Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Alex White arrested for DUI

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Alex White arrested for DUI

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:54 pm

http://m.espn.go.com/mlb/story?storyId=7644882

Whoops. Another spring training, another DUI for an Indian--or ex-Indian, in his case.

This probably doesn't help endear him to his new organization. The jury is still out on the Ubaldo trade, but at least we sold high on this guy.
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Re: Alex White arrested for DUI

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:59 pm

Yea, but Derek Lowe got a DUI while racing last year in spring training, and the Indians added him.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:31 pm

Young guys, with a life consisting just about entirely of cocking around, are gonna catch a DUI every now and then.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:46 pm

Too lazy to do the research--and I wouldn't know where to look anyway--but it seems like spring training has by far the highest incident rate for DUIs.
Adverb Harry

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:08 pm

Thought I read Pomeranz had one over the winter too.

Meh... there but for the Grace of God go I. Should probably restrict comments from those who have ever had a DUI or gotten behind the wheel when they could have gotten one.

I haven't had a DUI, but I'm still eliminated by the above rules.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby dpdad » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:56 am

Pomeranz was arrested back in October for disturbing the peace after coming out of a bar with some friends. The charges were dropped in January.
dpdad

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:47 pm

How fucking hard is it to call a cab?

There should be a 1 year suspension minimum for catching a DUI. Only the stupid and arrogant get DUIs.

If I had my way, Choo would have been deported back to Korea where he could enjoy the military life he's been avoiding. It would be good for him, teach him some discipline and smarts.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:00 pm

Dude, I got my DUI at 24. Stupid shit happens and when you are drunk you do stupid.

No reason to judge until it becomes a recurring problem. If it doesn't it is a meh.

That's why I have no police record and survived just fine, the law even allows you to walk away from your first DUI. You just gotta pay out your nose to do it.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby andrew6586 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:33 am

The reason I get so pissed off at DUIs is because you know from a young age about its danger. Everyone knows it's wrong and can kill multiple people. I'm not saying I'm perfect but come on, everyone on this board knows when they should and shouldn't be behing a wheel.

Everyone makes mistakes and everyone should be allowed to learn from them. I feel that the law shoud be simple: You get one DUI, you get yoru license suspended. You get a second one, you lose your license for life. Period. End of discussion. You didn't learn from you mistake. Just my opinion and I'm sure I'll catch some crap for it but I feel its fair.
Once a fan, always a fan.
On Twitter @apac6586
andrew6586
Church of Asdrubal

Favorite Player: Kenny Lofton
Least Favorite Player: Mark Shapiro

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:32 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Dude, I got my DUI at 24. Stupid shit happens and when you are drunk you do stupid.

Yeah, like killing someone.

There is no such thing as a 'meh' DUI.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:43 pm

I'm a teacher. I get a DUI, my teaching license is permanently revoked. No gray area at all. Kinda makes it easy to figure out who the D.D. is everytime when you're with me.
Adverb Harry

Unread postby pup » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:46 pm

Alex White could be charged with an "extreme" DUI.
White's blood-alcohol content was measured at 0.174 after his arrest Saturday night in Scottsdale. Under Arizona law, anything over 0.15 is considered extreme and carries additional consequences. The situation continues to worsen for the 23-year-old rotation hopeful.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby redneckofsc » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:55 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Dude, I got my DUI at 24. Stupid shit happens and when you are drunk you do stupid.

Yeah, like killing someone.

There is no such thing as a 'meh' DUI.

Got to agree with WiscTribeFan.

If you ever lost anyone,as a result of a DUI, then you would understand it isnt bullshit. I have no sympathy for anyone who gets a DUI.
"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice."

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Favorite Player: Wil Cordero
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby Dellucci TailGator » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:49 pm

Adverb Harry wrote:Too lazy to do the research--and I wouldn't know where to look anyway--but it seems like spring training has by far the highest incident rate for DUIs.

Not excusing the horrible lack of responsibility shown by someone with a DUI, but it's easier to hail a cab in a major U.S. city than in Goodyear or a retirement village in Florida.

I'd just hire a lackey to drive my rich ass around if I was one of these guys. Not John Lackey, though. That guy would be more sauced than me.

$40k a year, travel expenses paid and all the Diet Coke you can drink. And any leftover trim that I don't scoop up.
Dellucci TailGator

Favorite Player: Derek Lilliquist

Unread postby NH Tribe Fan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:57 pm

andrew6586 wrote:The reason I get so pissed off at DUIs is because you know from a young age about its danger. Everyone knows it's wrong and can kill multiple people.

Not trying to defend drinking and driving, but....

So do you text while driving? Talk on the phone? Read the newspaper? Eat? All have been shown to be as bad or worse than a .08-.10 driver. Texting in particular has been shown to be twice as bad on response times as a legally impaired driver, yet in some states it's legal to do that...
NH Tribe Fan

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:41 pm

NH Tribe Fan wrote:
andrew6586 wrote:The reason I get so pissed off at DUIs is because you know from a young age about its danger. Everyone knows it's wrong and can kill multiple people.

So do you text while driving? Talk on the phone? Read the newspaper? Eat? All have been shown to be as bad or worse than a .08-.10 driver. Texting in particular has been shown to be twice as bad on response times as a legally impaired driver, yet in some states it's legal to do that...

Who reads a newspaper while driving?
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:36 pm

Who reads a newspaper...at all?

:dingle:
Adverb Harry

Unread postby NH Tribe Fan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:47 pm

gotribe31 wrote:
NH Tribe Fan wrote:

You'd be surprised, if you do longer highway commutes, you will see it. Everyday I drive past people reading the paper, a book, dog on their lap, etc. Let alone the cell phone talkers.

Driving while distracted is dangerous no matter the cause, but our society only severely punishes one of those distractions. I am not advocating abandoning drinking and driving laws, just pointing out the hypocrisy.
NH Tribe Fan

Unread postby pup » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:47 pm

NH Tribe Fan wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:
NH Tribe Fan wrote:

You'd be surprised, if you do longer highway commutes, you will see it. Everyday I drive past people reading the paper, a book, dog on their lap, etc. Let alone the cell phone talkers.

Driving while distracted is dangerous no matter the cause, but our society only severely punishes one of those distractions. I am not advocating abandoning drinking and driving laws, just pointing out the hypocrisy.

Guilty of all of the above at some point.

And never have I waken up in the morning and thought to myself "christ, I texted so much last night I have no idea which way I got home".

Are those other things distractions? Certainly. Are the as distracting as driving drunk?

Not even close.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby NH Tribe Fan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:53 pm

pup wrote:
NH Tribe Fan wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:
NH Tribe Fan wrote:

And never have I waken up in the morning and thought to myself "christ, I texted so much last night I have no idea which way I got home".

Are those other things distractions? Certainly. Are the as distracting as driving drunk?

Not even close.

.08 is not blacking out man, are you serious? .08 is like 3 drinks for the average male.

From Car and Driver:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/31545004/Texting_And_Driving_Worse_Than_Drinking_and_Driving

"Rigging a car with a red light to alert drivers when to brake, the magazine tested how long it takes to hit the brake when sober, when legally drunk at .08, when reading and e-mail, and when sending a text. The results are scary. Driving 70 miles per hour on a deserted air strip Car and Driver editor Eddie Alterman was slower and slower reacting and braking when e-mailing and texting.

The results:

Unimpaired: .54 seconds to brake
Legally drunk: add 4 feet
Reading e-mail: add 36 feet
Sending a text: add 70 feet "

You can find multiple studies on this. .08 is enough to ruin a career (see Adverb Harry's post above) yet other people on the road can do more dangerous things without legal repercussion even if caught. .16 (what Alex White did) is probably far worse than the information above, but I'd say .08-.10 is too low of a threshold to qualify as a substantial risk that justifies the punishment.
Last edited by NH Tribe Fan on Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NH Tribe Fan

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:57 pm

NH is right. Texting while driving is as bad or worse from an accident standpoint. Worse yet is far, far, far more people are doing it.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby NH Tribe Fan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:00 pm

peeker643 wrote:NH is right. Texting while driving is as bad or worse from an accident standpoint. Worse yet is far, far, far more people are doing it.

That's the scary thing, so many people do it and few realize it's worse than driving while intoxicated (at the lower thresholds).
NH Tribe Fan

Unread postby pup » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:14 pm

peeker643 wrote:NH is right. Texting while driving is as bad or worse from an accident standpoint. Worse yet is far, far, far more people are doing it.

Very interesting topic, IMO.

How are those numbers calculated? If it is a total accidents caused by versus percentage than I believe it. But I would venture to guess it is hard to get real solid numbers based on percentages of people driving hammered...

And in terms of accidents. Are you more likely to rear end someone while texting, say coming up to a traffic light? I could buy that. Which is an accident and a couple grand in damages. But sideswiping a family of four? Gots to be drunkards more likely to do that.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby pup » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:17 pm

And the whole .08 thing? I know people that could score 30 on the ACT at .08. I also know some that couldn't recite the alphabet at .08. So let's not act like .08 is some magic number decided upon to screw those poor cats that just can't get by keeping it under a beer per hour before jumping behind the wheel.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:54 pm

pup wrote:And the whole .08 thing? I know people that could score 30 on the ACT at .08. I also know some that couldn't recite the alphabet at .08. So let's not act like .08 is some magic number decided upon to screw those poor cats that just can't get by keeping it under a beer per hour before jumping behind the wheel.

That's true. The alcohol thing is subjective.

As to texting, it's not solely the minor accidents and damage to vehicles. And it's not just kids. It's a serious issue and it's killing a ridiculous number of people.

Think of RT84, 2 lane road, 50mph. Someone texting veers just left of center and that's like a car hitting a brick wall at 100mph IF both cars are doing the speed limit. It happens all the freaking time these days.

Everyone tests for alcohol, drugs if they feel there's reason to do so or if the accident is fatal.

EVERYONE is pulling cell record on any serious injury loss anymore before the alcohol tests are even ordered. IMO cell phones are killing more people in the roads than alcohol is.

Combine them and it's death on wheels. Even if you're combining the guy who can score the 1400 on the SATs .08 deep.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:01 pm

Also, texting and driving is a temporary condition...as in, send the text and be distracted for the 10 seconds it takes to text. Driving drunk is for the whole ride, unless you're driving cross-country and sober up by the end of the ride.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:18 pm

gotribe31 wrote:Also, texting and driving is a temporary condition...as in, send the text and be distracted for the 10 seconds it takes to text. Driving drunk is for the whole ride, unless you're driving cross-country and sober up by the end of the ride.

You ever check out the sheer number of texts from kids (and adults more and more)?

It's not just one text. It's not just texts. Kids checking email, Facebook, twitter, sending tweets, emails and texts.

It's absolutely horrifying to think about what percentage of them are sent while driving.

It's staggering. Couple that with the fact technology and texting far more prevalent in young kids and young adults who already lack experience and believe they're immortal and you seriously have a potential epidemic with this. People bitch about guns? More fucking people will die because of phones in the next two months than will dies from gun shots all year.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:21 am

peeker643 wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:Also, texting and driving is a temporary condition...as in, send the text and be distracted for the 10 seconds it takes to text. Driving drunk is for the whole ride, unless you're driving cross-country and sober up by the end of the ride.

You ever check out the sheer number of texts from kids (and adults more and more)?

It's not just one text. It's not just texts. Kids checking email, Facebook, twitter, sending tweets, emails and texts.

It's absolutely horrifying to think about what percentage of them are sent while driving.

It's staggering. Couple that with the fact technology and texting far more prevalent in young kids and young adults who already lack experience and believe they're immortal and you seriously have a potential epidemic with this. People bitch about guns? More fucking people will die because of phones in the next two months than will dies from gun shots all year.

I don't pretend to know specific numbers or figures, and I agree. Just saying that driving drunk is still worse because it is a constant state of inebriation. Totally agree though, both are bad.

President Obama sent out an e-mail last year banning federal employees from texting or using mobile devices while driving. Ironically, I read the message on my blackberry while driving down the GW parkway. I'm as guilty of this as anyone, and there have been a couple times where I've been sending an e-mail in the car and caught myself just in time to hit the brakes when a car in front of me unexpectedly stopped.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby pup » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:34 am

peeker643 wrote:

This gets to the point about the numbers I asked about ^^^^^^. In sheer volume, yes texting is a huge problem because of the number of people doing it.

But in comparing if someone is better off sending X number of texts on their ride home to being legally drunk...the only way the texting is more impairing is if you are constantly in texting mode.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:08 am

Not gonna speak for Peeker, but he's seeing the numbers every day.

I think it's interesting that his company has an IMMEDIATE TERMINATION policy just for being on the phone in a moving vehicle.

Why would a huge national insurance company have an immediate termination policy for that? Cause they're seeing the numbers every day - they're seeing what's causing accidents every day.

Can't imagine how worse the numbers are for texters.

Not here to make a case for drunken driving, just saying that there is a FAR greater chance that you or your loved ones will be killed by a texter rather than a drunk.

Never understood why, where in the largest opportunity position you are in to shorten your life, people don't take it seriously. If you text while driving, you should never say a bad word about drunk, cause you're at least just as dangerous.

Take driving seriously. Really.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby pod2dawg » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:37 am

pup wrote:

Nor ever woke up after a night of texting and considered chewing my arm off to avoid waking up the wench lying next to me. ::doh::
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:41 pm

leadpipe wrote:Not gonna speak for Peeker, but he's seeing the numbers every day.

I think it's interesting that his company has an IMMEDIATE TERMINATION policy just for being on the phone in a moving vehicle.

Why would a huge national insurance company have an immediate termination policy for that? Cause they're seeing the numbers every day - they're seeing what's causing accidents every day.

Can't imagine how worse the numbers are for texters.

Not here to make a case for drunken driving, just saying that there is a FAR greater chance that you or your loved ones will be killed by a texter rather than a drunk.

Never understood why, where in the largest opportunity position you are in to shorten your life, people don't take it seriously. If you text while driving, you should never say a bad word about drunk, cause you're at least just as dangerous.

Take driving seriously. Really.

Are you insinuating that Peeker is a competent employee who knows what he's doing at work? Cause I'm not prepared to accept that.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:25 pm

peeker643 wrote:

The stretch of highway I take to get into work is 4 lanes (each way) typically entertains speeds of 80mph+ with really heavy truck traffic. I've seen folks reading, texting, reaching around to find something, reaching back to handle something with their kids in car seats, and several times women putting on their makeup (using their rear-view mirror), including eye liner or mascara.

Nothing shocks me when it comes to people behind the wheel.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby redneckofsc » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:02 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

The stretch of highway I take to get into work is 4 lanes (each way) typically entertains speeds of 80mph+ with really heavy truck traffic. I've seen folks reading, texting, reaching around to find something, reaching back to handle something with their kids in car seats, and several times women putting on their makeup (using their rear-view mirror), including eye liner or mascara.

Nothing shocks me when it comes to people behind the wheel.

A couple of years ago, in the town where I live, a lady was in a minivan with her two kids, both under 5. Long story short, she was screwing around and not paying attention, rear ended a garbage truck. Both kids died, one instantly, the other took a few minutes. She got f-ed pretty back. Some how a guy on a motorccyle flipped, and had his foot ripped off.

In the end, the garbage truck driver gets charged.

Point is, yes shit like textin, putting on makeup, etc can be distracting, but it can't be enforced.
"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice."

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:16 pm

Enforcement isn't the issue with me. It's not doing those things thatend in DUI or distracted driving. And I ain't preaching. I've done both w/o misfortune thus far but I've done them when I'm old and smart enough to know better and when I see the ugliness it causes first hand on hundreds of occasions.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby andrew6586 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:47 pm

Adverb Harry wrote:I'm a teacher. I get a DUI, my teaching license is permanently revoked. No gray area at all. Kinda makes it easy to figure out who the D.D. is everytime when you're with me.

Same here. No excuse for anyone to ever get a DUI. especially for someone who is a millionaire and could afford a driver.
Once a fan, always a fan.
On Twitter @apac6586
andrew6586
Church of Asdrubal

Favorite Player: Kenny Lofton
Least Favorite Player: Mark Shapiro

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:09 pm

redneckofsc wrote:
Point is, yes shit like textin, putting on makeup, etc can be distracting, but it can't be enforced.

It can be if the driver is driving erratically, ie...weaving, crosses lane lines without signalling. You just need to find somebody stupid enough to be doing any of those distracting things with a cop behind them...
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby NH Tribe Fan » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:54 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:
redneckofsc wrote:

It can be if the driver is driving erratically, ie...weaving, crosses lane lines without signalling. You just need to find somebody stupid enough to be doing any of those distracting things with a cop behind them...

So someone is driving erratic because they are texting..what's the punishment? A $75 ticket? vs. a .08 BAC (let's say they are driving with a broken taillight but following the speed limit, not being erratic) who gets thrown in jail, loses his license for a 6 months and has thousands of dollars in fines.

We need a "Mothers Against Texting" to really see comparable punishment.
NH Tribe Fan

Unread postby redneckofsc » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:03 pm

If you fine people for texting, where do you draw the line? Changing the radio station, keying in the GPS, putting on make up, eating, scratching their balls? I realize texting is dangerous, but how can you distinguish it from other things.

redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:21 pm

where do you draw the line?

Where it causes a person to be a danger behind the wheel. I don't care if someone is eating a banana and swerving, they should pulled over.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:10 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
where do you draw the line?

Where it causes a person to be a danger behind the wheel. I don't care if someone is eating a banana and swerving, they should pulled over.

I bet you've crammed enough banana by now that you can do it without swerving.

And by banana I.... ahh... never mind.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:23 pm

In some areas in which they have banned texting they are finding higher accident rates because drivers are not only texting, but hiding the device while doing it, causing further distraction from the road.

Hard to legislate the dumbass out of a dumbass.

Again, if you're going to leave this world early, good chance it's from a car accident. Paying attention while driving is about the most important thing you do every day. If people don't understand this than what are you gonna do.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby ChoccoIndians » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:09 am

Adverb Harry wrote:Too lazy to do the research--and I wouldn't know where to look anyway--but it seems like spring training has by far the highest incident rate for DUIs.

I guess when half the players leave half way through a game, they have a little more time to themselves. During the season they are either on a bus, plane or the field.
Detroit, we are coming for the central division in 2014!!!
ChoccoIndians

Favorite Player: T Jack Bauer
Least Favorite Player: A-Rod

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:57 am

ChoccoIndians wrote:

I guess when half the players leave half way through a game, they have a little more time to themselves. During the season they are either on a bus, plane or the field.

Choo managed to squeeze one in. As did many others.

Call me when four of 'em hit a boat dock at 75mph.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB