Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

2012 NFL Free Agency

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: 2012 NFL Free Agency

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:27 pm

so richardson or blackmon with the 4th?
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:07 pm

3/16 for Patterson is better than what Eazy E pulled from Tampa, and i'm 100% sure he's a better CB, at least based on last years body of evidence.

Bet he starts this year, with Brown at the nickel/safety and Skrine rotating in.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:39 pm

Gradysmanldy wrote:3/16 for Patterson is better than what Eazy E pulled from Tampa, and i'm 100% sure he's a better CB, at least based on last years body of evidence.

Bet he starts this year, with Brown at the nickel/safety and Skrine rotating in.

This is what I was wondering, I'm not familiar with the current costs of a nickelback but its hard to believe you'd pay 5+ million a year for a part time defensive starter.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:55 pm

Browns picked up another Lineman Juqua Parker, 1 year 3 mil. Was a backup for Philly last season.
JCoz

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:42 pm

Citing a league source, the Plain Dealer is reporting that the Browns have re-signed free agent CB Dimitri Patterson to a three-year deal totaling $16 million ($6 million guaranteed). Patterson was used primarily in the nickel last year, but will likely start in 2012, with Sheldon Brown moving to safety.

Team president Mike Holmgren told season ticket holders the Browns will probably use their three picks in the top 37 for offensive weapons, according to the Plain Dealer. He added that he will discourage GM Tom Heckert from trading down from No. 4. Heckert dealt the No. 6 pick in 2011, which Atlanta used to snag WR Julio Jones.

Sounds like Blackmon at #4 to me.

I actually think they SHOULD trade down if they can.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:49 pm

Wow that really throws a wrench in my thinking.

I am not a fan of Blackmon at #4. If they feel that they need to get a WR that high I think Floyd is going to be tbe better Pro.

I definitely think they should be attempting to trade down if we are going offensive with those picks.
JCoz

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:52 pm

Sweeeeeeeet!

Who the hell is going to get him the ball?

Trade down.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:55 pm

JCoz wrote:Wow that really throws a wrench in my thinking.

I am not a fan of Blackmon at #4. If they feel that they need to get a WR that high I think Floyd is going to be tbe better Pro.

I definitely think they should be attempting to trade down if we are going offensive with those picks.

If they truly do go Offense with the first 3, then it has to be some combination of WR/RB/QB/OL. If they don't trade down from 4, then one of Blackmon, Richardson, Tannehill, and Kalil is a Brown.

I can deal with the popular notion that they should just go WR/RB/OL and deal with the QB position later (somehow - how is very vague). Also fine with Weeden at 37.
Hikohadon

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:57 pm

Maybe just effing with ST Louis at this point. Seems he's a bit pissed.

Remember they had no interest in trading up for RGIII ;-) ;) :wink:

I think that was right as they were offering 3 #1s
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:00 pm

peeker643 wrote:

What are you referencing there? I never said they didn't have interest in trading up I said they wanted to but would fail.
JCoz

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:01 pm

You are the only person in America that favors Floyd, he of constantly dropping draft position since about Sept, to Blackmon.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:06 pm

You confused when you threw in a wink wink with your sarcastic shot that statement.
JCoz

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:08 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:

You are the only person in America that favors Floyd, he of constantly dropping draft position since about Sept, to Blackmon.

I might be the only one that favors floyd, but you are wrong on the rest, he's top ten now in the mocks I've been looking at since the combine.
JCoz

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:16 pm

JCoz wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

What are you referencing there? I never said they didn't have interest in trading up I said they wanted to but would fail.

General statement. Saying they could be messing with Rams who they feel effed them on RGIII trade. Can't trust what anyone says as Heckert said day before RGIII trade that Browns weren't looking to move up. But that wasn't true and neither might this be.

You're a defensive chap. ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:26 pm

Lie, truth, who cares? I always assume Front Office types are lying. It's part of their job. You'd offend too many people/give away your plans.

He should've lied and said they weren't willing to give all those picks up. At least then it was their choice, not they got out-bid in a blind auction or screwed over by STL b/c of Fisher & Shanahan's friendship, either of which makes them look somewhat incompetent.
Hikohadon

Unread postby pup » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:03 pm

Hikohadon wrote:Lie, truth, who cares? I always assume Front Office types are lying. It's part of their job. You'd offend too many people/give away your plans.

He should've lied and said they weren't willing to give all those picks up. At least then it was their choice, not they got out-bid in a blind auction or screwed over by STL b/c of Fisher & Shanahan's friendship, either of which makes them look somewhat incompetent.

You cannot believe that. The cleanest way is to act like you did everything in your power and got screwed over. Then you could get on a conference call with your season ticket holders and convince them you are doing whatever you can, but the entire world has conspired to make sure you cannot be successful :lmfao: .
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:13 pm

pup wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:Lie, truth, who cares? I always assume Front Office types are lying. It's part of their job. You'd offend too many people/give away your plans.

You cannot believe that. The cleanest way is to act like you did everything in your power and got screwed over. Then you could get on a conference call with your season ticket holders and convince them you are doing whatever you can, but the entire world has conspired to make sure you cannot be successful :lmfao: .

I can and I do.

Most people seem like they agree with you - they are comforted somewhat by the fact that the Browns at least tried. They are further mollified by STL being evil nepotism-ers.

I'm not a fan that they're portraying themselves as victims. I would prefer that the Browns were in control of the situation and made the decision themselves and are ready to live with the consequences or lack thereof.

"We decided the price was too high and walked away."

That way, if RG3 sucks, they look like genuises. But with their story, they either look like guys that can't get their shit done if RG3 is good or guys that got really lucky if RG3 sucks.

I have absolutely no problem with H&H being imperious and arrogant and telling fans "We're going to do things the way we want and we don't care how you feel about it"... as long as they're right.
Hikohadon

Unread postby pup » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:20 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
pup wrote:

I can and I do.

Most people seem like they agree with you - they are comforted somewhat by the fact that the Browns at least tried. They are further mollified by STL being evil nepotism-ers.

I'm not a fan that they're portraying themselves as victims. I would prefer that the Browns were in control of the situation and made the decision themselves and are ready to live with the consequences or lack thereof.

"We decided the price was too high and walked away."

That way, if RG3 sucks, they look like genuises. But with their story, they either look like guys that can't get their shit done if RG3 is good or guys that got really lucky if RG3 sucks.

I have absolutely no problem with H&H being imperious and arrogant and telling fans "We're going to do things the way we want and we don't care how you feel about it"... as long as they're right.

Now that is something we agree on.

I just don't think they are close enough to be right enough so far to cut them any slack. They are at this point inept as a group. When they get better at their jobs, I will be the first to say so.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:39 pm

pup wrote:I just don't think they are close enough to be right enough so far to cut them any slack. They are at this point inept as a group. When they get better at their jobs, I will be the first to say so.

Fair enough.

The way I see it is that their overall performance is like a class, and each decision is a quiz or test.

Some tests they fail. Some they don't. But no tests should be graded based upon how they did on the previous test(s). It's unfair to them and doesn't allow for the (fading) possibility that they can bring their grade up before the semester ends.

And it's certainly unfair to grade them based upon how other students did in previous years.

I had a professor once who didn't speak English very well and thought I insulted him with something I said in class (which I did not, at least not to his face). After that, it didn't matter what I did, he was killing my grade.

Don't be that no-English-speaking bastage. ;-) ;) :wink:
Hikohadon

Unread postby pup » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:44 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
pup wrote:I just don't think they are close enough to be right enough so far to cut them any slack. They are at this point inept as a group. When they get better at their jobs, I will be the first to say so.

Fair enough.

The way I see it is that their overall performance is like a class, and each decision is a quiz or test.

Some tests they fail. Some they don't. But no tests should be graded based upon how they did on the previous test(s). It's unfair to them and doesn't allow for the (fading) possibility that they can bring their grade up before the semester ends.

And it's certainly unfair to grade them based upon how other students did in previous years.

I had a professor once who didn't speak English very well and thought I insulted him with something I said in class (which I did not, at least not to his face). After that, it didn't matter what I did, he was killing my grade.

Isn't your grade the accumulation of all those quizzes and tests? I see no reason to have their grade calculated on only the latest, but as an overall. And that grade is real bad.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:49 pm

pup wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

Fair enough.

Isn't your grade the accumulation of all those quizzes and tests? I see no reason to have their grade calculated on only the latest, but as an overall. And that grade is real bad.

Of course their grade is the accumulation. But just because their overall grade is a D doesn't mean that I don't bother to grade their next test.
Hikohadon

Unread postby pup » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:51 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
pup wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

Fair enough.

Of course their grade is the accumulation. But just because their overall grade is a D doesn't mean that I don't bother to grade their next test.

But if that next test is another D at some point you can stop grading those tests.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:54 pm

pup wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
pup wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

Fair enough.

But if that next test is another D at some point you can stop grading those tests.

Then it's probably a good thing you're not a teacher.
Hikohadon

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:33 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
pup wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
pup wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

Fair enough.

Then it's probably a good thing you're not a teacher.

SD:

If you pay an asshole 50 million to make A's what should yuo do with his dumb ass when everything comes back D's

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:39 pm

I guess you cancel his scholarship.

Semester's not over yet. He still has time to get a passing grade if he turns in a couple excellent projects.

Not sure it's possible, but they do have a major exam coming up in April (which they've already failed the first part of, so they'd better study their asses off).
Hikohadon

Unread postby comish » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:34 am

You mean it's BAD if we evaluate a student based on the test results of previous students?

I knew something was fishy about the originl No Child Left Behind Act.

In todays educational world if struggling student continues to struggle we differentiate instruction and then maybe get them a 504 or IEP...do you think they have those for football execs? We might toss one in for the owner too while we are at it.
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
comish
Champion of Mediocrity

Unread postby jb » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:50 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:

I think Sobo likes Floyd better, too.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:52 pm

Fuck Sobo.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:54 pm

OK this peeker/Hiko avatar/sig thing is stating to piss me off.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:33 pm

FUDU wrote:OK this peeker/Hiko avatar/sig thing is stating to piss me off.

Good. Then it was 5 minutes well spent.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:33 pm

The kissable one, Thuthsy Kolber is reporting that Kolb WILL receive his signing bonus, thereby remaining a Cardinal.

jb

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:03 pm

Now if Manning were to land in San Francisco, the league exec believes that last year's starter Alex Smith will land with the Cleveland Browns, who runs a Smith-friendly West Coast offense under head coach Pat Shurmur.

Charlie Donovan: How would you like to sign Alex Smith to the Browns?
Lou Brown: Gee, I don't know...
Charlie Donovan: What do you mean, you don't know? This is your chance to have a starting QB
Lou Brown: Let me get back to you, will ya, Charlie? I got a guy on the other line asking about some white walls.

http://www.nationalfootballauthority.co ... 49ers.html
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:49 pm

Triple-S wrote:
Now if Manning were to land in San Francisco, the league exec believes that last year's starter Alex Smith will land with the Cleveland Browns, who runs a Smith-friendly West Coast offense under head coach Pat Shurmur.

Hey, Alex Smith was one fumble away from the Su- pfffffffffhahahahahahahahahahahaha
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:37 pm

Just like we all predicted, Matt Flynn signs with Seattle: http://es.pn/FPvXnW

Three years, $26million with $10m guaranteed.

'Bout the $9m per we figured. Just not there.

If I'm Alex Smith I'm going to Miami. They're about desperate and if I'm him I leverage that deal for my financial well-being and I shove my foot up the ass of the 49ers at the same time. Then I hope Manning goes to Tennessee.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby pup » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:06 pm

peeker643 wrote:Just like we all predicted, Matt Flynn signs with Seattle: http://es.pn/FPvXnW

Three years, $26million with $10m guaranteed.

'Bout the $9m per we figured. Just not there.

If I'm Alex Smith I'm going to Miami. They're about desperate and if I'm him I leverage that deal for my financial well-being and I shove my foot up the ass of the 49ers at the same time. Then I hope Manning goes to Tennessee.

To steal a phrase from back in the day..that would be titties

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:32 pm

peeker643 wrote:Just like we all predicted, Matt Flynn signs with Seattle: http://es.pn/FPvXnW

And thus beginith the Tannehill Era
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:58 pm

mattvan1 wrote:

And thus beginith the Tannehill Era

There goes the neighbrhood
SoulDawg74

Unread postby pup » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:22 am

Absolutely beside myself when I thought they might consider passing on elite QB's to wait and draft Tannehill at 37.

Now we are going to take him at 4?

Is that when we are allowed to panic?

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:38 am

pup wrote:Absolutely beside myself when I thought they might consider passing on elite QB's to wait and draft Tannehill at 37.

If you can muster up enough energy, have at it.

I fully expect the worst to happen at all times, so when it does, meh.

So I'll shrug and start seeing who my adopt-a-team might be looking at. Think I'm going to choose one early this year. My last 4 were Cards, Saints, Pack, & Lions, so at least my adopted children have been succeeding (granted, I usually pick them 4 or 5 weeks into the season).

I've got my eye on Seattle, but the Flynn signing has me wary. Maybe the Bears too.
Hikohadon

Unread postby jb » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:55 pm

pup wrote:Absolutely beside myself when I thought they might consider passing on elite QB's to wait and draft Tannehill at 37.

We are now allowed to panic.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:50 pm

jb wrote:

We are now allowed to panic.

They can't like that guy that much, can they? I mean, I'd take Weeden at 37 or Cousins later than that if a gun is to my head before I'd take Tannehill at #4.

Dear God.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:52 pm

Where would you take Tannehill? Top 10? 20?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:57 pm

motherscratcher wrote:Where would you take Tannehill? Top 10? 20?

Want nothing ot do with him at all. I wouldn't take him, period.

I'd honestly rather have Weeden. I don't give a shit if Weeden and I graduated high school the same year.

Tannehill at #4 is pure panic. If you you loved him so much at #4 you'd have NEVER offered three #1's to move up for someone else.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:15 pm

I wouldn't take him at all. I think H&H will play the waiting game and see how far he falls - then maybe grab him at the #21. Not sure he gets by Miami or KC, though.

It makes no sense to take him at #4.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:33 pm

peeker643 wrote:

Want nothing ot do with him at all. I wouldn't take him, period.

I'd honestly rather have Weeden. I don't give a shit if Weeden and I graduated high school the same year.

Tannehill at #4 is pure panic. If you you loved him so much at #4 you'd have NEVER offered three #1's to move up for someone else.

Per usual, I agree.

I wouldn't not take him, but I wouldn't take him before Weeden, and I wouldn't take him before 37.

And the bolded part is dead right. If you think a QB is good enough to be taken at #4 overall, then you don't need to sacrifice 3 1's to move up 2 spots. So if you don't have him valued as a #4 overall guy, then you don't take him there just to take a QB.
Hikohadon

Unread postby jta1975 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:28 pm

Damn we got QBitis in this town! Tannehill at 4? If that's the plan they might as well cut McCoy and go with Thad Lewis.
jta1975

Favorite Player: Red Face
Least Favorite Player: Clean Pants

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:34 pm

Look.

Your offense is in shambles.

on the defensive side, I'm iffy on taking another corner. I mean, I can validate taking a defensive player if he's in the mold of a Urlacher, R. Lewis, Mario Williams, Suh, Polamalu, Peppers. He's got to be the ultimate game changer though, a leader, a guy that would make an all-pro team. That's your justification for going defense with the 4th or possibly 6th after we've traded down pick. I'm not so sure if just adding him, would do that.

QB? You fucked that up. so, unless you're thinking of adding Orton or Campbell (Who'd I'd be for, because at least they'd be competent), You're stuck with a guy under center who's not going to succeed unless you start to give him at least someone to help him on offense. A right tackle is definitely needed, but Minnesota has Kalil all but locked up at that spot, and I don't think the fans will be too pleased with such a pick.

So, to me? Down to just a two horse race between Richardson and Blackmon.

Triple-S

Unread postby pod2dawg » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:26 pm

Tanney has crept up the board and will go in the top 10.

:hide:
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:04 pm

In a vaccumm, cause I don't want to open up a can of worms claiming I know what the Browns did or didn't offer in the RG3 negotiations but....

What's a bigger gamble, or should I say what's the lousier gamble - giving up what the Skins gave up for RG3 or drafting Ryan Tannehill 4th overall. Christ, it's not even close.

And Ryan Tanneyhill, wherever drafted - and no matter what you project for him, clearly needs to go to a team that can afford to sit him for a couple years, cause one of the chief reasons that cat couldn't get it done against good collegiate teams was cause he wasn't ready. Anyone who thinks he's close to ready for the NFL was watching different games than I.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby pup » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:48 pm

4 years. $14M for Mike Bush.

God do we suck.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan