Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Justin Blackmon Under the Scope

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Justin Blackmon Under the Scope

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:30 am

Justin Blackmon, the best of a deep (if not quite elite) receiving pool for the Browns to choose from: http://bit.ly/GBN4s6

My thought: If Green, Jones and Blackmon were in the same draft Blackmon is the last one off the board.

Gonna be very good, but not elite. I've seen one elite player in the guys we've looked at and I still hate that it's a RB.

Again, if someone wants that 4th and you can move back, man, it'd be hard to pass up the trading down option.

Haven't formally looked at Claiborne and Coples yet on the site, but hard to believe they'll change that thought.

I'd rather (so far) have Kendall Wright, Lamar Miller, Weeden than Blackmon or Richardson or Tannehill. Just from a value perspective.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Justin Blackmon Under the Scope

Unread postby andrew6586 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:56 am

Maybe I'm way off base here but I think that we should take a flyer on Broyles from Oklahoma in later rounds. He was considered one of the top WRs in college last year before he blew out his knee. He has great size and good hands. I think he is worth a 4th or 5th rounf pick.

I'm not saying he will be our number 1 WR or that he should be the first WR we take, but I think he has a lot to offer a team if he's healthy.
Once a fan, always a fan.
On Twitter @apac6586
andrew6586
Church of Asdrubal

Favorite Player: Kenny Lofton
Least Favorite Player: Mark Shapiro

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:05 am

If a team in their position takes a receiver with the fourth overall pick, well, that would be, as they say in draft jargon, so Brownsish.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:32 am

leadpipe wrote:If a team in their position takes a receiver with the fourth overall pick, well, that would be, as they say in draft jargon, so Brownsish.

Actually, it'd be kind of Lionsish.

If only Blackmon had a chance to be Megatron.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:24 am

leadpipe wrote:If a team in their position takes a receiver with the fourth overall pick, well, that would be, as they say in draft jargon, so Brownsish.

I dont disagree with not taking a WR here, although I'd probably feel a little different if AJ Green was sitting there at #4, but who are you going with then? Just wondering because I haven't seen you endorse any particular choice here but you have been down on taking a few guys in that spot.

IIRC, you didn't like the idea of Claiborne there either in an earlier thread. I doubt you like the idea of Trent Richardson.

There are no Passrushers at OLB in the fist round, at least not for a 4-3. There are a couple maybe for 3-4 slotted for the end of the 1st.

That leaves Dlinemen, and there are no major no-brainer standouts, I guess the list would be something like Coples, Ingram, and maybe Poe. I like the last 2 as players even though both would be (on draft day) considered huge reaches at #4, but realistically with Taylor and Rubin and Rucker and Sheard I dont see the Browns taking a DLineman in the 1st round.

Rieff would obviously be another option there who despite being about as unsexy a pick as you can have addresses a huge hole on the offensive line and seems like a much better Tackle than Adams and Sanders. I wish the Browns would have spent Ruckers money on Winston but they didn't.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:51 am

God i'd hate to trade down and let the Rams get what they want, after the Fisher express ran over Berea.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby pod2dawg » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:55 am

JCoz wrote: I wish the Browns would have spent Ruckers money on Winston but they didn't.

^^^^^ That. But I wonder if he'da come?
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:20 am

pod2dawg wrote:
JCoz wrote: I wish the Browns would have spent Ruckers money on Winston but they didn't.

I think the Browns had plenty of money to pay them both. Not a one-or-the-other scenario.

I also think Blackmon would've gone ahead of Jones last year (similar measurables, way more productive), but that's neither here nor there.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:41 am

Hikohadon wrote:
pod2dawg wrote:

I think the Browns had plenty of money to pay them both. Not a one-or-the-other scenario.

I also think Blackmon would've gone ahead of Jones last year (similar measurables, way more productive), but that's neither here nor there.

Disagree wholeheartedly. Jones ran a 4.39 40 last year, outbenched Blackmon, measured at 6'3", 220 as opposed to 6'1" 207. Jones had 39" vertical and a 11'3" broad jump.

Out-produced? Yep. Alabama and OK St run decidedly different offenses and 'Bama also handed the ball to Ingram 30 times a game while Jones willingly and capably blocked his balls off.

No way a freakish, productive, bigger and faster Jones goes after Blackmon.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:49 am

Thats true I'm sure Hiko. I dont re

But I dont think Blackmon gets a higher rating than Jones. He might be better than him in the NFL but thats a different point. IMO no one is drafting Blackmon over Jones after the ridiculous combine numbers Jones posted. He's Bigger and a lot faster. 2 inches taller, 15 lbs heavier and you are talking about a sub 4.4 guy vs a 4.5 guy IIRC.Being more productive in an Air Raid vs Bama's offense...well I'm not sure how much weight that carries on draft day.

I think it does matter in a way because I guess part of this discussion would have to be the seperation Blackmon has as a wr prospect vs the receivers available at 22 or 37.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:07 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
pod2dawg wrote:

Disagree wholeheartedly. Jones ran a 4.39 40 last year, outbenched Blackmon, measured at 6'3", 220 as opposed to 6'1" 207. Jones had 39" vertical and a 11'3" broad jump.

Out-produced? Yep. Alabama and OK St run decidedly different offenses and 'Bama also handed the ball to Ingram 30 times a game while Jones willingly and capably blocked his balls off.

No way a freakish, productive, bigger and faster Jones goes after Blackmon.

I'm not sure how much stock GM's put in combine numbers, but, again, it matters not. I know I liked Blackmon more than Jones last year before Blackmon decided to go back to school, but my vote is inconsequential. I still reserve my judgement on Jones, although he was better as a rookie than I thought he'd be.

The difference in the offensive system is duly noted, but that doesn't change the fact that Blackmon was much more of a game-changer than Julio during his college time.

In the end, whomever they take will be a welcome addition, if exponentially less exciting than RG3.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL