Text Size

No Holds Barred

Chardon High School Shootings

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Re: Chardon High School Shootings

Unread postby gotribe31 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:10 pm

peeker643 wrote:If these events occurred before the internet and before media outlets had such a competitive internet presence, then how is that apples and apples? How you going to compare the two eras?

It's like telling me that the coverage of Pelielu and Bataan paled in comparison to the footage and attention paid to Fallujah and Baghdad. It's not comparable.

Go back as far as the internet age and find me the times when inner city schools have been shot up and ignored. Apples to apples. Because my opinion is you did a drive by and are back pedaling. And if you moderate four forums then you should understand how that perception exists based on your original entry.

I stand by what I said. I have no issue discussing this with you in an intelligent, insightful, humorous, reasonable way even from opposite sides of an argument. But I have no interest in the drive-by stuff that's done for nothing more than one's own entertainment in a thread like this.

That's my perception of it. If I'm way off base or out of line others can tell me so right here or via PM.

But I'm not taking away from what the thread was started for. It shouldn't be that difficult to understand that this issue hits a little closer to home for some people here. You want to address media inadequacies in the time and attention paid to school shootings and whether there's a racial component to it then feel free to start that thread and discuss it there.

George Bush hates inner city school shootings.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:56 pm

Link if anyone wants to read it just FWIW, or follow it further. Study is on a pretty specific angle but it does bring up a few numbers that are interesting if nothing else.

http://faculty.uml.edu/darcus/47.501/assign/arcus_02.pdf

I think school shootings might need to be defined in detail for the discussion in here, b/c since the Chardon tragedy I've been reminded of two incidents in CTown in which one kids shot (or shot at another) in a Cleveland school (past 3 years). I don't remember this but I don't watch area evening news on regular basis either.

Difference between one kid having a vendetta against another versus kid walking into school and opening fire at anyone or everyone, but both fall under the school shooting label.

Either way this story just sucks and now the talk of what could be put in place at the schools to help prevent this stuff begins, as usual. I'm not a parent so I won't kick & scream about the notion of added regulations or hoops to jump through b/c when it comes to their child's safety parents don't have the luxury of principles sometimes.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:09 pm

Also hope your son is right as rain with the proper meds and care.

It took 15 yrs but, he has accomplished the nearly impossible...

He finished MIT, went to U-Dub and got his Masters and PhD and is now a visiting math professor at SUNY Oswego

My point tho is still AWARENESS!

You go thru shit like this and football dissolves into meaningless fucking tripe...its why you can believe me when I say I really DON'T give a rats fucking ass about sports anymore

We bitch and moan as a society but, most would still rather pay more attention to sports than what ails America and mental health isn't even on anyone's list till it strikes you or yours
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby Spin » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:10 pm

I never intended to minimize the terrible thing that happened. In any way, I'd be the last to do that.

Peek, I wasn't comparing the riots on the same scale as the school shooting, just showing how beyond a certain point in time, I can find no evidence of calls I've been on. More recent ones, for sure.

And whether or not there was the Al Gore interweb has nothing to do with my topic, how much time the TV media gives to similar stories. Case in point, the frat house killing at YSU last year, and the ones Fudu remembers.

Peek and Mother, I never said the TV media IGNORED other occurrences, although I don't recall seeing the YSU story on TV.

Mother, reports say this was not a random shoot-em-up, he targeted the victims. And they blame bullying as the root cause. Which puts this in the same category as the Rayen and YSU shootings.

As an Emergency Management student, we look at this stuff. How society reacts. How the media covers incidents. And how to work with them to get the info out we need the public to have. We look at hazards and disasters in a different light I guess.

It appears to me there's a difference between incidents that happen where "they're expected" to happen, and where you'd never think. Several reasons have been brought up that could explain why. But nothing that proves my thought is wrong.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:20 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:Also hope your son is right as rain with the proper meds and care.

It took 15 yrs but, he has accomplished the nearly impossible...

He finished MIT, went to U-Dub and got his Masters and PhD and is now a visiting math professor at SUNY Oswego

My point tho is still AWARENESS!

You go thru shit like this and football dissolves into meaningless fucking tripe...its why you can believe me when I say I really DON'T give a rats fucking ass about sports anymore

We bitch and moan as a society but, most would still rather pay more attention to sports than what ails America and mental health isn't even on anyone's list till it strikes you or yours

To be fair FMB people in general don't pay as much attention to important things until said important things go wrong closer to home. IMO nobody intentionally ignores others with major health concerns (whether mental, or terminal like cancers etc), nor wishes them ill will. However we've built a world around us in which we allow for so much distraction and a world that we allow ourselves to be entrenched in the day to day chase of success (and maintaining a certain level of lifestyle that we desire or feel we need) that we simply don't recognize the opportunities or time we do have to care or make the slightest bit of difference.

That's why 9 times out of 10 the people with the most balanced sense of perspective, the people most often in touch with what is important are those who have been around a lot longer than the rest of us.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Spin » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:28 pm

We listened to the tapes of the dispatcher at work, and she was phenomenal. Never shit herself, never lost focus, she needs an award. The number of agencies she had to handle, and keep track of, and I never heard a miscommunication or a mistake. Some of that is the guys on the ground, of course, but she tied it all together.

The school also had a preplan, and had trainings for such an incident. And that really helped. You can't plan and practice enough, this isn't a read and react job anymore. W ran through a mock situation at the U and it was nuts. Communications is the key, between law enforcement and rescue, and of course dispatch. They really had their shit together, and this will be a positive case study in the future that ALL schools should follow.

I'm not a big believer in CISD, been there, thought it was bullshit. This incident shows that a strong community will be there for each other. That is so much more therapeutic. The community is there, along with the counselors and churches, for whatever works to get these kids and staff through. It is probably a best case scenario for the worst day in the community's history. I would hope mine would do the same.

My personal feelings about the tragedy itself, those school kids waiting for school to start, eating breakfast with friends,are internalized. They have to be. More people are going to dial 9-1-1.
Spin

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:10 pm

Agree with the handling from notice of shots to right now. You can see they drill on that and that's what they resort to when chaos abounds elsewhere.

Hopefully it doesn't come to pass that the school could have or should have been aware of the potential for violence or any bullying. Because up to this point they may be the standard bearer for how to handle the actual event.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Lubber » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:16 pm

Spin wrote:And whether or not there was the Al Gore interweb has nothing to do with my topic, how much time the TV media gives to similar stories. Case in point, the frat house killing at YSU last year, and the ones Fudu remembers.

Peek and Mother, I never said the TV media IGNORED other occurrences, although I don't recall seeing the YSU story on TV.

You might need to watch some more TV. Here are a few links to coverage of the shooting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ixYs5uD04U&feature=player_embedded#!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FEH3owMSjA&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zII496K-bWs&feature=relmfu
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:02 pm

Its important to note also that some of the parents of the dead children have already forgiven the kid who pulled the trigger

I can tell you that the wife of the teacher killed here in this area made it her life's work to ruin the father of the killer, take his house and destroy his business

She failed, tho his family was torn apart with divorce and other kids in the house

In the end all she succeeded in doing was ruining her own life too and the result ws her turning into a basketcase

That some of these folks in this situation have already passed that point is good for their own mental health

In the meantime, my wife teaches a class that his wife eventually took that teaches friends and family on how to cope with afflictions such as schitzophrenia, bi-polar and depression

She passed along that the prison doesn't give a rats ass about the kid. He's there to be punished, not rehabilitated
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby Spin » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:34 pm

Lubber wrote:
Spin wrote:And whether or not there was the Al Gore interweb has nothing to do with my topic, how much time the TV media gives to similar stories. Case in point, the frat house killing at YSU last year, and the ones Fudu remembers.

You might need to watch some more TV. Here are a few links to coverage of the shooting.

2:37? 1:30? 0:42?

Are you trying to make my point for me, or trying to argue?
Spin

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:48 pm

Again, apples and oranges on frat house/college stuff.

Perception is high school houses kids. They're not adults in the eyes of most people nor the law. There's a naivete and innocence associated with high school that is lost once the student matriculates to the far more adult world of college/university life.

We know that's a fine line, and I'm not going to argue about those lines, but if it helps, the youngest college student is a year or two older than the oldest victim/principle in this shooting and there were 14 yr olds in that cafeteria.

It's simply more shocking when adult crimes with fatalities occur in the presence of 14 yr olds and when the victims/perpetrators are 16 yr olds than when these kids go to college.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Lubber » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:23 pm

Spin wrote:
Lubber wrote:

2:37? 1:30? 0:42?

Are you trying to make my point for me, or trying to argue?

If you listened it said "Continuing coverage", which means there was other covergae prior to. If you would like me to send you all the footage, reply with your addy and I can have Leon send it to you.

Per Peeker's point, huge difference between high school and college kids. Almost all college folks are above 18, which legally makes them adults. I am not saying this is right or wrong, but just the perception especially by the mass media.
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:39 pm

A year ago today already.

Doesn't seem that long ago.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:15 pm

As if we were unaware that TJ Lane was a gigantic piece of shit, he proved it yet again today.

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_ ... sentencing

I really hope somebody in prison rapes and beats this kid every day for the rest of his life.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:38 pm

skatingtripods wrote:As if we were unaware that TJ Lane was a gigantic piece of shit, he proved it yet again today.

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_ ... sentencing

I really hope somebody in prison rapes and beats this kid every day for the rest of his life.

Gutless little fuck. May he live forever and suffer every, single day worse than the day before.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:56 pm

No way he should have been allowed to make a statement after revealing his KILLERT-shirt. That, just as his rights, should have been taken away.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:12 pm

This kid is going to go over great at Lucasville. They aught to let the families of the victims come visit him again after a 6 months of gen pop, I got a feeling he might be singing a different tune, at the very least that shit eating grin will be beaten off his face.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:14 pm

I heard the audio of what the kid said, and from a performance standpoint, he totally fucked up his delivery, he probably rehearsed that moment in his mind for the last year, and when it was finally time for him to deliverer his "great" dramatic line, that will stun the world, he rushes it, and comes off sounding like a pre-pubesent punk, reciting star wars lines on you-tube, its laughable to say the least. Now for the rest of his life (which will probably be in solitary 23 hrs a day) he is going to have to re-live that moment of bombing on his grand stage.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:30 am

So other than being homicidal, he's also psychopathic and narcissistic. That's a great combination.

And if he had any balls, he would have put that gun in is piehole and pulled the trigger.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Previous

Return to No Holds Barred