Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Homeland

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Re: Homeland

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:19 pm

That was my amateur opinion...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:06 pm

gotribe31 wrote:I didn't care for it. Unlike 24, which was obviously overblown and insane, they try to be realistic. But there's a lot of stuff in there that just isn't realistic, so it makes me be "that guy" that sits there and points out inaccuracies. I hate being that guy, but there's some blatant errors in there that they try to play off and it pisses me off. Just didn't care for it overall.

But you were okay with 'Major League'?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:00 am

I'm still astounded people look at a show that tries to develop character and plot and think that equates to trying to be realistic.

This. Is. A. Show. On. Showtime.

Fucking eh, amazing to me. Up next: Why Trueblood was misunderstood: Vampires are real too!!!
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:04 am

Hold on guys, they didn't just morph a helicopter accross LA in 24 seconds of fake real time, WHY ARE YOU TRYING SO HARD TO BE REALISTIC HOMELAND!!!!!!
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:02 pm

gotribe31 wrote:I didn't care for it. Unlike 24, which was obviously overblown and insane, they try to be realistic. But there's a lot of stuff in there that just isn't realistic, so it makes me be "that guy" that sits there and points out inaccuracies. I hate being that guy, but there's some blatant errors in there that they try to play off and it pisses me off. Just didn't care for it overall.

You're coming from a far, far different perspective than most viewers. I imagine trauma doctors found tons of inaccuracies with ER that they couldn't get past. Yet, it was one of the most popular shows in the history of television.

Not for everyone, but it's not because it's a bad show. It has outstanding dialogue and character development. It's just that you're familiar with the business and they aren't doing it right. 99.9% of the viewing audience has no idea what is exactly accurate and what isn't.

Frankly, I don't care what they're doing accurately or not. It's an entertaining show with a great cast and a terrific premise.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby swerb » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:19 pm

Back tonight baby. Fresh off the Emmy for the show and Claire Danes, both well deserved (Mad Men still would have got my vote for best show).
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby jerryroche » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:12 pm

Love "Homeland." Love "Mad Men." They're Nos. 2 & 3, respectively, on my list of favorite current programs.

No. 1? "Justified." Screw the Emmy voters.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby swerb » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:56 pm

Great start.

Carrie is back. Brody is in deep. The wife is still hot and can't act.

Love this show. Very well done.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby dmiles » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:11 pm

They don't waste any time do they? Not much of a storyline development here before one of those "oh fuck" moments. Nicely done.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:01 pm

Can't wait to see how they work a completely f'd up Carrie back into the CIA. This rendezvous with the woman in Beirut won't be the end of it, obviously. Total ticking time bomb.

For all the love that Claire Danes and Damian Lewis get for this show, and rightfully so, Mandy Patinkin is tremendous as well.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:03 pm

The crazy eyes and laughter while evading (and disabling) her pursuer in the bazaar was worth the watch alone ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:54 am

Tremendous ending to Sunday's episode. Won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Best show on TV.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:30 pm

Fuck.

I guess I need to go get season 1 on DVD.

Never seen a single damn episode and yet all I hear is how badass this show is from everyone.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby dmiles » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:26 pm

Is it not on-Demand? (assuming you have Showtime)
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:40 pm

No I don't have Showtime. I hate giving TWC anymore of my money than necessary.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:37 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Fuck.

I guess I need to go get season 1 on DVD.

Never seen a single damn episode and yet all I hear is how badass this show is from everyone.

It's ok. It's hardly one of those shows I wait all week for. I think it's overrated.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby jerryroche » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:25 pm

gotribe31 wrote:I think it's overrated.

It's only overrated if you're not into intriguing, volatile characters and a plot that is entirely unpredictable. Yeah, we knew Carrie was getting out of the house and away from the Lebanese. But will she ever be the old, supremely confident Carrie again? What happens when she meets Brody again? When's the VP going to start having second thoughts about Brody? Is the Brody marriage going to hell in a handbasket, or will he and Jess somehow reconcile? The daughter's a cipher; who'll she side with?

Inquiring minds want to know...
jerryroche

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:13 pm

jerryroche wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:I think it's overrated.

It's only overrated if you're not into intriguing, volatile characters and a plot that is entirely unpredictable. Yeah, we knew Carrie was getting out of the house and away from the Lebanese. But will she ever be the old, supremely confident Carrie again? What happens when she meets Brody again? When's the VP going to start having second thoughts about Brody? Is the Brody marriage going to hell in a handbasket, or will he and Jess somehow reconcile? The daughter's a cipher; who'll she side with?

Inquiring minds want to know...

I guess I just don't find the plot as intriguing and unpredictable as most. I fully admit that I'm in the minority here, but I can't get into it. My chief complaint is that while it tries to be extremely realistic, using proper procedures and terminology and whatnot, it ends up making very basic mistakes in accuracy as to how that world really operates. Unlike 24, which I loved, because it was SO over the top and unrealistic that it was more like watching a James Bond film and I could just let all the insanity wash over me. That, and nothing ever actually HAPPENS in the damn show, it just builds and builds to a point where I know person X isn't going to actually take action Y (no spoilers here) because that would tie up a plotline.

I did very much enjoy the ending to this last episode, because I think it will finally jumpstart some of the long-awaited action. But I saw that coming a mile away, and predicted the "twist" halfway through the episode.

Looking at this post I fear I'm coming across as condescending and acting like I think I'm smarter than everyone (i.e., like e0), so I'm sorry if that's how it reads; not my intent. Show just isn't my cup of tea, that's all.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby swerb » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:54 pm

Bull shit Al. Conform god dammit. The wife is HOT.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:40 pm

Al, it doesn't help that you're experienced in that area and can nitpick every single detail and flaw. You can't see past those things. Which is understandable, because you want a show like that to be accurate.

The rest of us have no idea. We just take the show for what it's worth. You know how it's supposed to be.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:37 pm

swerb wrote:Bull shit Al. Conform god dammit. The wife is HOT.

Completely agree there. Travesty that we haven't seen her goodies since early in the 1st season though, right?

And yes Adam, I know that I'm at an unfair advantage (disadvantage?) with respect to that sort of thing. I'm not militantly against the show or anything. I'm fine that other people like it. I just don't get into it as much I guess.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:17 pm

gotribe31 wrote:And yes Adam, I know that I'm at an unfair advantage (disadvantage?) with respect to that sort of thing. I'm not militantly against the show or anything. I'm fine that other people like it. I just don't get into it as much I guess.

Just saying that it's completely understandable.

I pointed out every detail flaw in Miracle the first time I watched it, because I knew the story inside and out. Every time I watch it now, those things still stick out, but it's such an incredible story and so close to me as an American-born hockey player, that I get past its inaccuracies.

If you're not hooked by the show enough to see past what's inaccurate, there's just nothing you can do about it.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby mitch » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:29 am

This season is just four episodes in, and it's going places I've never seen from a series before.

Holy Shit Moment #1 - Last week Saul finds the tape, and Brody's secret is now out. Never expected that this early in the season, as something like that is ususally left hanging all season to come into play towards the end.

Holy Shit Moment #2 - So you get over HSM1, and then settle in to watch several episodes of the CIA stalking Brody to figure out what the terrorists are up to. BUZZZZ!! Guess again. Carrie melts, blowing the cover, and Brody gets hauled off with a black bag over his head.

With most series, that event would have closed out the season. Here? 8 episodes to go.

Do they try to turn Brody into a double-agent? That's my best guess right now, but after the past two weeks; anything could happen.

Homeland: Season 2 > Mad Men: Season 5? Blasphamy to some...but I'm begining to lean that way.
mitch

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Ben Toothlessburger

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:50 am

Already picked up for a third season as well.

Agree, Mitch, this is definitely not the way that the middle of a season goes. Worst part about this show is waiting an entire week to see the next episode.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:58 pm

I love the unhinged CIA guy. Epic moment when he was grilling Saul with the audio of Carrie and Brody in the background.

The daughter is annoying. The wife is hot. This show is great.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:12 pm

swerb wrote:I love the unhinged CIA guy. Epic moment when he was grilling Saul with the audio of Carrie and Brody in the background.

The daughter is annoying. The wife is hot. This show is great.

Brody snapping was excellent as well.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby swerb » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:40 pm

Yeah, the guy that plays Brody is an excellent actor. He was so good in Band of Brothers as well.

Have I mentioned how hot the wife is?

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:08 pm

swerb wrote:Have I mentioned how hot the wife is?

Personally, I don't find the wife hot at all. I'm not big into the short hair thing. She's also the weakest actor on the show and an overall unlikable character. Annoying. The way you view the daughter's character, that's how I view the wife.

Anyway, a toned down episode this week, which is good because next week's seems like it'll be another edge of your seat ride.

The other CIA guy (Quinn?) has definitely been a great add to this season. He's calculated and smart like Saul, yet has his off-the-handle moments like Carrie. Good balance.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:10 pm

Does Claire Danes get naked in this show?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:37 pm

No one watches this anymore?

Or is it more, no one posts here any more?

I stopped after Season 1 (kind of like I stopped with with Game of Thrones right before Red Wedding episode and haven't gone back) but my understanding is there was a bit of a shock in season 3 finale?

Complete re-boot now or did they do something cliche' and stupid?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jerryroche » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:54 pm

An avid fan of Homeland, I'm done. It was the biggest reason I subscribed to Showtime, and the season finale played more like a series finale.

Pretty much all of the story lines of the first three years were wrapped up. Without giving away what actually happened Sunday night, I can't imagine the fourth season being very compelling, considering how the writers left Carrie, Saul and Brody.

But it was a helluva roller-coaster ride.
jerryroche

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:45 pm

This season was painful to get through. Started so slow and then the bullshit with Brody's family, which is completely irrelevant now and I read that they're not really getting much face time in Season 4. Brody wasn't even in half of the episodes in this season.

I'm not sure where they'll go from here. But, like Dexter, I'll keep watching until the very bitter end. Dexter was terrible for about the last three seasons, so I should be braced for what Homeland brings next.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Squints » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:07 am

Got three free months of Showtime last winter and watched the first two seasons. Thought season one was as good as everyone said it was and was some of the best tv that I have seen in awhile. Thought season two was just the same up until when they killed Nazir. Then it got a little too far fetched, even for the make believe world of television.

Just got another three free months of Showtime and watched the third season. The whole Dana Brody story line made me feel like I was watching daytime tv. Not saying to ignore that story and I can see what the producers were gunning for, but it could have been better with less air time. The season got better during the second half and thought it was back on track, but the finale did seem like a series finale.

Personally, I think they killed Nazir way too early in the series and it hasn't been on the same level since. Hopefully the writers know what they are doing.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Previous

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture