Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Wide Spread Panic

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: Wide Spread Panic

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:46 pm

It isn't arbitrary anything.

The creme of the crop has succeeded past thirty, the rest haven't. It's just that simple.

Even guys like Romo and Shaub are quality and spend A LOT of time sitting behind another starter and developing.

Guys don't magically show up at 30, learn a completely different offense and survive.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:50 pm

CleSportsTruth wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
CleSportsTruth wrote:
Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:They panicked because Rieff Decastro something something nobody else would've picked Weeden something something. That's all? Really?

I'll be doubling my laughter if Osweiler or Cousins go in the second round tonight.

+1000. Right or wrong, the notion that FEWER people will be going to CBS b/c we haven't, yet, gotten an RT is nuts. Can STILL get one people!

And to peek, did you see all the trades in Rd. 1? They weren't playing w/ fire w/ Weeden. Period.

People go to see a winning football team. No one gives a shit if they're 4-12 and TR is exciting.

Playing with fire my ass. You spell out who's taking him between 23-36 or find me documentation that that was the case (other than from the effing PR staff of the team itself please) and we'll talk.

Jeebus, you're fixated on the teams between 23-36, totally missing the point that KC, Seattle or someone else (Iggles?) could have moved up ahead of 37. Given the way teams were slinging picks around yesterday, I think that was a possibility.

Why would they do that? Because he's good enough to play today? Then you don't wait on him at all.

Because you see him as a developmental guy? At nearly 30 years old? Good luck.

Because he's better than Michael Vick today? Because the Seahawks just gave Flynn $10million to show Weeden the ropes? Because he's older than Matt Cassell, Brady Quinn and Ricky Sanzi in KC and he's the missing piece in that QB soup?

No way dude.

Hey... theoretically it's possible. I'd still like to see the analysis that says that's the case. Show me the reports or rumors or whatever (and I have a feeling the spin doctors in Berea will allude to the fact they heard such things too, without one iota of evidence.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:51 pm

Your signature is ironic or something.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:04 pm

It's just that simple.

Actually it's not, which is precisely my point.

There are plenty of reasons why most QBs dont have great success after the age of 30, but the "getting old" part isn't one of the main reasons.

Agree to disagree, I guess.
JacksonDysonJackson

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Derek

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:11 pm

No, you fail to connect on the fact that he has to play now because of his age.

That is a huge problem.

And again, look at the list of players, all but two were drafted in the top five.....

Chris Weinke.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:13 pm

CleSportsTruth wrote:Jeebus, you're fixated on the teams between 23-36, totally missing the point that KC, Seattle or someone else (Iggles?) could have moved up ahead of 37. Given the way teams were slinging picks around yesterday, I think that was a possibility.

Because if somebody wanted to take Brandon Weeden, they knew that they'd have to move in front of the Browns to do that. Clearly, KC, SEA, PHI or whoever else had no interest in taking Weeden in the first round, otherwise they'd have done it.

That's why Peeker is, correctly, fixated on how nobody between 23-36 would have taken Weeden.

The Browns made it very clear that they liked Weeden and were poised to take him 22nd. If another team wanted him, they knew they'd have to move into the 20-21 range. They didn't. Tells me that they had no interest or didn't feel like he was worth the price to move up.

When the Browns got to 22 and Weeden was there, no matter how much we didn't want to believe it, in the back of our minds, we knew he was their pick, regardless of who else was on the board. I don't buy that they were taking Kendall Wright if he was there.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:14 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:It isn't arbitrary anything.

The creme of the crop has succeeded past thirty, the rest haven't. It's just that simple.

Even guys like Romo and Shaub are quality and spend A LOT of time sitting behind another starter and developing.

Guys don't magically show up at 30, learn a completely different offense and survive.

The percentages say Weeden will crash and burn more on the line of Weinke , than follow the career path of Staubach Kelley and Moon who entered at similar ages .

All of them were much better athletes playing football except Roger who was the youngest at 27 , even Kurt warner who was bagging groceres was moonlighting in the arena league .

Weeden getting hurt in baseball is not good.

The Browns will have to protect like an aged vet instead of a rookie you turn loose to take his lumps if they expect any production out of him .

Its what killed Holcomb the shock of going against air in seven on seven as a backup pracce player vs those NFL hits crumpled him under the weight of being the man and being tough enough to withstand those hits .

Give weeden a Peyton Manning type pocket and let him use that big arm to break down defenses , he's a pocket passer , not a sprint out athlete with good footwork .

With TR teams have to respect the run , and play action passes will work and will buy time to find open receivers , this offense has a chance now, provided they sure up Rt and land a deep threat to blow the top off of defenses.

Still want another QB in this draft Lindley or Wilson and two linebackers and another safety for the mix

SoulDawg

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:16 pm

Teams that might have wanted Weeden:

Cardinals - bring him in to compete with Kolb right away.

Chiefs - bring him in to compete with Cassell right away. Quinn and Stanzi are clear backups.

Raiders - bring him in to compete with Palmer right away. The Palmer trade was the previous regime's mistake, not the current GM.

You don't draft him as a developmental guy at his age, and you don't draft backup QB's in the 1st round. So the only teams that draft him would be teams that needed starting QB's or someone to compete with their current starting QB.

You could say Jags/Vikes/Titans might bring him in to compete with their underwhelming 2011 draft picks, but I doubt that would happen.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:18 pm

So Weeden is a pocket passer that is only familier with that gimmick spread OSU runs?

Fuck, they didn't even call plays last year.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby OldDawg » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:23 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:So Weeden is a pocket passer that is only familier with that gimmick spread OSU runs?

Reminds me of Tim Couch saying something to the effect of "we didn't have much of a playbook at Kentucky. We kinda drew it up in the dirt." To which I soiled myself at that time.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:27 pm

It is a huge issue (I'd stop short of saying problem until proven otherwise).

But that wasn't your original point.

I dont think anyone doubts that the timetable is moved up considerably for him. He'll have to start from day 1.

Frankly, I'm worried about his transition from shotgun, his ability to read NFL defenses / blitz packages, his pocket presence, etc.

I'm not worried that he's 28 yrs old.

The final word is yours if you want it...I'm tired of talking about Brandon Weeden's age.
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:27 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:So Weeden is a pocket passer that is only familier with that gimmick spread OSU runs?

SD:

Football is football , see guy hit guy .

The problem was Colt was a sight thrower with no arm to chicken to pull the trigger .

Weeden wil throw the pill Weeden can throw the pill .

The sooner he gets in builds up his timing and works with his guys the better .

This speaks to how short a leash these jackasses are on now .

Holgren sawed off the limb behind himself when he blew that RG3 pick .

The only reason you by pass Tannehill and draft a 137 year old rookie is to try and win now .

Look for way more shotgun than you normally see from a WCO andanything they can do to keep this guy on the fast track .

Weeen won't be forced fed the shurmur turtle. he'll get his own offense designed around what he does best .

These Fucks are now on the clocks for their careers .

and

It couldn't happen to a more arrogant bunch of ignorant Fucks .

They are squirming like the worms.

five picks for two choices is a major waste and a 100 % panic move.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby CleSportsTruth » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:38 pm

peeker643 wrote:
CleSportsTruth wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
CleSportsTruth wrote:
Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:They panicked because Rieff Decastro something something nobody else would've picked Weeden something something. That's all? Really?

I'll be doubling my laughter if Osweiler or Cousins go in the second round tonight.

+1000. Right or wrong, the notion that FEWER people will be going to CBS b/c we haven't, yet, gotten an RT is nuts. Can STILL get one people!

And to peek, did you see all the trades in Rd. 1? They weren't playing w/ fire w/ Weeden. Period.

People go to see a winning football team. No one gives a shit if they're 4-12 and TR is exciting.

Playing with fire my ass. You spell out who's taking him between 23-36 or find me documentation that that was the case (other than from the effing PR staff of the team itself please) and we'll talk.

Jeebus, you're fixated on the teams between 23-36, totally missing the point that KC, Seattle or someone else (Iggles?) could have moved up ahead of 37. Given the way teams were slinging picks around yesterday, I think that was a possibility.

Why would they do that? Because he's good enough to play today? Then you don't wait on him at all.

Because you see him as a developmental guy? At nearly 30 years old? Good luck.

Because he's better than Michael Vick today? Because the Seahawks just gave Flynn $10million to show Weeden the ropes? Because he's older than Matt Cassell, Brady Quinn and Ricky Sanzi in KC and he's the missing piece in that QB soup?

No way dude.

Hey... theoretically it's possible. I'd still like to see the analysis that says that's the case. Show me the reports or rumors or whatever (and I have a feeling the spin doctors in Berea will allude to the fact they heard such things too, without one iota of evidence.

Value. No one was taking him top 15. The fact that we're having this discussion at 22 proves that. As for KC, Weeden is better than all 3 combined. Likely right on Seattle, though hedging on Flynn isn't crazy. As for Philly, Mike Vick's actually OLDER than Weeden, with injury issues.

Point is, after a complete overnight, things can change quickly, so assuming he's there at 37 is no guarantee, IMHO.
CleSportsTruth

Unread postby CleSportsTruth » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:43 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
CleSportsTruth wrote:Jeebus, you're fixated on the teams between 23-36, totally missing the point that KC, Seattle or someone else (Iggles?) could have moved up ahead of 37. Given the way teams were slinging picks around yesterday, I think that was a possibility.

Because if somebody wanted to take Brandon Weeden, they knew that they'd have to move in front of the Browns to do that. Clearly, KC, SEA, PHI or whoever else had no interest in taking Weeden in the first round, otherwise they'd have done it.

That's why Peeker is, correctly, fixated on how nobody between 23-36 would have taken Weeden.

The Browns made it very clear that they liked Weeden and were poised to take him 22nd. If another team wanted him, they knew they'd have to move into the 20-21 range. They didn't. Tells me that they had no interest or didn't feel like he was worth the price to move up.

When the Browns got to 22 and Weeden was there, no matter how much we didn't want to believe it, in the back of our minds, we knew he was their pick, regardless of who else was on the board. I don't buy that they were taking Kendall Wright if he was there.

Actually, no, we know nothing of the sort. Since we DID take him at 22, we'll never know, for sure, if a KC, OAK, AZ, etc. would have moved up between 23-36 to jump the Browns. Esp. w/ KC, I fear they would have (hell, if I were them, I would have.).
CleSportsTruth

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:49 pm

I won't disagree with anyone that age plays some factor is analyzing this, but it is nothing like the age relevance of a RB.

So to take the point JDJ and eye are going over a step further, list all the QBs that were good at 29 that suddenly sucked at 30 or 31. (Please refrain from using Weeden in this example for obvious reasons).
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:09 pm

Much like how Colts name kept popping up in 2010, I kept seeing Weedens and the Browns linked all the time.

I don't know about this guy. I don't. If he can reach Flacco/Dalton like level, after a decade of bad QB play? I'll take that. That's my expectation. give me 5 years of that, that will at least get us to build this team past suck.

I was more of a fan of waiting for the 3-4 rounds, getting a guy there, and seeing what Colt could do for another year. If he fails? You're in prime position to get a franchise QB.

Weeden isn't a Franchise QB, but he's one that can not bring you down.

BTW, trading Colt is pointless. Good luck with getting a 6th round pick for him.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:23 pm

CleSportsTruth wrote:
Value. No one was taking him top 15. The fact that we're having this discussion at 22 proves that. As for KC, Weeden is better than all 3 combined. Likely right on Seattle, though hedging on Flynn isn't crazy. As for Philly, Mike Vick's actually OLDER than Weeden, with injury issues.

Point is, after a complete overnight, things can change quickly, so assuming he's there at 37 is no guarantee, IMHO.

Terrific. You've proven he didn't go at 15, that he went at 22.

You've opined that any number of teams would have jumped up between 23-36 with no proof of same using the nebulous 'value' argument despite the fact that there's far less 'value' in bringing in a guy who's 29.

Bottom line is we'll never know.

I'm sticking with my opinion that he would have been there at 37 and basing it on the logic I provided up there.

You can have the 'value' argument although you can't argue it and there's no possible way you can know whether Weeden is better than Cassell or a guy in Quinn who was picked at the exact same spot 5 years ago.

You have zero idea of whether he's better. None of us do. Which is the entire effing point of waiting to 37.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:23 pm

Browns fans are worse than the Browns..... and your takes prove you're all on acid
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby CleSportsTruth » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:39 pm

peeker643 wrote:
CleSportsTruth wrote:

Terrific. You've proven he didn't go at 15, that he went at 22.

You've opined that any number of teams would have jumped up between 23-36 with no proof of same using the nebulous 'value' argument despite the fact that there's far less 'value' in bringing in a guy who's 29.

Bottom line is we'll never know.

I'm sticking with my opinion that he would have been there at 37 and basing it on the logic I provided up there.

You can have the 'value' argument although you can't argue it and there's no possible way you can know whether Weeden is better than Cassell or a guy in Quinn who was picked at the exact same spot 5 years ago.

You have zero idea of whether he's better. None of us do. Which is the entire effing point of waiting to 37.

I've seen Cassell, I've seen Lady Quinn. Give me Weeden over them every time, period. Value is nebulous, sure. But that's the point. The equation changes from 15 to even 30. What seemed an unacceptable reach at 15 becomes an intriguing value at 30, esp. for a KC.
CleSportsTruth

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:32 pm

Relax about Weeden fellas, all the guy has to do is hand it to our new rookie, cause word around the campfire, is rushing the ball is the way to go in today's NFL.

It's either that or that teams that can't rush the ball worth a damn are making Super Bowl after Super Bowl...

Anyways, I look at it this way, it's ridiculously more easy to move the ball through the air - as evidenced by all the good offenses doing it - so that puts a little damper on the RB pick, and Weeden, while age is a negative, a bigger one is his movement in the pocket.

To summarize, you really don't want to be the guy moving the ball in the hardest way possible, and the only way to defend the way to move the ball that all the rules are geared toward is pressure - so it's imperative you get a guy back there that can avoid some pressure.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:01 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:Browns fans are worse than the Browns..... and your takes prove you're all on acid

And not even the good acid, the FUN kind. Silly draft fanbois take the BROWN acid.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Doc » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:40 pm

I think Peeker's write up is spot on. I'll add my personal issues, of course.

I really do like the players. Even though it is a passing league, unless you go Blackmon, then what's the choice? Richardson is a guy that fits a passing offense, even if he's an RB. And they sold themselves on Weeden, which is fine, because they wanted "their" QB. And I respect that, to an extent.

But they fucked this up. It could have been so much more. I'm pissed at Heckert. Fuck him. The only things he said in the offseason that were specific quotes and not beat-around-the-bush GM speak were...we won't trade up from #4, and we have 2 guys we are equally fine getting at #4...a 1a and 1b. Bullshit. They quivered like bitches and gave up their trade ammo to move up 1 FUCKING SPOT TO GET A RB. Who's the last RB taken in the Top 3? Exactly. Christ almighty...even at 4 it's hard to swallow a RB, even if he's BPA...but trading up? Fuck. That leaves 2, 3, 4, 5, Colt McCoy for trading. Not much left to maneuver with, since you dealt it all for a RB.

And Weeden? Fuck. At 22? They got their guy. Great. But at 22? They probably could have dealt back with NE and still got him at NE's pick, and he probably still would have been there at 37 anyways. He certainly sounds the part, and I think he's got a fair shot at being pretty good...but ultimately that's a big reach at 22, even though I like him.

So...they should have stayed put with #4 and taken BPA, which is what bad teams do. If someone moved on Richardson, oh well. Then you put Blackmon and Weeden together, which is probably the best scenario for Weeden to succeed...assuming they knew they were going to take him all along. Now, at #22, you have a shot at some legitimate talent...DeCastro and Reiff, obviously, all the other RBs, Mercilus, etc. Those are all solid picks at that spot. That leaves you 7 remaining tradeable picks and the ability to target Weeden late Rd 1/early Rd 2 if you're that desperate for him. There's no reason the Browns shouldn't have made a move to get another 2nd/3rd and have 5 likely starters from this draft. As it stands now, they are in line for 4 of them, assuming Wr/RT in 2/3, but no real way to get another possible starter with only the 4 as a major piece. C for talent, F for execution, D overall so far.
Doc

Favorite Player: Matthew Dellavedova
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bosh

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:50 pm

I just don't understand people's issue with statements made by Heckert during the off season in regards to "not trading up" or "we will do this, we won't do that".

First why would anyone believe such comments, second, I expect the attempt at diversion, frankly it probably should be that way. Similar to back when Butch Davis got people/media all fired about him not wanting anyone to see what was going on in practice, good, nobody should see.

"Hey Gorby, this is Ronald...um Ronald Reagan, yeah the guy who could blow you back to Kingdom Come. Say I was wondering, would you like to come take a tour of this place we call Area 51....

It's where we do a lot of highly confidential research regarding military stuff and even space exploration research....

You would, great, feel free to invite what's his name from China and whomever else can fit on the plane ride over. If there is time we can stop at an air force base and maybe Camp David....

No don't be silly we have plenty of cameras at your disposal...

OK, buh bye"
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby gotribe31 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:37 pm

This is my real problem with the pick:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-trian ... -nfl-draft
4. Cleveland nabs Brandon Weeden with the 22nd overall selection. Over the past month, Brandon Weeden and his representation have done a great job of trying to turn his age (28, thanks to five years as a minor league baseball player) from a negative into a positive. He's experienced! He has a good head on his shoulders! He's ready to contribute now! Well, all those things better be true, because Weeden is on a totally different timeline from every other rookie. The problem with drafting a guy at 28 is that no college quarterback is truly ready for the NFL. Even the best quarterbacks in football go through a development process while adjusting to the speed of the game and the range of professional defenders. Weeden, who started for only two years at Oklahoma State, will be going through that development at ages 28 and 29. Guys who have followed a similar path — think Chris Weinke, Drew Henson, and Chad Hutchinson — have failed to ever develop into viable professional starters. Nobody wants to try to develop a 28-year-old quarterback, because by the time he's done developing, he'll already be 30 and declining athletically. And if Weeden struggles, well, the Browns don't have the time to sit around and play a 29-year-old who isn't up to the task. If Weeden succeeds as a pro quarterback, it will be a remarkable exception to what's been a pretty sound rule: Don't draft overage college players.

You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby Ziner » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:02 am

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:I'll be doubling my laughter if Osweiler or Cousins go in the second round tonight.

Wild run on QBs today. Flying off the board early and often. Good thing we locked ours up 35 picks before the next one was taken. Chiefs and Cards made some aggressive moves to shore up their QB situations tonight.

Hope you didnt strain an ab muscle while doubling over in laughter.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:33 am

Ziner wrote:
Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:I'll be doubling my laughter if Osweiler or Cousins go in the second round tonight.

Wild run on QBs today. Flying off the board early and often. Good thing we locked ours up 35 picks before the next one was taken. Chiefs and Cards made some aggressive moves to shore up their QB situations tonight.

SD:

Only Browns fans gave trouble picking QB's

Ellway wasted no time , and we shouldn't either .

With Wilson Gone draft Lundley or Kellen Moore in the sixth with the pick we gett dumping Colt.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:19 am

These are the same complaints as last year when they traded up from 27 to 21 to take Phil Taylor. What are they doing - he would have been there at 27!!!

We don't know that. And we don't know if some team would have jumped ahead of the Browns at 37. Kolb and Cassell aren't getting it done, for starters.

It was a choice of playing with fire and trying to maximize your draft or just paying the price and make sure you get the guy you want.

In the "RG3 fiasco" they played with fire and got burned. They were told to come with their best offer and came with something less. So by trying to maximize their draft they lost out on one of the best QB prospects in the last 10 years.

So instead of playing with fire again and taking the chance of missing out on both Richardson and Weeden, they made their moves. Sometimes getting greedy and trying to squeeze out every last drop of blood can blow up in your face.

If they decided to take Weeden at 37, who would they have picked at 22? Cordy Glenn? Jonathan Martin? They passed on both those guys at 37 to take Schwartz, so they obviously didn't want them at 22.

Like Hiko said, they ended up getting their QB, RB, and RT, just maybe in a different order than fans expected.

As for not getting a WR, Shurmer said he thinks Weeden will improve the WR's they have. Which means the problem last year was mostly the QB.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:22 am

Prosecutor wrote:These are the same complaints as last year when they traded up from 27 to 21 to take Phil Taylor. What are they doing - he would have been there at 27!!!

We don't know that. And we don't know if some team would have jumped ahead of the Browns at 37. Kolb and Cassell aren't getting it done, for starters.

It was a choice of playing with fire and trying to maximize your draft or just paying the price and make sure you get the guy you want.

In the "RG3 fiasco" they played with fire and got burned. They were told to come with their best offer and came with something less. So by trying to maximize their draft they lost out on one of the best QB prospects in the last 10 years.

So instead of playing with fire again and taking the chance of missing out on both Richardson and Weeden, they made their moves. Sometimes getting greedy and trying to squeeze out every last drop of blood can blow up in your face.

If they decided to take Weeden at 37, who would they have picked at 22? Cordy Glenn? Jonathan Martin? They passed on both those guys at 37 to take Schwartz, so they obviously didn't want them at 22.

Like Hiko said, they ended up getting their QB, RB, and RT, just maybe in a different order than fans expected.

As for not getting a WR, Shurmer said he thinks Weeden will improve the WR's they have. Which means the problem last year was mostly the QB.

Yes... Thursday and Friday were finally the days that the front office became both competent and honest.

Wow... some people want to believe so badly that they'll turn a blind eye to anything and everything.

Tell me, in the past few years, what have they done that would cause you to believe any of that shit you just wrote?

A nebulous trade up for Taylor? For Weeden? Was it the trade up for Hardesty or the selection of Colt to begin with?

Please...

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby ClevelandFanInNewYork » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:49 am

Prosecutor wrote:Like Hiko said, they ended up getting their QB, RB, and RT, just maybe in a different order than fans expected.

Our WRs better be ready to catch the ball.....check this out!

ClevelandFanInNewYork

Favorite Player: Brian Sipe
Least Favorite Player: Any New Yorker

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:49 am

Prosecutor wrote:These are the same complaints as last year when they traded up from 27 to 21 to take Phil Taylor. What are they doing - he would have been there at 27!!!

You must be the guy who walks into a car dealership and pays sticker price. Or maybe you offer to pay over sticker price just so you can "get your car."

And before you say "no one else is in competition for that car so I don't need to overpay" I can tell you that no one else was in competition for Weeden, Schwartz, or Hughes - not where they were selected.

It's about value. The draft is about value, especially outside of the first half of the first round. It's what the Steelers and Ravens do so well and something which the Browns apparently fail to understand.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:05 am

Ziner wrote:Wild run on QBs today. Flying off the board early and often. Good thing we locked ours up 35 picks before the next one was taken. Chiefs and Cards made some aggressive moves to shore up their QB situations tonight.

I forgot the Donks needed a backup / future replacement for Manningface, I'm sure they're happy they sat for a raw project like Osweiler instead of being able to sneak a trade up for someone who might be a little more NFL ready. Its not like Peyton spent a year being unable to throw an NFL pass or anything, right?

And look at all the receivers the Browns took! Oh wait, shit, they reached for the fucking Breakfast Club. Panic, my ass, their WR draft order has been Blackmon-Floyd-Wright-hey lets start drafting UDFA DT projects.

The meltdown continues. I think I'm just going over with Lee 'n CDT 'n just laugh at the spectacle.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:53 am

e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:55 am

I feel bad for that dog.
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:58 am

I think she has her finger up that dog's ass.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby Spin » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:01 am

So by drafting Weeden and no WR's, the Browns are placing ALL of the blame for the worst offense in NFL history on Colt.

They had better be right. Randy is not going to take another several years of declining attendance.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Ziner » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:21 am

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:
Ziner wrote:Wild run on QBs today. Flying off the board early and often. Good thing we locked ours up 35 picks before the next one was taken. Chiefs and Cards made some aggressive moves to shore up their QB situations tonight.

I forgot the Donks needed a backup / future replacement for Manningface, I'm sure they're happy they sat for a raw project like Osweiler instead of being able to sneak a trade up for someone who might be a little more NFL ready. Its not like Peyton spent a year being unable to throw an NFL pass or anything, right?

And look at all the receivers the Browns took! Oh wait, shit, they reached for the fucking Breakfast Club. Panic, my ass, their WR draft order has been Blackmon-Floyd-Wright-hey lets start drafting UDFA DT projects.

The meltdown continues. I think I'm just going over with Lee 'n CDT 'n just laugh at the spectacle.

Now you just look foolish. The Broncos were going to draft a kid that will be 29 when the season starts to sit behind Peyton Manning for 3-4 years. :lmfao:

Let me say it again :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

Seriously, I was literally laughing when I read this, you are such a comedian.

Osweiler was their man the entire time. Everyone person in the media in Denver has said so and was saying so.

But hey, hope your ab strain recovers by the time Kirk Cousins gets drafted.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:22 am

I hate this fucking team

I was all on board till I saw we traded down 20 fucking spots....then to do it for a slug

:loadof:

Drops 'em All, Slow Mass and a gunner on special teams is still the receiving corps and anyone who still gives a rats fucking ass better hope Norwood and Cameron rise to the occasion because other than the POTENTIAL! of Drops 'em All, the other two are narcoleptic cock sucking fucking losers

I have learned to hate and despise Josh Cribbs for his waste of a roster spot @ WR

This fucking team and organizatio will always be........... Still 5 Yrs Away

....and all there is to look forward to here is another 10,000 dumb ass fucking posts of SD bitching and moaning about not drafting 4 fucking QB's

Just fucking kill me now.........
Last edited by Fire Marshall Bill on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby jb » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:22 am

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:After being told repeatedly over and over that this is a passing-centric league
After being told repeatedly over and over that the QB is the alpha and omega position and that they will come at a premium
After the Jets trading the draft for Sanchez
After Claussen and Tebow went in the first round
After the Suck for Luck
After the Redskins sold the house for RG3
After the Dolphins took Ryan Fucking Tannehill eighth

And yet we are shocked shocked that the Browns grabbed a QB at 22 that ordinarily would've been there at 37?

I'll say again: Really?

+ 1
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:26 am

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:I hate this fucking team

I was all on board till I saw we traded down 20 fucking spots....then to do it for a slug

:loadof:

Drops 'em All, Slow Mass and a gunner on special teams is still the receiving corps and anyone who still gives a rats fucking ass better hope Norwood and Cameron rise to the occasion because other than the POTENTIAL! of Drops 'em All, the other two are narcoleptic cock sucking losers

I have learned to hate and despise Josh Cribbs for his waste of a roster spot @ WR

This fucking team and organizatio will always be........... Still 5 Yrs Away

....and all there is to look forward to here is another 10,000 dumb ass posts of SD bitching and moaning about not drafting 4 QB's

Just fucking kill me now.........

No way. This team isn't good yet but it just added three very important parts that will have immediate and lasting impact. A guy who can play a decade at ORT and provides depth for JT now that Steinbach is history, an identity on offense, and a QB with an extremely live arm who can use the whole field; basically DA with a brain. After 10 years of mostly putrid QB play if "all" we get is good 8 years, I'll worry about that in 2021.

Team got a lot better so far. From here on out to is meh and improving the STs hopefully.
jb

Unread postby jb » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:28 am

Spin wrote:So by drafting Weeden and no WR's, the Browns are placing ALL of the blame for the worst offense in NFL history on Colt.

They had better be right. Randy is not going to take another several years of declining attendance.

What they are doing is establishing Little's ceiling and learning if Mitchell and Norwood can amount to anything. Now I'm sure they'd have loved Hill or RR, but not at the expense of watching O'Neal Cousins "protecting" McCoy.

I'm good with their choice and prioritization.
jb

Unread postby JacksonDysonJackson » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:29 am

I hate this fucking team

Yep.

But if we grab Chris Givens and Marvin Jones in the 4th, I'll start convincing myself that this was a good draft.

Such is life as a Browns fan.
JacksonDysonJackson

Unread postby comish » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:45 am

I agree with Pros

By solidifying the OL with the pick of Schwartz it nullifies the whole argument of picking Weeden to early UNLESS you are unhappy with the pick of Weeden all together.

As far as the pick in the 3rd goes.....

well

Uggg :thud:

Is there a viable WR left on the board now?
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
comish
Champion of Mediocrity

Unread postby jb » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:53 am

mattvan1 wrote:It's about value. The draft is about value, especially outside of the first half of the first round. It's what the Steelers and Ravens do so well and something which the Browns apparently fail to understand.

Its about being right. I don't care about value if the prospect doesn't pan out. Remember the gloating over Kam Rahn, or way back to Charleton?

Or what a value Serg Kindle was for Ozzie? Well, they just drafted his replacement.

In the end it wasn't that Veikune or the West Texas State LT was a reach that was so bad. It was that they sucked.
jb

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:53 am

jb wrote:important parts that will have immediate and lasting impact. A guy who can play a decade at ORT and provides depth for JT now that Steinbach is history, an identity on offense, and a QB with an extremely live arm who can use the whole field; basically DA with a brain. After 10 years of mostly putrid QB play if "all" we get is good 8 years, I'll worry about that in 2021.

Team got a lot better so far. From here on out to is meh and improving the STs hopefully.

This.

Jesus..whining about a 3rd round pick?

it matters more we hit on the first two rounds..the rest? you pray they again, either make contributions on ST's or as reserves. Maybe you get lucky and find a Ahtyba Rubin, generally there's one per class. But that's a crap shoot.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:59 am

BTW, I could not be happier that we finally got a RT

My prayers have finally be answered!

I mean, I'd have loved to have WR, but damn it was getting old watching our QB getting killed due to that vortex of suck.

Triple-S

Unread postby jb » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:00 am

Triple-S wrote:BTW, I could not be happier that we finally got a RT

My prayers have finally be answered!

I mean, I'd have loved to have WR, but damn it was getting old watching our QB getting killed due to that vortex of suck.

A WR was a need and remains a need.

An ORT was a must. They couldn't have taken a snap without a high quality prospect there. In fact, I hope they draft another ORT prospect. O'Neil Cousins can't play a lick. Makes me miss St Clair.
jb

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:02 am

Triple-S wrote:
jb wrote:important parts that will have immediate and lasting impact. A guy who can play a decade at ORT and provides depth for JT now that Steinbach is history, an identity on offense, and a QB with an extremely live arm who can use the whole field; basically DA with a brain. After 10 years of mostly putrid QB play if "all" we get is good 8 years, I'll worry about that in 2021.

This.

Jesus..whining about a 3rd round pick?

it matters more we hit on the first two rounds..the rest? you pray they again, either make contributions on ST's or as reserves. Maybe you get lucky and find a Ahtyba Rubin, generally there's one per class. But that's a crap shoot.

There are still starters out there in the third .

Hughes threw in the towel they quit looking for starters and are now rounding out the roster .

Lots of wild talent left at wide out adams Wright Toon and streeter ..

I hope we get the Honey bdger if he's not gone , undersized wild man .

Miller is great value now , its where Hardesty should have been picked instead of using three picks and a move up.

Watch the inbred and Ozzie , I bet they get two players each with less picks picking later than us .

We have to start matching up like that.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:03 am

jb wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:It's about value. The draft is about value, especially outside of the first half of the first round. It's what the Steelers and Ravens do so well and something which the Browns apparently fail to understand.

Its about being right. I don't care about value if the prospect doesn't pan out. Remember the gloating over Kam Rahn, or way back to Charleton?

In the end it wasn't that Veikune or the West Texas State LT was a reach that was so bad. It was that they sucked.

I think having the prospect pan out is a given, and that is part of the value equation. Taking the least amount of risk to fill a need. It's not a zero sum game - selecting Hughes in the 3rd instead of today, even if he pans out, means that's one more lost opportunity that will have to be made up in FA or via trade or next year.

I get what they're doing. I just seems a bit tunnel-visionish to me.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:04 am

jb wrote:A WR was a need and remains a need.

An ORT was a must. They couldn't have taken a snap without a high quality prospect there. In fact, I hope they draft another ORT prospect. O'Neil Cousins can't play a lick. Makes me miss St Clair.

I felt bad criticizing Pashos all year after the injury he played with.

But yes, indeed. Lets see how Pinkston and Luvao play at Guards now, and pray we stay healthy.

Triple-S

Unread postby jb » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:06 am

Triple-S wrote:
jb wrote:A WR was a need and remains a need.

I felt bad criticizing Pashos all year after the injury he played with.

But yes, indeed. Lets see how Pinkston and Luvao play at Guards now, and pray we stay healthy.

I thought Pink got better.

I have low optimism for Lavauo. But again, you can't fix it all in one draft. I think they netted 3 potential quality starters. Do that with theWR's and pass rush and maybe a DB next draft and we start to compete.

I think we'll have a shot at a gem changing WR or elite pass rusher when we draft op 5 again next draft.

And maybe, just maybe, we can get things like a RG in FA like a normal franchise.
jb

PreviousNext

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL