Text Size

The 19th Hole

Finally bought some new clubs!

Discuss the PGA Tour, local golf courses, playing tips, and have any other general golf discussions on this board.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, yogi

Finally bought some new clubs!

Unread postby furls » Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:24 pm

I finally broke down and bought some new clubs today. I had been using the same set of Rams that I was using the last time I golfed with Swerb (circa 1995). I used to gain a lot of satisfaction out of beating guys with a 1500.00 set of clubs by 10 strokes with my ancient clubs, but i figured it was time to move on. I was going to buy the newest and shiniest Callaway X-18's out on the market, but I was actually talked into a cheaper set by the salesman at Golfsmith.

I was absolutely crushing the X-18s on their indoor driving range thing and my mind was made up when he told me I could have the exact same clubs for $350.00 less. I said, "Oh really? Do tell."

The guy talked me into some X-16 Steelheads which felt exactly the same and not surprisingly, I hit them exactly the same. I parlayed some of my savings into a new driver to replace my dented old Hawkeye driver, and got the added benefit of moving from a 10.5 degree loft to a 9.0. I cannot wait to go out and tear up the course tomorrow at 6:45am. I am just hoping to get out to the range tonight to break them in a bit.

On a side note, I had posted earlier that I was not hitting my driver at all and that I had switched to a 2iron. Since then, I have worked my ass off at hitting the driver and it is now far and away the best club in my bag. On most of the local public courses I find myself playing driver wedge into most par 4's and driver 5 iron or so into most of the par 5's. If I could just get that chipping game going I think I could break 80.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Return to The 19th Hole