's a chance you'd ingest at least a little acid. Maybe enough to kill you or come very close.

I'd fly to Boston to watch this if you ever do it and I think I could probably raise money (and a lot of it) as we could surely get sponsors to donate large sums.

:nanner:

Is there any truth to the rumor that Junior was hanging with Eye this weekend?
jb

Unread postby jb » Thu May 03, 2012 1:10 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Any team starting the backcourt and wings the Jazz are should be picking in the top five, not in the playoffs.

Pistol Pete and Stockton are awesome. See? I watch the Jazz.
jb

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Thu May 03, 2012 1:25 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Any team starting the backcourt and wings the Jazz are should be picking in the top five, not in the playoffs.

Pfft. Devin Harris was an All Star. No one in their front court has been. Clearly he's the driving force behind the team.

On a serious note, Hayward has improved on practically a game-to-game basis throughout the season and should be a long term piece in Utah. Every single other guard and wing is almost below replacement level. Nothing I've seen from Burks yet makes me think he's not the next CJ Miles, a guy Utah also had high hopes for and never upped his game.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Unread postby JJN » Thu May 03, 2012 7:07 pm

Whereas Barnes could be the third or fourth best players on a legit playoff team, as he is a dead eye shot and does play good D.

44% Shooter. Dead eoy.

Drummond, without improving his offense, would be a pretty decent defensive big.

Would love to move some assets to make a run at Quincy Miller. Could have fallen quite a bit, but should play better on during the second year back from ACL surgery.
JJN

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: David Stern

Unread postby OldDawg » Sat May 05, 2012 3:47 pm

For what its worth, I just spoke to someone who lives in Gainesville, is a huge Gator basketball fan and really knows the game of basketball. I asked him what he thought of Beal. He said he didn't think he was ready for the pros and should have stayed in college. I said, "he's projected as a top 5 pick!!!" He answered, "you asked me what I thought of him." He was underwhelmed.

Personally, I haven't had much of a chance to watch the Gators this past year.
OldDawg

Next

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA