Text Size

The Neutral Zone

Official Jackets-centric Trade Deadline Thread

The place to talk hockey. NHL banter, discussions on the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Lake Erie Monsters, and college hockey.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, skatingtripods

Re: Official Jackets-centric Trade Deadline Thread

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:26 pm

I unfollowed him as fast as I followed him.

Katie Strang of ESPN NY said that the Rangers are off Nash because the Jackets' demands are too high.

Don't lower the price. You don't have to move him. Although I think it's in the organization's best interest.

Vancouver's the team to watch tomorrow. If Cory Schneider gets offered, CBJ can't pass. I doubt he will, but the chance is there.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Govbarney » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:05 pm

skatingtripods wrote:I unfollowed him as fast as I followed him.

Katie Strang of ESPN NY said that the Rangers are off Nash because the Jackets' demands are too high.

Don't lower the price. You don't have to move him. Although I think it's in the organization's best interest.

Vancouver's the team to watch tomorrow. If Cory Schneider gets offered, CBJ can't pass. I doubt he will, but the chance is there.

CBJ wanted Rangers to throw in Del Zotto, but now supposedly Rangers have caved on that demand.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:04 pm

Sammy Pahlsson sent to Vancouver in exchange for two 4th rnd picks in this years draft.
Last edited by Govbarney on Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 pm

Nash will remain a Jacket, at least until the off-season.

Deadline very anti-climatic for the CBJ.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:16 pm

Good on Howson. Wait for someone's playoff choke job to trade him at the draft.

He wanted Couture, didn't get him. Wanted del Zotto, didn't get him.

So keep him.

His value should be the same or higher in a couple months.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:51 pm

Monster deal at the end. Kassian for Hodgson between Buffalo and Vancouver. Real big deal, interesting deal for both teams.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:22 pm

A lot of people are shocked that Nash asked to be traded in January. How? That was right around the time they decided to keep Howson. It's obvious Nash is tired of the FO and probably vice versa.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:59 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:A lot of people are shocked that Nash asked to be traded in January. How? That was right around the time they decided to keep Howson. It's obvious Nash is tired of the FO and probably vice versa.

Nash wants to win. He'll be 30 years old and he's never played on a good team. I don't blame him for wanting out.

Where Howson screwed up is when he said Nash asked to be traded. Takes away all of his leverage now. Nash wants out, may not report to camp if a deal isn't done, even if he's under contract.

It's a bad situation turned worse now. Howson could have to settle at the draft. And this is a franchise trade that has to be completed. This gets screwed up, it's at least five more years of irrelevance.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:16 pm

I don't think Nash would hold out. He has never stuck me as selfish. Maybe i'm wrong and he's had enough regardless, but i'd be surprised.

This gets screwed up, it's at least five more years of irrelevance.

Honestly, I don't think they would survive it. Not in Columbus. Not after coming to the city twice begging for money so they can be saved from their own terrible business decisions. It would be 17 years of futility (adding in the 5 year "rebuild" scenario).

A competitive team will put fans in the seats. I'm not expecting a Cup, I just want a team that plays hard and improves season to season.

We got the farthest thing from that right now.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:24 pm

I don't see Nash holding out either. I think Howson reveling that it's Nash who asked for the trade (&no I don't blame him) may be a good thing, because it could get Nash to widen the field of teams he is willing to go to .
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby StewieG » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:48 pm

Howson

How on earth is that man still allowed to make decisions? Could he have screwed this team up any more?
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:20 am

Govbarney wrote:I don't see Nash holding out either. I think Howson reveling that it's Nash who asked for the trade (&no I don't blame him) may be a good thing, because it could get Nash to widen the field of teams he is willing to go to .

Buccigross also tweeted that it sends the message to the paying season ticket holders that it was their own player, not management, who green lighted Nash's availability.

Either way, it's a mess and I don't envy Howson's position.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:50 pm

According to Larry Brooks of the NY Post, here's what Howson wanted and what he was offered.

Howson's offer: Dubinsky — plus either Ryan McDonagh or Michael Del Zotto — plus either Derek Stepan or Carl Hagelin — plus 2009 first-rounder Chris Kreider

Rangers GM Glen Sather's offer: Brandon Dubinsky, 21-year-old top defense prospect Tim Erixon, highly regarded 2011 first-round draft choice J.T. Miller and 2010 second-round pick Christian Thomas, along with a 2012 first-round selection

Can't blame Howson. I really like the upside of NYR's offer, but you don't get NHL-ready impact just yet. It's not a bad offer at all, in fact, in the long run, it could be close to the package Howson wanted. But it's a very difficult sell for a fan base that is already beyond frustrated.

If Kreider or del Zotto were in that second offer, replacing Christian Thomas or JT Miller, Nash is a Ranger today.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:01 am

For anyone really following the Nash situation, a few posters at HF boards have strung together some good pieces of information regarding this whole mess. Sounds more and more like Nash did not come right out and request a trade, but rather, said he would be willing to move if it made everyone better off. My guess is him and management discussed what the plan was (either a tweak or a full blown nuclear rebuild), he didn't like it, and Howson said he's free to move if they can find a taker. That's a hell of a difference than what Howson suggested Monday that Rick came right out and demanded a trade. I can't say Rick is absolved from blame, but everyone in this organization from the top down is incompetent and needs to go. Little to no fans out there are on Howson's side on this and if they get rid of Nash, well there goes asses in the seats (even less than they have now).

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1121141&page=11
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:43 am

I am still really holding out hope that the McConnell wises up and shit cans the love child of Isiah Thomas & Matt Millen. New management may be able to heal any rift between Nash and the team (because there sure as hell isn't any rift between Nash and the city).
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:20 pm

Govbarney wrote:I am still really holding out hope that the McConnell wises up and shit cans the love child of Isiah Thomas & Matt Millen.

The more information that comes out, it sounds like Priest has a lot more to do with this ship sinking than anyone previously gave him credit for. He pushed the Carter deal and apparently has a lot to do with personnel moves despite what McConnell stated a month ago that MP did not have his hands on the on-ice product. None of this will end well and the fans will be the ones hurting the most for it (as they have for 10 years).

During Howson's presser the other day, he spoke about building a winning culture and developing a place where players want to play. He then brings out the dirty laundry on Nash (which we don't know is true) demanding a trade. WTF? These guys are a walking mass of contradictions and talking out of both sides of their mouth. I'm failing to see how this franchise retains the die-hard fans going into next year. Browns fans think they have it tough? Child please.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Previous

Return to The Neutral Zone