Text Size

The Neutral Zone

2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs

The place to talk hockey. NHL banter, discussions on the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Lake Erie Monsters, and college hockey.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, skatingtripods

2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Unread postby idoctribefan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:27 pm

I watched the entire Pens/Flyers Game 1 last night. Pittsburgh dominated the first period (3-0) and it looked as if the Flyers didn't belong on the ice with the Pens. 43 minutes of hockey later somehow the Flyers get the W.

Predators beat the RedWings in a good game also. That cheap shot by Shea Weber at the end of the game was so bush league. Looked like a WWE villain smashing his opponent's head into the steel ring post. Hopefully Brendan Shanahan suspends him multiple games because that was beyond dirty.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Re: 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Unread postby idoctribefan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:39 pm

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=627504

Looks like Weber avoided a suspension and has just been fined a paltry $2500.

I'm no Wing fan, but hopefully somebody pounds on Weber in Game 2. I don't know if Weber has a history of this kind of thing or not, and I know he's a big guy. But no fighting majors this year...is he willing to go toe-to-toe with somebody or is he only going to deliver multiple headshots from behind when you're not looking?
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:12 pm

Weber is cheap thug. And way to go, NHL, you gutless fucking hypocrites. You claim to be against shots to the head, but you only fine this creep. He should be gone the rest of this postseason and a MINIMUM of 20 games next year.

You gotta get this type of thuggery out of the game. People talk about thugs in the NBA..... shit, in the NBA, a dude would be gone for multiple games if he grabbed a guys head and slammed him into the base of the hoop.

Get rid of this kind of shit or become a freak show.

Pathetic.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby swerb » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:01 pm

Finally.

Predictions:

East

Rangers over Senators
Panthers over Devils
Flyers over Penguins
Capitals over Bruins

Rangers over Capitals
Flyers over Panthers

Rangers over Flyers

West

Canucks over Kings
Predators over Red Wings
Blackhawks over Coyotes
Sharks over Blues

Canucks over Sharks
Predators over Blackhawks

Predators over Canucks

Stanley Cup Finals

Rangers over Predators
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Show Me The Money

Unread postby swerb » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:04 pm

Tonight ...

2 units Rangers (-170)
2 units Blackhawks (even)
1 unit Capitals (+170)
1 unit Sharks (+145)
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:20 pm

Caught the last halves of the Pens/Flyers and Wings/Preds games last night. Jesus Christ are those going to be great series. All four of those teams could win it all.

I see it as WIDE open this year. Going into last years playoffs the East was really a three team race between the Caps, Flyers, Bruins ... and the Bruins and Thomas gelled and got hot. The Canucks were prohibitive favorites in the West. This year you have the same group in the East plus a Pens team that has Crosby ... and the West to me is more wide open. With the exception of Phoenix, I could see any of the other teams out West going to the Cup Finals.

I like the Rangers this year, a lot. They have the coach, they have the netminder, they're tough, they're smart, they added Richards and some of their young players evolved this year. I think they'll end up playing the winner of the Flyers/Pens series in the East Finals.

Out west I am going with Nashville. This team has continued to make steps forward the last few years, are well coached, don't beat themselves, have the best power play in the league, and they've got Rinne. I see them winning three hard fought six/seven game series against a West field without any elite teams and getting to their first West Finals and beating Luongo and the Canucks.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:29 pm

Some bold predictions there, Rich.

Finals

Flyers beat the Blues in 7.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:32 pm

I think the Wings rebound and take out Nashville. They're the Wings after all.

Just cannot see the Sharks taking out the Blues, they're too good on defense and in the net.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:27 am

My bets so far are Bruins -1.5 games, WSH/BOS u5.5 games, and under 2.5 series that go seven games first round.

As for the games themselves, pretty interesting so far. Two egregious blown calls in the PIT/PHI game by the linesmen. Too many penalties in NSH/DET and VAN/LA, while very few were called in PIT/PHI. Was out last night so I didn't see any of those four games.

Team in the biggest trouble after losing Game 1: St. Louis. Home ice (30-11) was their strong suit and they just temporarily pissed it away. They're a sub-.500 team on the road where they now to have win at least one game, maybe two, and San Jose definitely has a top line capable of creating mismatches.

Statement game from the Rangers last night. All the talk leading up to the series was how Ottawa's speed didn't match up well with NYR's style of play. I still say Anderson has to be great for the Sens to win the series. He wasn't in Game 1 from everything I've read.

The lack of a suspension for Weber is indefensible. I don't know what the league sees there. The Bitz two game suspension for Vancouver was the right call. The paltry fine to Weber is a joke. Zetterberg said his helmet cracked on the play. Weber's got a giant target on his back now. The problem is, with Helm out due to that skate blade that cut his arm, the Wings can't afford to lose another forward to a possible suspension.

Got to catch OT in PHX/CHI. Mike Smith has to continue to play out of his mind. The talent gap between those two teams is staggering. If Smith has any kind of letup, Chicago's taking that series out from under Phoenix.

Interested to see how Vancouver bounces back tonight. They'll make adjustments. Their forwards overhandled the puck in Game 1 and the Kings only had to go 140 ft instead of 200 ft to create scoring chances. Too many neutral zone turnovers for the Canucks. I think they'll make adjustments and punish LA's D, specifically Voynov and Doughty. Voynov might get exposed tonight. The Kings had to go max effort to pull off a late 4-2 win. Half of the Canucks sleepwalked through the game and it was still close. Luongo answered some questions in G1, he was terrific.

Love playoff hockey.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby swerb » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:04 pm

My futures $ is on the Rangers. Been betting em all year, starting out at 16-1. Have $260 on them at a blended 12-1.

Also have $ on the Kings and Caps to win it all, most from early in the season at around 20-1. Laid some $ on the Preds this last month at 12-1, 15-1.

With all but one series with one game in the books ...

Agree on the Rangers performance last night. I see them as the favorites.

Both the 4/5 matchups (Philly/Pens and Wings/Preds) should be epic series.

I rode the Bruins last year, discounted them for some reason this year. If not for an amazing performance by the kid goalie last night, they shoulda won that game 4-0 in a complete domination. Caps are just not good enough to beat them 4/7. They may not win a game in the series. Seidenbergs hit on Ovechkin was outstanding. They knocked him off his feet 3-4 times last night.

Blues are going down. Sharks to me are the most live sleeper in the field. Playoff tested and experienced, deep, addition and health of Havlat = a huge addition.

Kings can beat the Canucks. Their record when they score 3 goals is ridiculous. Quick can lead them to an upset of anyone out west if they can get any scoring.

Didn't see any of the PHO/CHI game last night. I continue to underestimate Mike Smith for some reason. Both these 3/6 series .. be shocked if any of those 4 teams make it to their Conference Finals.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:50 pm

swerb wrote:Both the 4/5 matchups (Philly/Pens and Wings/Preds) should be epic series.

I know a lot of cappers who are real low on the Wings. I think they're discrediting them a little too early. That said, I'm waiting for the Preds line tonight to drop to jump on them. I really like everything about their team. I hate how they don't have an offensive go-to guy, but they did have the league's best PP. It went 0/6 in Game 1 and they still won, granted, Gaustad's goal went off Stuart and in.

PHI/PIT total at 6 tonight. There were two goals that shouldn't have counted in Game 1 and it was a hectic pace. I think it'll be more reserved tonight. Money was shaded toward the over. But, as for the series itself, I like the Flyers more and more if Bryzgalov plays well.

Pains me that Sean Couturier, the guy PHI drafted with the Jackets 1st round pick, is already such a strong two-way player that he drew the assignment of the Kunitz-Malkin-Neal line in Game 1.

Blues are going down. Sharks to me are the most live sleeper in the field. Playoff tested and experienced, deep, addition and health of Havlat = a huge addition.

My problem with the Sharks is their depth as the series goes later and later. If they win Game 2, they win the series. If not, it's a big toss up. It's really difficult to put their 3rd and 4th line guys on the ice in close games late.

My Mike Smith is Antti Niemi. Every time I count that guy out, he does something special. Last night was another example.

Didn't see any of the PHO/CHI game last night. I continue to underestimate Mike Smith for some reason. Both these 3/6 series .. be shocked if any of those 4 teams make it to their Conference Finals.

NJ probably has the best chance, but, I agree with you. With Toews healthy, Chicago's a darkhorse, especially if VAN and STL lose.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby swerb » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:58 pm

To me with the Hawks, its all on Corey Crawford. They go as he goes.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:09 pm

Jesus, brutal read by me on the PIT/PHI under. Defense optional again tonight.

Wings up 2-0 in what is probably a must win. I was certain Nashville would be ready to play.

Ah well.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:17 pm

Jimmy Howard has been insane.

I wish both teams could lose...
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:48 pm

Nashville now 0/10 on the PP in a period and a half. They're not going to win the series that way.

Flyers not going away again tonight.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:43 pm

The only thing that sucks about this PIT/PHI series is that it won't have any multiple OT games. Nobody can play defense that long. Other than that, great TV.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby swerb » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:45 pm

You can't possibly have a better first two games of a series. Between two in state rivals that both are capable of winning the Cup.

Great stuff.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:57 pm

swerb wrote:Between two in state rivals that both are capable of winning the Cup.

With defense like this, neither team can beat NYR or BOS.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:56 pm

This PHI/PIT series sucks. A lot.

There's less scoring when I play open hockey.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:01 pm

Pens vs. Predators in the Finals.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:25 pm

One of the best things about hockey, Bruins/Caps go at it on Saturday, then they change cities and drop it on Sunday.

No whining about being tired.

Excellent playoffs thus far.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Return to The Neutral Zone