Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:42 pm

Got it, I just looked it up, sounds pretty good, I'm going to look into that. Yeah obviously the last thing I want is some jackass hand cranking the shit out of it and turning good homebrew into a foamy mess.

So I would guess in that set up either you dial in the amount of ice in the water or your stout comes out a little on the cold side and hits the right temp after a few min. in the hand?
User avatar
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element
 
Posts: 4158
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:57 am
Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:50 pm

JCoz wrote:Got it, I just looked it up, sounds pretty good, I'm going to look into that. Yeah obviously the last thing I want is some jackass hand cranking the shit out of it and turning good homebrew into a foamy mess.

So I would guess in that set up either you dial in the amount of ice in the water or your stout comes out a little on the cold side and hits the right temp after a few min. in the hand?


Yep. In fact, when were at Penn State two weeks ago we didn't run the stout through the chiller because the ambient air temperature was perfect for the stout. The Black IPA went through it but we could have honestly done without any cooling. Not always like that of course.

By the way, like a Reese's Cup accident, a mix of the Black IPA and the stout was ridiculously good.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22656
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:17 pm

Boom. Had a magnum of this stuff last night and was excellent. Schwarzbiers/Black Lagers are not for everyone, but this was one damn mighty fine brew.

Image
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
User avatar
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:35 pm
Location: Mentor
Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby Cleveland Matt » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:59 pm

Image

Just picked this up from the store going to wait for this thursday to crack it open for the Browns game.

Also if anyone is a member or has heard of a good beer of the month club.
Image
User avatar
Cleveland Matt
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:24 pm
Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:45 pm

Image

Image

Image
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Image
User avatar
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer
 
Posts: 6441
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Hampton, VA
Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:52 pm

The Mad Elf is mad good.

That may be the cream of the crop for me in terms of Christmas Ales.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22656
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby scott » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:51 am

Image

Opened up a King Henry tonight - good, but not exactly what I was hoping for. Anyone see this around C-town? I don't know how Goose Island distro is in Ohio.
User avatar
scott
 
Posts: 1038
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:09 pm
Location: New York
Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:50 pm

Muy Bueno
Image
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Image
User avatar
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer
 
Posts: 6441
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Hampton, VA
Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Re:

Unread postby Acriumpa » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:49 am

Cobra 40z...lol
Acriumpa
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:02 pm
Favorite Player: Colt McCoy
Least Favorite Player: Shawn Lauvao

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:07 pm

Another excellent Winter Warmer
Image

My order so far this year:

Mad Elf
Bell's
St. Benedicts
GLBC X-mas Ale

Rogue's Santa's Private Reserve and Pike Auld Acquaintance are working their way up there as well.

'Tis the season.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Image
User avatar
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer
 
Posts: 6441
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Hampton, VA
Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:45 pm

Also a fantastic winter warmer from 21st Amendment
Image
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Image
User avatar
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer
 
Posts: 6441
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Hampton, VA
Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby Doc » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:13 pm

Glad someone saw the Fireside Chat. Delicious...didn't know 21st Amendment made a Christmas Ale...excited because I got to go there while in SF in April...cool place and good beer. The Back in Black IPA is very good as well.

For Christmas Ales/Winter Warmers...I've tried many this year. Here's a quick list of my favorites...

-GLBC
-Crooked River Yuletide Ale
-Fireside Chat
-Rivertown (in Cincy) has a Christmas Ale that is really good. Lots of flavor, maybe too much? Good for one or 2, maybe too much flavor for 6.
-Hoppin Frog Frosted Frog 22oz
-Brew Kettle Winter Warmer
-Sierra Nevada Celebration

Hard pressed to pick a favorite, but I'd probably go Yuletide Ale. Really smooth, similar to GLBC, but a couple bucks cheaper. Also pissed I missed out on Mad Elf. It all sold out around Cleveland. I did try half a 22 from a gift pack, but need some more next year for a real opinion.
Doc
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:42 pm
Favorite Player: Matthew Dellavedova
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bosh

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby jb » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:43 pm

Went to VE in Boardman Saturday w/ the wife and neighbors. We all needed a cab home and Sunday was not pretty. The tap selection was strong.

Salted down far too many, but the Hellhound Ale from Dogfish Head was ah-mazing. I strongly advise you try some. It's a 10% skull buster. Also discovered a brewery I wasn't familiar with called Three Floyds. Nice product.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:19 pm

jb wrote: Also discovered a brewery I wasn't familiar with called Three Floyds. Nice product.


Muenster Indiana, great stuff. It is all over Chicago. Alpha King and Gumballhead are both quite tasty. Alpha King their IPA and Gumballhead is a Pale Wheat Ale. It'd be like pour Holy Moses and Burning River in a glass and drinking them together. Quite different, but quite good.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
User avatar
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy
 
Posts: 7059
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:19 am

Tried some Lagunitas Sucks Holiday Ale a few weeks back....thought it was fantastic.

Thinking of picking up a bottle of Brooklyn Black Ops. It's aged 4 months in bourbon barrels, bottled flat, and re-fermented with champagne yeast.

Anyone else had it and if so, is it worth a purchase?
jclvd_23
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:07 pm
Location: Gainesville, FL
Favorite Player: Jack Tatum
Least Favorite Player: Pittsburgh/UM/UF Fan

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:11 pm

jclvd_23 wrote:Tried some Lagunitas Sucks Holiday Ale a few weeks back....thought it was fantastic.

Thinking of picking up a bottle of Brooklyn Black Ops. It's aged 4 months in bourbon barrels, bottled flat, and re-fermented with champagne yeast.

Anyone else had it and if so, is it worth a purchase?


Black Ops is absolutely worth it. I've had it a number of times and never disappointing. Its expensive (I think $20 for a magnum) but no more outrageous than Sam Adams Infinium, which was also amazing.

FYI - I was allowed into Ballantine's beer cellar in Willoughby and not only got to see some rarities they will have on tap, but was able to purchase a number of select bottles they got from the distributor and aren't available retail. I got a magnum of New Glarus Raspberry Tart, 2 bottles of Two Brothers Bare Tree 2009, an aged bottle of Victory Dark Intrigue (its basically Victory Storm King aged in bourbon barrels), and a super rare Dutch IPA (forget the name). Anyone see that the Wine Vault in Willoughby is going out of business at the end of January? Almost all of their stock is 20%+ off. Make an effort to get there and you can stock up your wine cellar with good product at a huge discount.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
User avatar
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:35 pm
Location: Mentor
Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:16 pm

jb wrote:Went to VE in Boardman Saturday w/ the wife and neighbors. We all needed a cab home and Sunday was not pretty. The tap selection was strong.

Salted down far too many, but the Hellhound Ale from Dogfish Head was ah-mazing. I strongly advise you try some. It's a 10% skull buster. Also discovered a brewery I wasn't familiar with called Three Floyds. Nice product.


Awesome, awesome beer. Strong ale brewed with lemon peel or lemon grass and some other stuff. My brother and I shared a bottle a few months back and it was tasty. If you get a chance, try Dogfish Head Theobroma, Pangea, or Palo Santo Marron. Santo Marron is a 12% abv strong dark Brown Ale aged in Paraguayan Palo Santo wood.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
User avatar
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:35 pm
Location: Mentor
Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:15 pm

RickNashEquilibrium wrote:
jclvd_23 wrote:Tried some Lagunitas Sucks Holiday Ale a few weeks back....thought it was fantastic.

Thinking of picking up a bottle of Brooklyn Black Ops. It's aged 4 months in bourbon barrels, bottled flat, and re-fermented with champagne yeast.

Anyone else had it and if so, is it worth a purchase?


Black Ops is absolutely worth it. I've had it a number of times and never disappointing. Its expensive (I think $20 for a magnum) but no more outrageous than Sam Adams Infinium, which was also amazing.

FYI - I was allowed into Ballantine's beer cellar in Willoughby and not only got to see some rarities they will have on tap, but was able to purchase a number of select bottles they got from the distributor and aren't available retail. I got a magnum of New Glarus Raspberry Tart, 2 bottles of Two Brothers Bare Tree 2009, an aged bottle of Victory Dark Intrigue (its basically Victory Storm King aged in bourbon barrels), and a super rare Dutch IPA (forget the name). Anyone see that the Wine Vault in Willoughby is going out of business at the end of January? Almost all of their stock is 20%+ off. Make an effort to get there and you can stock up your wine cellar with good product at a huge discount.



Appreciate the info as always RNE. I've got the Black Ops on my list as well as a new chocolate milk stout from Terrapin.
jclvd_23
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:07 pm
Location: Gainesville, FL
Favorite Player: Jack Tatum
Least Favorite Player: Pittsburgh/UM/UF Fan

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:23 pm

RickNashEquilibrium wrote: Pangea, or Palo Santo Marron. Santo Marron is a 12% abv strong dark Brown Ale aged in Paraguayan Palo Santo wood.


I've had a bottle of this cooking for about 6 months now. Thinking this summer with blackened redfish or peppercorn steak.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Image
User avatar
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer
 
Posts: 6441
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Hampton, VA
Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:25 pm

jclvd_23 wrote:
RickNashEquilibrium wrote:
jclvd_23 wrote:Tried some Lagunitas Sucks Holiday Ale a few weeks back....thought it was fantastic.

Thinking of picking up a bottle of Brooklyn Black Ops. It's aged 4 months in bourbon barrels, bottled flat, and re-fermented with champagne yeast.

Anyone else had it and if so, is it worth a purchase?


Black Ops is absolutely worth it. I've had it a number of times and never disappointing. Its expensive (I think $20 for a magnum) but no more outrageous than Sam Adams Infinium, which was also amazing.

FYI - I was allowed into Ballantine's beer cellar in Willoughby and not only got to see some rarities they will have on tap, but was able to purchase a number of select bottles they got from the distributor and aren't available retail. I got a magnum of New Glarus Raspberry Tart, 2 bottles of Two Brothers Bare Tree 2009, an aged bottle of Victory Dark Intrigue (its basically Victory Storm King aged in bourbon barrels), and a super rare Dutch IPA (forget the name). Anyone see that the Wine Vault in Willoughby is going out of business at the end of January? Almost all of their stock is 20%+ off. Make an effort to get there and you can stock up your wine cellar with good product at a huge discount.



Appreciate the info as always RNE. I've got the Black Ops on my list as well as a new chocolate milk stout from Terrapin.


If you want a great milk stout, look for Southern Tier 2X which was released for the first time a few days before X-mas or Left Hand Milk Stout which IMO is the standard for all milk stouts.

BTW - if you are a fan of dark brews whether its a stout, strong dark ale, or robust porter, I highly suggest you get your hands on barrel aged North Coast Rasputin or Goose Island Big John. Has anyone tried Epic Brewing Big Bad Baptist?
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
User avatar
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:35 pm
Location: Mentor
Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:28 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
RickNashEquilibrium wrote: Pangea, or Palo Santo Marron. Santo Marron is a 12% abv strong dark Brown Ale aged in Paraguayan Palo Santo wood.


I've had a bottle of this cooking for about 6 months now. Thinking this summer with blackened redfish or peppercorn steak.


Shit is INSANE unique. Funny thing is, the first bottle I ever had was infected and it was hard to get another one considering the awful taste left on my palette. I ended up folding and trying it a few months later and fell in love. Easily one of my favorite big beers from any brewery.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
User avatar
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:35 pm
Location: Mentor
Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby jb » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:39 pm

RickNashEquilibrium wrote:
jb wrote:Went to VE in Boardman Saturday w/ the wife and neighbors. We all needed a cab home and Sunday was not pretty. The tap selection was strong.

Salted down far too many, but the Hellhound Ale from Dogfish Head was ah-mazing. I strongly advise you try some. It's a 10% skull buster. Also discovered a brewery I wasn't familiar with called Three Floyds. Nice product.


Awesome, awesome beer. Strong ale brewed with lemon peel or lemon grass and some other stuff. My brother and I shared a bottle a few months back and it was tasty. If you get a chance, try Dogfish Head Theobroma, Pangea, or Palo Santo Marron. Santo Marron is a 12% abv strong dark Brown Ale aged in Paraguayan Palo Santo wood.



Will do as long as you promise me Sting won't find me and kick my ass with his yoga.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:50 pm

RickNashEquilibrium wrote:
jclvd_23 wrote:
RickNashEquilibrium wrote:
jclvd_23 wrote:Tried some Lagunitas Sucks Holiday Ale a few weeks back....thought it was fantastic.

Thinking of picking up a bottle of Brooklyn Black Ops. It's aged 4 months in bourbon barrels, bottled flat, and re-fermented with champagne yeast.

Anyone else had it and if so, is it worth a purchase?


Black Ops is absolutely worth it. I've had it a number of times and never disappointing. Its expensive (I think $20 for a magnum) but no more outrageous than Sam Adams Infinium, which was also amazing.

FYI - I was allowed into Ballantine's beer cellar in Willoughby and not only got to see some rarities they will have on tap, but was able to purchase a number of select bottles they got from the distributor and aren't available retail. I got a magnum of New Glarus Raspberry Tart, 2 bottles of Two Brothers Bare Tree 2009, an aged bottle of Victory Dark Intrigue (its basically Victory Storm King aged in bourbon barrels), and a super rare Dutch IPA (forget the name). Anyone see that the Wine Vault in Willoughby is going out of business at the end of January? Almost all of their stock is 20%+ off. Make an effort to get there and you can stock up your wine cellar with good product at a huge discount.



Appreciate the info as always RNE. I've got the Black Ops on my list as well as a new chocolate milk stout from Terrapin.


If you want a great milk stout, look for Southern Tier 2X which was released for the first time a few days before X-mas or Left Hand Milk Stout which IMO is the standard for all milk stouts.

BTW - if you are a fan of dark brews whether its a stout, strong dark ale, or robust porter, I highly suggest you get your hands on barrel aged North Coast Rasputin or Goose Island Big John. Has anyone tried Epic Brewing Big Bad Baptist?



I've tried the Left Hand and the Rasputin. I don't believe Goose Island is available down here (Gainesville, FL), so I haven't had the opportunity of trying it yet.

Really enjoyed the Rasputin and I think I saw the Southern Tier 2X on the shelf. I'll have to check it out next time....appreciate the advice as always.
jclvd_23
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:07 pm
Location: Gainesville, FL
Favorite Player: Jack Tatum
Least Favorite Player: Pittsburgh/UM/UF Fan

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:58 pm

Quality. Peppery and rustic are an apt description. Sierra Nevada does a very good job for a "big" brewery.
Image
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Image
User avatar
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer
 
Posts: 6441
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Hampton, VA
Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby scott » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:40 pm

jclvd_23 wrote:
RickNashEquilibrium wrote:
jclvd_23 wrote:
RickNashEquilibrium wrote:
jclvd_23 wrote:Tried some Lagunitas Sucks Holiday Ale a few weeks back....thought it was fantastic.

Thinking of picking up a bottle of Brooklyn Black Ops. It's aged 4 months in bourbon barrels, bottled flat, and re-fermented with champagne yeast.

Anyone else had it and if so, is it worth a purchase?


Black Ops is absolutely worth it. I've had it a number of times and never disappointing. Its expensive (I think $20 for a magnum) but no more outrageous than Sam Adams Infinium, which was also amazing.

FYI - I was allowed into Ballantine's beer cellar in Willoughby and not only got to see some rarities they will have on tap, but was able to purchase a number of select bottles they got from the distributor and aren't available retail. I got a magnum of New Glarus Raspberry Tart, 2 bottles of Two Brothers Bare Tree 2009, an aged bottle of Victory Dark Intrigue (its basically Victory Storm King aged in bourbon barrels), and a super rare Dutch IPA (forget the name). Anyone see that the Wine Vault in Willoughby is going out of business at the end of January? Almost all of their stock is 20%+ off. Make an effort to get there and you can stock up your wine cellar with good product at a huge discount.



Appreciate the info as always RNE. I've got the Black Ops on my list as well as a new chocolate milk stout from Terrapin.


If you want a great milk stout, look for Southern Tier 2X which was released for the first time a few days before X-mas or Left Hand Milk Stout which IMO is the standard for all milk stouts.

BTW - if you are a fan of dark brews whether its a stout, strong dark ale, or robust porter, I highly suggest you get your hands on barrel aged North Coast Rasputin or Goose Island Big John. Has anyone tried Epic Brewing Big Bad Baptist?



I've tried the Left Hand and the Rasputin. I don't believe Goose Island is available down here (Gainesville, FL), so I haven't had the opportunity of trying it yet.

Really enjoyed the Rasputin and I think I saw the Southern Tier 2X on the shelf. I'll have to check it out next time....appreciate the advice as always.


I've always been a fan of high ABV beers. Been drinking barleywines and stouts for years. With a lot of breweries producing really interesting big beers aged in barrels that can benefit with some age in the bottle. I've put together a small cellar, or what I can do in an 850 sq ft. 9th floor apartment.

The bottle of Marshall Zhukov on the top shelf is from Cigar City. You should be able to find that in Fla and it is on par with Old Rasputin. If you can find it barrel aged, it is as good as Black Ops, or any of the Goose Island stouts.

Image
User avatar
scott
 
Posts: 1038
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:09 pm
Location: New York
Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:40 pm

This is the best Christmas Ale I've ever had. Beats Corsendonk, Great Lakes, Scaldis, and Anderson Valley. Simply put, the balance of spice and sweetness is perfect. If you don't like the spicier beers like Great Lakes, Avery Hibernation, Southern Tier Pumking or any of those that are heavy on the cinnamon/nutmeg, then this isn't for you. That being said, if you love those beers, this is guaranteed to move to the top of your list.

Image

Also, my sources hooked me up last night. I got the last 4 bottles at a ridiculous discount of $7/magnum (normally $13-$14 per)
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
User avatar
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:35 pm
Location: Mentor
Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:53 am

scott wrote:The bottle of Marshall Zhukov on the top shelf is from Cigar City. You should be able to find that in Fla and it is on par with Old Rasputin. If you can find it barrel aged, it is as good as Black Ops, or any of the Goose Island stouts.


Scott, I will be in Orlando for work from Saturday through Tuesday. What beers from Cigar City do you suggest? Ive heard great things about Jai Alai and Zhukov but am curious about the others. Actually, Ill take any advice in terms of beer in Orlando. Read that "Red Light Red Light" is a haven for Belgians, but am looking for more of a loud noisy pub type atmosphere. Can't wait to try Ceviche Tapas bar tomorrow night. Was originally planning on going to Kres Steakhouse or Normans but went to Red on Tuesday and Normans, while the food is probably oustanding, is a bit steep and high brow for the type of night my coworkers and I are looking for.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
User avatar
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:35 pm
Location: Mentor
Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby scott » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:28 pm

RickNashEquilibrium wrote:
scott wrote:The bottle of Marshall Zhukov on the top shelf is from Cigar City. You should be able to find that in Fla and it is on par with Old Rasputin. If you can find it barrel aged, it is as good as Black Ops, or any of the Goose Island stouts.


Scott, I will be in Orlando for work from Saturday through Tuesday. What beers from Cigar City do you suggest? Ive heard great things about Jai Alai and Zhukov but am curious about the others. Actually, Ill take any advice in terms of beer in Orlando. Read that "Red Light Red Light" is a haven for Belgians, but am looking for more of a loud noisy pub type atmosphere. Can't wait to try Ceviche Tapas bar tomorrow night. Was originally planning on going to Kres Steakhouse or Normans but went to Red on Tuesday and Normans, while the food is probably oustanding, is a bit steep and high brow for the type of night my coworkers and I are looking for.


I've heard great things about Red Light Red Light. Great vintage beer menu if you feel like getting something special and dropping some cash. Don't know about the atmosphere, but it is probably a good place to start a night. I was in Orlando for work a few days last Spring and didn't manage to make it here.

Jai Alai is good, so is their Maduro Brown Ale. I can find both in 6-packs regularly. The drug store at the end of my block is carrying Jai Alai right now, but at $14 a six, I can find an IPA I like just as well that is made locally for less. I'm not a hophead, Most good IPAs taste about the same to me.

Probably easy to find both of those on tap in Orlando. Other than that in NYC we get some of the large format beers from Cigar City. Guava Grove seems to elicit strong feelings, beer fans either love it or hate it. I haven't tried it yet. Along with Zhukov they have another RIS called Hunaphu that is nearly impossible to get. The other large formats around right now, Sugar Plum, Winter Warmer and Sea Bass, are not worth chasing down, I hear.
User avatar
scott
 
Posts: 1038
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:09 pm
Location: New York
Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:07 am

scott wrote:
RickNashEquilibrium wrote:
scott wrote:The bottle of Marshall Zhukov on the top shelf is from Cigar City. You should be able to find that in Fla and it is on par with Old Rasputin. If you can find it barrel aged, it is as good as Black Ops, or any of the Goose Island stouts.


Scott, I will be in Orlando for work from Saturday through Tuesday. What beers from Cigar City do you suggest? Ive heard great things about Jai Alai and Zhukov but am curious about the others. Actually, Ill take any advice in terms of beer in Orlando. Read that "Red Light Red Light" is a haven for Belgians, but am looking for more of a loud noisy pub type atmosphere. Can't wait to try Ceviche Tapas bar tomorrow night. Was originally planning on going to Kres Steakhouse or Normans but went to Red on Tuesday and Normans, while the food is probably oustanding, is a bit steep and high brow for the type of night my coworkers and I are looking for.


I've heard great things about Red Light Red Light. Great vintage beer menu if you feel like getting something special and dropping some cash. Don't know about the atmosphere, but it is probably a good place to start a night. I was in Orlando for work a few days last Spring and didn't manage to make it here.

Jai Alai is good, so is their Maduro Brown Ale. I can find both in 6-packs regularly. The drug store at the end of my block is carrying Jai Alai right now, but at $14 a six, I can find an IPA I like just as well that is made locally for less. I'm not a hophead, Most good IPAs taste about the same to me.

Probably easy to find both of those on tap in Orlando. Other than that in NYC we get some of the large format beers from Cigar City. Guava Grove seems to elicit strong feelings, beer fans either love it or hate it. I haven't tried it yet. Along with Zhukov they have another RIS called Hunaphu that is nearly impossible to get. The other large formats around right now, Sugar Plum, Winter Warmer and Sea Bass, are not worth chasing down, I hear.


I live in Gainesville, FL and I agree on the Jai Alai and Maduro Brown, although they are cheaper up here at 9.99 on the Jai Alai and 8.99 on the Maduro per 6.

The only other Cigar City brew I've tried is the Good Gourd that is out in the fall. It was pretty solid as well although I prefer some other "pumpkin" styled brews over it (pumking ale and the Dogfish punkin ale).

Let me know if you try the Guava Grove. I've seen it on the shelves but have yet to give it a shot and don't know of anyone that has.
jclvd_23
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:07 pm
Location: Gainesville, FL
Favorite Player: Jack Tatum
Least Favorite Player: Pittsburgh/UM/UF Fan

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby jb » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:44 am

Nice , mellow, Sunday night wind down at Vintage Estates in Boardman.

Tröegs' Tröegenator dopplebock. Um, damn.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby paulcousineau » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:41 pm

Conway's Irish Ale from GLBC is on the shelves...

Though X-Mas Ale gets all the pub, Conway's is my favorite seasonal from GLBC, with Oktoberfest coming in at a close second. Started working on the 1st sixer of the year yesterday of Conway's and there's a reason that it's one of GLBC's award winners year after year.
Indians Fever...Be a Believer!
User avatar
paulcousineau
Celebrity
 
Posts: 604
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:21 am
Location: West Park

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:17 pm

Been drinking alot of Dead Guy lately, anyone else like the stuff?

Image
User avatar
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element
 
Posts: 4158
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:57 am
Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:52 pm

Image

10% ABV. Bars around here cut you off at two 22 oz. glasses. Probably a good idea.

http://www.bellsbeer.com/brands/19-Hopslam%20Ale
User avatar
exiledbuckeye
 
Posts: 1561
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:12 pm
Location: Michigan
Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby scott » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:27 am

exiledbuckeye wrote:Image

10% ABV. Bars around here cut you off at two 22 oz. glasses. Probably a good idea.

http://www.bellsbeer.com/brands/19-Hopslam%20Ale


Would like to try it. They don't distribute here.

Started the night with a bomber of Victory at Sea. Impressed, find one of these if they offer it in Ohio. Ending with a Founder's Breakfast Stout.
User avatar
scott
 
Posts: 1038
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:09 pm
Location: New York
Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:41 am

scott wrote: Ending with a Founder's Breakfast Stout.


Nice.

That shit is on tap at Champs in State College, PA and it is tremendous, isn't it?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22656
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:41 am

Image

For those of you who like Witbiers/White Ales and Wheats, this is a very strange take on the style. Almost too sweet, tons of sweeter citrus but not quite lemony. I can't put my finger on it but the citrus is almost a mix of orange/lemon/starfruit. Decent amount of sediment gives a good Belgian funk to it but not overbearing. I would reserve drinking this in the summer as its quite refreshing. I was happy to see Lost Coast out of Eureka, CA started shipping to OH because they get good reviews and make rather unique beers not unlike 3 Floyds. If you have a chance to try Lost Coast Winterbraun, do so as its a great chocolate/winter warmer mix although its considered an English brown ale.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
User avatar
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:35 pm
Location: Mentor
Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby scott » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:22 am

peeker643 wrote:
scott wrote: Ending with a Founder's Breakfast Stout.


Nice.

That shit is on tap at Champs in State College, PA and it is tremendous, isn't it?



Breakfast Stout is great beer. The Victory at Sea is an imperial porter with vanilla and coffee added. The first sip was delicious. By the end of a 22 oz bottle it was to much. Never get tired of FBS.
User avatar
scott
 
Posts: 1038
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:09 pm
Location: New York
Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:47 pm

scott wrote:Breakfast Stout is great beer. The Victory at Sea is an imperial porter with vanilla and coffee added. The first sip was delicious. By the end of a 22 oz bottle it was to much. Never get tired of FBS.


If you like FBS, I cannot suggest Speedway Stout by Alesmith (San Diego) enough. Brewed with Kona beans its on par with FBS in terms of pure deliciousness/drinkability.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
User avatar
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:35 pm
Location: Mentor
Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:10 pm

Needed a quick buzz. Good beer.

Image
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Image
User avatar
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer
 
Posts: 6441
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Hampton, VA
Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby jb » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:53 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:Needed a quick buzz. Good beer.

Image



One of my go-to's. Always delicious.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:15 pm

Nothing cures baby duty like hops.

Image
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Image
User avatar
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer
 
Posts: 6441
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Hampton, VA
Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby JJN » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:44 am

Image

Image
JJN
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:25 pm
Location: Erie, PA
Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: David Stern

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby scott » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:08 am

Kentucky Breakfast Stout was released yesterday. If you can find this at the local shop pick it up. $20 per 4 pack but worth it.
User avatar
scott
 
Posts: 1038
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:09 pm
Location: New York
Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:13 am

Monday is Oberon release day.
User avatar
exiledbuckeye
 
Posts: 1561
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:12 pm
Location: Michigan
Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:06 am

My spring/summer go-tos:

Image

Image

Image
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
User avatar
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:35 pm
Location: Mentor
Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:04 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:Nothing cures baby duty like hops.

Image


I just grabbed a six of this last night. Had two of them and then ended my evening with a Great Lakes Dopplebock. Always a good sign when stuff comes in just a 4 pack.
User avatar
Love child of shawn kemp
 
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 10:37 am
Favorite Player: Flash Gordon
Least Favorite Player: TWofA

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:07 pm

Just had one of these that has been cooking for 6 months. Mellowed the flavor, brought out the maple undertones. Kept mine in the fridge, I've got a friend that kept his around 60*. Interested to compare notes.

Image
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Image
User avatar
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer
 
Posts: 6441
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Hampton, VA
Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:59 pm

Stopped off and picked up a growler of this stuff:

Image

Brewery from the Outer Banks
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Image
User avatar
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer
 
Posts: 6441
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Hampton, VA
Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:22 pm

Image

Duce duce to start off the game. Working on the domestic nectar now.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Image
User avatar
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer
 
Posts: 6441
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Hampton, VA
Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Re: What kind of beer you been drinkin' lately?

Unread postby swerb » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:06 pm

Love Stone IPA.

Good to hear Oberon will be released soon ... one of my favorites.

Been drinking nothing but Conways at home for the last month.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17918
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

PreviousNext

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests