Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Game of Thrones

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Re: Game of Thrones

Unread postby hiko » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:28 pm

Did Arya kill anyone yet? (thus starting her career in the murder biz)
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:01 pm

hiko wrote:Did Arya kill anyone yet? (thus starting her career in the murder biz)

Yup. Kind of accidentally, but she did. Kid kind of deserved it too. He was up to no good.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby hiko » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:43 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
hiko wrote:Did Arya kill anyone yet? (thus starting her career in the murder biz)

Yup. Kind of accidentally, but she did. Kid kind of deserved it too. He was up to no good.

Good for her. The first of many.
hiko

Unread postby comish » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:44 am

Still must see TV for me...provides a great close to the weekend.

Bought the books for the series because I couldn't help myself, and am slightly regretting it because now I know what will happen in each episode. HOWEVER, despite knowing, I still can't wait to watch. HBO has clung to the script in the books almost line for line)

Here's hoping the HBO execs stick with it and film the whole series :thumb up:

(Tyrion is BY FAR the best character in this series IMO, Arya and Robb Stark aren't that bad either)
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
comish
Champion of Mediocrity

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:33 am

Absolutely awesome, especially the timing http://mobile.avclub.com/articles/game- ... ing,57548/
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:35 am

HBO has clung to the script in the books almost line for line

Game of Thrones should be required watching/reading for how to adapt a book into a television series. Having HBO's budget helps but everything from the actors, dialogue, settings, and costumes has come together perfectly.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby comish » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:46 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Absolutely awesome, especially the timing http://mobile.avclub.com/articles/game- ... ing,57548/

Bah! Considering what happened to his character in GOT, a punch to the beezer and a slash on the arm is just foreplay.
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
comish
Champion of Mediocrity

Unread postby gotribe31 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:29 am

Well, the season finale did a great job of keeping every storyline interesting without tying up anything. Guess we'll have to wait till spring of next year to find out what happens across the board.

Or I could buy and read the books I suppose. Anyone read them? I'm not usually into the whole Lord of the Rings type stuff, but have really enjoyed this season of the show. Are the books good as well?
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:05 am

gotribe31 wrote:Well, the season finale did a great job of keeping every storyline interesting without tying up anything. Guess we'll have to wait till spring of next year to find out what happens across the board.

Or I could buy and read the books I suppose. Anyone read them? I'm not usually into the whole Lord of the Rings type stuff, but have really enjoyed this season of the show. Are the books good as well?

I picked up the books about halfway through the season and am almost halfway through the first book. At least for the first book, they read more like historical fiction than fantasy, focusing mostly on the politics of the families and Seven Kingdoms. Can't speak beyond the ending (I'm guessing from the TV series finale) of the first book as dragons and it looks like magic will be a major part of the story going forward, shifting more towards the straight fantasy genre.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby hiko » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:40 am

gotribe31 wrote:Well, the season finale did a great job of keeping every storyline interesting without tying up anything. Guess we'll have to wait till spring of next year to find out what happens across the board.

Martin is much more Steven King than JRR Tolkien. Reading him is like Michael Crichton - it was written with the expectation of being on-screen.
hiko

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:47 pm

The blonde dragon-broad has decent boobs. And dragons. So she's got that going for her.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:20 pm

hiko wrote:

Martin is much more Steven King than JRR Tolkien. Reading him is like Michael Crichton - it was written with the expectation of being on-screen.

Yeah, I picked them up off Amazon, all 4 sold in a set for like $15. Started the 1st one today...they really did stay true to the books for the series. So far, so good. Like you guys said, reads more like historical fiction than Tolkien.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:37 pm

In case anyone cares, the books are outstanding. I'm already on the 3rd one (helps being laid up with a bad back). I don't like dragons and fantasy type stuff either, I usually read military non-ficition or Tom Clancy/Vince Flynn type stuff. But these books have been outstanding. If you liked the series at all, I highly reccomend giving them a read.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:48 pm

gotribe31 wrote:In case anyone cares, the books are outstanding. I'm already on the 3rd one (helps being laid up with a bad back). I don't like dragons and fantasy type stuff either, I usually read military non-ficition or Tom Clancy/Vince Flynn type stuff. But these books have been outstanding. If you liked the series at all, I highly reccomend giving them a read.

See, I like this kind of stuff. Always have. I read all of the Dragonlance stuff when I was a kid.

But with all of the dragons and swords, and "who's the king", and the "hand of the king" and nights watch, and winter's coming, and all that...well, I can't help but feel like Mitch Rapp would have all of this shit cleared up inside a week.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:20 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:In case anyone cares, the books are outstanding. I'm already on the 3rd one (helps being laid up with a bad back). I don't like dragons and fantasy type stuff either, I usually read military non-ficition or Tom Clancy/Vince Flynn type stuff. But these books have been outstanding. If you liked the series at all, I highly reccomend giving them a read.

See, I like this kind of stuff. Always have. I read all of the Dragonlance stuff when I was a kid.

But with all of the dragons and swords, and "who's the king", and the "hand of the king" and nights watch, and winter's coming, and all that...well, I can't help but feel like Mitch Rapp would have all of this shit cleared up inside a week.

You played with weird shaped dice, didn't you?

DIDN'T YOU?!?!?

;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:56 pm

Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:19 pm

peeker643 wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:

You played with weird shaped dice, didn't you?

DIDN'T YOU?!?!?

;-) ;) :wink:

Only played once and thought it sucked. Didn't get it at all. Liked the books, though. I wanted to grow up to be a wizard.

Of course, we didn't have the dick dice. No telling what would have transpired if those had been around.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:25 pm

motherscratcher wrote:

Mitch Rapp has guns. And a private jet. And a cell phone. Not to slight Mitch Rapp who is Jack Bauer on steroids, but poor Ned Stark and company have a sword, horse and ravens. It takes a little more time to get shit done.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:44 pm

All of a sudden we're about 6-7 weeks away.

I'm thinking of starting the books. Worth it now? Or should I wait.

How far into the books did they get in the first season? Was the first season the first book and the second season the second book etc.?

Usually I like to read things before I see them if they are made into a movie. That's why I'm considering trying to get out ahead of this thing.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby gotribe31 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:22 pm

motherscratcher wrote:All of a sudden we're about 6-7 weeks away.

I'm thinking of starting the books. Worth it now? Or should I wait.

How far into the books did they get in the first season? Was the first season the first book and the second season the second book etc.?

Usually I like to read things before I see them if they are made into a movie. That's why I'm considering trying to get out ahead of this thing.

I know e0 was going to read them and act them out as a 1-man play Off Broadway. Not sure if he'd like to give you his take or not.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:17 am

motherscratcher wrote:How far into the books did they get in the first season? Was the first season the first book and the second season the second book etc.?

This is my understanding. Although I'd imagine they'd have to combine Book 4 & 5 into one season.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:59 am

I can admit that I expected to end up quitting on this show after realizing it was yet another Lord of The Rings pile of "watch it once because it is pretty and interesting but never watch it again."

The show is pretty entertaining. Far better than Zombien Sleep Pills on AMC in the guilty pleasure department. I was won over when the guy's tongue was ripped out of his skull.

That said...........

The day I read all of the books and watch them on TV is the day I meet Al and Dentist for their weekly D & D tourney.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:02 am

BTW: good on this show for being the first of like four Showtime/HBO shows to do the incest thing this year.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:36 pm

e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:29 pm

The premier was pretty good, kinda slow (for GoT and not in a bad way). I like the dude who plays Stannis, I don't remember what i've seen him in. The baby scenes were harsh.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:31 pm

Having read the books, I was impressed at how much they got through in the 1st episode. The story really expands with a lot more characters and a lot more focus on people who seemed like minor characters in the 1st season/book, so I think it's going to be a challenge for them to keep things moving as much as they did in the 1st season. Thought episode 1 did a nice job setting up what is to come and advancing the story.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:54 pm

I can barely remember the names of the characters they have now.

Like the bodyguard guy with Daenarey's (sp?). I don't know his name, I know he was banished for selling slaves.

I'm just starting to get the bastard name system.

Love the show though, absolutely love it.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:48 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I can barely remember the names of the characters they have now.

Like the bodyguard guy with Daenarey's (sp?). I don't know his name, I know he was banished for selling slaves.

I'm just starting to get the bastard name system.

Love the show though, absolutely love it.

Jorah Mormont. His old man is the commander of the Night's Watch. Ned Stark kicked him out of Westeros for selling slaves, as you said, so he has no love for the Starks.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby jb » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:32 am

Does vegas have an over-under on the number of doggie style scenes this season?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:57 am

jb wrote:Does vegas have an over-under on the number of doggie style scenes this season?

If they did, they'd take it off the board. 1st book was tame compared to the sex/violence that goes down in the rest of the series. The author has an affinity for chicks with big cans too, so I'd be interested to be in on the casting calls that they are putting out. What a job.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby cozmeesah » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:50 pm

jb wrote:Does vegas have an over-under on the number of doggie style scenes this season?

Well there might be markedly less of those specific kind this season as there aren't as many Dothraki people (that's their usual position.) But, as Al said there will be plenty of boobs, etc.

Being a female, I don't mind them in the slightest if they are in the book or (if added) useful to the plot somehow. But that one out of the blue in the brothel with Ros playing queen whore teacher wasn't necessary or useful. Though I'm sure you guys loved it nonetheless. :lmfao: On the flip side, without it it wouldn't have felt like an episode of GoT without at least one set of tits.

I hear that they aren't going to have Robb's host go to Riverrun this season as a means of saving $$$. They're saving that place & the Tully's until Seas. 3 because they're more useful/central in the 3rd book.
cozmeesah

Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: AJ Pierzynski

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:14 pm

cozmeesah wrote:

Well there might be markedly less of those specific kind this season as there aren't as many Dothraki people (that's their usual position.) But, as Al said there will be plenty of boobs, etc.

Being a female, I don't mind them in the slightest if they are in the book or (if added) useful to the plot somehow. But that one out of the blue in the brothel with Ros playing queen whore teacher wasn't necessary or useful. Though I'm sure you guys loved it nonetheless. :lmfao: On the flip side, without it it wouldn't have felt like an episode of GoT without at least one set of tits.

I hear that they aren't going to have Robb's host go to Riverrun this season as a means of saving $$$. They're saving that place & the Tully's until Seas. 3 because they're more useful/central in the 3rd book.

I haven't seen the new episode yet, but I did see Season 1, and Ros' (not a character in the books) entire role seemed to be Woman That Is Naked. She served no other purpose really. I've seen Playmate Videos where the stars spent less time naked than Ros.

My wife walked in the room when I was watching the episode from Season 1 where Ros and the other prostitute were "practicing" for Littlefinger, and she asked me what the hell I was watching. "I don't know," I told her.

I'd say 90% of the nudity/sex was in the books, but Ros gets the "gratuitous" label.

Which, as you point out, is not a complaint.
Hikohadon

Unread postby cozmeesah » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:13 pm

I could swear that I remember reading Theon mentioning the name Ros one time in the book GoT, in suggesting to someone which whore they should ask for. But, I could be totally imagining that.
cozmeesah

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:18 pm

Episode 2 has a pair of the worst tits i've seen on TV/movies and the first black guy so far in the show.

And the guy who plays Grejoy's father looks like the Viggo the Carpathian in Ghostbusters 2.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:45 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote: looks like the Viggo the Carpathian in Ghostbusters 2.

Wasn't he also Vigo the Butch?
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:44 pm

Black pirate, dude.

And what kind of crazy religion is that red haired chick getting Stannis into? Fire swords and shit.

King Joffrey..... I HATE THAT KID.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby gotribe31 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:21 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Black pirate, dude.

And what kind of crazy religion is that red haired chick getting Stannis into? Fire swords and shit.

She's nuts. But a really interesting character.

Joffrey is being played so well by that kid...exactly how he is in the book. Sniveling little shit, and he gets much worse.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:17 pm

gotribe31 wrote:

Joffrey is being played so well by that kid...exactly how he is in the book. Sniveling little shit, and he gets much worse.

During the last episode I remarked to my wife how well cast this is. And they absolutely nailed it with Joffrey. I absolutely HATE that kid as much as I've ever hated any character in anything. He's perfect.

BTW - the little tomboy girl...are we assuming her teacher is dead? I can't remember if that was for sure last season, or if the door is open. Because I really dug that dude.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:30 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:

During the last episode I remarked to my wife how well cast this is. And they absolutely nailed it with Joffrey. I absolutely HATE that kid as much as I've ever hated any character in anything. He's perfect.

BTW - the little tomboy girl...are we assuming her teacher is dead? I can't remember if that was for sure last season, or if the door is open. Because I really dug that dude.

The second episode has some great Tyrion scenes. Dinklage is fantastic.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:29 pm

LARP 4 LIFE
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:32 pm

CARDBOARD ACTORS SMOKING 4 LYFE
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:35 pm

Meh, this show is pretty good and much better than Boardom Empire. I just can't obsess over it like many. The obsesso-fans feel much like LoR fans.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:40 pm

THIS SHOW HAS SWEET BEWBS. LOTR HAS NONE.

EPIC WIN GAME OF THRONES.

I ALREADY PAINTED SWEET DRAGON GRAPHICS ON MY TRUCK. THE HOOD LOOKS LIKE ITS ON FIRE!!!!!!!!!
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:45 pm

I'm halfway through Book 4 and still don't know the answer to that question. It would be nice to see Syrio Forel, first sword of Braavos again. The internet rumor dujour is that he is actually one of the Faceless Men of Braavos.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:05 am

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:

I'm halfway through Book 4 and still don't know the answer to that question. It would be nice to see Syrio Forel, first sword of Braavos again. The internet rumor dujour is that he is actually one of the Faceless Men of Braavos.

I'm pretty sure he's dead. They sliced through his wooden sword, so he was outnumbered and unarmed. I doubt they have him come back.

Of course, a couple people have come back that shouldn't have been able to.
Hikohadon

Unread postby cozmeesah » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:18 pm

motherscratcher wrote:During the last episode I remarked to my wife how well cast this is. And they absolutely nailed it with Joffrey. I absolutely HATE that kid as much as I've ever hated any character in anything. He's perfect.

Shows you how good of an actor that kid is (and how awesome is it that his name is Jack(ie) Gleeson?) because all of the other actors say how in real life the kid is one of the nicest, sweetest people you'd ever meet.

I wasn't entirely thrilled with last night's episode. Was a bit boring and the end deviated wayyy from the book. Not sure where they're going to go with that. But shit should start getting fierce from here on.

Dinklage as Tyrion is so amazingly awesome, Lannister or not. They really did nail this cast. Bean was perfect as Ned, the Stark kids are great, especially Arya. Jon Snow is excellent (Kit Harington is going to end up a big star, I'm calling it now.) Daenerys ... perfect, Momoa as Drogo was perfect.

I like that they aged up all the younger characters instead of keeping them as young as they are in the books. It works better and makes more sense for them to be a bit older doing what they do. And much less creepy than seeing a 13-year-old Dany having sex with Drogo. :lmfao:

Theon... that little pervy betraying bastard. Just thinking about what comes makes me want to scream at my TV. Too bad his sister didn't push him off that damned horse or off a cliff. I notice how they changed Asha's name in the show. Probably a bit too close to Osha (the wildling captive/Bran's friend at Winterfell) that they didn't want to confuse people.
cozmeesah

Unread postby gotribe31 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:40 pm

Yeah, seems like they're speeding everything up from the book timeline. The whole Arya identifing herself as a Stark thing didn't happen until much later, and the end of the episode makes me think they're going to speed up some other plotlines as well.

Loved the Tyrion/Janos scene. Theon is an appropriate level of shithead. Love the J'aquen carachter, think he's gonna be good.

Some of the things that are hinted at in the books are declared much more openly in the series. I can't recall an actual sex scene between Melisandre and Stannis; Craster giving the baby boys to the Others wasn't spelled out; even the Renley/Loras gay thing isn't spelled out in the books, while the show had them very much in love. It's just a different medium, and the show is just going to be different than the books.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby cozmeesah » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:59 pm

Most definitely. I'm used to book adaptations being changed necessarily because of a different medium. I didn't mind the book deviations, it just seemed a tad boring is why I wasn't too fond of it. But then again I pretty much knew it wasn't going to be full of thrills yet.
http://www.sizemorefan.com ~ Your Online Source For Grady Sizemore
cozmeesah

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:36 pm

I don't even remember Renly being gay in the books, but he sure is in the show.
Hikohadon

Unread postby gotribe31 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:41 pm

Hikohadon wrote:I don't even remember Renly being gay in the books, but he sure is in the show.

It was hinted at, definitely not spelled out like in the show. He of course marries a woman, but is at least gay for Loras Tyrell if not totally ghaye.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

PreviousNext

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture