Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Shurmur and Villa boss McCleish in brainstorming session

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Shurmur and Villa boss McCleish in brainstorming session

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:00 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17045572

I like this thinking outside the box (kind of) two coaches of different sports exchanging ideas. In my opinion American sports are far far more advanced in their administration and the way they function so this will serve McCleish better.

Here's hoping it benefits the Browns though I doubt they will benefit from a struggling football who play in a sport that is so so backward in its day to day workings.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Re: Shurmur and Villa boss McCleish in brainstorming session

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:31 am

Leave it to Randy to have two coaches of bottom dwelling, doisappointing sports teams brainstorm together.

The good news is that any such brainstorming session shouldn't take more than ten minutes of their time.

Shoulda seen if Urban Meyer was available. ;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:42 am

SHUR!!!
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Cease » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:28 pm

Randy should have Villa play at CBS sometime. Although, I think the Browns fanbase would go apeshit with disapproval.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:52 pm

Unlike with the Browns, under Learner's ownership Villa has been as successful as one can expect for a soccer team not owned by a Saudi Prince, or Russian Mega-Billionaire. They have avoided relegation, generally finish in the middle of the pack , and every few years sniff the ass-crack of a champions league spot and/or make a run in one of the domestic cups. In fact Lerner has been one of the few American owners not to draw total and utter disdain from his teams fan base.

The bar for success in the mind of English Club Soccer Fan is vastly different from that of a fan of a typical American sport. If your not a fan of Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea, or Liverpool, you are fucking ecstatic every year when your team doesn't get relegated, and if you are relegated, its like winning the world series if your team manages to crawl its way back out of the cellar.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:53 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:SHUR!!!

MURR!!!!
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:16 pm

Govbarney wrote:Unlike with the Browns, under Learner's ownership Villa has been as successful as one can expect for a soccer team not owned by a Saudi Prince, or Russian Mega-Billionaire. They have avoided relegation, generally finish in the middle of the pack , and every few years sniff the ass-crack of a champions league spot and/or make a run in one of the domestic cups. In fact Lerner has been one of the few American owners not to draw total and utter disdain from his teams fan base.

The bar for success in the mind of English Club Soccer Fan is vastly different from that of a fan of a typical American sport. If your not a fan of Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea, or Liverpool, you are fucking ecstatic every year when your team doesn't get relegated, and if you are relegated, its like winning the world series if your team manages to crawl its way back out of the cellar.

True- Boatloads of cash to be entrenched in the league, even if you're fodder for the Champions League-caliber teams.

The fans of Chelsea and Liverpool right now are more bent about their teams than AV fans are. Because Arsenal and Liverpool are currently outside looking in for a Champions league spot meaning they're likely to lose the $30m in TV revenues and a couple stars (as I noted somewhere else) not too terribly long ago.

I guess the draw for Wigan and QPR and AV to an extent (and, honestly, half or more of the premier League) is having the best in the world come to your place and play and the money it puts in the local economy.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Squints » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:33 pm

I did a search a few weeks ago as "Randy Lerner as Aston Villa owner" and came up with many articles basically saying that he is an absentee owner, apologizes for not being a visible owner and not spending money during the recent transfer period. Some chastise that he has tarnished the legacy and tradition of Villa. Sounds pretty familiar.

Right now they are seven points, three positions, from being relegated. They aren't Manchester United, but they aren't Wigan either. The link below is a synopsis of most of the articles and the quickest read-

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/ast ... -no-shows/

It's also worth noting that by most accounts, Villa has what is described as "the most miserable and self-loathing fan base in the EPL." Again, something seems eerily familiar with all of this.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:53 pm

Squints wrote:It's also worth noting that by most accounts, Villa has what is described as "the most miserable and self-loathing fan base in the EPL." Again, something seems eerily familiar with all of this.

Indeed.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:21 pm

Are both fan bases miserable and self-loathing because of Lerner or is he just attracted to those type of people?

Not important really.... I gotta run and complete my online purchase of an Aston Villa jersey and stocking cap.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:34 pm

peeker643 wrote:Are both fan bases miserable and self-loathing because of Lerner or is he just attracted to those type of people?

Not important really.... I gotta run and complete my online purchase of an Aston Villa jersey and stocking cap.

The midlands is the most miserable and despondent spot on the face of this big rock so it would be unfair to blame Lerner for the disquiet among the Villa faithful.

They have some really good players but a shit manager. They are a team who should be challenging for Europe (finishing within the top 8) but injuries and sub par seasons from some of their players have caused them to be in a precarious position.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby Squints » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:57 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:
They have some really good players but a shit manager. They are a team who should be challenging for Europe (finishing within the top 8) but injuries and sub par seasons from some of their players have caused them to be in a precarious position.

Christ. Replace "Europe" with "division" or "playoffs" and you could be talking about the Browns and not the Villains= by the way, a very cool nickname. And some will say replace good with.......
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby CleSportsTruth » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:16 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Are both fan bases miserable and self-loathing because of Lerner or is he just attracted to those type of people?

The midlands is the most miserable and despondent spot on the face of this big rock so it would be unfair to blame Lerner for the disquiet among the Villa faithful.

Indeed. McCleish, like Shurmur, manages not to lose, instead of going all-out to win. Very negative, uninspired play. Huh, sounds like the Browns.
CleSportsTruth

Unread postby Triple-S » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:55 pm

Skip to about 3 minutes in for a surprise.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:01 pm

Boy o boy does he look tough there. He looks so tough i'll bet he runs out there on that field and kisses another dude.
"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it!" -Al Czervik
LakeErieWarriors

Favorite Player: Browns Draft
Least Favorite Player: Browns Training Camp

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:04 am

Do Aston Villa fans get to have " Mother of all Draft Parties" every year?....and are they moving up to get RGIII?
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby Govbarney » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:37 pm

pod2dawg wrote:Do Aston Villa fans get to have " Mother of all Draft Parties" every year?....and are they moving up to get RGIII?

With his short stature I project RG3 to be a mid level striker at best. Villa needs midfielders more then anything.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL