Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

The Maddux

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

The Maddux

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:08 pm

By way of Calcaterra, I found this blog post with an cool new baseball stat.

How awesome is it? So awesome that I'll bet even Pup and LP like it.

The Maddux. Behold.

http://groundballwitheyes.blogspot.com/2012/04/maddux.html
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: The Maddux

Unread postby pup » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:44 pm

Does it include routinely getting pitches 6 inches off the edge of the plate called a strike to put you in pitcher's counts all the time?

By the way. I hate Greg Maddux. Almost as much as stats.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:00 pm

Who the hell can hate Greg Maddux? Christ but you're miserable.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:13 pm

I can't believe people around here say they don't like you. You are just delightful.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:24 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I can't believe people around here say they don't like you. You are just delightful.

I know right? I don't know why people say that. I think I'm a swell fellow.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:28 pm

Outside of when the pre-coked Dwight Gooden burst on the scene, Maddux was my favorite pitcher to watch ever.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:55 pm

leadpipe wrote:Outside of when the pre-coked Dwight Gooden burst on the scene, Maddux was my favorite pitcher to watch ever.

Me too. Loved watching that guy pitch. I wish I could say the same about pre-coke Gooden. 1984 was a hell of a year for him. But I doubt I saw him pitch much at all. Back then you could pretty much see Cleveland or the Braves. After that it was box scores.

A few years ago I caught an old game on MLB Network. I think the station was fairly new. It was June 28, 1976 Tigers v Yankees Monday Night Baseball. Fidrych was pitching. Uecker was announcing. It was mesmerizing.

Fidrych was an absolute lunatic. Talking to the ball and himself. Patting the mound. All of the crazy things you[ve heard about but probably haven't seen. The stands where packed for the kid (who was 21 at the time I think) and they were going nuts. He got a standing O and a curtain call after the game followed by an on field interview with Uecker. I thought the fans were going to rush the field. For a freakin' June game!

I've never seen anything like it and it was absolutely wonderful. Anyone who likes baseball would be doing themselves a solid if they ever stumbled across that game.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:00 pm

Why not call it pitching a "Tweksbury"? Or at least say the other team got "Tweksburied".

Really, a CG with 78 pitches? Insane.

I guess this is as a good a place as any, but this website is pretty good, especially for newbie baseball guys.

http://eephusleague.com/
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:38 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
leadpipe wrote:Outside of when the pre-coked Dwight Gooden burst on the scene, Maddux was my favorite pitcher to watch ever.

Me too. Loved watching that guy pitch. I wish I could say the same about pre-coke Gooden. 1984 was a hell of a year for him. But I doubt I saw him pitch much at all. Back then you could pretty much see Cleveland or the Braves. After that it was box scores.

A few years ago I caught an old game on MLB Network. I think the station was fairly new. It was June 28, 1976 Tigers v Yankees Monday Night Baseball. Fidrych was pitching. Uecker was announcing. It was mesmerizing.

Fidrych was an absolute lunatic. Talking to the ball and himself. Patting the mound. All of the crazy things you[ve heard about but probably haven't seen. The stands where packed for the kid (who was 21 at the time I think) and they were going nuts. He got a standing O and a curtain call after the game followed by an on field interview with Uecker. I thought the fans were going to rush the field. For a freakin' June game!

I've never seen anything like it and it was absolutely wonderful. Anyone who likes baseball would be doing themselves a solid if they ever stumbled across that game.

Saw The Bird pitch the second game of a doubleheader at Municipal Stadium. It was "Banner Day" - used to be a deal where fans could make a banner and parade it around the field between games. Someone had one reading "The Bird is a Turd." Anyways, I was very young and still remember quite a few details, so that ought a tell you something.

And when cable TV started making the rounds in NE Ohio, WOR out of New York was in the package along with TBS, so you could watch the Mets about as much as the Braves. That's were I used to xcatch the Doc.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby swerb » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:54 pm

Dennis Martinez, Kevin Gross, Chris Bosio, Kenny Rogers, Kevin Brown, David Cone, and Derek Lowe all threw a no-hitter-Maddux. Martinez, Rogers, and Cone each had a perfect-Maddux.

Phillip Humber with the fourth perfect-Maddux in history.

Great link BTW moscratch. Very well done by the author.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby pup » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:02 pm

Hating stats and Greg Maddux makes me some sort of miserable asshole?

Wouldn't want to know what you guys would think of me if you knew my opinion on puppies.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:53 pm

Stats...no. Baseball is beautiful and there are a lot of ways to love it. Stats is just one aspect. I love it because I've always loved the maths. But it don't make no nevermind.

But Greg Maddux, well yeah...not liking Greg Maddux absolutely makes you a miserable asshole. Frankly I'm not sure how you could see it any other way.

But no worries, you were already a miserable asshole well before the Maddux revelation. It just adds one more thing to he list. Besides, we are pretty much all miserable assholes. You're just way better at it.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:03 pm

Pup may be a miserable asshole but that does not mean he's wrong. Greg Maddux was the the greatest beneficiary of a liberal strike zone in recent memory.

Now, that also doesn't mean that Maddux wasn't a great pitcher or didn't have amazing command. Essentially, his control was so good that in inning 1 he put it on the black and kept moving the ball further and further outside every inning until balls were 8 inches off the plate being called strikes.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:46 pm

FWIW: my three favorite baseball players ever are Manny, Bonds, and Maddux
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby dmiles » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:17 pm

I think there is a special place in hell for any umpire that gives strikes off of the outer part of the plate no matter who is pitching. 1-ball off I can live with, but these pricks who give strikes on balls going across the inside line of the oppo batter box need to be publicly flogged. Doesn't mean I didn't enjoy Maddux, because if I am coaching a pitcher and I know the umpire is a tool, I'd fully expect my pitcher to attack out there where he's giving the call.

I have some video somewhere of Maddux at 18 or 19 and he was 90+ at that age BTW. It's very hard for a righty to even get a shot if they are below 90, but once he got there he stayed long past the time when the velocity dropped off.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:59 pm

You don't win 355 games in The Show simply because some umpires had a liberal strike-zone in the 90s.

I'd read an article that talked about his approach, and how he'd set hitters up for later in the season by pitching a certain way in certain situations in spring training games.

That's why he won 355.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby hebner20 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:43 pm

This was an awesome preformance. A complete game shutout in 68 ptiches. This was back in 1976. see below.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... _76133594/
hebner20

Favorite Player: shoeless joe
Least Favorite Player: Barry Bonds

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:09 pm

^^^nice link there. Sound like Randy Jones might have more Madduxes than Maddux.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB