Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Homeland

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Homeland

Unread postby mitch » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:57 pm

Extremely well done on the first episode.

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!!

Not yet, though...

Great acting from the two leads. Hard to look at Claire Danes without thinking of how much of a whiny little bitch she was on "My So Called Life", but she's past that here as a really high strung, possibly psychotic CIA analyst with a hard on for taking Major Dick Winters...er...Damien Lewis down as someone who has been turned to an al-Queda agent.

Lewis is a total ball of phuqued up himself as a Marine Sgt sprung after eight years of captivity, trying to adjust to life back at home; kids he barely knew who are now teens/pre-teens, and a wife who was days away from announcing that she was moving in with the thought-to-be-dead hubby's best buddy, who she has been boning for awhile.

(and let me just say how incredibly awesome it was to see Morena Baccarin totally naked...I have been lusting for that day ever since I first saw her in "Firefly").

Spent half the episode hating Danes' character, just because I WANT to believe in Dick Winters.

Oops.

So where will the show go? Brody HAS been turned...or at least brainwashed, but you can tell how conflicted he is. Do they make him the bad guy the whole year, or do they do what I'm hoping they do, and hold out hope that he can snap out of it?

All I know is that this is the one new show that has potential to not suck.
mitch

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Ben Toothlessburger

Re: Homeland

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:56 pm

I think my biggest problem with the first episode is that I can't get Damian Lewis as Dick Winters out of my head. Like you, I had a hard time wrapping my head around him being the enemy.

Show definitely has potential, but the first episode played more like the first 30 minutes of a movie to me. I'm not sure if the format of a weekly show is best for this plot.

Obviously, since I've already got Dexter on, I'll keep watching this show.

I'm surprised Damian Lewis hasn't found much steady work. Guy was outstanding in BoB and seems really solid in this show.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:48 pm

I don't have Showtime, so I'll be catching it on DVD or off the net, but I have a hard time getting a different picture out of my head. The one of Danes "freshening up". That and while I loved seeing the V chick, sometimes I think these shows go to far with making it raw, when its just not required.

Otherwise compared to most trash out there, this seems promising.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:01 pm

Real good.

I had a HS hardon for Claire Daines when she was Juliette. Looks a little "road hard" anymore.

Some real promise in this show.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby swerb » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:04 pm

Im on board too. Love the premise. Dick Winters guy is a great actor. Very promising first episode.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:02 am

Solid ep last night.

Interested to see the reaction if/when they get a camera in the garage and are able to see Lewis's morning prayer ritual.

This show has really good potential. I hope the post-Dexter time slot is helping ratings and helps to get the show picked up for another season.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby swerb » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:43 pm

This show is outstanding. Well casted, written, and acted with a compelling storyline.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:20 pm

swerb wrote:This show is outstanding. Well casted, written, and acted with a compelling storyline.

+1.

The beauty of it is that there are 500 ways to take the storyline so it should continue to be fresh for the duration of the show.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:47 pm

Just read on IMDB that Homeland's been picked up for a second season.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby swerb » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:03 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Just read on IMDB that Homeland's been picked up for a second season.

Excellent

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:02 pm

Really, really like how this is turning out.

The cut scenes of his time in captivity are excellent. Amazingly well acted. Daines, Patinkin and Lewis are top-notch. The lady playing the wife is no slouch either.

I'm pretty sure I'll be cussing at the TV when this season ends.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby swerb » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:01 am

Saul the turned POW? Or Brody? One of em slipped the terrorist the razor blade - seems like they'll continue to make people flip flop on which one is innocent and which one is guilty.

Brody staring into the camera and defiantly answering NO when asked if hes been faithful to his wife - great scene.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:00 am

swerb wrote:Saul the turned POW? Or Brody? One of em slipped the terrorist the razor blade - seems like they'll continue to make people flip flop on which one is innocent and which one is guilty.

Brody staring into the camera and defiantly answering NO when asked if hes been faithful to his wife - great scene.

The way Saul was praying in Arabic over Hameed two weeks ago makes me think that he's involved.

Great show so far. Complex characters, great writing, excellent acting.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:39 am

Unexpected twist last night. Another good ep.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby mitch » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:47 am

skatingtripods wrote:Unexpected twist last night. Another good ep.

Finally got around to watching it last night after a rather interesting weekend/week.

Did NOT see that twist coming.

Definitely a surprise, but yet one that doesn't feel like a total cheat. I went back in my mind to all of the flashbacks that Brody had involving Walker, and I can see where and why they were screwing with his head.

5 episodes to go...and I think more twists are coming.
mitch

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:15 am

mitch wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:Unexpected twist last night. Another good ep.

Finally got around to watching it last night after a rather interesting weekend/week.

Did NOT see that twist coming.

Definitely a surprise, but yet one that doesn't feel like a total cheat. I went back in my mind to all of the flashbacks that Brody had involving Walker, and I can see where and why they were screwing with his head.

5 episodes to go...and I think more twists are coming.

I watched the first seven episodes over the course of last couple weeks. Wasn't going to but it was warmly received here.

Good show. Nice mid-season twist. Not sure it's sustainable as a series though after one season. I mean, they could. Shit, they did it with The Killing from what I heard. But I stopped w/The Killing and I wouldn't watch another season of this show either. They'd compromise the integrity of the original plot too much, in my opinion.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby mitch » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:35 am

Another week, another surprise ending.

I guess we now know what they'll be doing for Season 2. Sgt. Brody becoming Congressman Brody and a nice little Machurian Candidate.
mitch

Unread postby swerb » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:57 pm

Great episode. Sets up for a seemingly awesome finale.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:31 am

Claire Daines is an amazing psycho hose-beast.

90 minute finale next week, no way does Brody go through with it. But the lead-up looks great.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby swerb » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:37 am

Erie Warrior wrote:Claire Daines is an amazing psycho hose-beast.

90 minute finale next week, no way does Brody go through with it. But the lead-up looks great.

Claire Danes has been awesome. Earned a whole new level of respect for her. Also love the dude that plays Saul. And the wife - very cute. Acting all the way around has been great.

Best episode of the season last night.

Previews for the finale look outstanding.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:15 am

swerb wrote:
Erie Warrior wrote:Claire Daines is an amazing psycho hose-beast.

Claire Danes has been awesome. Earned a whole new level of respect for her. Also love the dude that plays Saul. And the wife - very cute. Acting all the way around has been great.

Best episode of the season last night.

Previews for the finale look outstanding.

Mandy Patinkin plays Saul. He's a tremendous actor.

C Danes has been tremendous in the last two schizo episodes.
Damian Lewis is good enough to be a bit creepier every moment leading up to what he's supposed to do.

I don't smell finale as much as I smell cliff hanger though.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:52 pm

peeker643 wrote:Mandy Patinkin plays Saul. He's a tremendous actor.

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." ...
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:05 pm

Caught this entire season to date while home sick this week and yeah, it's really really well done.

Reminds me of Sleeper Cell awesomeness but with insane acting.

A bit seemingly random sex scene heavy, because, well that's Showtime.

But strong as hell.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby mitch » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:57 pm

This thing has played out more as a mini-series than anything else. Which is interesting considering it's already been picked up for a second season.

I have no freaking idea how this might end this year. From the previews, we know Brody has the suicide vest, and the Walker sniper guy is just there to blow someone away (the power broker woman who held the party when Brody was first floated as a Congressman?)...which will force a bunch of bigwigs into an enclosed area to end up as wall-pizza.

Do they really have the balls to have Brody successfully flip the switch? Since these are some of the same guys behind "24", it wouldn't completely shock me to see them try to out-do the first season murder of Teri Bauer.

My only real guess for Season 2 is that Carrie gets her job back after being the only one who figured this whole thing out...and that her stuffed shirt boss either gets killed or takes the fall for this major eff up.

Other than those lame guesses...I got nuthin
mitch

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:02 am

Only had to log in twice this time!

That aside, Sleeper Cell season 2 was awful. Now this is much better done, but yeah there are very big questions and everyone shares them.

That said, the characters are strong enough they could probably pull off a storyline completely void of Brody featuring just the hunt for fake Bin-Laden.

And I really am so confused by how the people that made the stupid action insanity that was 24 have managed to do such a great, slow-developing, character driven show.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby mitch » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:16 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Only had to log in twice this time!

That said, the characters are strong enough they could probably pull off a storyline completely void of Brody featuring just the hunt for fake Bin-Laden.

I agree.

Perhaps Brody is Season One's "Big Bad" like Dexter always tends to have (shut up, Mitch, and quit bitching about how much Dexter has sucked since Trinity was killed).

Not that I'd want to see that formula repeated every year with one target to track down and a Final Solution each year...but if it's done well, then it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. And actually spending the entire season humanizing the Big Bad, and making you wonder for 75% of the season if he really IS "the enemy"?...well played.
mitch

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:56 pm

As someone that grew up on the superawesomeness that is My So Called Life, I present: http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/20 ... er_vulture
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:23 pm

I'm going to have to wait for the Homeland DVD to have a clue what you guys are talking about.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:31 pm

The video I posted will give you a good taste of the profanity aspect without giving anything away and there is a good chunk of pointless sex.

So I think you're good.

Plus a few torture scenes.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:40 pm

Did she say "I love sucking Nazi dick"?

As long as the torture doesn't involve teeth, that shit makes me squirm.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:42 pm

Yes she did say that and no teeth... teeth mess with me as well.

The Sucking Nazi dick line was, easily, line of the season thus far.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:04 am

That was rather well done, to say the least.

About as interesting a way as they could have set up a season 2 as possible.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby swerb » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:15 am

Yeah, I thought the finale was very well done. Lays out the reasoning behind him being turned, then he actually tries to do it and has technical difficulties. Very tense scenes. And sets up a great plot line for season two.

As good of a new show as I've seen in a long time. Well done Showtime.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:23 am

There were a thousand excuses they could have come up with to have him not do it, but using an insane Claire Danes (playing the role really effin well) to convince his daughter to call him was about as creatively perfect as they could have handled keeping Brody around.

Not to mention that I was actually rooting for him to flip the switch both times just to vindicate Carrie/Danes, which is impressive.

Yeah, damn good first season.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby mitch » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:00 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Not to mention that I was actually rooting for him to flip the switch both times just to vindicate Carrie/Danes, which is impressive.

Yeah, damn good first season.

I found myself on that boat as well.

The interesting part was Brody's taped "statement", and you may see where the writers might be going with this.

He doesn't see himself as an Islamic terrorist...he sees himself as a US Marine, doing battle against "domestic enemies" of the country. Now that may be just a poor rationalization on his part, but I think it shows how he might be changed at some point.

As mentioned, Danes is just incredible in this show...but Damien Lewis and the girl playing his daughter also knocked it out of the park last night with their performances.
mitch

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:22 pm

mitch wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:As mentioned, Danes is just incredible in this show...but Damien Lewis and the girl playing his daughter also knocked it out of the park last night with their performances.

Brody in the safe room was amazing. Top to bottom, the acting has been fantastic.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby swerb » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:18 pm

I forgot about the fact that his taped statement was missing, with the extra chalk line there. Who's got it?

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:35 pm

I was wondering if they were going to close the show with the tape showing up, instead, of course they let Carrie figure out that Brody knows the dead kid.

Show-runners have even indicated in post mortems that the tape is something to keep an eye on.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:58 pm

swerb wrote:I forgot about the fact that his taped statement was missing, with the extra chalk line there. Who's got it?

Was under impression Moore had it and likely that Naziri does now.

And agree with Mitch: the girl that plays Dana was tremendous last night. The pensive walk down the hall way when Brody was putting on the vest, the mannerisms on the porch and on the roof. Just very well acted.

Thought both Virgil and Saul were excellent in the finale too.

I will say this: Brody's wife is hot, but she's the worst actor on the show.

The worst acted parts on the show are his wife and the CIA head.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:00 pm

peeker643 wrote:The worst acted parts on the show are his wife and the CIA head.

Easily.

And she's not even as hot with the short hair.

Was way hotter with it long.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:19 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
And she's not even as hot with the short hair.

Was way hotter with it long.

It hid her weird, extra long neck. She's a like a Femraffe.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby jerryroche » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:56 pm

Just started watching on Showtime On Demand. Through the first two eps.

Wow! Riveting. Great plot device having Danes be able to see into the POW's home. She plays one helluva screwed up character. Mandy's great, and so is the POW guy. (And Morena Baccarin looks much hotter with longer hair versus her "V" alien mama.)

Haven't read any comments past the first mention of "twist" above, because I don't want to spoil it for myself.

Gotta get through 10 more eps before April 4th when they're coming off On Demand. At least I don't have to worry about renting DVDs now.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby Orenthal » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:52 pm

eh, I got half way and quit. It isn't bad but I have a hard time seeing a guy steeped in the group dynamics of the armed forces being turned. Especially once "out" (granted I only made it halfway). The other is the robust domestic activity of the CIA, um not so much, at least as open as they seem to be operating...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:15 pm

Orenthal wrote:eh, I got half way and quit. It isn't bad but I have a hard time seeing a guy steeped in the group dynamics of the armed forces being turned. Especially once "out" (granted I only made it halfway). The other is the robust domestic activity of the CIA, um not so much, at least as open as they seem to be operating...

Are they getting in firefights while driving black SUVs that say " NOT THE CIA" on the side?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:32 pm

Orenthal wrote:eh, I got half way and quit. It isn't bad but I have a hard time seeing a guy steeped in the group dynamics of the armed forces being turned. Especially once "out" (granted I only made it halfway). The other is the robust domestic activity of the CIA, um not so much, at least as open as they seem to be operating...

Good lord, talk about odd standards.

And toward the end they do address why he was turned. Kind of the major point of the whole season.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Orenthal » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:44 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:

Good lord, talk about odd standards.

And toward the end they do address why he was turned. Kind of the major point of the whole season.

You are 100% correct on the standards.

eh the actors who suck have been pointed out already, and I qualified that it wasn't bad. In another thread you asked for my opinion on some things, so I kinda stayed topical. Otherwise the show is entertaining I just have ADD and bad taste when it comes to TV. I would flip from this show to watch Commando so my opinion shouldn't matter much.
Orenthal

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:50 pm

Not judging, just never would have expected Realism to play into Showtime TV concerns lol.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Orenthal » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:04 pm

Yeah, is Rude Awakening still in production?
Orenthal

Unread postby jerryroche » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:50 pm

Just finished watching all 12 eps on Showtime On Demand. Zowie!

Like "24" but with a slower narrative pace and deeper character development—which is good. Agree with the other posters here about the excellent acting.

Season Two should be a barn-burner. Looking for the writers to wrap up the Brody saga by the end of the second season. Then, if it's renewed for Season Three, they could attack some other terrorist organization, or go after Abu Nazir himself.

Just a guess, but maybe Carrie will return as a CIA contractor rather than a full-fledged agent—thanks to her figuring out when and where the assassination attempt was to take place. Not with "Top Secret" security clearance, but maybe one level lower ("Secret"). She'll still have Saul in her hip pocket, though. Just a guess.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:33 pm

I didn't care for it. Unlike 24, which was obviously overblown and insane, they try to be realistic. But there's a lot of stuff in there that just isn't realistic, so it makes me be "that guy" that sits there and points out inaccuracies. I hate being that guy, but there's some blatant errors in there that they try to play off and it pisses me off. Just didn't care for it overall.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Next

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture