Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Brandon Weeden FTW

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Brandon Weeden FTW

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:45 am

Here's the look at Weeden JTA and I promised, for whatever it's worth, good and bad:

http://bit.ly/xHu24M
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Brandon Weeden FTW

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:55 am

peeker643 wrote:Here's the look at Weeden JTA and I promised, for whatever it's worth, good and bad:

http://bit.ly/xHu24M

SD:

The good he's 137 and still alive .

The Bad he's 137 and we're dumb enough to want that mummy.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:40 am

My big problem with Weeden is how he handles the pocket. Which, by the way, is Kevin Kolb's big issue.

Look, the only way you can stop these guys in today's NFL is pressure, and if you don't have enough shiftiness to handle various blitz' and get yourself in the right position, you've got big problems. And this isn't even counting if one is going to be "harried" into throwing off time, or innaccurately.

Now, granted, didn't see him a ton of times under pressure, after all, he was in that flag football conference, but when he was pressured, he wasn't good - and it also concerns me he went the bulk of his starts being able to stand there like a statue.

Rathet have Tanneyhill in today's game - not that I'd be thrilled.

The guy I'm kinda intrigued by, but can't quite figure this past year out, is Ryan Lindley. At the end of last season I was real interested.

Oh well, at least they don't have to F around with projects and longshots at the only GD position on the field that matters.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:47 am

leadpipe wrote:My big problem with Weeden is how he handles the pocket. Which, by the way, is Kevin Kolb's big issue.

Look, the only way you can stop these guys in today's NFL is pressure, and if you don't have enough shiftiness to handle various blitz' and get yourself in the right position, you've got big problems. And this isn't even counting if one is going to be "harried" into throwing off time, or innaccurately.

Now, granted, didn't see him a ton of times under pressure, after all, he was in that flag football conference, but when he was pressured, he wasn't good - and it also concerns me he went the bulk of his starts being able to stand there like a statue.

Rathet have Tanneyhill in today's game - not that I'd be thrilled.

The guy I'm kinda intrigued by, but can't quite figure this past year out, is Ryan Lindley. At the end of last season I was real interested.

Oh well, at least they don't have to F around with projects and longshots at the only GD position on the field that matters.

SD:

I want Lindley with our Fourth and Rusel wilson with the other fourth .

Kid thru for 3500 yrads his senior year in Highschoo and the same total as a JR in College , 2011 he disapeared so i don't know if it was injury persoanl problems or both , but after the weekend disaster i'm going back to the stream who spawned Brian sipe and a QB who won't take three years to learn how to play from under center .

Btw anybody looking at Weeded as anything more than a fourth round Throw away pick has rocks in their socks .

Rocks

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:40 am

leadpipe wrote:The guy I'm kinda intrigued by, but can't quite figure this past year out, is Ryan Lindley. At the end of last season I was real interested.

Some instant Lindley analysis:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/rya ... id=2532894

6'4" 230lbs with huge arm and less than stellar decision making.

That's the nutshell.

Wonder how mentally competent the kid is or whether he's bright but inclined to believe he can throw through any situation.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:11 pm

peeker643 wrote:
leadpipe wrote:The guy I'm kinda intrigued by, but can't quite figure this past year out, is Ryan Lindley. At the end of last season I was real interested.

That's the nutshell.

Wonder how mentally competent the kid is or whether he's bright but inclined to believe he can throw through any situation.

SD:

yep thats him a ryan leaf talent in the fourth sans the silver spoon upbringing and attitude , damn but where is our SDSU alum report when you need it.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:18 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

That's the nutshell.

SD:

yep thats him a ryan leaf talent in the fourth sans the silver spoon upbringing and attitude , damn but where is our SDSU alum report when you need it.

SoulDawg

Guy looks like a mix between Jake Locker and DA IMO. Never hit 58% in school. They tend to scare me.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:23 pm

peeker643 wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

That's the nutshell.

SD:

SoulDawg

Guy looks like a mix between Jake Locker and DA IMO. Never hit 58% in school. They tend to scare me.

SD:

Scairt money never bets , you take him with atlantas fourth and it costs you nothing grandma.

Sheeeesh , we got a calf humper who can't throw a rock thru a window pain and your scared you might sign Ryan Leaf with a throw away pick .

Cmon man ......

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:31 pm

Just b/c you grabbed an extra pick at some point in the past doesn't mean it is a throw away pick the day you decide to use it, regardless of who you use it on. That's just a plain stupid way of thinking.

It is our pick now, so it would be stupid of us to not use it the best way possible.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:38 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

That's the nutshell.

SD:

SoulDawg

SD:

Scairt money never bets , you take him with atlantas fourth and it costs you nothing grandma.

Sheeeesh , we got a calf humper who can't throw a rock thru a window pain and your scared you might sign Ryan Leaf with a throw away pick .

Cmon man ......

SoulDawg

No problem spending ATLs pick or one of my own higher ones on a hand I like. I'm saying DA Part II ain't my hand. And there will be another one dealt after this one. I have no problem with a 29 yr old QB. Ain't never been a great NFL QB who wasn't 29 at some point :nanner:

I got a big stack even after losing that last pot SD. I ain't tilting and throwing a big chunk of it on 10-6 offsuit when I know at some point I gotta show it down.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:54 pm

peeker643 wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

That's the nutshell.

SD:

SoulDawg

SD:

Cmon man ......

SoulDawg

No problem spending ATLs pick or one of my own higher ones on a hand I like. I'm saying DA Part II ain't my hand. And there will be another one dealt after this one. I have no problem with a 29 yr old QB. Ain't never been a great NFL QB who wasn't 29 at some point :nanner:

I got a big stack even after losing that last pot SD. I ain't tilting and throwing a big chunk of it on 10-6 offsuit when I know at some point I gotta show it down.

SD:

Dude sitting with a thousand nickels at the penny anty table don't buy youa spectators seat when the table stakes are $10,000.00

The only game you got going is a circle jerk , because you got no Qb and can't get in the damn game .

Weeded Tanneyhill foles osweiler .

Call me in about two years when they learn how to put their hands under center instead of the butt of their guard .

A fourth is value for this for whats left of this QB draft , and Lindley at least playedunder center and has more talent than the rest .

Sign Flynn and sign your rookie in the fourth , don't be a sucker .

The first round is for starters none of these bums which are left meet that qualification.

We missed , it can't be made up this year the rest are all projects , spend project resources where all gains are positives and you can't lose because you've allready been raped by Snyder so it ain't like they're gonna get ur cherry.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:00 pm

FUDU wrote:Just b/c you grabbed an extra pick at some point in the past doesn't mean it is a throw away pick the day you decide to use it, regardless of who you use it on. That's just a plain stupid way of thinking.

It is our pick now, so it would be stupid of us to not use it the best way possible.

SD:

Shut up doo doo when I want an opinion out of you I'll give you one.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby noles1 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:14 pm

peeker643 wrote:

That's the nutshell.

So he's basically a poor man's Ryan Mallet.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby jb » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:36 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:
SD:

Dude sitting with a thousand nickels at the penny anty table don't buy youa spectators seat when the table stakes are $10,000.00

The only game you got going is a circle jerk , because you got no Qb and can't get in the damn game .

Call me in about two years when they learn how to put their hands under center instead of the butt of their guard .

A fourth is value for this for whats left of this QB draft , and Lindley at least playedunder center and has more talent than the rest .

The first round is for starters none of these bums which are left meet that qualification.

We missed , it can't be made up this year the rest are all projects , spend project resources where all gains are positives and you can't lose because you've allready been raped by Snyder so it ain't like they're gonna get ur cherry.

SoulDawg

I read this, actually understood it, and maybe even tend to agree.

FWIW - I differentiate between Weeden & Tannyhill.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:54 pm

jb wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:
SD:

SoulDawg

I read this, actually understood it, and maybe even tend to agree.

FWIW - I differentiate between Weeden & Tannyhill.

SD:

Whats the difference one is old and has some talent one is young and has some talent .

Neither is a franchise pick , neither can come in here tommorrow and start like an Andy Dalton .

Don't waste the jack , sign Flynn bring in some competence to implement this system
build the defense OL wideouts and add a RB and use the fourth to bring in QB projects like a Wilson and a lindley both at the same time .and poke along until you get Lucky and trip over a signal caller , because these guys couldn't pick a QB if was a big oozing pimple growing off the back of their ass.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:00 pm

Andy Dalton? The guy picked in the first five picks of the 2nd round of the 2011 draft who's smaller than Weeden and who's 25 this season?

You can complain about Rg3 being out of the picture. But dismissing someone like Weeden and referencing Dalton doesn't make much sense.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:03 pm

If you could get Andy Dalton at 37 this season would you take that? Because if that's the bar I don't think it's unreachable.

I think Weeden could come in here next year and start. We're talking here.... Where Colt McCoy lives.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:05 pm

Lindley had zero to work with at WR this year. He lost 153 receptions and 2700 yards to graduation/leaving early after his junior year. Nobody could create separation and they were trotting out two freshman on most downs. Four-year starter. His completion percentages leave something to be desired, but I would have no problem with him as a late-round flier. They're all blind luck at that point anyway.

As for Weeden, I don't hate it. Big kid, strong arm, probably pretty mature. Escapability, as Pipe said, is a question mark.

Tyler Wilson's another big arm kid with mobility questions.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:15 pm

If you get him his College team mate at no. 4, you don't have to worry as much about him developing chemistry with other wide-recievers.

I need to have Blackmon there though for me to say "There's the guy". He intrigues with that draft combo though.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:15 pm

peeker643 wrote:If you could get Andy Dalton at 37 this season would you take that? Because if that's the bar I don't think it's unreachable.

I think Weeden could come in here next year and start. We're talking here.... Where Colt McCoy lives.

Andy Dalton's utility is almost directly tied to a top five in the league WR talent. That isn't happening this year for the Browns.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:20 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:If you could get Andy Dalton at 37 this season would you take that? Because if that's the bar I don't think it's unreachable.

Andy Dalton's utility is almost directly tied to a top five in the league WR talent. That isn't happening this year for the Browns.

Fair enough. But then we shouldn't be pining for such a 2nd round jewel as Dalton. Because I don't think, as I said before, the Dalton bar is all that high myself.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:25 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Lindley had zero to work with at WR this year. He lost 153 receptions and 2700 yards to graduation/leaving early after his junior year. Nobody could create separation and they were trotting out two freshman on most downs. Four-year starter. His completion percentages leave something to be desired, but I would have no problem with him as a late-round flier. They're all blind luck at that point anyway.

As for Weeden, I don't hate it. Big kid, strong arm, probably pretty mature. Escapability, as Pipe said, is a question mark.

Tyler Wilson's another big arm kid with mobility questions.

SD:

Perfect guy to get a fresh start as apro .

Fourth year senior whose played with and thru some adversity with size and an arm .

I now use a third on him if he can walk and chew bubble gum and talk at the same time.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby pup » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:35 pm

If the goal is Andy Dalton

Kick me in the uncles right now and keep on kicking until the goal is raised or I die.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:43 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:SD:

Perfect guy to get a fresh start as apro .

Fourth year senior whose played with and thru some adversity with size and an arm .

I now use a third on him if he can walk and chew bubble gum and talk at the same time.

SoulDawg

Also had to learn three different offenses while at SDSU. Redshirt freshman year under Chuck Long, then two years with Brady Hoke, then his senior year with Rocky Long.

Ran a 4.9 forty, neither great nor awful.

Again, a guy worth a look but doesn't really have elite NFL potential.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby jb » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:45 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:

And when did adequate Ginger Kid QB become the measure of Jack Squat? With AJ and Ced an that OL he gets them to 9 wins, but really? WTF does that mean to the Chinese?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:48 pm

I'm not a real fan of Weeden from my limited time watching him. I dont care about his age though thats for sure.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:15 pm

jb wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:

And when did adequate Ginger Kid QB become the measure of Jack Squat? With AJ and Ced an that OL he gets them to 9 wins, but really? WTF does that mean to the Chinese?

That's my point. I don't think an Andy Dalton is special at all. Better than McCoy? Okay. But closer to Colt than elite. I think you can find Andy Dalton if you're looking for him.

Bengals are the poster child for adequate QB and elite WR and help around the QB. No danger of Dalton or them getting to elite though, IMO. And yeah, I think Weeden could be Dalton in same situation.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:42 pm

I think Weeden could easily be better than Dalton. Which isn't necessarily a glowing review.

But at the least, he could BE Dalton. I don't think we even have that on the roster as it currently stands.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Thu May 03, 2012 2:58 pm

I wanted to post an article about Weeden, but with the 150 threads devoted to the draft this was somehow the only one that was focused strictly on Weeden.

This is just about the most in depth piece on Weeden I've come across. Very long, but if you can make it through it all you will know the new QB of the Browns a lot better than you did this morning. Worth a read IMO.
http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/ ... ran_1.html
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby JCoz » Thu May 03, 2012 4:09 pm

Nice article if long winded....
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby googleeph2 » Fri May 04, 2012 7:55 pm

I'll read the article later, but Dalton's Bengals started out like 6-2 on the strength of a favorable schedule- was aided by some breaks and great field position from a nice return game.

They finished 3-6 including their playoff game. Dalton is not fearful, and can move the ball some with his weapons, but he isn't proven to be anything yet. I am not disagreeing with anyone here necessarily, but he gets more respect that he's earned, imo.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri May 04, 2012 8:07 pm

googleeph2 wrote:I'll read the article later, but Dalton's Bengals started out like 6-2 on the strength of a favorable schedule- was aided by some breaks and great field position from a nice return game.

They finished 3-6 including their playoff game. Dalton is not fearful, and can move the ball some with his weapons, but he isn't proven to be anything yet. I am not disagreeing with anyone here necessarily, but he gets more respect that he's earned, imo.

And it doesn't hurt to have a guy like AJ Green who can go up and bail you out (like he did against Browns). That's obviously one of the weapons you referred to but that's one elite weapon.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sat May 05, 2012 12:39 pm

Fantastic article on Weeden. It really addresses concerns about his mobility and ability to throw under pressure. The fact that he was sacked on only 1 of every 55 throws due to his ability to recognize blitzes, get his team into the right protection scheme, and find the hot receiver is amazing. RG3 was sacked on 1 of every 15 pass attempts, by the way.

His very quick learning curve, good footwork in the pocket, and pure throwing ability also bodes well for success in the pros. Also his ability to stay cool after throwing picks and figuring out how to beat the defense.

I can see why the Browns took him at 22 rather than taking a chance on missing out.

My question is - if Plan A was to take Kendall Wright at 22 and Weeden at 37, why didn't they just take somebody else, like Reiff, at 22 and Weeden at 37 as planned?

Speculation is they would have traded up from 37 for Weeden, so why didn't they do that? My guess is they didn't see much difference between the guy they would get at 22 (Reiff?) and the guy they got at 37 (Schwartz), so why gamble on losing your next starting QB?

By the way, this column projects Weeden to have about nine productive seasons as a pro based on comparable QBs.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat May 05, 2012 5:22 pm

Prosecutor wrote:Fantastic article on Weeden. It really addresses concerns about his mobility and ability to throw under pressure. The fact that he was sacked on only 1 of every 55 throws due to his ability to recognize blitzes, get his team into the right protection scheme, and find the hot receiver is amazing. RG3 was sacked on 1 of every 15 pass attempts, by the way.

His very quick learning curve, good footwork in the pocket, and pure throwing ability also bodes well for success in the pros. Also his ability to stay cool after throwing picks and figuring out how to beat the defense.

I can see why the Browns took him at 22 rather than taking a chance on missing out.

My question is - if Plan A was to take Kendall Wright at 22 and Weeden at 37, why didn't they just take somebody else, like Reiff, at 22 and Weeden at 37 as planned?

Speculation is they would have traded up from 37 for Weeden, so why didn't they do that? My guess is they didn't see much difference between the guy they would get at 22 (Reiff?) and the guy they got at 37 (Schwartz), so why gamble on losing your next starting QB?

By the way, this column projects Weeden to have about nine productive seasons as a pro based on comparable QBs.

Awesome.

9 years of that special kind of play is great. Just made reservations for August 2026 in Canton to watch the induction.

Hard to imagine a writer/blogger missing on something like this.

;-) ;) :wink:

I'm glad someone other than Chubby likes the guy, I really am. I like him too and the further away we get from draft day the less I'll be considering that they reached like Stretch Armstrong.

If he can play it won't matter.

Hope it's okay that I'm thinking the Ravens and Steelers will tell us more about what kind of QB he is than the writer. :thumb up:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sat May 05, 2012 7:01 pm

It's hard to argue that he doesn't have the potential. Size, arm strength, accuracy, decision-making, maturity, leadership... he's got that all.

Whether he can run pro-style offenses and decipher pro-style defenses is the major question, one that cannot be answered until he takes the field.
Hikohadon

Unread postby justmebd » Sat May 05, 2012 8:05 pm

While everyone argues over whether Weeden actually can be a franchise QB, you all are missing the larger picture.

1. Randy Lerner remains the team's owner.
2. Pat Shurmur remains the team's head coach.

As Long as (1) + (2) remain in effect, the ability for the Browns to collectively take a shit on the field stands at 100%.

I just do not see this team succeeding until there is a competent ownership keeping everyone on the same page, a task Holmgren promised to accomplish that I not only believe he has failed in, but has failed because of his own doing. (See Ego+Brad McCoy's unfortunate comments as an example*)

*Not meant to be a defense of Colt McCoy, it's an assault on Holmgren's assholishness.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sat May 05, 2012 9:20 pm

justmebd wrote:While everyone argues over whether Weeden actually can be a franchise QB, you all are missing the larger picture.

1. Randy Lerner remains the team's owner.
2. Pat Shurmur remains the team's head coach.

As Long as (1) + (2) remain in effect, the ability for the Browns to collectively take a shit on the field stands at 100%.

I just do not see this team succeeding until there is a competent ownership keeping everyone on the same page, a task Holmgren promised to accomplish that I not only believe he has failed in, but has failed because of his own doing. (See Ego+Brad McCoy's unfortunate comments as an example*)

*Not meant to be a defense of Colt McCoy, it's an assault on Holmgren's assholishness.

This may or may not be true, but is kind of like saying there will be no peace until terrorism is eradicated or there will be no governmental headway until the two-party system is eliminated - whether or not it's true, it's a fact of life that we ourselves cannot change.

PS - I do believe that if Tom Brady were on a Lerner-owned, Shurmur-coached team, it'd still be pretty good.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sun May 06, 2012 6:23 am

I'm counting on the addition of a competent offensive coordinator to do the same for the Browns' offense that Dick Juaron did for their defense last year. That and putting the ball in Richardson's hands 350-400 times and having a healthy right tackle. And an off-season. They might find some occasional use for a WR with 4.36 speed, too.

Anything Weeden kicks in will be gravy.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sun May 06, 2012 9:51 am

Weeden like all things Cleveland is a day late or a dollar short. He does have the tools and mental toughness to get the job done no doubt. I love his attitude. Major chip on his shoulder.

Colt needed alot of help and got NONE. He now gets a visor & a clipboard. Not a bad gig if you can find it.

Weeden can. For how long? Like Matt says, at least now Holmgren has put himself on the clock caus his top two picks have a realistic 5 year shelf life. At least now defenses will have to respect deep seam or wide-side out.

Hell, they rolled up on us last year like a central american drug gang. It was like running an offense through a phone booth. And when a receiver actually did get separation and Colt did get the ball there ( lightening strike), we dropped it 2nd most times as anybody.

And now the turnstile is closed at RT.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby danwismar » Tue May 08, 2012 1:52 pm

all 39 Brandon Weeden to Justin Blackmon TD passes...

"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Wed May 09, 2012 12:12 am

danwismar wrote:all 39 Brandon Weeden to Justin Blackmon TD passes...

SD:

37 of them were Blackmon adjusting to the ball in the air or snatchin it away from defenders .

I like Weedens armstrength and his trust in Blackmon .

He's gonna throw some picks in the pros , we'll just have to live with.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby ole uncle charle » Wed May 09, 2012 10:47 am

If i hear pistols firing one more time....

SD is off by a few at 37 but if Weeden was planning on a super athletic wr making plays for him.... maybe the really fast kid with tiny hands from the U is that guy!
ole uncle charle

Unread postby yogi » Wed May 09, 2012 12:30 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:

SD:

37 of them were Blackmon adjusting to the ball in the air or snatchin it away from defenders .

SoulDawg

yes he will. He'll have to develop some chemistry with Little, maybe Moore or Cameron and TR. Maybe the kid we signed as an UFA from Okla St (Weedon's #2 rec, I forgot his name) will stick. He should have some chemistry there.

Number 1 pick next year, hopefully we find our #1 WR.
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby pod2dawg » Wed May 09, 2012 2:43 pm

Man that #81 sure looks good.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed May 09, 2012 5:13 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:

SD:

SoulDawg

Grunt. I counted 3 of those 39 where the ball wasn't right where it was supposed to be.

There's no doubt that Blackmon is damn good, but Weeden throws that corner-out in the EZ like no one's business.

Of course he'll throw some picks, but he'll throw some TD's too. Colt could only do the first part.
Hikohadon

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Wed May 09, 2012 8:56 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:

SD:

SoulDawg

Grunt. I counted 3 of those 39 where the ball wasn't right where it was supposed to be.

There's no doubt that Blackmon is damn good, but Weeden throws that corner-out in the EZ like no one's business.

Of course he'll throw some picks, but he'll throw some TD's too. Colt could only do the first part.

SD74 :

Better look again this time without the Seal and brown glases .

Lots of jump bals lots of complettions where Blackmon altered his route while the all was in the air .

Lots of trust there and passes he won't be able to sneak by with the pros .

The corner fades were money , thrown before he made the brak to a spot and the jump balls were gunned in there .

If Weeden can execute the full range of this offense and get everybody into the pattern without telegraphing his moves like you know who , the WCO will barely differ from what he's been used to throwing it all over the field .

The Browns if their smart should pull their head outta their ass , and tailor the offense to his strengths like they did down Carolina way to great effect .

Weeden will never take the pounding Colt took ,he's to old and he ain't that dumb , he can get rid of the ball more importantly the Browns won't allow it , because so goes this kid so goes their careers.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Wed May 09, 2012 9:35 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:

SD:

SoulDawg

SD74 :

Lots of jump bals lots of complettions where Blackmon altered his route while the all was in the air .

The corner fades were money , thrown before he made the brak to a spot and the jump balls were gunned in there .

If Weeden can execute the full range of this offense and get everybody into the pattern without telegraphing his moves like you know who , the WCO will barely differ from what he's been used to throwing it all over the field .

The Browns if their smart should pull their head outta their ass , and tailor the offense to his strengths like they did down Carolina way to great effect .

Weeden will never take the pounding Colt took ,he's to old and he ain't that dumb , he can get rid of the ball more importantly the Browns won't allow it , because so goes this kid so goes their careers.

SoulDawg

Well, that and the fact that the offense is supposed to be predicated on those quick slants/outs....so your qb isn't supposed to be running around like a retard for 8 seconds with the ball. :hide:
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Wed May 09, 2012 9:44 pm

And seriously, who wants a montage of Weeden to Blackmon? show me a montage of him and his high school receivers, so I know what he looks like throwing to average/unathletic guys.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu May 10, 2012 12:48 am

SoulDawg74 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:

SD:

SoulDawg

SD74 :

SoulDawg

I wanted this guy before the draft. Seal and brown glasses (the same color, incidentally) changed nothing.

Trying to critique a guy with "threw it to a guy he trusted" and "threw it where NFL corners would've gotten it but college corners didn't" aren't critiques at all. If you're playing a lesser opponent and you know you can get away with shit that won't work against a better opponent, that doesn't stop you from doing it. If you know you have a guy that can do extra shit, you throw it to him even if he's covered because more often than not he makes the play.

Are the balls thrown almost dead-strike where he wanted them? Yes. Should some of those balls be thrown against NFL corners? No.

If he can't differentiate that, he'll fail, no matter how accurate he is. But if he makes good decisions AND has that accuracy/arm strength... then he could be something that Quinn/Colt/Frye/Couch never had a chance of being.
Hikohadon

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Thu May 10, 2012 11:48 am

Hikohadon wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:

SD:

SoulDawg

SD74 :

SoulDawg

I wanted this guy before the draft. Seal and brown glasses (the same color, incidentally) changed nothing.

Trying to critique a guy with "threw it to a guy he trusted" and "threw it where NFL corners would've gotten it but college corners didn't" aren't critiques at all. If you're playing a lesser opponent and you know you can get away with shit that won't work against a better opponent, that doesn't stop you from doing it. If you know you have a guy that can do extra shit, you throw it to him even if he's covered because more often than not he makes the play.

Are the balls thrown almost dead-strike where he wanted them? Yes. Should some of those balls be thrown against NFL corners? No.

If he can't differentiate that, he'll fail, no matter how accurate he is. But if he makes good decisions AND has that accuracy/arm strength... then he could be something that Quinn/Colt/Frye/Couch never had a chance of being.

SD:

When you get Down to the brass tacks on the issue our takes are damnn.
Near in lockstep with each other .

Your admission.about those passes being thrown because they knew
They could get away with it vs lesser talent was the honesty I was trying To
Get you to convey in your original reply .

He's a Brown now so there is. Of the need to pimp him over others
Like you would naturally do predraft , agree compared to the drek we
Have been sporting previously. He's like the best thing since sliced bread
Especially since he spells the end to The Texas calf humper .

I hope you were right to want him all along , we're overdue
To get this right and. I'll take it accidentally or on purpose if his presence
Causes us to win .

If his nerve stays strong. He does look like he can spin it. And
That's damn sure what we need.

SoulDawg
Last edited by SoulDawg74 on Thu May 10, 2012 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoulDawg74

Next

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL