Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Overlooked Factor in Tribe's 3 World Series Losses

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Overlooked Factor in Tribe's 3 World Series Losses

Unread postby aclayman » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:03 pm

This is apropos of absolutely nothing. But it's rarely if ever noted that due simply to the randomness of MLB's old, alternating system for World Series home field advantage, the Indians had to go on the road for the Fall Classic in 1954, 1995, and 1997. This was despite the fact that they had 14 more regular season wins than the Giants in '54, 10 more wins than the Braves in '95, and were division champs facing a wild card Marlins team in '97.

Forced by bad luck into being the visitors, the Indians fell behind 2-0 to New York and Atlanta, and had to play in Miami in the deciding Game 7 in '97.

Yes, home field is far less important in baseball than football or basketball. But shit. At the very least, we got screwed out of extra ticket sales. Regular season performance should determine home field advantage. Not alternating schedules and certainly not the results of a July exhibition game. The end. Bitterly.
aclayman

Favorite Player: Andy Allanson
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bando

Re: Overlooked Factor in Tribe's 3 World Series Losses

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:07 pm

I always hated that old system, too. Changing it is the only good move I give Commishioner Bud credit for.
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby gotribe31 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:12 pm

aclayman wrote:This is apropos of absolutely nothing. But it's rarely if ever noted that due simply to the randomness of MLB's old, alternating system for World Series home field advantage, the Indians had to go on the road for the Fall Classic in 1954, 1995, and 1997. This was despite the fact that they had 14 more regular season wins than the Giants in '54, 10 more wins than the Braves in '95, and were division champs facing a wild card Marlins team in '97.

Forced by bad luck into being the visitors, the Indians fell behind 2-0 to New York and Atlanta, and had to play in Miami in the deciding Game 7 in '97.

Yes, home field is far less important in baseball than football or basketball. But shit. At the very least, we got screwed out of extra ticket sales. Regular season performance should determine home field advantage. Not alternating schedules and certainly not the results of a July exhibition game. The end. Bitterly.

Not to mention playing extra games in the NL parks stripped the offense-oriented Indians of the use of the DH.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby Squints » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:38 pm

A 450 foot fly out and a 250 foot home run in game 1 at the polo grounds. Not that it matters now.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby bookelly » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:24 pm

Given the current system and the migration of big bats to the AL, I doubt this we see a NL home advantage for quite a while.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby Shulesjo » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:36 pm

In typical Cleveland fashion, the World Series location was that the AL had home field in odd years and NL in even years until the 1994 strike when there was no World Series. Thus 1995 should have been a Cleveland home field advantage but the Commissioner wanted to give home field to the NL that year. Since then it has remained that way.
Shulesjo

Favorite Player: Lou Boudreau
Least Favorite Player: Charlie Manuel

Unread postby bookelly » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:16 am

Shulesjo wrote:In typical Cleveland fashion, the World Series location was that the AL had home field in odd years and NL in even years until the 1994 strike when there was no World Series. Thus 1995 should have been a Cleveland home field advantage but the Commissioner wanted to give home field to the NL that year. Since then it has remained that way.

You don't like pink teddy bears garnished with flowers do you?
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby pod2dawg » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:24 am

What sealed our fate in "97" was me being there with my Tribe jersey on snickering when Craig Counsell came to bat..........
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB