Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Dear Lord....

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: Dear Lord....

Unread postby jb » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:34 am

peeker643 wrote:K I think with kids it's about finding a reason to hang more with dad and they grow into the fandom part.

Funny how an actual parent gets it.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:24 am

Squints wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^

You are right, but at least 'your generation" had one of the more exciting years of Browns football in the Super Bowl Era. While "my generation" had the Bernie years. And even though they didn't even make a Super Bowl those teams will make fans for life.

What does the next generation have? What does Triple-S's generation have? A year of LeRoy Hoard running hard, making us temporarily forget that he was from scUM? Hoard catching a TD on his back? Metcalf's two returns? Run Willie Run and backing into the playoffs? 6 good games from DA? All this plus The Move and all of the losing that has followed. This is not the stuff that makes life long fans.

I really don't know, but my 7 year old daughter has no idea the Browns exist or the NFL for that matter. My area is heavily into the Steelers and she could care less about them, but she wants to go to the Shoe and see a game.

1980 - Browns team that has been bad for a long time has up and down season, gets to the playoffs, and lose their first game in heartbreaking fashion. Several years of suckage follow.

2001 - Browns team that has been bad for a long time has up and down season, gets to the playoffs, and lose their first game in heartbreaking fashion. Several years of suckage follow.

Yep, completely different.

I'm 40. I can remember about 8 good seasons in my LIFE.

I get that plenty of fringe fans are not gonna care about the Browns since they've been bad a long time. That happens everywhere to every generation in every sport.

Plenty of fringe fans from my generation drifted to the Steelers and Cowboys too.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby jb » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:08 am

Hikohadon wrote:

You are right, but at least 'your generation" had one of the more exciting years of Browns football in the Super Bowl Era. While "my generation" had the Bernie years. And even though they didn't even make a Super Bowl those teams will make fans for life.

What does the next generation have? What does Triple-S's generation have? A year of LeRoy Hoard running hard, making us temporarily forget that he was from scUM? Hoard catching a TD on his back? Metcalf's two returns? Run Willie Run and backing into the playoffs? 6 good games from DA? All this plus The Move and all of the losing that has followed. This is not the stuff that makes life long fans.

I really don't know, but my 7 year old daughter has no idea the Browns exist or the NFL for that matter. My area is heavily into the Steelers and she could care less about them, but she wants to go to the Shoe and see a game.

1980 - Browns team that has been bad for a long time has up and down season, gets to the playoffs, and lose their first game in heartbreaking fashion. Several years of suckage follow.

2001 - Browns team that has been bad for a long time has up and down season, gets to the playoffs, and lose their first game in heartbreaking fashion. Several years of suckage follow.

I get that plenty of fringe fans are not gonna care about the Browns since they've been bad a long time. That happens everywhere to every generation in every sport.

Plenty of fringe fans from my generation drifted to the Steelers and Cowboys too.

Booo.

Be real Hiko. We backed in in 2001 and no one had expectations. In 1980 we were legitimately thinking SB.

The excitement level was not comparable. Plus they were the Real Browns.
jb

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:19 am

jb wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

Booo.

Be real Hiko. We backed in in 2001 and no one had expectations. In 1980 we were legitimately thinking SB.

The excitement level was not comparable. Plus they were the Real Browns.

"In my day, we walked 7 miles through the snow uphill both ways to watch the Browns play, and they always won."

Admit that there was more excitement around that 1980 team.

Also admit that it died quick and hard the next year, just like the more limited excitement entering the 2002 and 2008 seasons.

It's fuckin' sad that we have nothing but a few spotty seasons that ended in incredible gut-wrenching disappointment to look back on as the "Glory Days".

PS - "Real Browns" means nothing to me. Old Browns, New Browns... they all suck.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby jb » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:51 am

Hikohadon wrote:Also admit that it died quick and hard the next year, just like the more limited excitement entering the 2002 and 2008 seasons.

PS - "Real Browns" means nothing to me. Old Browns, New Browns... they all suck.

By half time when Fouts put up about a duce and a quarter.

I know I view these impostors differently. The rats should be us. Product of Ozzie. Ymmv.
jb

Previous

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL