Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

#4, #22, and _________?

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

#4, #22, and _________?

Unread postby swerb » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:45 pm

What's it gonna cost us to move up to #2? #4 and #22 for sure. Plus some.

I pay the price, no matter how steep. Get to #2. The quicker the better.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: #4, #22, and _________?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:48 pm

4, 22, Peeker and Mother.

Seriously, I hold out till the very last second on 4 and 22 and I start with 4 and 37.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:49 pm

swerb wrote:What's it gonna cost us to move up to #2? #4 and #22 for sure. Plus some.

I pay the price, no matter how steep. Get to #2. The quicker the better.

Whatever it takes. 4, 22, 3rd's this year and next. You've got three 1st round picks in the next two years; the goal should be to keep at least one of them.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:00 pm

Can you ante up more than Dan Snyder is willing to?

Cause at the end of the day, that will be the determining factor.

Peyton Manning is beyond a poor gamble right now, and if The Dolphins go Scott Mitchell from Green Bay, ya got one option for Snyder. And I'm quite confident Dan Snyder thought the Herschel Walker trade was a good one for the Vikings.

No to mention, RG3 is right in Shanny's wheelhouse in regard to what he likes to do with QB's. Holmy and Shurmy wants their's under center, Shanny from the gun.

Big, big problem ILO.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby HoodooMan » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:07 pm

Impossible to answer until FA, but if I was H&H (and I liked RG3) I'd be blowing smoke about how much we're in love with RG3 and how we'll pay whatever it takes to get him.

Every other suitor knows that if that's the case, they're SOL, since we have more to give than anyone else. Let one or two of them face that reality and settle for Manning or Flynn in FA. If you can bluff Washington into moving on to a FA option, that would do wonders for our leverage.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby NoWearMan » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:13 pm

First off, I have to apologize for being late to the discussion. This may have already been discussed at length so slap me down as need be.

Are there any other realistic options besides both #1's this year?

#4, a second rounder this year (i really don't even know if we have a 2nd rounder this year, that's how dumb i am) and next years first rounder? or some combination where we can keep #22?

To answer the question as asked, my answer is....well...whatever it takes. I am firmly in the camp of taking RG3.

Lame ass post, I know.
NoWearMan

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:28 pm

NoWearMan wrote:First off, I have to apologize for being late to the discussion. This may have already been discussed at length so slap me down as need be.

#4, a second rounder this year (i really don't even know if we have a 2nd rounder this year, that's how dumb i am) and next years first rounder? or some combination where we can keep #22?

To answer the question as asked, my answer is....well...whatever it takes. I am firmly in the camp of taking RG3.

Lame ass post, I know.

2012 NFL Draft Picks
1.22 (from ATL),
4.5, 4.23 (from ATL)
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby googleeph2 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:41 pm

HoodooMan wrote:Impossible to answer until FA, but if I was H&H (and I liked RG3) I'd be blowing smoke about how much we're in love with RG3 and how we'll pay whatever it takes to get him.

Every other suitor knows that if that's the case, they're SOL, since we have more to give than anyone else. Let one or two of them face that reality and settle for Manning or Flynn in FA. If you can bluff Washington into moving on to a FA option, that would do wonders for our leverage.

AMEN. You are the only one I've seen who sees it my way.

It's how the Yankees get their free agents sometimes, only with money.
When they've said they plan to target a FA, nobody gets in the bidding war.

And Dan Snyder may try to give up more, but he doesn't have the #4. Comes down to who the Rams are targeting- Blackmon?

I would try this bluff, but end up not giving up more than the 2 1st rdrs.
If there is a down side, please tell me.

And if it does not work (RG is gone), I'd try to do what Heckert did last yr.
Trade the #4 for more picks, including a 1 next yr. That way, they'll have this same flexibility to move up again in 2013.

Because that haul for Julio Jones was Atlanta's 1st, 2nd and 4th last yr and their 1st and 4th this yr. That type of deal would kiss #4 goodbye, but there still would be 2 1st rdrs this yr.

I'd sign up for some more of that, if Griffin is too expensive and a suitor is there.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby andrew6586 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:45 pm

Don't offer 22 until you have to. When you think about it, 4 and 37 should be more than enough to move down 2 spots. It's not a big jump at all.
Once a fan, always a fan.
On Twitter @apac6586
andrew6586
Church of Asdrubal

Favorite Player: Kenny Lofton
Least Favorite Player: Mark Shapiro

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:36 pm

andrew6586 wrote:Don't offer 22 until you have to. When you think about it, 4 and 37 should be more than enough to move down 2 spots. It's not a big jump at all.

That was before, when the contract that came along with a top 5 pick was a big negative. With the new CBA, top picks are more valuable than ever. You aren't moving up to 2 for any less than the two 1st's.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby swerb » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:50 pm

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:
andrew6586 wrote:Don't offer 22 until you have to. When you think about it, 4 and 37 should be more than enough to move down 2 spots. It's not a big jump at all.

That was before, when the contract that came along with a top 5 pick was a big negative. With the new CBA, top picks are more valuable than ever. You aren't moving up to 2 for any less than the two 1st's.

Exactly. And especially in a year with two #1 pick worthy franchise QBs on the board, and the 3rd and 4th best players are a tackle and a wide receiver.

#4, #22, and something else its gonna take. You can take it to the bank.

And you pay it.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:52 pm

swerb wrote:
rebelwithoutaclue wrote:

Exactly. And especially in a year with two #1 pick worthy franchise QBs on the board, and the 3rd and 4th best players are a tackle and a wide receiver.

And you pay it.

And if you don't, someone else is paying a 1st/2nd this year and next and laughing all the way to the bank.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby swerb » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:01 pm

The Giants had the #4 overall pick in the 2004 Draft.

And traded that pick, their third round pick, and their first and fifth round picks the following year to move up to get Eli. That Giants team had lots of holes too. I don’t think they’re regretting it.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:12 am

Might as well blow their load. It would at least sell some tickets.

It would be a real shame, and completely out of character, if they had a terrible draft and were awful for a decade.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:47 am

NoWearMan wrote:First off, I have to apologize for being late to the discussion. This may have already been discussed at length so slap me down as need be.

Lame ass post, I know.

A. No reason to have deference to anyone here.

B. What is the likelihood that next year's 1st rd. pick is higher than 22?

C. That #22 pick goes away, and you reason that passing on Julius Jones just got you RG3. Time will only tell what kind of trade that is... but, fuck, I'd like to find out.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby mistero » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:53 am

I think #4 and Owen Marecic should get it done.

If not, I'm giving 4,22, a 4th and next year's 2nd.
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Favorite Player: Miller High Life
Least Favorite Player: Natural Light

Unread postby swerb » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:22 am

mistero wrote:I'm giving 4,22, a 4th and next year's 2nd.

If I had to guess, that's about what its gonna take. They got two 4ths this year. #4, #22, one of those 4ths, and another top half of the draft pick next season.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby JCoz » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:54 am

I think the 4, our 2nd and next years 1st is a more valuable package than anyone will be able to or willing to match.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:30 am

JCoz wrote:I think the 4, our 2nd and next years 1st is a more valuable package than anyone will be able to or willing to match.

Which is most likely a top 5, and a lock for a top 10. And I like that package for the Browns as well, still lots of quality to be had later in the round to improve the team this season and next season.

Just a side note, I've not been real excited about a Browns season in a while. If they make a move and land RG3, I'd consider getting the NFL Ticket. Shit, maybe even making the pilgrimage back to the Motherland to see a game live. And I'm only a partial mope. Can you image the boost from the local Fan Boi? Just from a business standpoint, that move would generate immense profit.

And they have nothing to lose. The same A-holes who have season tickets and have been going to the "games" the past few season will still go regardless of the steaming pile they run out there every Sunday.

75% of the people in the stands are just there to drink heavily at 7am Sunday morning and not look outwardly like an alcoholic. The average guy needs a reason to justify blowing $300 to take his family to the game. RG3 would give people that reason. At least for one season.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Govbarney » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:44 am

If Dan Snyder wants to give away more value the a 4,37, & a late round next year, then I say he can have him, there is all ways Barkley next year.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby jerryroche » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:46 am

If you start throwing in rostered players, the possibilities are endless.

For instance, Washington could give up a mess of draft choices, including #6, and maybe throw in WR Jabar Gaffney or WR Santana Moss and/or LB Ryan Kerrigan or LB Brian Orapko--if Snyder wants RG3 bad enough.

Other teams might not have the #4 overall, but they also could package draft choices and quality players.

Right now, not sure the Browns would want to give up any of their few quality players for a flyer at #2, so IMO it'll come down to #4, #22 and ______ in this town.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Ol' No.23

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:54 am

Govbarney wrote:If Dan Snyder wants to give away more value the a 4,37, & a late round next year, then I say he can have him, there is all ways Barkley next year.

True, but we'll be having this same discussion, but with less ammo. I don't see the Browns as being the worst team next year, and Barkley could go #1.

The real question is can RG fall to 4? I'd imagine we'll have a better idea after all the pre-draft hand releases and verbal diarrhea. Dan Gilbert is making some noise, but he doesn't have the bullets the Browns do. He'd have to give up picks for the next 3 seasons. Browns could close the deal this year.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby jb » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:20 am

Two firsts this year and whatever crap they want after round 3 this year and next. No more 1sts, ends and 3rds.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:15 pm

swerb wrote:
rebelwithoutaclue wrote:

And you pay it.

SD:

Charley casserly brought up a good point about the lamb rebuild , in that you don't necessarily want all your extar ammo in the same year .

So for discussion , I profer our #4 our #37 one of our fourths this year and next years second , which I'd upgrade to the #1 if pushed to keep my #22 this year , which gives me Miller or Adams or Burfict or even more picks if I can trade down.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:32 pm

jb wrote:Two firsts this year and whatever crap they want after round 3 this year and next. No more 1sts, ends and 3rds.

SD:

Two interesting developments have come out recently besides the fact of RG3 being closer to 6' 2 and a half rather than six foot.

Jeff fisher seems amenable to make the deal for the pick prior to the draft .

Which makes since so he can plan his free agency moves , as could we if we snagged the choice now .

and secondly

Shurmur has been given an emboldened voice , it was his comments scrolled across the bottom of NFLN stating we have our #4 and #22 to use in moving up .

Kinda unprecedented statements so early and shows he's had enough and isn't gonna take anymore Colt McCoy poured on his plate with a garnish warmed over or tossed and served .

Most new coaches want their own guy , ...

I think Shurmur just told us he's bought the ring and signed the mortgage papers.

Al Micheals asks """Do you believe in miracles """

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby bookelly » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:51 pm

swerb wrote:The Giants had the #4 overall pick in the 2004 Draft.

And traded that pick, their third round pick, and their first and fifth round picks the following year to move up to get Eli. That Giants team had lots of holes too. I don’t think they’re regretting it.

Was that to get #1 or #2? Big difference.

#4 #22 and next years #3 should do it.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:53 pm

To be fair Swerb, the Giants also traded a QB prospect that was rated just behind Eli for an Eli that refused to play in San Diego (because the Manning Family has to always get their way).
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:04 pm

6'2 and 3'8" and a 4.38 40 40-yard has got to at least have the Rams saying, "Hmmm..... how big is the hit if we take this cat and trade our guy?"

No?

The price keeps going up.

Maybe you can talk them back down by virtue of his really slow time in the first 40-yard attempt.

His 4.41 didn't even break the 4.40 mark. :hide:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby noles1 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:19 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:
jb wrote:Two firsts this year and whatever crap they want after round 3 this year and next. No more 1sts, ends and 3rds.

SD:

Two interesting developments have come out recently besides the fact of RG3 being closer to 6' 2 and a half rather than six foot.

Jeff fisher seems amenable to make the deal for the pick prior to the draft .

Which makes since so he can plan his free agency moves , as could we if we snagged the choice now .

and secondly

Shurmur has been given an emboldened voice , it was his comments scrolled across the bottom of NFLN stating we have our #4 and #22 to use in moving up .

Kinda unprecedented statements so early and shows he's had enough and isn't gonna take anymore Colt McCoy poured on his plate with a garnish warmed over or tossed and served .

Most new coaches want their own guy , ...

I think Shurmur just told us he's bought the ring and signed the mortgage papers.

Al Micheals asks """Do you believe in miracles """

SoulDawg

Plus I think it's an attempt to flush out Washington and Miami to say "either you are going to have to throw the kitchen sink to beat our offer or start looking elsewhere (ie. free agency)".

IF Washington/Miami make a play at Flynn at Manning then we might be better able to push back on the offer with STL. Think it's gonna take #4, #22 and a 4th and 4rd next year as it stands now.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:37 pm

Govbarney wrote:If Dan Snyder wants to give away more value the a 4,37, & a late round next year, then I say he can have him, there is all ways Barkley next year.

Dangerous line of thinking which I see other people have as well.

There's "Barkley next year"? You sure about that?

Let's say he plays the way people think he will and is in line for #1 overall. You sure the Browns will even be as high as #4 to even have a remote shot of trading it all next year to get him? With a good draft and some slightly better QB play, it's not hard to see the Browns winning 6 or 7 games, which puts them well out of Barkley territory.

Then there's the possibility that Barkley has some massive injury, or plays like shit.

I think RG3 is a better prospect than Barkley anyway, but that's just opinion. What's fact is that the odds are incredibly low that the Browns will be able to acquire the #1 (or even #2) overall pick next year. Counting on it is CRAZY.

The way I see it, even the bad franchises don't get this high every year, and even this high it looks like you STILL need to trade up to get that elite prospect. Even from #4 this ain't gonna be easy.

Waving your hand and saying you'll take care of it later is the response you give when you have no real intention of ever painting that bathroom.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:43 pm

I don't care what's done.

just get this deal done.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:50 pm

Hikohadon wrote:

Dangerous line of thinking which I see other people have as well.

There's "Barkley next year"? You sure about that?

Let's say he plays the way people think he will and is in line for #1 overall. You sure the Browns will even be as high as #4 to even have a remote shot of trading it all next year to get him? With a good draft and some slightly better QB play, it's not hard to see the Browns winning 6 or 7 games, which puts them well out of Barkley territory.

Then there's the possibility that Barkley has some massive injury, or plays like shit.

I think RG3 is a better prospect than Barkley anyway, but that's just opinion. What's fact is that the odds are incredibly low that the Browns will be able to acquire the #1 (or even #2) overall pick next year. Counting on it is CRAZY.

The way I see it, even the bad franchises don't get this high every year, and even this high it looks like you STILL need to trade up to get that elite prospect. Even from #4 this ain't gonna be easy.

Waving your hand and saying you'll take care of it later is the response you give when you have no real intention of ever painting that bathroom.

Yes.

And people need to realize how freak a year THIS one is. Cause next time there's two QB prospects of this caliber, and the team sitting number two having the clear the No. 1 QB prospect from last year is unlikely. And unlikely is too soft a word.

Also, it doesn't kill you financially anymore, so it ain't gonna be a walk in the park to trade up to one or two in ANY year anymore.

They get it done. Or they don't. Then the slate is clear.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:59 pm

Heard on the radio that Washington is prepared to offer this year's 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and next year's 1st.

So that's the jump off point.

Personally, I'd pay that in a heartbeat, even though I was hoping the price would be less. I'd let them know they can take 1-3 this year and either next year's 1st OR #22 this year. Either way, Washington (or anybody) Simply cannot hang with the Browns if we H&H decide that RG3 is our guy. I would absolutely shout that from the rooftops. Make Wash have to consider the real fact that they simply do not have the ammo this year.

Something to consider: I really believe that StL would rather deal with the Browns. I believe that Kalil is their guy. I believe that they know there is a good chance that Kalil will be sitting there at #4 if they trade with us. They have to know that Kalil will definitely be long gone at #6 if they trade with Washington.

In the end, that is going to matter to them, and I believe that because of Kalil, Washington is going to have to crush the Browns offer to get that spot, and I don't think they can do it.
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:57 pm

motherscratcher wrote:Heard on the radio that Washington is prepared to offer this year's 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and next year's 1st.

Personally, I'd pay that in a heartbeat, even though I was hoping the price would be less. I'd let them know they can take 1-3 this year and either next year's 1st OR #22 this year. Either way, Washington (or anybody) Simply cannot hang with the Browns if we H&H decide that RG3 is our guy. I would absolutely shout that from the rooftops. Make Wash have to consider the real fact that they simply do not have the ammo this year.

Something to consider: I really believe that StL would rather deal with the Browns. I believe that Kalil is their guy. I believe that they know there is a good chance that Kalil will be sitting there at #4 if they trade with us. They have to know that Kalil will definitely be long gone at #6 if they trade with Washington.

In the end, that is going to matter to them, and I believe that because of Kalil, Washington is going to have to crush the Browns offer to get that spot, and I don't think they can do it.

President Kennedy once said (when he wasn't balls deep in some starlet) its impossible to defend yourself against one willing to give his own life.

Same applies here. I'm sure people didn't think the Vikings had that much to give for Herschel. Dan Snyder, when it comes to NFL football, is an asolute moron. Rational thought doesn't apply. It sure appears the Browns have more to give, but again, the guy is a loose cannon.

Hopefully he aims some foolish offer Flynn's way, but either way, as RG3 contnues to raise his stock at workouts, the final price tag is going to be brutal.

And I'd still probably do it mind you, but it's gonna be brutal.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:17 pm

I don't see St Louis dropping to 6 and risk missing out on both Blackmon and Kalil, FTR

I offer up both this yrs #1's and next yrs as an Ace in the hole if thats what it takes not only because of RG's skillset but, also to energize a fanbase than has absofuckinglootly run out of patience....
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby bookelly » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:32 pm

If I was the Rams I'd trade Bradford to the Browns for the #4 and draft RG3. They could get Kahil and RG3. And you know this org loves to have guys that played for them before.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:57 pm

motherscratcher wrote:Heard on the radio that Washington is prepared to offer this year's 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and next year's 1st.

I heard this too, and I think that you beat it with:

Both 1's this year. The higher 4th rd. pick. 2nd next year.

So the Rams get #22, a (probably high) 2013 2nd, and a 4th to move down 2 spots and STILL probably get Kalil.

WAS: #6, #1 next year (could be around 22), #39, #70

CLE: #4, #22, #2 next year (could be about 39), #100.

Not only is that deal completely comparable, but preferable b/c the 4 is so much better than the 6. Look how much that 2 spot jump is already worth.

But my deal comes with the expiration date of March 12th.

It's a lot to give up, and I can totally understand the reservations. If they don't do it, I won't crucify them. They'd just better be f-ing right.

But you receive/retain: A pick in every round of the draft this year. A pick in every round of next year (except the 2nd). And RG3 (well, you have to use that 1st pick on him, so I guess he was already mentioned).

Personally, I make that proposal tonight and give them the 2 weeks to figure it out. It's not a Hail Mary, b/c I truly believe that at the WORST - at a level that would be considered a Bust b/c of the potential he had - he's still slightly better than Colt McCoy. That's just how much higher his ceiling is.

I also don't think that trade is a franchise-crippler even should RG3 be kidnapped by Iranians the day after the draft.

And what if he actually lives up to his potential? What if he's football LeBron (minus the lifelong entitlement, of course)?

If you let him go, do those guys you take at #4, #22, and next year's 2nd make up for it?

Does the combination of Morris Claiborne, Kendall Wright, and Alex Okafor (DE - Texas, projected low 1st, high 2nd) make you no longer wonder "What If"? Is their contribution greater than a possible star QB?
Last edited by Hikohadon on Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hikohadon

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:05 pm

Geezes christ, this is insanity.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:09 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Geezes christ, this is insanity.

Yep. High stakes poker, this. And only your career and reputation rest on winning the hand.
Hikohadon

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:12 pm

Did you just "Yoda post?"

SMH
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby swerb » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:59 pm

If thats what the Skins are offering in late Feb, that means that's not the max they'll go.

Agree 100% with Hiko's thoughts and counter. I think that's what'll happen, and then the Skins will up the ante and move to their final, improved, insane offer. That I will be cheering for the Browns to beat.

Perfect effing storm for the Rams at #2 with this pick. They're going to get the mother load in return for it.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby CleSportsTruth » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:59 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:I don't see St Louis dropping to 6 and risk missing out on both Blackmon and Kalil, FTR

I offer up both this yrs #1's and next yrs as an Ace in the hole if thats what it takes not only because of RG's skillset but, also to energize a fanbase than has absofuckinglootly run out of patience....

If they don't take Kalil at #2, they can't count on him surviving past 3, nevermind any further. And I'm pretty sure Blackmon WOULD be there at #6.

For the record, much as I love RGIII, if we have to give up close to what WSH is willing to give up, then I'm out. Too many good young players to give up.
CleSportsTruth

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:01 pm

SD:

Washington supposedly has no interest in Flynn ...."NO ARM " system QB.

They'll chase Manning make a bid for RG3 and settle on Tanneyhill in that order .

I expect Flynn to be a Dulphin to run Philbins system . and the browns to include next years 2013 to make Randy happy and keep their jobs .

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby CleSportsTruth » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:02 pm

swerb wrote:If thats what the Skins are offering in late Feb, that means that's not the max they'll go.

Agree 100% with Hiko's thoughts and counter. I think that's what'll happen, and then the Skins will up the ante and move to their final, improved offer.

Perfect effing storm for the Rams at #2 with this pick. They're going to get the mother load in return for it.

Yep, and sorry, don't think we should try to match them. Maybe, maybe for Luck, but no one else.
CleSportsTruth

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:06 pm

CleSportsTruth wrote:
swerb wrote:If thats what the Skins are offering in late Feb, that means that's not the max they'll go.

Agree 100% with Hiko's thoughts and counter. I think that's what'll happen, and then the Skins will up the ante and move to their final, improved offer.

Yep, and sorry, don't think we should try to match them. Maybe, maybe for Luck, but no one else.

I agree that it will be a lot to give up (whatever it ends up being) and it will be painful. But, if we do not go up and get RG3 this year, who is our long term solution at QB and how do we get him?
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby CleSportsTruth » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:12 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
CleSportsTruth wrote:

I agree that it will be a lot to give up (whatever it ends up being) and it will be painful. But, if we do not go up and get RG3 this year, who is our long term solution at QB and how do we get him?

The problem is, OK, you get RGIII, but by the time it's all done, you might not have a way to help him at all for, oh, 2 yrs. That helps no one, IMHO.

Me, I guess go for Flynn then.
CleSportsTruth

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:21 pm

CleSportsTruth wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:
CleSportsTruth wrote:

The problem is, OK, you get RGIII, but by the time it's all done, you might not have a way to help him at all for, oh, 2 yrs. That helps no one, IMHO.

Me, I guess go for Flynn then.

We've been mired in suck for over a decade and you can't stomach building around possibly the most dynamic QB to come along in that because it might take 2 years?

Let me ask you this. If we sign Flynn, how long will we have to build before we have a team that contends for a Super Bowl?

Personally, I don't see us getting there any faster (actually I see us never getting there) with Flynn and the draft picks, than we would get there with RG3 sans those draft picks.
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:07 pm

Guy went to the combine and showed no signs of wear, no chinks in the armor ( he's not chinese so I can use that I think ). He didn't show up fat, he didn't have medical scare, he interviewed well, was engaging and athletic.

He didn't drop the ball.

As I said in the Wrap, NFL guys already knew how athletic and bright he was. This right now is all media driven hype. The cost may get higher because of his private interviews, film sessions and his Pro Day (least important of all) but it didn't get higher because of today.

As much needling and ball busting as I'll do, they already knew this. That he didn't come in and Mike Adams the event was really all he had to do.

The 6'2 and a 1/2" thing was bigger than his workouts (although those were ridiculous).

Fuck Vinnie Cerrato and any other disconnected fuck wad now living by creating clicks and listeners.

This ain't where the going got pricey. That's still possibly to come though.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:19 pm

Matt Flynn has started 2 NFL games.....2!

Snyder is driving the price up because he's a moron and willing to pay way too much.

I like RGIII, but that's too much to give up IMO.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:24 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Matt Flynn has started 2 NFL games.....2!

Snyder is driving the price up because he's a moron and willing to pay way too much.

I like RGIII, but that's too much to give up IMO.

If you don't want Flynn, and don't want to pay for RG3, what is your long term solution at QB?
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Next

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL