Text Size

College Sports Arena

Mike Adams

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Mike Adams

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:46 pm

1) This is really interesting spin re: tat-gate (there are emergency assistance funds and stuff, remember MoC) http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2012 ... suspension

2) 19 reps? I mean holy fuck is that bad. I think as a freshman is was at 25 and that wasn't anything absurd at YSU....... good lord Mike.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Mike Adams

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:26 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:2) 19 reps? I mean holy fuck is that bad. I think as a freshman is was at 25 and that wasn't anything absurd at YSU....... good lord Mike.

Lazy, disinterested or both.

Neither is good.

In spurts he can be as good as there is but I wouldn't want to the the coach responsible for motivating him nor the organization that relies on him.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby furls » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:42 pm

Sorry, that just screams what I have been saying about the strength and conditioning program at tOSU for the last 4 years or so. You wonder why guys are not really developing, then you see something like this.

Don't get me wrong, Simon is still getting some in the gym, but when your potential AA LT is that badly conditioned it is no wonder why Mike Brewster never really got better from his Fr. year or why JB Shugarts was still playing like a freshman 35 starts later.

Our LBs don't look much better. It is apparent that the team's program wasn't physically developing anyone. The only guys developing are the guys who are gym rats by nature.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:54 pm

Brewster did a very acceptable 29 reps, FWIW. No idea on Shugarts.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:42 pm

AFAIK, Shugarts wasn't invited to the combine.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:50 am

Motivated big guys would laugh at the number whether their conditioning program was top notch or non-existent. The combine reinforces a lot of what people know athletically and in other areas.

Adams is lazy and difficult to motivate. That's not a guess. It's pretty much a consensus amongst the scouts.

Doesn't mean that the OSU S&C program wasn't a soup sandwich either, just not necessarily the reason Adams is a lazy fuck.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby furls » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:31 am

To use one of my least favorite corporate buzzwords.... it is a datapoint. Adam's sloth is pretty well known, but this is a data point regarding the OL coaching and the S&C. Take a look at tOSU's LBs last year and look at them as they have been in the program: they started out looking a lot like pretty much all top notch HS FB players, but instead of developing into 'Bama or LSU style monsters, they looked soft fat and slow. Not surprisingly that is how they played.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:56 pm

furls wrote:To use one of my least favorite corporate buzzwords.... it is a datapoint. Adam's sloth is pretty well known, but this is a data point regarding the OL coaching and the S&C. Take a look at tOSU's LBs last year and look at them as they have been in the program: they started out looking a lot like pretty much all top notch HS FB players, but instead of developing into 'Bama or LSU style monsters, they looked soft fat and slow. Not surprisingly that is how they played.

I'll give ya last year. Can't argue it. Maybe a lot to do with Tressel leaving and maybe it was headed that way anyway.

But OSU athletes at the Combine ALWAYS performed well at the Combine and that was a combination of their individual workouts and the S & C staff IMO.

Go back to last year with Saine and Sanz, go to Chekwa, B Rolle, Jenkins, etc., etc., go to pretty much anywhere. Good God, Robiskie ran his best 40 ever at the Combine. If you're going to pin the past year and the Combine failure of Adams on the S & C staff then I don't think you can overlook the way the same staff went about it prior to this past season.

My $0.02.

ETA- Look back at the list of draftees and it's really despicable the lack of OL talent.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:24 pm

Devier Posey was not affected: 4.37 40-yd dash at Combine

And Dan Herron bested Mike Adams by 3 reps on the bench.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:48 pm

The combine is a stupid event that should have no bearing on anything.

A bunch of jock sniffers with stopwatches who think their input is incredibly valuable.

It's not.

I want the best football player, not the best at weight lifting, jumping, or running in a straight line sans pads.

Mike Adams is a lazy fat pile. I knew that without the NFL's whorish self promoting meat market of skillz.

The combine is for the same people who like shiny things and banging rocks together.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:57 pm

peeker643 wrote:Devier Posey was not affected: 4.37 40-yd dash at Combine

Good. Now the stat nerds can talk him up and some dumbshit GM will draft him too high, he will ignore the extreme lack of focus and dropped passes because he has a hard on for a 40 time.

Jock sniffers and fucking nerds.

They have way too much input, they should be laughed at as parasites.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby furls » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:07 pm

Fair points peek, there are some guys that are doing well at the combine and some of these guys that you pointed out are some of the good guys with impeccable work ethics. Sanz and Robo are great examples. What is troubling to me is the overall decline in athleticism in the team, they were still getting great recruits, but combine invites are down and so is draft performance. Both were continuing to trend down prior to Meyer's hire.

Think back to 2004, where tOSU set the draft record with 14 players drafted and compare that against recent results. To me there is no question that the S&C staff is at least partly to blame. The 2008 and 2009 classes, which should have been the basis for tOSUs draft entries this year, were two of the highest ranked classes in tOSU's recent past and they both fizzled. Individual players, like Dorian Bell and Jamaal Berry, will fall short from time to time, but to see entire classes fail speaks to a greater player development issue.

The lack of OL development is staggering and obviously falls on Jim Bollman, a guy that in retrospect will be remembered as a MISERABLE coach. This decline in player performance does seem to correlate pretty well with Eric Lichter taking over as strength coach in 2006 or perhaps with Butch Reynolds 2008 resignation. I can just tell you that when I look at tOSU's players today they just don't seem as athletic as they did 8 years ago, and it is pretty much across the board.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:15 pm

Adams also tested positive for pot at the combine.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:11 pm

Raise your hand if you're shocked at this news.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:43 pm

I'm appalled that a 20ish year old kid would ever inhale the smoke from a Cannabis plant. It's wrong. Every time you smoke dope a terrorist wins somehow.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:53 pm

There is a difference between smoking dope and not stopping in advance enough to get yourself clean before a test you know is coming (and the threat of losing a good chunk of money on that test).

It's similar to showing up to the combine and benching 225 19 times.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:54 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I'm appalled that a 20ish year old kid would ever inhale the smoke from a Cannabis plant. It's wrong. Every time you smoke dope a terrorist wins somehow.

No, not at all. But the fact that he apparently couldnt lay off of it for a few days where people who want to pay him millions of dollars poke and prod him a little bit probably means he's lazy, a complete dumbass, or both.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:04 pm

Since when does pot = dope?
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:09 pm

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:Since when does pot = dope?

It's a general term.

My friend's Taiwanese mom always accused us of "smoking/taking the dopes" when we hung out at his house.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:12 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I'm appalled that a 20ish year old kid would ever inhale the smoke from a Cannabis plant. It's wrong. Every time you smoke dope a terrorist wins somehow.

No, not at all. But the fact that he apparently couldnt lay off of it for a few days where people who want to pay him millions of dollars poke and prod him a little bit probably means he's lazy, a complete dumbass, or both.

I don't give a shit if he baked in his car before going into the combine.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:30 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:

Nor do I.

But, you do understand that the people who want to give him a lot of money might give a shit. And whether or not they SHOULD give a shit is beside the point. And him knowing that those people give a shit and it could cost him a lot of money makes it an epically stupid thing to do?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:43 pm

lol. No.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby furls » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:03 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:

Nor do I.

But, you do understand that the people who want to give him a lot of money might give a shit. And whether or not they SHOULD give a shit is beside the point. And him knowing that those people give a shit and it could cost him a lot of money makes it an epically stupid thing to do?

I think a better way of saying this is as follows: Would you show up to your job interview at Goldman & Sachs in a tee shirt and jeans? Nope. You would wear your best suit, your best tie, your best shoes, your cleanest underwear, with a fresh shave, fresh haircut etc. Goldman & Sachs knows this and therefore they know that you will never dress better nor behave better than you will at your interview. In a sense, you are setting your ceiling. Once you are hired and under contract, you will revert to your sleezebag self. The interviewers job is to determine where that level is.

Mike Adams has just shown the NFL that his best suit is 19 reps at 225 after smoking a spliff in the parking lot. It is only going to get worse once he is under contract. I wouldn't draft him, which means the Browns are probably trying to package all their picks together to move up to #2 to make sure he is still available for them.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby StewieG » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:32 pm

furls wrote: I wouldn't draft him, which means the Browns are probably trying to package all their picks together to move up to #2 to make sure he is still available for them.

I'd laugh if this weren't dead-nuts true.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:12 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:19 reps? I mean holy fuck is that bad. I think as a freshman is was at 25 and that wasn't anything absurd at YSU....... good lord Mike.

I was 15 times at under 2hundy.

What a turd.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Return to College Sports Arena