Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

This better be a bluff

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

This better be a bluff

Unread postby CleSportsTruth » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:34 pm

Or else, I might have to burn the entire facility down in the middle of the night.

I mean, fuck, really? A guy who's a project and not good in close games? At 4? :hic:
CleSportsTruth

Re: This better be a bluff

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:42 pm

Smokescreen. They can't be serious. Can they? Puke.
"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it!" -Al Czervik
LakeErieWarriors

Favorite Player: Browns Draft
Least Favorite Player: Browns Training Camp

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:02 pm

Tannehill won't last past the Dolphins at #8, so if H&H want him they might as well take him at #4.

Me? I'll pass and see what happens this season and with the 2013 draft. No need to panic just quite yet.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:03 pm

He ran a 4.58. This is happening. I don't support it, but it is happening and it is the exact kind of over-reactionary error HooDoo warned against.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Cease » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:11 pm

Last year's early round one run on QB's leads me to believe it's a "smoke em if you got em" mentality. Unfortunately, we're talking about a #4 pick here. Agreed he won't be there at 22.

I'd rather take that old guy at #37.

Cam Newton Auburn 1 1(1) Carolina
Jake Locker Washington 8(8) Tennessee
Blaine Gabbert Missouri 10(10) Jacksonville
Christian PonderFlorida State 12(12) Minnesota
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:17 pm

mattvan1 wrote:Tannehill won't last past the Dolphins at #8, so if H&H want him they might as well take him at #4.

Me? I'll pass and see what happens this season and with the 2013 draft. No need to panic just quite yet.

Yeah I agree. Going into this draft, the mission statement needed to be RGIII or bust. We aren't going to get him, there isn't enough talent to drop a #4 on, which leaves one thing left to do; trade down. Secure an extra first rounder for next year, then fill in the most important blanks. If all goes well, the Browns improve from last year and have ammo for next years draft if someone sticks out to trade UP for.

But God, taking Tannehill at 4; what a gamble. And don't get me wrong, I really think he could be something in this league but this is not the time, place, nor franchise to be gambling on shit.
"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it!" -Al Czervik
LakeErieWarriors

Favorite Player: Browns Draft
Least Favorite Player: Browns Training Camp

Unread postby LarsHancock » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:44 pm

I don't know why that would upset you. The team needs a QB and WRs badly. Tannehill is better than anyone we have at either position. Two birds with one stone! Genius!
LarsHancock

Favorite Player: Armagnac
Least Favorite Player: Rumple Minze

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:52 pm

Lol. How is it a smokescreen when there is no one even saying anything here? There is literally no meat here.

He did absolutely nothing unexpected today, he's not closer to being an NFL starter than he was because he ran well. He was an effing Big 12 starting WR, what did anyone think he was going to run? You think he impressed with that?

Hilarious. No fucking way he's a Brown at #4.

I literally have no fears about that. Aint happening.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:08 pm

JCoz wrote:Lol. How is it a smokescreen when there is no one even saying anything here? There is literally no meat here.

He did absolutely nothing unexpected today, he's not closer to being an NFL starter than he was because he ran well. He was an effing Big 12 starting WR, what did anyone think he was going to run? You think he impressed with that?

SD:

Tannehill will be the third pick in the draft , either by Miami or the Cleveland Browns

hear me now believe me later.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:37 pm

I don't know if the Browns love Tannehill, hate Tannehill, want to trade, want to stay put, or don't even know themselves yet.

But I can't think of a single reason for them to NOT act like they like Tannehill.
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:31 am

SoulDawg74 wrote:
JCoz wrote:Lol. How is it a smokescreen when there is no one even saying anything here? There is literally no meat here.

SD:

Tannehill will be the third pick in the draft , either by Miami or the Cleveland Browns

hear me now believe me later.

SoulDawg

Thats hilarious if the phins do that, but he won't be a brown, and certainly not at three.

You are out of you mind if you actually believe that.

I'll be laughing later.
JCoz

Unread postby jb » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:05 am

JCoz wrote:Hilarious. No fucking way he's a Brown at #4.

Um, you should probably reconsider. Not saying it will happen, but it damn sure could per credible sources now.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:24 am

motherscratcher wrote:I don't know if the Browns love Tannehill, hate Tannehill, want to trade, want to stay put, or don't even know themselves yet.

But I can't think of a single reason for them to NOT act like they like Tannehill.

Completely agree.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby jb » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:27 am

motherscratcher wrote:I don't know if the Browns love Tannehill, hate Tannehill, want to trade, want to stay put, or don't even know themselves yet.

"Word, Cotton."
jb

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:55 am

jb wrote:
JCoz wrote:Hilarious. No fucking way he's a Brown at #4.

Um, you should probably reconsider. Not saying it will happen, but it damn sure could per credible sources now.

Nope, not buying.

Credible sources are for the smokescreen IMO.
JCoz

Unread postby jb » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:04 am

Upside is recycling the old Edwards' jerseys.

No one gave enough of a shit about Quitter Jake to do that.
jb

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:23 am

Are you sure people will give enough of a shit about Tannehill?

Frankly I have no freaking clue what to think of this mess right now. There isnt a logical pick at this point. I dont know nearly enough or am not nearly adept enough in scouting to give a real opinion on Tannehill, I will leave that up to the rest of you Kiper Juniors.

What I dont like that it appears we are stuck with a QB that seems like a reach (btw getting Miami to trade with us is hilarious, we are the only threat to take him), Drafting a RT at 4 blows my mind, drafting a RB makes me throw up in my mouth and I am not enthused about the WR.

I will say this, with Heckert in charge I would not be completely shocked if we can't trade we make a Tyson Jackson type pick a few years ago, Heckert just takes who he likes regardless of value.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:25 am

Here's how I look at it:

Is Tannehill an upgrade over Colt McCoy? Almost certainly. Colt's a backup-quality QB with a low ceiling. Tannehill's potential is vast in comparison.

But is Tannehill a franchise, Super Bowl caliber QB? Much less sold on that. I'd give him a less than 30% chance that he'll be that kind of guy. His accuracy and decision-making are suspect. Those things CAN be improved, but it's not easy.

So even though it's an upgrade, it's a position where you need - NEED - to have a FRANCHISE guy, and if you don't think Tanny is a Franchise SB-type guy, then you don't take him at #4 overall even if he is an upgrade over what we've got.

Because this is one of those instances where an upgrade could also be a setback.
Hikohadon

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:53 am

Hikohadon wrote:Here's how I look at it:

Is Tannehill an upgrade over Colt McCoy? Almost certainly. Colt's a backup-quality QB with a low ceiling. Tannehill's potential is vast in comparison.

But is Tannehill a franchise, Super Bowl caliber QB? Much less sold on that. I'd give him a less than 30% chance that he'll be that kind of guy. His accuracy and decision-making are suspect. Those things CAN be improved, but it's not easy.

So even though it's an upgrade, it's a position where you need - NEED - to have a FRANCHISE guy, and if you don't think Tanny is a Franchise SB-type guy, then you don't take him at #4 overall even if he is an upgrade over what we've got.

Because this is one of those instances where an upgrade could also be a setback.

SD:

Under the old CBA a miss would be catastrophic , in todays game however , you can revisit the position next year if you have too and still be head of the big singular miss .

Yes you are supposed to net a starter picking in the top ten .

but who says he has to be a 2012 starter .

draft him as a 2013 starter and see how that works in your thinking .

Who can come out next year in 2013 and be ahead of this kid with a year under his belt .

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:29 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:

SD:

Under the old CBA a miss would be catastrophic , in todays game however , you can revisit the position next year if you have too and still be head of the big singular miss .

Yes you are supposed to net a starter picking in the top ten .

but who says he has to be a 2012 starter .

Who can come out next year in 2013 and be ahead of this kid with a year under his belt .

SoulDawg

Hey, I'm thinking long-term/big-picture too. If they draft him, I don't really care if he starts in 2012 or not.

But the big picture to me is that he needs to be a Franchise/SB-type QB if THIS franchise is going to take him THERE. Or is he an ordinary guy/Andy Dalton that can be had in any draft and teams would only consider taking this high b/c of some measurables and the fact that they're DESPERATE to address their past failures at the position.

Is he Ben Roethlisberger? Or is he Chad Henne?

I guess it comes down to this for me - There may or may not be a Luck/RG3 in next year's draft, and the Browns may or may not be in position to get him even if he is there. But I think the chances are real good that there will be a few Ryan Tannehills in next year's draft, and I think the Browns - even at around 12-15 - would still be in position to get him.

With RG3/Luck, you NEED to take that guy if you have the chance b/c you don't know when you'll get another opportunity.

With Tannehill, unless you're a playoff team, odds are real good that you'll get the chance every year.

Too high and too many holes for me to feel good about them taking a project guy this year.
Hikohadon

Unread postby mattvan1 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:32 pm

Print this and hang it on the wall. Dead solid perfect. Now, I would like to think that H&H realize this as well..............
mattvan1

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:52 pm

Certainly not a be all end all...especially with who is in the top right of this, but does this give anyone concern?

If anything I thought it was interesting both on Colt and where Tannehill would be

http://www.scoresreport.com/wp-content/ ... starts.jpg
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby OldDawg » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:08 pm

Some ESPN guy who was at Tannehills workout yesterday said the Browns SHOULD, not could, draft Tannehill at 4.

IF we are drafting Tannehill, I say we trade down to 6 or 7 (whomever wants a stud RB or WR of the 2) on draft day and take him right in front of Miami and pick up an extra pick. Of course you risk Miami trading up to 5 in between.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby OldDawg » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:21 pm

Heck. MaryKay Cabot is all over this Tannehill stuff with the ESPN's Todd McShay
@MaryKayCabot
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:45 pm

Cleveland Browns should take Tannehill, no big dropoff from RG3, says ESPN's Todd McShay

"I don't think the difference between Robert Griffin III and Tannehill is all that big, I really don't," ESPN's Todd McShay said on a conference call today. "I'd have a very difficult time passing on him at that No. 4 pick. I just think he has everything you look for in a future franchise quarterback if you develop him properly and you're willing to be patient.

Dear lord, let me off this crazy train.

DES-PER-A-SHUN.

As far as prospects go, RG3 is Erin Andrews, Tannehill is Dana Jacobson.
Hikohadon

Unread postby OldDawg » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:54 pm

If you say the word "patient" to a Cleveland sports fan, make sure he is unarmed.
OldDawg

Unread postby OldDawg » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:59 pm

OldDawg wrote:Some ESPN guy who was at Tannehills workout yesterday said the Browns SHOULD, not could, draft Tannehill at 4.

IF we are drafting Tannehill, I say we trade down to 6 or 7 (whomever wants a stud RB or WR of the 2) on draft day and take him right in front of Miami and pick up an extra pick. Of course you risk Miami trading up to 5 in between.

Today from Mary Kay Cabot ‏ @MaryKayCabot
#Rams coach jeff fisher, who has no. 6 pick, said the #browns at #4 are a realistic trade partner for rams.
OldDawg

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:08 pm

Listen, I can buy that he's a good "prospect" for "down the road", a guy with "potential" to be good if you're "patient" and "put him in the right system".

If the Browns had a functional veteran presence at QB, Tannehill might make some sense.

If the Browns were picking at #12 and he fell that far, Tannehill might make some sense.

In 2012 Cleveland - with the #4 overall pick - he's a disaster waiting to happen.

There is NO WAY you can afford to miss with a QB pick at #4, and I think the chance that he misses - especially here - is too high.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Spin » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:28 pm

I'm sorry but what position did Tannehill wind up playing in college?

We already have Joshua Cribbs.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby mattvan1 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:35 pm

Hikohadon wrote: As far as prospects go, RG3 is Erin Andrews, Tannehill is Dana Jacobson.

At least that makes Tanny the life of the party

mattvan1

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:37 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote: As far as prospects go, RG3 is Erin Andrews, Tannehill is Dana Jacobson.

Tanny Jacobson doing an impression of me after the Browns select him at #4.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:44 pm

How Cleveland fans feel about the prospect of Ryan Tannehill at #4:

Hikohadon

Unread postby pup » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:18 pm

mattvan1 wrote:

What is Alston Jeffrey doing?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby jb » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:19 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:but who says he has to be a 2012 starter .

SoulDawg

Who are you and what did you do with SD?

Been advocating the red shirt approach for years. But the trouble is when Colt = Colt and the rest of the uck zone known as the offense plays to probable level the hue and cry will be a deafening din to play Tannyhill, and they will end up playing him.
jb

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:43 pm

jb wrote:

SoulDawg

Been advocating the red shirt approach for years. But the trouble is when Colt = Colt and the rest of the uck zone known as the offense plays to probable level the hue and cry will be a deafening din to play Tannyhill, and they will end up playing him.

Exactly.

Why do people sit QB's for a year? So they can learn the offense, preferrably from a veteran who knows it well and can also help with life lessons of the NFL in general.

What part of that is Tannehill learning behind Colt McCoy?

When/if the team/Colt sucks, then there will be a call to get Tannehill experience, and it will probably be the right call at that point since I have no clue what he "learns" in this situation.

DIZ-ASS-TER. That is what the Tannehill pick is for this particular Org.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:34 pm

A commenter at WFNY pointed out that the media tends to fawn over the next available QB like a teenage girl with a wall full of Justin Bieber pics. Luck was The Guy up until Indy had that pick locked up, then they were all over RGIII up until Washington traded. Now its Tannehill. Its the E$PN Hype Machine at work again.

I've seen Heckgrin operate, and I don't see them chasing a project at #4. Miami at #8? Sure, but, well, that's Miami. I'd rather be us than Miami.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:53 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:A commenter at WFNY pointed out that the media tends to fawn over the next available QB like a teenage girl with a wall full of Justin Bieber pics. Luck was The Guy up until Indy had that pick locked up, then they were all over RGIII up until Washington traded. Now its Tannehill. Its the E$PN Hype Machine at work again.

I've seen Heckgrin operate, and I don't see them chasing a project at #4. Miami at #8? Sure, but, well, that's Miami. I'd rather be us than Miami.

I'm going to claim this guy before SD does.....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ound-pick/
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:10 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:I'm going to claim this guy before SD does.....

Osweiler in the 1st?

Yeah, he's tall, but did Gil Brandt ever see him throw? In a game, that is, not playing catch with buds.

I think I'll declare for this draft. Some expert will have me going in the 3rd after I throw a nerf 40 yards to my daughter.
Hikohadon

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:59 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:
Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:A commenter at WFNY pointed out that the media tends to fawn over the next available QB like a teenage girl with a wall full of Justin Bieber pics. Luck was The Guy up until Indy had that pick locked up, then they were all over RGIII up until Washington traded. Now its Tannehill. Its the E$PN Hype Machine at work again.

Value in the third behind Weeden
SoulDawg74

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:07 pm

Both organizations are viewed as absolute jokes. Both cities are broke.

Only redeemable quality in either one is South Beach.

Advantage Miami.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:08 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
Fire Marshall Bill wrote:I'm going to claim this guy before SD does.....

Osweiler in the 1st?

Yeah, he's tall, but did Gil Brandt ever see him throw? In a game, that is, not playing catch with buds.

I think I'll declare for this draft. Some expert will have me going in the 3rd after I throw a nerf 40 yards to my daughter.

All Kyle Boller had to do is drop to his knees and chuck it thru the post from the 50.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:56 pm

jb wrote:

SoulDawg

SD:

Long as don't trot him out to the crush of September , eventual playing time later in the year can be factored into your program going in .

If you'l recall its how Eli and McNabb were both worked in .

Yes they took a few lumps , but bumps dirt and water are good for growing boys ,
makes them into men.

The limited experience in that first year was invaluable , because there is nothing beats actual hands on experience , and by the time they played the pressure to win wasn't there and you could actually evaluate and teach .

The flip side is The Seneca McCoy monster combined does so well , he doesn't get a sniff of play next year on a playoff run .

What a shame .

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:29 pm

leadpipe wrote:

Both organizations are viewed as absolute jokes. Both cities are broke.

Only redeemable quality in either one is South Beach.

Advantage Miami.

Give me Cedar Point any day.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:39 pm

Always felt the gulf side of Florida was more preferable than the Atlantic.

though, if you're looking to go clubbing, and live it up as a 20-something athlete, Miami it would be.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:57 pm

Triple-S wrote:Always felt the gulf side of Florida was more preferable than the Atlantic.

though, if you're looking to go clubbing, and live it up as a 20-something athlete, Miami it would be.

I'm not, never was, never will be. So fuck that rat hole.
Hikohadon

Unread postby General » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:37 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:

So when he stinks we can call him BO? :woot:
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:46 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
Triple-S wrote:Always felt the gulf side of Florida was more preferable than the Atlantic.

I'm not, never was, never will be. So fuck that rat hole.

Things I agree with.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:16 pm

Hikohadon wrote:I'm not, never was, never will be. So fuck that rat hole.

C'mon, now. Who wouldn't want to finger bang a Cuban hottie on the dance floor?

Spades to Miami.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby mistero » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:52 pm

Of course this is a bluff. We already have a franchise QB in Cleveland. We just need to build him a cockpit. ::doh::

Taking Tanny at 4 is our last chance at being relevant in 2012 and 2013.

If they pass on him, say goodbye to H and H and Shermy.
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Favorite Player: Miller High Life
Least Favorite Player: Natural Light

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:56 am

mistero wrote:Taking Tanny at 4 is our last chance at being relevant in 2012 and 2013.

If they pass on him, say goodbye to H and H and Shermy.

It's always good to hear from the other side of sanity.
Hikohadon

Next

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL