Text Size

College Sports Arena

2013 Recruiting

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: 2013 Recruiting

Unread postby furls » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:40 pm

OK, so this is one of those rare moments when I eat Crow. Man it is tasty crow too....

So if you guys remember, I was pretty irritated with some of the better OH kids going elsewhere (Plan B kids vanishing, Ben Gedeon for example) and the staff's apparent lack of interest in some pretty good looking OH kids (Malik Zaire would be a good example).

I was very concerned because those are some nice football players, players I would be perfectly content seeing in S&G. The staff really hasn't given them much effort and that bothered me, primarily because I thought it was foolish to go all in on these elite OOS kids. The last couple of weeks and likely this weekend have made me look like an idiot. Raise your hand if you thought that Bosa, Baugh and Barrett commits were imminent a month ago?

Up until last week I thought the luster off of Meyer at tOSU had worn off some with recruits, boy was I wrong. Tressel recruited very well, but nowhere near this level. Tressel's staff sucked at recruiting, Meyer has built his staff around recruiting. These are going to be fun times in OH.

Based on his recent interview on BN$ I would not be even a little surprised to see Vonn Bell in this class in the next couple of months as well. As great as the Tressel year's were (and they were great), the Meyer era at tOSU is going to be something much different. Tressel's typical recruiting class had 2-3 guys in it that were show stoppers and a lot of very good players. Meyer will triple those numbers routinely.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby furls » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:49 pm

Here is an updated Class list:

-Jalin Marshall
-Cameron Burrows
-JT Barret
-Marcus Baugh
-Billy Price
-Evan Lisle
-Eli Woodard
-Jayme Thompson
-Ezekiel Elliot
-Tracy Sprinkle

Here are the guys that I think are likely in but have not committed yet:
-Anzalone
-Bosa
-Love (rumors he may not have a commitable offer anymore)
-Heuerman
-Gibson

Bringing us to 15.

We still need 1-2 OL and 1-2 DTs and 1-2 playmakers and 1-2 safeties. If you add all my 1-2's there you will see I think we take 4-8 more players giving us 19-23 (likely 20ish)

OL:
Pocic (I think around 70% likely)
Lazard (been quiet lately)

DT's:
Hurst
Hill

Playmakers (RB/WR):
Quick

Safety:
Vonn Bell
Dymonte Thomas (??flip??)
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:47 pm

Sprinkle said in an interview they told him they were only taking one more D-lineman in this class. My guess is that is Boss and Sprinkle is your DT. Also Love was just at Nebraska, had a great visit and has the Mooney connection there, I am a little worried he is gone from lock to out and some insiders have rumbled similar. Mooney and Y-town is a big pull for Nebraska, especially with his stud safety teammate already committed.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby furls » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:02 pm

Honestly, I could get over Love going elsewhere as well. I think he is a very good player, but the Bucks are already really deep at LB and they have Kimbrough on standby.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:56 pm

Greene hints that the Jaylon Smith situation is trending the wrong way, and he's not optimistic there. But this is already an impressive class, and who thinks Meyer won't close fast? I'd take Furls' projection and run...with maybe a punter added on.

And your BN guys had some nice scouting on Barrett....more excited about him having read it.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:14 pm

In case you missed it....this is what a recruiting coordinator does...

https://twitter.com/markpantoni/status/ ... 25/photo/1
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:24 pm

Barett+Jalin+Baugh= http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozJVDczY4Ms&feature=youtube_gdata_player

E0 you get my email?

Agree Furls, I'd have sent you the email as well but you already read them I'm sure. Anyone else, just PM me.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby furls » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:24 pm

Great stuff coming out about Barrett. I like the kid a lot, reminds me of Miller who is, by all accounts, a great kid.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:26 pm

And You know what the really interesting part is???? As pointed out by others, these days the footwork of today is reaped tomorro, meaning 2014...(see UM OH class of 2013) AND.... Friday Night Lights has not yet happened this season, where Pantoni really earns a paycheck....
JCoz

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:55 pm

Yeah I got it and meant to PM you back. Thanks, real good stuff.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby neoleo » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:40 am

furls wrote:OK, so this is one of those rare moments when I eat Crow. Man it is tasty crow too....

So if you guys remember, I was pretty irritated with some of the better OH kids going elsewhere (Plan B kids vanishing, Ben Gedeon for example) and the staff's apparent lack of interest in some pretty good looking OH kids (Malik Zaire would be a good example).

I was very concerned because those are some nice football players, players I would be perfectly content seeing in S&G. The staff really hasn't given them much effort and that bothered me, primarily because I thought it was foolish to go all in on these elite OOS kids. The last couple of weeks and likely this weekend have made me look like an idiot. Raise your hand if you thought that Bosa, Baugh and Barrett commits were imminent a month ago?

Up until last week I thought the luster off of Meyer at tOSU had worn off some with recruits, boy was I wrong. Tressel recruited very well, but nowhere near this level. Tressel's staff sucked at recruiting, Meyer has built his staff around recruiting. These are going to be fun times in OH.

Based on his recent interview on BN$ I would not be even a little surprised to see Vonn Bell in this class in the next couple of months as well. As great as the Tressel year's were (and they were great), the Meyer era at tOSU is going to be something much different. Tressel's typical recruiting class had 2-3 guys in it that were show stoppers and a lot of very good players. Meyer will triple those numbers routinely.

I'll help myself to some of that crow too. I still have that little worry that all of our national recruits won't understand the rivalry while all the pissed off Ohio boys up north come ready to play. But I think the difference between the Coooper years is that Meyer "gets it" and won't let his players forget.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:46 am

All through spring practice Meyer has had a video highlighting The Rivalry and it's history playing on loop in the players lockerroom.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby neoleo » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:03 am

e0y2e3 wrote:All through spring practice Meyer has had a video highlighting The Rivalry and it's history playing on loop in the players lockerroom.

Awesome
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby furls » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:31 pm

I am also most worried about great OH kids going to scUM. Think about it, if all the great OH kids go to scUM augmented with some national kids, that means scUM will actually be fielding tOSU's teams from the last decade from a talent perspective. That would make for a pretty damn good team.

Fortunately it looks like Meyer will continue to take the best out of OH and with the emergence of Wisco, MSU and Pelini's ties to NE scUM will face some competition for the scraps. Cooper recruited out of state well, but I don't think it was quite this well.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:10 am

The class the Urbs is putting together is great, on the heels of what he did in January. Look for 3 possible comitts tomorrow.
Symbolic47

Favorite Player: Santana
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo

Unread postby furls » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:42 am

Reading some buzz on a few more than three...

Guys I am reading about as possible commits are:

-Bosa
-Anzalone
-Hurst
-Lewis Neal
-James Quick
-Heuerman

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:50 am

Don't forget Worley from Glenville. I'd put him more likely than Neal and Hurst, as Hurst would mean a marked change in the number of D-Line recruits they are taking.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Symbolic47 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Anzalone in

Bosa and Worley might announce tonight
Symbolic47

Favorite Player: Santana
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:13 pm

Worley has a time limit on his offer, it is due or die for the kid.

And others are in.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:52 pm

Also worth noting, Dorian Bell was on the sidelines in an OSU pullover today. Weird to say the least.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:44 am

Wonder if there is any chance that Bell gets another shot. I am pessimistic about it, but since he would be transferring between divisions he would not have to sit out. Kid is an obvious talent, the question is how will the staff feel about his "hiatus" and would they think that he has learned his lesson. In all reality, he was probably just there supporting some of his friends from the team.

Bell would have two years of eligibility (redshirt in 2009, played for tOSU in 2010, played for Duquesne in 2011) and tOSU does have 81 athletes on scholarship right now. I am not saying is likely or probable, just that it is possible that he could transfer in and play.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:04 am

Guaranteed the powers that be have broached D-Bell. He was there for his "buds", but was also there to listen to any possibilities. Bottom line if Urb thinks he's a fit down the road and worth a possible one and done.....why not ?

Everybody makes mistakes....well everyone I know anyway.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby furls » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:04 am

The more I think about it, the more I think that Bell having 2 years of eligibility left would be a deal breaker. If he had one year left, I would be more likely to take him, just because they have the extra scholarship this year. With two years left, he would be taking up one of our limited 2013 scholarships which are already in short supply.

tOSU has three more LBs (Marcus, Williams and Perkins) reporting in June in addition to the 2 2012 LBS (Perry and Roberts) that have already reported. Bell could be a nice one year band aid, but at two years he hinders the future of the roster.

I really like Marcus, I think he jumps right into the 2 deep. Roberts has been a big surprise in spring ball, it will be interesting to see if he maintains his spot in the 2 deep once the competition picks up some. All the reports from spring indicate Roberts will be the next big time unheralded LB recruit, I am just a little skeptical because I am pretty sure that my son could make the 2 deep at LB right now because the depth is so bad.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:08 am

^^^ Actually very good points; however, I would take Bell in a second because you can never count on "what is coming down the pike" and who may stick around ( attrition), and like you say if you are in the two deep now and I am your back-up...well

Lazard verballed to West Virginia.
pod2dawg

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:28 am

It's unfair to call Roberts a big surprise during spring ball when they had a walk-on QB transfer playing LB this week due to injuries. The position is a shit storm of a disaster after the ones. I'm yet to read anyone breaking down practice ever noting anything good that Luke Roberts did besides "being a body"
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:48 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:It's unfair to call Roberts a big surprise during spring ball when they had a walk-on QB transfer playing LB this week due to injuries. The position is a shit storm of a disaster after the ones. I'm yet to read anyone breaking down practice ever noting anything good that Luke Roberts did besides "being a body"

Well played and speaks to my point. There is no one behind the starters. Will be interesting to see what happens when the last 3 LBs from 12 show up. If I had to rank the 5 LBs from this years class based on highlights and camp info alone it would be:

1. Marcus
2. Perkins
3. Roberts
4. Perry
5. Williams

Perkins is cut from the same cloth as (physically). Same size, same build, same speed. Whether he has the instincts... well that has yet to be seen, but I am really excited about his upside. I am extremely excited about what I saw from Marcus' film, it was amazing. I am flabbergasted that the kid is not at least a 4*, could even make the case for a 5th if you compare his film to some of the 5* LBs from last year.

Roberts just strikes me as a football player, the kind of guy that reads plays well and doesn't miss tackles. Perry is out of position, he is just too tall and lanky. He could be a DE or something, but at 6'4 to 6'5 he is going to struggle to play with leverage and in coverage. Hell of an athlete.

I really don't care much from Cam Williams. I cannot believe that he is higher ranked than all the other LBs. Kind of skinny, not too big and not really fast enough to make up for it. He is also a "drag down tackler." If you watch his film you will see a guy that is taken for a ride by the ball carrier way too often. In a nutshell, he is the opposite of Spielman, who met the RB in the hole and drove him backward. Williams is the kind of LB, that meets the RB in the hole on 3rd and 2 after the DC makes the perfect call. You jump out of your chair because the opposing team should be punting, then you watch in horror as the RB takes Williams 3 more yards for a gain of 4.

As for Bell, the plot thickens.... BN$ message board says that Bell got on the winning teams bus. Very strange.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:12 pm

As for Bell, the plot thickens.... BN$ message board says that Bell got on the winning teams bus. Very strange.[/quote]

;-) ;) :wink: :clap: :dingle:
pod2dawg

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:51 pm

FWIW: Mass peeps love Armani but hate Cam Williams. Think he is soft. He's my new favorite player.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:18 pm

Watching Cam's highlight footage, he plays soft. Not a hitter, not a big contact guy. The exact opposite of a B1G LB. Hopefully he plays better than that, but that is what I see too.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Rusty Kuntz » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:47 am

I am hearing that Bosa is an official verbal as of very late Sunday night.

Any of you guys that are in the know hear this or can confirm this either way??
Rusty Kuntz

Favorite Player: Rusty Kuntz
Least Favorite Player: Lebron

Unread postby furls » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:57 am

Anthony Rothman is reporting as a done deal, but there is nothing official out of Bosa at 1am monday morning. Every insider for tOSU is reporting him as a commit. I think Bosa was a done deal last weekend, but this weekend sealed the deal.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:01 am

e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:07 am

e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:04 am

Bosa just went public with his commit.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:21 am

And another DE, Lewis Neal in.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:44 am

http://ohiostate.scout.com/a.z?s=145&p= ... id=5184356

Neal is a bit of a surprise...though he is reportedly being recruited as a linebacker...presumably preferred by the staff over Kimbrough??

Had offers from ACC teams, and some of the second tier SEC schools...S. Carolina, Tenn, Vandy...will be interesting to see if they are now full at LB or what....definitely seeing a trend to the smaller LB's...Anzalone and this kid are both in the 210-215 range.

BTW, after watching the Anzalone film, I think I want him running back kickoffs in addition to playing linebacker...only half kidding...

Edit: word from Greene is "this puts Kimbrough in the 'come to camp and blow us away' status. I don't think he does that". Also says there will be a spot reserved for Jaylon Smith no matter what, but he looks to be ND-bound.

Edit: Standing corrected...Keith Neibuhr (Rivals) says Neal checked in at a NC camp this year at 6'1", 232.

danwismar

Unread postby dmiles » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:08 pm

So tOSU defensive recruiting seems to be get 'Bama/LSU type talent on the D-Line, which allows you to get the smaller LB's who can fly in space. The D-Line of course is the key to the Wisky running attack because with the smaller LBs you can't afford to be blown backwards.

How is Michigan prepping for the post-Denard era are they going old-school Michigan smash mouth again?
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:16 pm

dmiles wrote:How is Michigan prepping for the post-Denard era are they going old-school Michigan smash mouth again?

Looks that way...their new ('13) stud QB is a pro-style dropback passer...and that's Hoke's track record. They have recruited a big, power-oriented offensive line...I see them going away from the dual-threat QB-based offense.

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:20 pm

UM has recruited the best O-Line class in the nation two years straight now. They also have failed to grab a single great WR or RB prospect.

What they are doing is self-evident.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jb » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:33 pm

dmiles wrote:So tOSU defensive recruiting seems to be get 'Bama/LSU type talent on the D-Line, which allows you to get the smaller LB's who can fly in space. The D-Line of course is the key to the Wisky running attack because with the smaller LBs you can't afford to be blown backwards.

How is Michigan prepping for the post-Denard era are they going old-school Michigan smash mouth again?

'bama has small Lbers?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:34 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:UM has recruited the best O-Line class in the nation two years straight now. They also have failed to grab a single great WR or RB prospect.

What they are doing is self-evident.

The Cleveland Browns strategy?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:39 pm

FWIW: Neal means there will be no Kimborough in this class, he is being taken on as an LB.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:46 pm

dmiles wrote:So tOSU defensive recruiting seems to be get 'Bama/LSU type talent on the D-Line, which allows you to get the smaller LB's who can fly in space. The D-Line of course is the key to the Wisky running attack because with the smaller LBs you can't afford to be blown backwards.

I dont think OSU's defensive strategy resembles Alabamas very much at all beyond recruiting highly rated players.

Bama's LBers have been anything but small.
JCoz

Unread postby dmiles » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:16 pm

JCoz wrote:

I dont think OSU's defensive strategy resembles Alabamas very much at all beyond recruiting highly rated players.

Bama's LBers have been anything but small.

My mistake, sometimes I tend to stereotype a speed defense that has guys flying to the ball, but now that I think about it Bama has had big strong LBs. Really I need to remember Saban seems to build a Big10 style team with better athletes in the trenches and on the edges.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Re: 2013 Recruitin

Unread postby furls » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:25 pm

http://vimeo.com/36709815

That is a very good Bosa highlight video. Great clarity, you can really see him play there (much better than some scratchy youtube). Here are a couple of things that I love about the kid:

1. High intensity, High motor. Just keeps going play after play.
2. I love the fact that he is playing inside in the highlights. In most impressive DE highlight reels you see a kid that is very athletic on the outside beat an overmatch tackle with bad technique, most of the time the tackle doesn't even really get a hand on the kid. With Bosa on the inside, playing Tackle in this video you can see how he beats blocks....
3. Quickness, the kid is very sudden.
4. Great Hands.
5. The frame, 6'6" 260. This is a JJ Watt style DE.
6. The competition... STA plays a schedule that would make anyone cringe. They are big boy football in FLA. He is beating very good competition. He is going to blow people away on the all star circuit after the season, particularly if they move him outside.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:38 pm

Pet Greene, Quick (who has my favorite film of the year) was very, very impressed
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:49 pm

Mike Heuerman, long time OSU lean and brother of current tOSU TE Jeff Heuerman, picks ND today over Ohio State.

My reaction is.... meh. Heuerman is a nice player, Baugh has way more upside and Nick Vannet still has 4 years of eligibility left. OSU has 4 TEs on the team now (Stoneburner (SR), Heuerman (So), Vannett (rFr) and Blake Thomas) and they have already secured Baugh's commitment for 2013. Schollies are a bit tight (maybe 20 available this year) so I am OK with reallocating that scholarship and getting another WR, DB or OL

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:55 pm

Kid told Greene he was going official to OSU Monday, by Thursday he is a Domer. Kelley did some serious work here.

Josh McNeil is now back in the picture, btw.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:42 pm

I'd like McNeil back in the picture.
JCoz

Unread postby furls » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:34 pm

McNeil is the kind of prospect the Buckeyes now have the luxury of pursuing. Kid has an enormous upside but also a huge bust factor. The depth at the position and the commitment of Baugh makes McNeil a great prospect for the Buckeyes.

McNeil could be the next guy that we all say, "OMG, how did the recruiting services miss this kid." I could also see him ending up as a guy that we say, "hmmm, I am not sure that kid will ever see the field." I think it is about 50:50.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports Arena