Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Shurmur to PD: Say, how does Ryan Tannehill grab you?

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Shurmur to PD: Say, how does Ryan Tannehill grab you?

Unread postby CleSportsTruth » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:43 pm

Smokescreen or laying the ground for him?

Why do I fear it's no smokescreen? :gah:
CleSportsTruth

Re: Shurmur to PD: Say, how does Ryan Tannehill grab you?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:22 pm

Probably a bit of smokescreen. It surely means nothing. I know this.

That doesn't mean I didn't just throw up in my mouth a little bit.
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby pod2dawg » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:46 pm

smokescreen
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby bookelly » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:16 pm

I've been thinking all along we are looking to trade down, not up. It fits the Heckart pattern for sure.

Sign Kolb and trade down to the mid teens and grab Tannenhill and a bounty of picks.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby swerb » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:10 pm

bookelly wrote:I've been thinking all along we are looking to trade down, not up. It fits the Heckart pattern for sure.

Sign Kolb and trade down to the mid teens and grab Tannenhill and a bounty of picks.

I'll invade Berea if that happens.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:18 pm

What an awful smoke screen. If they don't get RG3, fine, but don't use a glorified WR as your decoy.

Which is why I think it's legit.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby mattvan1 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:19 pm

Tried to warn you guys............
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby bookelly » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:49 pm

swerb wrote:
bookelly wrote:I've been thinking all along we are looking to trade down, not up. It fits the Heckart pattern for sure.

Just putting it out there so people won't be as shocked when it happens.

/ (smoke)
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:33 am

Has Shurmer shown anything in his tenure that makes you think he's smart enough to pull of a smokescreen?

He seriously likes Tannehill.... and I seriously will be done with the Browns if they take him anywhere in the first round.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby JCoz » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:39 am

CleSportsTruth wrote:Smokescreen or laying the ground for him?

Probably because not one person in berea currently has even attempted a smokescreen predraft that I can recall in the last several years.

Yet people here still keep trying to apply that general belief to what they are saying.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby HoodooMan » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:41 pm

Wow, I guess you guys must have watched a lot of Ryan Tannehill.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:52 pm

Hey Pat,

There's only two QB's in this draft worth a damn.

The rest are just meh. You may as well go out and sign Kyle Orton if you're planning on drafting Tannehill. It would allow us to pick up another actual decent player with that pick, over wasting it on a guy who's career will be over within 2 years.

Either go big or go home. Anything else is bullshit.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby CleSportsTruth » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:24 pm

JCoz wrote:
CleSportsTruth wrote:Smokescreen or laying the ground for him?

Probably because not one person in berea currently has even attempted a smokescreen predraft that I can recall in the last several years.

Yet people here still keep trying to apply that general belief to what they are saying.

This is my fear. I've seen nothing to tell me that this regime does smokescreens. At least not on this level. Esp. from Pat. I tend to think it's legit.
CleSportsTruth

Unread postby CleSportsTruth » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:27 pm

swerb wrote:

Invasion to start 4/27? :clap:
CleSportsTruth

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:20 pm

HoodooMan wrote:Wow, I guess you guys must have watched a lot of Ryan Tannehill.

So you need to have watched a bunch of Ryan Tannehill to voice an opinion on the matter? I haven't watched a lot of Tannehill. And I haven't watched a lot of RG3 for that matter. But I have read a lot about what people who have watched those guys think. And from what I've read RG3 seems WAY more like a guy I want in Orange and Brown. Not the guy who was a receiver a few years ago.

You've never expressed an opinion on anyone you haven't seen a lot of tape on? Really?
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby HoodooMan » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:48 pm

I think before I'd invade Berea, forsake the Browns, or vomit in my mouth; I'd want to have actually watched the players I'm freaking out about. At least if I didn't want to sound like a complete idiot.

So my unmatched faith in human nature leaves me no choice but to assume the people in this thread saying those things have watched a lot of Ryan Tannehill.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:54 pm

Gotcha.

Eveyone who has an opinion on Tannehill who hasn't watched a lot of his film is a complete idiot.

We can all go home now.

Sorry Rich, time to shut down the site.
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:21 pm

Does it count if you watched the tape of him as a receiver? Cause that was only from about 10 minutes ago.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby swerb » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:27 pm

HoodooMan wrote:I think before I'd invade Berea, forsake the Browns, or vomit in my mouth; I'd want to have actually watched the players I'm freaking out about. At least if I didn't want to sound like a complete idiot.

So my unmatched faith in human nature leaves me no choice but to assume the people in this thread saying those things have watched a lot of Ryan Tannehill.

Says the guy who picks his favorite college football teams by who has the cutest mascot. And manufactures his sports takes to all be contrarion so we can all know how smart he is. Guess it all depends on what your definition of an idiot is.

Hoodoo = macphisto with a spit shine.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby HoodooMan » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:49 pm

HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:17 pm

HoodooMan wrote:I think before I'd invade Berea, forsake the Browns, or vomit in my mouth; I'd want to have actually watched the players I'm freaking out about. At least if I didn't want to sound like a complete idiot.

Richardson, Claiborne, Blackmon, Decastro, Upshaw et. al >>>> Tannehill.

If those schlubs are even considering him with the 4th or 22nd pick, then everyone is correct in waiting on line for the ledge.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:33 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:Richardson, Claiborne, Blackmon, Decastro, Upshaw et. al >>>> Tannehill.

If those schlubs are even considering him with the 4th or 22nd pick, then everyone is correct in waiting on line for the ledge.

This.

times a million.

Again, if they're going to go this stupid route, might as well pay Orton or Jason Campbell out the ass, and draft Blackmon and Mike Adams at 22, and pray that you can find a way to find an elite, franchise QB in the near future. Because those two placeholders ain't leading you to a Super Bowl unless you land every lucky break to exist.

This route again, is a very stupid one. Any route that doesn't end with a press conference, and RG3 hoisting a number 1 brown and orange jersey in Berea, Ohio is a failure in my eyes.

Shurmer is not fucking qualified to coach youth football, let alone a gig in the NFL. I don't care what anyone else says about giving him time, I've seen enough. I know he'll get this year, but anything outside of bumping the offensive rating up, and finishing 8-8 won't have me thinking anything else but swerb's infamous fire button.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby CleSportsTruth » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:16 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:

Richardson, Claiborne, Blackmon, Decastro, Upshaw et. al >>>> Tannehill.

Yes. Keep in mind, I don't see Tannehill at 22, so it's either 4 or trade down. So, with that said, putting aside RGIII, what do we think Tannehill is? An improvement over McCoy or a potential franchise guy?
CleSportsTruth

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:56 pm

JCoz wrote:Probably because not one person in berea currently has even attempted a smokescreen predraft that I can recall in the last several years.

JC, This is the rarest of all occasions.....the Browns actually being in the catbird seat, as in the RGIII sweepstakes. We aren't used to that position..rather we are more familiar with missing by one ( see Green , Bengals).

The Skins would sell their Momma, but the Rams covet the #4 to try and unfreeze Sam. The rumblings about Peyton & Flynn only further enhance our position.

True the complacent Walrus & Heck really haven't been the masters of deception.....and the smoke they have been blowing may be only up our asses, BUT seriously ...they can't fuck this up......

4, 22 ....a third...a fifth ( this will prob. do it boys, take a xanax)

4, 37, ...a third....a third.....a fifth

4, 22, 37...... worst case.....BINGO...Miami nor the Skins can hang.

Even the Bad Boys of Berea felt the mojo and floated the idea we'd consider Tanny....LOL!!! No way.

Everybody chill out. The Freak from Baylor is coming to Cleveland. Either that or Lerner better get his soccer team in here for entertainment . And I'll be following Swerb into Berea if I don't see a Heisman winner in our huddle.
:spar:
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby pup » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:44 am

OK senor smartypants.

Break down Ryan Tannelhill and tell us why we should be excited about passing up the chance to get a guy that everyone loves for a guy that played in his same conference, with more talent around him and did not perform as well.

Break it down like I am Pat and use small words.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:15 pm

I would MUCH rather have RG3, but trading down and getting Tannehill doesn't make me want to freak out as much as it seems most of you would.

From the admitted limited amount I've watched the guy, he hasn't impressed me much. There's a lot of other guys I'd rather see them go for. But they might get a nice haul with a trade down, and his ceiling is the Taj Mahal compared to Colt's, so if we aren't gonna get an elite prospect like RG3 then might as well give Tanny a shot. Got nothing better to do.

Again, not an endorsement. Just willing to let him play a few downs before sticking my head in a blender.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:27 pm

Do Holmgren and Heckert actually let Shurmur in the draft room? I'm not sure if they just give him an iPad with a copy of Angry Birds and tell him to look busy when scouting.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:58 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:Do Holmgren and Heckert actually let Shurmur in the draft room? I'm not sure if they just give him an iPad with a copy of Angry Birds and tell him to look busy when scouting.

SD:

Ipads cost money , kids get crayolas

You give shurmur a pass , he's so happy not to be stuck with Colt now that Randy has forced dumbass QB guru cough cough extroirdinaire to actually draft a QB , he's as happy as a sissy at boys camp looking over all the girls..

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby trsteve1 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:27 pm

Tannehill = Colt McCoy = Kevin Kolb

If you don't get RGIII, stick it out with Colt and get talent at other positions, stink it up next year (which is inevitable NO MATTER WHAT WE DO) and hopefully we pick 1-4 again with a chance to blow our pick or trade it down.

Wash.Rinse.Repeat.
Le sigh
trsteve1

Favorite Player: Nolan Ryan
Least Favorite Player: Troy Aikman

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:58 pm

trsteve1 wrote:Tannehill = Colt McCoy = Kevin Kolb

If you don't get RGIII, stick it out with Colt and get talent at other positions, stink it up next year (which is inevitable NO MATTER WHAT WE DO) and hopefully we pick 1-4 again with a chance to blow our pick or trade it down.

Wash.Rinse.Repeat.

Not inevitable at all. With better receivers, return to health of Steinbach, a healthy Hillis or decent FA signing in the backfield, and the general development of the yoots (this was a very young team in a lot of spots) plus some better luck (goddamn Pontbriand) this team could easily win 6-7 games with Colteca Mcwallace under center, which makes getting next years Flavor du Jour even harder.

THIS is the year with the ammunition in hand to get the guy you want. If not, you're looking at free agency next year for your potential QB.....and the options there are always feh, meh, and bleh.

Doesn't mean I don't expect them to take trade down to the teens, take Tannehill, and make my head explode.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:22 pm

"Players NOT tagged include Packers QB Matt Flynn, G Carl Nicks, WRs Vincent Jackson, Marques Colston and Reggie Wayne, DE Mario Williams."

GO GET HIM PHINS.:D.

Also, Reggie Wayne would be a decent signing..

Triple-S

Unread postby trsteve1 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:06 pm

Triple-S wrote:"Players NOT tagged include Packers QB Matt Flynn [I like Flynn less than I like Matt Cassell, which is slightly more than I like Mark Sanchez, so, please, please, please don't let the Browns overpay for him!], G Carl Nicks [I like the opportunity for the Brownies to go get a solid OL option], WRs Vincent Jackson, Marques Colston and Reggie Wayne [Jackson, mebbe.. could have some attitude issues, Colston is a team player though not sure he's a stud and Wayne would have ZERO interest in Cleveland at this stage of his career UNLESS he finds himself with no suitors], DE Mario Williams. [if we have any chance at getting a Mario Williams I say go for it, but I see him being wooed by far handsomer suitors than Cleveland, sadly]"

GO GET HIM PHINS.:D.

Also, Reggie Wayne would be a decent signing..

The reality is, unless we are looking to get someone who is looking for a shot (like Flynn, who I don't like as an option for QB).. Cleveland just isn't going to woo top FAs.. I mean, when was the last time a big FA came to Cleveland that wasn't a reclamation of some kind (in any sport)? So, we MUST build through the draft and smart FA signings/acquisitions. If trading away picks for RGIII is the answer, do it. If Holgrem/Heckert don't think it is, then sit on what we got (McCoy) and build some talent around him and see what happens.
Le sigh
trsteve1

Favorite Player: Nolan Ryan
Least Favorite Player: Troy Aikman

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:09 pm

Wash.Rinse.Repeat.

I would without question rather have Tannehill or Kolb than McCoy. McCoy's ceiling is lower than a hobbit hole. The other 2 at least have a chance of being a starting caliber NFL QB (didn't say it was a big chance, but at least not completely impossible).

But I agree that if they don't go RG3 it might be best to get talent at other positions rather than spend picks on Kolb/Tannehill, cuz with Colt at least you KNOW you don't have a QB. Those other 2... you might waste another couple years "finding out".

Still, even Colt could win 6 or 7 games with an improved roster. Then we're fucked if we ever hope to draft a franchise QB... at least until we suck again.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby OldDawg » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:37 pm

Gradysmanldy wrote:THIS is the year with the ammunition in hand to get the guy you want. If not, you're looking at free agency next year for your potential QB.....and the options there are always feh, meh, and bleh.

I am torn. I think we have too many holes to sell the farm for RGIII.

However, all these draft picks from all this trading down year after year hasn't make us markedly better either.

But I am in agreement with Gradysmandly here that it might be now or never for a potential franchise QB.

I don't like our chances in free agency, because who would want to come here?
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby CleSportsTruth » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:32 pm

Gradysmanldy wrote:

Wash.Rinse.Repeat.

Not inevitable at all. With better receivers, return to health of Steinbach, a healthy Hillis or decent FA signing in the backfield, and the general development of the yoots (this was a very young team in a lot of spots) plus some better luck (goddamn Pontbriand) this team could easily win 6-7 games with Colteca Mcwallace under center, which makes getting next years Flavor du Jour even harder.

THIS is the year with the ammunition in hand to get the guy you want. If not, you're looking at free agency next year for your potential QB.....and the options there are always feh, meh, and bleh.

Doesn't mean I don't expect them to take trade down to the teens, take Tannehill, and make my head explode.

Yep. That or Kolb/Flynn. :gah:
CleSportsTruth

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:04 pm

I loved Ken Carman's dream scenario he played out where the Browns are able to keep up 4, 22, and 37..

can you imagine?

4. RG3
22. Kendall Wright
37. Mike Adams (somehow slips down).

Suddenly you have a better looking receiving corp, and blocking instantly gets better. I mean, you've got possibly this as a recieving corp?

Kendall Wright
Greg Little
Danny Amendola*
Mohamed Massaquoi

*Free Agent

It won't happen, but that would be amazingly awesome, and really get us on the way to becoming a better franchise.

Triple-S

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:29 pm

I think I'm off the Mike Adams train.

Anyone have good examples of guys with motor and tude problems to that extent that magically turned it around in the Pro's? Honest question.

Mike played much better at the end of last season than in this one, that bothers me a 1000x more than some friggin 225# reps on the bench.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby CleSportsTruth » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:22 pm

Bump. Seems important now.
CleSportsTruth

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:08 pm

JCoz wrote:I think I'm off the Mike Adams train.

Anyone have good examples of guys with motor and tude problems to that extent that magically turned it around in the Pro's? Honest question.

Mike played much better at the end of last season than in this one, that bothers me a 1000x more than some friggin 225# reps on the bench.

SD:

true size , needs to grow up has value in the third , but you might have to invest a second to get him .

You could do a lot worse.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL