Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Tribe signs Johnny Damon?!?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Tribe signs Johnny Damon?!?

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:57 pm

RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Favorite Player: Nick Swisher
Least Favorite Player: NYY

Re: Tribe signs Johnny Damon?!?

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:40 am

Christ. What a fucking mess.

Damon 2nd half last year: .238/.325/.401/.726

Guy's done. He's a shitty defender and a punch and judy hitter. There's a reason he's still available.

Hate this move with every fiber of my being. Duncan hasn't been a problem. Brantley has sucked, I won't deny that. But, since Damon can't handle CF, we'd just be taking away ABs from Duncan, which is a mistake.

In the back of my mind, I knew it was coming. I didn't want to believe it.

Can't wait to watch him uncork a throw from the outfield.

Fuck.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:51 am

Having to worry about taking ABs away from Duncan......... Yikes.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:58 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Having to worry about taking ABs away from Duncan......... Yikes.

Yeah, it's a sad state of affairs. Pathetic that we're even in this position.

But, again, Duncan hasn't been the issue. Dare I say it, Duncan's probably a better defender than Damon. 52 games in the OF for Damon in the last two seasons combined.

The issue has been Brantley (among other things). If Damon could play CF, I could deal. But you're not going to play Choo in CF, Damon in LF and Duncan in RF.

I'll be shocked if Damon contributes.

I get the feeling I'm going to be in the minority around here with my opinion.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:17 am

Was this a 'Our team BA minus Santana is .145 through 5 games, let's make a move' type move? Would this have happened if Brantley has 3 hits instead of 1 through 17 at-bats? I dont know what to think. Maybe this lights a fire under some asses; with Sizemore coming back in a month or two, this definitely makes a couple players disposable. But at the same time, I'm wondering if Damon can play any outfield. :gah:
"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it!" -Al Czervik
LakeErieWarriors

Favorite Player: Browns Draft
Least Favorite Player: Browns Training Camp

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:56 am

Damon is done. Offense on the downside, and practically a DH.

That being said, he's still a better hitter than several guys in this starting line-up. Some of them he's better by a longshot. As broken as he is.

This ain't good news for Damon as much as it is bad for the Tribe.

If Choo isn't a middle of the order producer, and Kipnis can't find his way to the top six of this line-up, they are going to really, really stink this year.

And Shelly Duncan....look, the at bat Sunday says it all. Nine pitches, first seven breaking balls. Eighth pitch fastball - which he still hooks foul. Now, if you are getting breaking balls your whole career, and you get them the first seven pitches of an at bat, and you're still sitting dead red - I can't stress enough how you just can't hit that way. You'll get your knocks off of Matt Thornton throwing nothing but fastballs up nine in the ninth. You'll get some off bad pitchers that have no command of secondary stuff, but the year is made up of more than middle relievers in blow-outs and September call-ups. Which is why, at the end of this season, like the end of every one of his seasons, he's going to prove to be a bad hitter, and utterly hopeless against good pitching. His role - pinch hitting, where he might catch some of these relievers that throw 95% gas, is where he needs to be.

Point being Johnny Damon, who is basically as close to Old Yeller as Travis Hafner, in all likelyhood helps this offense. Those who want to cheer for "great defense at the corner infield positions" - (you know, like all the great teams in the past with both corners unable to hit) you gotta try to find some offense somewhere.

Sure, I'd like to see a younger guy, but it ain't the organization's fault for bringing in Damon, it's the organizations fault they don't have an outfielder even close to the horzon that they could give a shot to.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:09 am

Anyone who celebrated the Bobby Abreu near trade should celebrate this.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby Bigfist » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:44 am

Who is the odd guy out, when Damon arrives? I can't imagine Cunningham, since he is the only one besides Brantley who can play CF. I guess it is Donald?
Bigfist

Favorite Player: AJ Griffin
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Juden

Unread postby Spin » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:49 am

Well this moves solves our need for a right handed powe hitter because... oh wait. Never mind.

On the other hand, we could have an Old Timers game without changing much of our lineup.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Spin » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:51 am

What's Charlie Spikes been up to lately?
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:01 am

Bigfist wrote:Who is the odd guy out, when Damon arrives? I can't imagine Cunningham, since he is the only one besides Brantley who can play CF. I guess it is Donald?

Asencio and Wheeler are redundant IMO. Wouldn't be shocked to see Wheeler go. Donald another candidate although he has more value IMO than Cunningham or Lopez.

My order? Wheeler, Lopez, Cunningham then Donald.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Bigfist » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:05 am

Yeah, I have no trouble having Wheeler go, but Manny has generally liked a seven man bullpen. I guess with a lot of off days at this point, a 6 man bullpen would work, but I would still expect them to go back to the 7 man bullpen at some point.
Bigfist

Unread postby Bigfist » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:35 am

I guess I should add that this signing (if in fact it happens) does border on some panicking by the front office. I didn't really think a lot of the team's chances this year, but I would have given it a bit more time before resorting to this step.

Duncan will always be Duncan...good in spurts, but not good as an every day player. But wow...Damon? I guess this is even more of an indictment of our drafting history, and not just that of Mirabelli.
Bigfist

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:57 am

I hate this move with every fiber of my being.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:53 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Having to worry about taking ABs away from Duncan......... Yikes.

:lmfao:
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:59 am

leadpipe wrote:Sure, I'd like to see a younger guy, but it ain't the organization's fault for bringing in Damon, it's the organizations fault they don't have an outfielder even close to the horzon that they could give a shot to.

Not that either one has done anything yet, but I also seem to remember that the Tribe decided against packages from the Phillies that could have contained Domonic Brown or Michela Taylor because they felt they had enough quality outfield prospects ::doh:: , which they did at the time, but obviously they were wrong.

So they possibly, I stress possibly because with trade rumors nobody ever knows for sure, could have tried to get a fix and thought they were fine with what they had.

Not bashing the trade for Lee, just questioning the line of thinking.
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:02 pm

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:
leadpipe wrote:Sure, I'd like to see a younger guy, but it ain't the organization's fault for bringing in Damon, it's the organizations fault they don't have an outfielder even close to the horzon that they could give a shot to.

Not that either one has done anything yet, but I also seem to remember that the Tribe decided against packages from the Phillies that could have contained Domonic Brown or Michela Taylor because they felt they had enough quality outfield prospects ::doh:: , which they did at the time, but obviously they were wrong.

So they possibly, I stress possibly because with trade rumors nobody ever knows for sure, could have tried to get a fix and thought they were fine with what they had.

We were also looking at Mat Gamel (.687 OPS over 91 ML games) and Jonathan Lucroy (.680 OPS over 215 ML games) in the CC deal.

Shit happens with prospects. You have to get lucky.

And as far as I remember, PHI wouldn't part with Brown or Taylor. Not that we felt our OF prospects were good enough.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:34 pm

Since we're going washed up players, can't we bring back KLofton again? Only been out since '08.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:53 pm

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:

EDIT: Looks like they could have gotten Brown or Taylor. Good memory...oops. Brown didn't become "untouchable" until the next season.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2009/07/cliff_lee_ben_francisco_headed.html
The Indians could have gotten outfielder Dominic Brown or Michael Taylor in the deal, but at the expense of Marson or Knapp. The Indians wanted Knapp and feel they have enough corner outfielders. That's why they agreed to trade Francisco.
Last edited by gotribe31 on Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:27 pm

OldDawg wrote:Since we're going washed up players, can't we bring back KLofton again? Only been out since '08.

And could still play center field better than Damon. Or even Brantley or Sizemore?
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:59 pm

OldDawg wrote:Since we're going washed up players, can't we bring back KLofton again? Only been out since '08.

Way he looked in ST pictures, he's still in outstanding shape.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:10 pm

gotribe31 wrote:
EDIT: Looks like they could have gotten Brown or Taylor. Good memory...oops. Brown didn't become "untouchable" until the next season.

I may not like to get into deep statistical debates ;-) ;) :wink: (mostly because I dont have the time, and am burnt out from doing that from years past) but I do have a memory like a steel trap when it comes to the tribe. :thumb up:
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:08 am

skatingtripods wrote:
We were also looking at Mat Gamel (.687 OPS over 91 ML games) and Jonathan Lucroy (.680 OPS over 215 ML games) in the CC deal.

Shit happens with prospects. You have to get lucky.

And as far as I remember, PHI wouldn't part with Brown or Taylor. Not that we felt our OF prospects were good enough.

My point/issue isnt the prospects, its the line of thinking behind the choices they made.

Im just saying/pointing out that they had a chance to get a blue chipper at a position of need and overvalued what they had at the time and with the glaring black hole situation that is our outfield now, that little instance just stuck out to me.

All 30 teams have instances like this, its just magnified on our team right now.
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby gotribe31 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:27 am

Wish we had him two years ago.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:39 pm

I guess he can't hurt. Not sure how much better this is than had they just re-signed Fukudome in the off-season. Damon has more power, but I think we need baserunners more than the occasional solo shot.

Us not signing Pena is looking really bad right now too. I know he turned us down, but the dude is raking right now.
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Unread postby jb » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:28 pm

"Best run ownership / FO of any Cleveland sports' franchise."

Or so I've heard tale tell.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby pup » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:21 pm

jb wrote:"Best run ownership / FO of any Cleveland sports' franchise."

Or so I've heard tale tell.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby swerb » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:18 pm

I say "why not" with this move. I don't blame the Indians for making it. I do blame them for not doing it in March. Damon's gonna be useless till May 1. They put way too much hope in that pile of shit in LF and CF and should have made a move on a guy when Grady got hurt. Cause it ain't gonna matter if Damon's an upgrade if they start out 9-20. Detroit is a lock to win 90 games, and it would take at least high 80s in wins to get one of the wild card spots.

I am not a Michael Brantley fan. And he is KILLING us right now. I've heard some "little birdie" stuff that says he has a shit attitude as a player too.

Even in his decrepite state, Johnny Five Tool (1984 nickname) is still an offensive upgrade to Brantley IMO. And he'll cover more ground in center. Another guy to throw in the mix at least. And it means the end of The Aaron Cunningham Era, which is also excellent. If Damon can hit like he hit in the 1st half last year, Grady actually comes back, you got a better chance of playing 3 outfielders that can actually hit the ball.

Forget Damon for now though, we need the guys in CF and LF to start hitting the ball right now. Before we're 2-12. Choo too. He whiffed in 3 HUGE spots at the day game I was at Wedns. Dude doesn't have an RBI yet. Hitting in the effing three hole for us.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:18 pm

Damon, 38, is expected to need at least 10 days to three weeks to get game ready.

From Paul Hoynes.

::doh::
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby jb » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:26 pm

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:
Damon, 38, is expected to need at least 10 days to three weeks to get game ready.

From Paul Hoynes.

::doh::

DiamondView (TM) confirmed this. Places his date of readiness to suck at 27 days 9 hours and 50 minutes. That was programmed by a Harvard trained statistician, so you know it's right.
jb

Unread postby pup » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:40 pm

JB - Killing me today!
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby jb » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:14 pm

swerb wrote:I say "why not" with this move. I don't blame the Indians for making it. I do blame them for inexplicably being unable to develop a decent corner outfielder since Brian Giles.

^^^

Fixed
jb

Unread postby swerb » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:24 pm

Yeah, when is the last time the Indians had a good left fielder? Clinton Administration?
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby jb » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:43 pm

swerb wrote:Yeah, when is the last time the Indians had a good left fielder? Clinton Administration?

LF or RF?

Seriously, i GET the low payroll. I GET losing FA's. I GET that not every prospect pans out and trades can be duds. But how GD hard is it to develop ONE legit MLB corner outfielder in a decade?

After the CC trade and the drafts, I don't see how the Dolans can stick with these clowns.

2007 seems like a lifetime ago.
jb

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:09 pm

Absolute F#$%%%cking JOKE!!!!!!!!!!
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:44 am

In JB's world the Indians didn't develop Choo.

Instead they just gave the fans a blow job and started playing in CBS.

Dumbest. Baseball. Fan. Ever.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:34 am

I really should start a thread every time the Browns have a UFA in the two deep or the Cavs are living off of ten day contracts.....

I mean, JOHNNY DAMON!!!! WTF!!!
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:15 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:

Wait!!!!!! When was that give away :gah:
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby jb » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:55 am

e0y2e3 wrote:In JB's world the Indians didn't develop Choo.

You mean the guy with the .281 SLG % in 2011 ? That stellar corner outfielder?
jb

Unread postby scrambler » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Spin wrote:What's Charlie Spikes been up to lately?

That's what I'm talking about!! Shelley Duncan is a poor man's Charlie Spikes. This Damon signing will help the team as much as the Ubaldo Jimenez trade most likely.
scrambler

Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:41 pm

I'm angry about something! ARGHHHHHHHH!
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:51 pm

jb wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:In JB's world the Indians didn't develop Choo.

You mean the guy with the .281 SLG % in 2011 ? That stellar corner outfielder?

You're looking at 2012 which is for 32 AB's.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby T_N_T » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:02 pm

T_N_T

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Lebron James

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:17 pm

The wedding is planned but the engagement is going on now. Johnny has to get back into MLB shape (talking eye/hand co-ordination, etc here) before the Tribe wants to throw him into games that count. Since he is a fine specimen of the male species ;-) ;) :wink: I would think he'll be up here soon.
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:01 pm

It's a minor league contract so he doesn't take up a 40-man roster spot until he's ready to join the Indians.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:43 pm

skatingtripods wrote:

It's a minor league contract so he doesn't take up a 40-man roster spot until he's ready to join the Indians.

I hope your avatar dies in a fire.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:23 pm

peeker643 wrote: I hope your avatar dies in a fire.

I hope it keeps you up at night.

And if you do fall asleep, I hope it haunts your dreams.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:29 pm

Raise your hand if you now think that the Indians panicked and wished they hadn't signed Damon.
:TCF:
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:30 pm

OldDawg wrote:Raise your hand if you now think that the Indians panicked and wished they hadn't signed Damon.
:TCF:

:itcf:

If he was "game" ready for baseball instead of soccer than I be excited
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Favorite Player: Nick Swisher
Least Favorite Player: NYY

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB