Text Size

College Sports Arena

Big Dance - 2012

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: Big Dance - 2012

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:52 pm

Fuck the Pope.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby OldDawg » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:16 am

Its amazing how the game of college basketball has evolved. The Bobby Knight "motion" offense impact years ago created 1000s of coaches who taught kids to screen and cut and move without the ball. You were NEVER supposed to dribble nor set any ball screens.

Now, the two most prominent offensive schemes are ball screens and the "dribble drive" offense. The dribble drive offense is basically all about spacing the floor to create penetration opportunities. Even most "motion" offenses are run just to spread the floor out and create penetration opportunities.

I am amazed at how many teams spend a majority of their time setting ball screens. I am equally amazed at how many different ways people defend them, and how poorly some people defend them.

There is a ton of stuff you need to watch to study what is going on with ball screens. Its no longer the old "pick and roll" from the old days. Most people set ball screens not only to create penetration opportunities, they set them for pick-and-pop jump shooting big men. But the most intriguing thing is teams set ballscreens to simply attack how people defend them.

For example, Ohio U, who just happens to set a ton of ball screens, has double-teamed every ball screen. That is very high risk - high reward. That means that leaves 3 guys guarding the other 4. OU must rotate VERY aggressively with those other 3 guys and "zone up" those 4. Teams set ballscreens against OU knowing the dribbler won't score, but just to attempt to attack with the 4 vs 3 after the ball comes out of the trap. I am shocked that OU will still do that late in the game protecting a small lead. But they are very good at it.

I am also amazed how poorly folks defend the ball screen at the end of shot clock situations. It seems all folks have to do is send your center to ball screen the point guard and people will switch that screen, leaving your center guarding their point guard, tripping all over himself.

Aaron Craft is the best on getting through ball screens. He is quite 'crafty,' pardon the pun.

Why the ball screen lecture? Just encouraging you to watch what's going on with ball screens on both sides of the ball and off the ball. Its pretty intriguing stuff. Like I said, its not your father's pick and roll.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:10 pm

OldDawg wrote:Its amazing how the game of college basketball has evolved. The Bobby Knight "motion" offense impact years ago created 1000s of coaches who taught kids to screen and cut and move without the ball. You were NEVER supposed to dribble nor set any ball screens.

Now, the two most prominent offensive schemes are ball screens and the "dribble drive" offense. The dribble drive offense is basically all about spacing the floor to create penetration opportunities. Even most "motion" offenses are run just to spread the floor out and create penetration opportunities.

I am amazed at how many teams spend a majority of their time setting ball screens. I am equally amazed at how many different ways people defend them, and how poorly some people defend them.

There is a ton of stuff you need to watch to study what is going on with ball screens. Its no longer the old "pick and roll" from the old days. Most people set ball screens not only to create penetration opportunities, they set them for pick-and-pop jump shooting big men. But the most intriguing thing is teams set ballscreens to simply attack how people defend them.

For example, Ohio U, who just happens to set a ton of ball screens, has double-teamed every ball screen. That is very high risk - high reward. That means that leaves 3 guys guarding the other 4. OU must rotate VERY aggressively with those other 3 guys and "zone up" those 4. Teams set ballscreens against OU knowing the dribbler won't score, but just to attempt to attack with the 4 vs 3 after the ball comes out of the trap. I am shocked that OU will still do that late in the game protecting a small lead. But they are very good at it.

I am also amazed how poorly folks defend the ball screen at the end of shot clock situations. It seems all folks have to do is send your center to ball screen the point guard and people will switch that screen, leaving your center guarding their point guard, tripping all over himself.

Aaron Craft is the best on getting through ball screens. He is quite 'crafty,' pardon the pun.

Why the ball screen lecture? Just encouraging you to watch what's going on with ball screens on both sides of the ball and off the ball. Its pretty intriguing stuff. Like I said, its not your father's pick and roll.

And that's why e0y2e3 asked you to post more on hoops.

That was a good read and I, for one, appreciate it. Never considered the constant state of rotating and zoning that the OU defenders were doing all game long.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:16 pm

Great read indeed. Excellent post OD.

I think what makes Craft so good at defending the ball screen is that he undercuts it so fast that he either challenges the guy to make a jump shot or try a contested drive. Since possessions are so important against OSU, guys don't want to take the long threes off the first or second ball screen.

So much of basketball offense is about moving without the ball. The teams left in March Madness do a great job of moving without the ball. The ones who have gone home are the ones who are lazy.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:28 pm

NONSENSE, that has nothing on a PROSECUTOR post.

Anyhow, thanks OD.

You need to check out the Nuggets crazy P&R offense this year come the playoffs (I realize 10PM tips are probably after your bed time, but try).

<-- still doesn't know why won any games aside from this Ohio crap <--'s hearing from third hand sources
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby OldDawg » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:41 pm

peeker643 wrote:And that's why e0y2e3 asked you to post more on hoops.

That was a good read and I, for one, appreciate it.
Thanks. I don't always have a lot of time to post during basketball season. NCAA tourney is my favorite sporting event of the year. The neat thing is getting to watch teams we haven't seen nor heard of all year and find out that folks are playing some pretty good hoops out there that never hit ESPN.

peeker643 wrote:Never considered the constant state of rotating and zoning that the OU defenders were doing all game long.
More rotating than "zoning," but zoning in the effect that there are 3 guys guarding 4. They usually rotate and leave the guy furthest from the ball open, banking on the aggressiveness of the trap on the ball making a long pass impossible.

There was a possession late in the OU/USF game when OU double teamed a ball screen on the wing. A post defender had to rotate over to pick up the pick and pop post man. That rotating defender had to leave his post man alone in the key. A much smaller guard then had to dive inside to cover the post. The offensive post went to war with the smaller guard, pinning him on his back. They fed him and the guard ended up fouling him on the catch. The whole reason USF set the ball screen was to create that mismatch. OU either had to leave the pick and pop big alone for a jumper, or defend a post man with a guard. I love watching that kind of chess match.

Like I said, though, I am a little surprised that late in the game that OU doesn't go a little more conservative on that. When you double team the ball like that you are vulnerable to mismatches and fouls. You see a lot of guards dribbling into the leg or hip of the trapper to draw the foul. Late in the game, I don't like gambling. However, it creates turnovers and is very disruptive. I don't know if they do it all the time. But in the MAC tourney and NCAA tourney I think they have done it almost every time. The old saying, "dance with who brung ya." I have a little bit of a tie with John Groce at OU so I follow them closely.

Other teams do a lot of switching on ballscreens. Others "hedge," which looks like a temporary double team and recover. That is what you see in the NBA on ball screens.

You can also see what teams think of certain players, scouting report wise. I think it was St Louis's point guard. The other team went under every ball screen. Leaving him wide open for 15-17 foot jumpers. That other team is saying he cant make jumpers. Kinda like when the Cavs defended Rondo in the playoffs a few years ago.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Unread postby OldDawg » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:47 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:<-- still doesn't know why won any games aside from this Ohio crap <--'s hearing from third hand sources
Huh??

I will give the Denver offense a look. As you may know, I don't really follow the NBA closely except for the Cavs, until playoff time. I feel guilty watching the Cavs this year, because I am all about ping pong balls this year, but cant pull against them.
OldDawg

Unread postby OldDawg » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:53 pm

skatingtripods wrote:I think what makes Craft so good at defending the ball screen is that he undercuts it so fast that he either challenges the guy to make a jump shot or try a contested drive. Since possessions are so important against OSU, guys don't want to take the long threes off the first or second ball screen.

Craft defies logic sometimes. He has a great combination of speed, strength, anticipation, quickness and most importantly, competitiveness. He gets over the top of screens so quickly, he often doesn't need any help. He is quick and strong going over the top. It may not look like it on TV, but those screeners are laying the wood on those guys on ballscreens, and you have to be physically strong to absorb that contact and fight through the screen.

In OSU's last game they called a foul on Craft fighting thru a screen. It was a horrible call, but the official probably figured what he just did was impossible. I love Craft. He's a freaking beast.
Last edited by OldDawg on Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldDawg

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:54 pm

I despise the NCAAS, watch my college hoops for recruiting during the season. Amy one and done sixty four team pile just pisses me off to watch, so I don't...., especially with how much I hate this OSU team. Maybe the final four, shrug.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:00 pm

I dig ;-) ;) :wink:

That's one reason I think the injury to UNC's PG Kendall marshall is a big this week. UNC would have all week to focus on the OU tendencies and game plan around that. I think that losing their PG (who's not a scorer himself) evens the odds a bit in that UNC will be focused on getting eithera true freshman PG or a senior w/limited experience running the point and feeling more comfortable. They have to worry about that while also game planning. Those big, smart, well-coached athletes would have a decided advantage against OU any other day (and still do to an extent) but this will make it a bit closer IMO.

OU makes the PG uncomfortable and it gets interesting. And their doubling/rotating/'zoning' may be more effective if they can confidently leave the PG out there to shoot what he wants to shoot.

Wouldn't be surprised for UNC to just tell the kid to bring the ball up, dump it down low and let the offense work inside out. But again, that may take some TarHeels out of their comfort zone.

Or UNC could win by 30 and I'm all wet.

OldDawg wrote:
peeker643 wrote:And that's why e0y2e3 asked you to post more on hoops.

That was a good read and I, for one, appreciate it.
Thanks. I don't always have a lot of time to post during basketball season. NCAA tourney is my favorite sporting event of the year. The neat thing is getting to watch teams we haven't seen nor heard of all year and find out that folks are playing some pretty good hoops out there that never hit ESPN.

peeker643 wrote:Never considered the constant state of rotating and zoning that the OU defenders were doing all game long.
More rotating than "zoning," but zoning in the effect that there are 3 guys guarding 4. They usually rotate and leave the guy furthest from the ball open, banking on the aggressiveness of the trap on the ball making a long pass impossible.

There was a possession late in the OU/USF game when OU double teamed a ball screen on the wing. A post defender had to rotate over to pick up the pick and pop post man. That rotating defender had to leave his post man alone in the key. A much smaller guard then had to dive inside to cover the post. The offensive post went to war with the smaller guard, pinning him on his back. They fed him and the guard ended up fouling him on the catch. The whole reason USF set the ball screen was to create that mismatch. OU either had to leave the pick and pop big alone for a jumper, or defend a post man with a guard. I love watching that kind of chess match.

Like I said, though, I am a little surprised that late in the game that OU doesn't go a little more conservative on that. When you double team the ball like that you are vulnerable to mismatches and fouls. You see a lot of guards dribbling into the leg or hip of the trapper to draw the foul. Late in the game, I don't like gambling. However, it creates turnovers and is very disruptive. I don't know if they do it all the time. But in the MAC tourney and NCAA tourney I think they have done it almost every time. The old saying, "dance with who brung ya." I have a little bit of a tie with John Groce at OU so I follow them closely.

Other teams do a lot of switching on ballscreens. Others "hedge," which looks like a temporary double team and recover. That is what you see in the NBA on ball screens.

You can also see what teams think of certain players, scouting report wise. I think it was St Louis's point guard. The other team went under every ball screen. Leaving him wide open for 15-17 foot jumpers. That other team is saying he cant make jumpers. Kinda like when the Cavs defended Rondo in the playoffs a few years ago.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby OldDawg » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:33 pm

peeker643 wrote:I dig ;-) ;) :wink:

That's one reason I think the injury to UNC's PG Kendall marshall is a big this week. UNC would have all week to focus on the OU tendencies and game plan around that. I think that losing their PG (who's not a scorer himself) evens the odds a bit in that UNC will be focused on getting eithera true freshman PG or a senior w/limited experience running the point and feeling more comfortable. They have to worry about that while also game planning. Those big, smart, well-coached athletes would have a decided advantage against OU any other day (and still do to an extent) but this will make it a bit closer IMO.

OU makes the PG uncomfortable and it gets interesting. And their doubling/rotating/'zoning' may be more effective if they can confidently leave the PG out there to shoot what he wants to shoot.

Wouldn't be surprised for UNC to just tell the kid to bring the ball up, dump it down low and let the offense work inside out. But again, that may take some TarHeels out of their comfort zone.

Great points. Doubling an uncomfortable point guard could aid OU. However, you are leaving one of 4 all-americans open somewhere, too.

UNC has to decide if they want to try to force those rotations and mismatches by setting those ballscreens. Or make life easy on the point guard and not set ballscreens for him. If they run other guys off ball screens, guess who OU leaves open... the "uncomfortable" point guard... putting pressure on him. Even if the point guard plays with the wrist injury, how well will he handle the traps?

What we all forget is that every kid on UNC's roster was considered to be way above MAC level in high school, or UNC would never have recruited them. It is not like they are bringing in chopped liver off the bench.
OldDawg

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:17 pm

Nope. Not chopped liver at all. Not there. But the backup PG is already lost for the year and the guys who will fill in for Marshall are inexperienced either because they're really young or they never worked out.

But yes, they were all McDonald's All Americans at one point (in all likelihood). If I'm OU I'm having the UNC PG have to make decisions and not shots. I think a shot is a lot easier to make than any number of proper decisions with the ball in a given offensive set, half or game. Especially at game speed and when that game is a Sweet 16 NCAA tourney game.

That might go against the OU tenets of how they normally defend, but that's another one of those decisions a coach gets paid to make.

But you hit on the chess match angle. Love situations whre yu not only see great athletes playing the game but the thoughts and strategies that go into that game as well.

OldDawg wrote:
peeker643 wrote:I dig ;-) ;) :wink:

Great points. Doubling an uncomfortable point guard could aid OU. However, you are leaving one of 4 all-americans open somewhere, too.

UNC has to decide if they want to try to force those rotations and mismatches by setting those ballscreens. Or make life easy on the point guard and not set ballscreens for him. If they run other guys off ball screens, guess who OU leaves open... the "uncomfortable" point guard... putting pressure on him. Even if the point guard plays with the wrist injury, how well will he handle the traps?

What we all forget is that every kid on UNC's roster was considered to be way above MAC level in high school, or UNC would never have recruited them. It is not like they are bringing in chopped liver off the bench.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby pod2dawg » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:56 pm

I am wearing green but OU loses by 20 to the f%^^&&cking tarheels ( yes I went to Wake Forest) regardless of who those baby blue wine & cheesers put out at point.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby jb » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:22 am

pod2dawg wrote:I am wearing green but OU loses by 20 to the f%^^&&cking tarheels ( yes I went to Wake Forest) regardless of who those baby blue wine & cheesers put out at point.

Don't discount UNC's attrition. If healthy, I thin they win it all. But...

FTR - I have UK beating UNC in the final
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:48 am

jb wrote:
pod2dawg wrote:I am wearing green but OU loses by 20 to the f%^^&&cking tarheels ( yes I went to Wake Forest) regardless of who those baby blue wine & cheesers put out at point.

Don't discount UNC's attrition. If healthy, I thin they win it all. But...

FTR - I have UK beating UNC in the final

I had UNC over KY until all of UNC's pets' heads started falling off.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:10 pm

North Carolina will win by 15 b/c they are North Carolina.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:44 pm

Almost every time I've watched UNC during the regular season this year, I thought they played soft. There was so much hype around this team in the preseason. I wouldn't bet on UNC, but I wouldn't bet on anyone right now... Except maybe UK. I think they play with a chip on their shoulder. Just not a hug fan of the One-and-Done-University approach to that extent.
OldDawg

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:18 pm

'Cuse dodges the bullet. Wisconsin has horrible last possession. But they have an offensive rebound hit them in the hands 1 foot from the rim and the dude doesn't snag it.

Louisville looking to upset MSU
OldDawg

Unread postby bac5665 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:20 pm

If Sparty could wait one more round or two to ruin by bracket,that would be cool.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:34 pm

OldDawg wrote:'Cuse dodges the bullet. Wisconsin has horrible last possession. But they have an offensive rebound hit them in the hands 1 foot from the rim and the dude doesn't snag it.

Wisconsin has horrible last possessionS; plural. Awful shot selection. Jezuz Chryst they're like a 5th grade CYO team. Gotta pass the ball at least 15 times, everyone has to touch it, and then someone can shoot. Attack the damn hoop, get fouled, do something other than heave up a prayer when ya got 15 seconds to work with! I took Wisc +3 which I won obviously, but I also had them winning in my bracket, so I'm pretty pissed; also obviously.
"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it!" -Al Czervik
LakeErieWarriors

Favorite Player: Browns Draft
Least Favorite Player: Browns Training Camp

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:38 pm

LakeErieWarriors wrote:
OldDawg wrote:'Cuse dodges the bullet. Wisconsin has horrible last possession. But they have an offensive rebound hit them in the hands 1 foot from the rim and the dude doesn't snag it.

Wisconsin has horrible last possessionS; plural. Awful shot selection. Jezuz Chryst they're like a 5th grade CYO team. Gotta pass the ball at least 15 times, everyone has to touch it, and then someone can shoot. Attack the damn hoop, get fouled, do something other than heave up a prayer when ya got 15 seconds to work with! I took Wisc +3 which I won obviously, but I also had them winning in my bracket, so I'm pretty pissed; also obviously.

Did Wiscy have timeouts left? I was flipping between the games.
OldDawg

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:40 pm

LakeErieWarriors wrote:they're like a 5th grade CYO team. Gotta pass the ball at least 15 times, everyone has to touch it, and then someone can shoot. .

What CYO teams are you watching? The ones I watch, the kid who brings it up either shoots it or passes it to a guy who shoots it.
OldDawg

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:48 pm

Had a real liberal coach before we got his ass out and started winning championships.
LakeErieWarriors

Unread postby pod2dawg » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:50 pm

Hey Eo,
Is that you behind the Buckeye bench cheering like a demon with a Sullinger jersey on?

:)
pod2dawg

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:14 pm

<-- watching Archer as I decided after the B1G tourney I was done with this OSU team.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:37 pm

OldDawg wrote:
LakeErieWarriors wrote:

Did Wiscy have timeouts left? I was flipping between the games.

They had one left, yes.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby fairvis » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:54 pm

Wisky blows it... and this game wouldn't be close if we could prevent the second chance opportunities and score on the fast break...

DeShawn has been insane all tourney. Let's keep this up...
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby furls » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:22 pm

Buford is a ghost.... again. I look like a prophet re: Thomas. I said after Buford and Sullinger announced that they were coming back that Thomas' development would be the most important factor for this team in 2012. Buford is sooo bad tonight that I am seriously beginning to wonder if he is point shaving in these big games. He is making inexplicably bad plays today. He isn't just 3-16 (or something terrible like that), he is turning the ball over and giving dumb fouls.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:14 am

furls wrote:Buford is a ghost.... again. I look like a prophet re: Thomas. I said after Buford and Sullinger announced that they were coming back that Thomas' development would be the most important factor for this team in 2012. Buford is sooo bad tonight that I am seriously beginning to wonder if he is point shaving in these big games. He is making inexplicably bad plays today. He isn't just 3-16 (or something terrible like that), he is turning the ball over and giving dumb fouls.

That may have been the closest, most nerve-wracking 15-point win in tourney history.

Sure hope Willie the Sieve shows up in Boston before 7pm Saturday. Against that zone they're gonna need all hands on deck.

Jardine ain't getting to 10. Hope the 'Cuse have a Plan B because their frontline fits right into Sully's wheelhouse. There's no hulking 7-footer to lean on him and if Buford/DT can loosen up the zone Sully can actually earn his keep Saturday night.

Syracuse extended that zone out to the arc against Wiscy because Badgers had ZERO inside presence and didn't even send cutters to try and chop it up. Buckeyes will get in the paint. If Buford shows up they should win that game.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:37 am

I keep think Buford is going to explode and have a huge game. But he's just playing like dog shit, it's ridiculous.. He had about the worst stretch of basketball tonight that I've seen in awhile. I swore a lot.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:51 am

peeker643 wrote:That may have been the closest, most nerve-wracking 15-point win in tourney history.

Sure hope Willie the Sieve shows up in Boston before 7pm Saturday. Against that zone they're gonna need all hands on deck.

Jardine ain't getting to 10. Hope the 'Cuse have a Plan B because their frontline fits right into Sully's wheelhouse. There's no hulking 7-footer to lean on him and if Buford/DT can loosen up the zone Sully can actually earn his keep Saturday night.

Syracuse extended that zone out to the arc against Wiscy because Badgers had ZERO inside presence and didn't even send cutters to try and chop it up. Buckeyes will get in the paint. If Buford shows up they should win that game.

Maybe for a a few minutes it was...thats about it though. Cinci was ridiculous with those hip checks and there was a charge in there as well in that run that was about as bad a call as you are going to see...Buford only took 8 shots..he was a ghost. Or continues to be rather. I agree that Zone is going to be tough if we can't get Buford in the game early. A little inside outside Sully/Thomas - Buford would be great to start this game. The way we were playing at the end of the season I didn't see us getting out of the 16 without something from Buford...well I'm probably going to only be wrong by 1 round here.

Not that Cuse is some softie, but count me in as someone who is at least mildly glad Whisky completely fucked themselves out of the elite eight with one of the worst final possessions I've seen in a very long time. 13 Seconds and a TO down 1....absolutely fucking embarrasing play at the end.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby pup » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:56 am

Bo Ryan should be fired for that last possession.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:50 pm

Well shut my mouth.

Have to admit this Buckeye team has definitely put forth an effort to up their game so to speak. Granted they may not be playing lights out but they look a ton better than 2-3 weeks ago. If Buford happens to show up big soon they could take a legit shot at this thing.

FUDU

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:51 pm

Barnes is playing his way to a return to school and not the draft.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby jb » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:40 pm

I bet Michael Scott is proud of how well Dwight Schrute is coaching IU.
jb

Unread postby jb » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:41 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:Barnes is playing his way to a return to school and not the draft.

Ey0 is right. Kids can't dribble, can't create his own shot. Be a nice pick around slot 15.
jb

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:05 am

FUDU wrote:Well shut my mouth.

Have to admit this Buckeye team has definitely put forth an effort to up their game so to speak. Granted they may not be playing lights out but they look a ton better than 2-3 weeks ago. If Buford happens to show up big soon they could take a legit shot at this thing.

^^^^This. I had em going Final Four not because I thought they were that good, but because Syracuse without Melo wouldn't be able to make it there. I think the Bucks should beat them tonight; they're on a roll, and surprising the hell outta me. They picked a good time to play to their potential, I'm shocked and impressed.
LakeErieWarriors

Unread postby pup » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:32 am

Has anyone seen tOSU versus a zone?

Be lucky to > 50 tonight.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby pup » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:53 pm

pup wrote:Has anyone seen tOSU versus a zone?

Be lucky to > 50 tonight.

Told you

:hide:

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby dmiles » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:37 pm

If anyone watches more games why doesn't Amir Williams get a little less pine time? Sure he's green and loses himself defensively at times, but Ravenel is foul and turnover prone and I've yet to see much of a positive outside of being decent at boxing out. I like the length of Williams, with his ability to alter shots and take it up strong.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby pup » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:43 pm

dmiles wrote:If anyone watches more games why doesn't Amir Williams get a little less pine time? Sure he's green and loses himself defensively at times, but Ravenel is foul and turnover prone and I've yet to see much of a positive outside of being decent at boxing out. I like the length of Williams, with his ability to alter shots and take it up strong.

Because it is Thad.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby pup » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:43 pm

We have to be hoping for Kansas tomorrow, no?

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:24 pm

pup wrote:We have to be hoping for Kansas tomorrow, no?

I think they're about equal. Kansas has problems on the inside defensively and UNC would have an out/injured PG going against Aaron Craft.

And hopefully well get a ref crew that doesn't want to ruin the game for the fans.

Dreadful performance by those clowns tonight..... both ways.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby furls » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:57 am

Matta only plays 8ish guys (two more than last year). Williams is very raw and doesn't really do anything well. He has no idea where he is supposed to be most of the time. THe plan was for him to play 5 this year and for sully to move to the 4, but Williams is just too limited. He is a much better athlete than Sully and a much more imposing interior threat (defensively) when he is in position.

I really don't like OSU's chances with UNC because of the 7footer. He will dominate Sullinger, shades of last year vs. UK. KU is a much better match up. I am rooting for anyone but UNC or UK. I think tOSU can hold their own against any of the remaining teams.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:43 am

Hats off to the Buckeyes on a hard fought victory. The reffs were terrrible. What a joke.

We can win this thing if we our outside shooting can keep them honest & a little luck.

:clap:
pod2dawg

Unread postby OldDawg » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:43 am

OSU showed a lot last night. Sully plays 6 mins in the first half and they win.

Then Sully is a beast in the second half. A beast. Most teams don't attack the inside of 'Cuse's zone, but the Bucks went right to Sully, and he showed no fear at all. I have never been more impressed with Sully than I was last night. He made some tough shots.

Also impressed with Matta. You have one day to prepare for Syracuse's vaunted zone, and your kids attacked it with poise.

I am stunned. OSU reached the final four last night. And there is no buzz on here about it.
OldDawg

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:11 pm

e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:12 pm

And yeah, Sully has put on his big boi pants this week. I'm less impressed by the shot he makes then I am the passing. He is running the O inside out (which is the correct way to beat the zone........). Good on him.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:33 pm

OldDawg wrote:OSU showed a lot last night. Sully plays 6 mins in the first half and they win.

Then Sully is a beast in the second half. A beast. Most teams don't attack the inside of 'Cuse's zone, but the Bucks went right to Sully, and he showed no fear at all. I have never been more impressed with Sully than I was last night. He made some tough shots.

Also impressed with Matta. You have one day to prepare for Syracuse's vaunted zone, and your kids attacked it with poise.

I am stunned. OSU reached the final four last night. And there is no buzz on here about it.

I'll give it to the Buckeyes for showing some balls and some heart last night. Matta had said their prep for Cincy and 'Cuse was all zone as both teams play a load of it so preparing for Ciny and 'Cuse was similar.

But he did do a nice job of keeping the officials in check with Boeheim across the way and he did a nice job of getting his team to finally show some fire.

Craft was everywhere again. Needs to settle a bit as he picked up about 9 fouls in 40 seconds at one point but look at the game he played last night despite scoring 5 points. Any question at all as to who provides the heartbeat for that team?

Sully wins an MVP that should have gone to any other Buckeye starter other than Buford.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:58 pm

The poise, focus and heart they've displayed so far this tourney is reason to believe they can beat anybody left, not that it would be easy. I'm not Sully's biggest fan, especially since he lost weight this past year for the purpose of playing at the next level, but he makes impressive shots and has a sweet touch.

Agree with peeker on Craft, he was getting so into it he went overboard,

Oh and the dunk from the freshman off of Craft's lob, ridiculous.

FUDU

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports Arena