Text Size

The Neutral Zone

Official Jackets-centric Trade Deadline Thread

The place to talk hockey. NHL banter, discussions on the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Lake Erie Monsters, and college hockey.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, skatingtripods

Official Jackets-centric Trade Deadline Thread

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:29 pm

I'll just keep all rumors neat and tidy in here.

That being said, we now know what Scott Howson's plan is...

Aportzline Aaron Portzline
Dispatch: #CBJ GM Scott Howson intends to be a buyer before Monday's 3 p.m. trade deadline: "Our team has put itself in a position ...to challenge for a playoff spot. We want to try and help if we can; we want to try to add to the team."

Meanwhile, Kovalev waives his no-trade clause to go to Pittsburgh for a 7th round draft pick. I had him way overvalued. But, I doubt he waives a NTC to go to Columbus.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Official Jackets-centric Trade Deadline Thread

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:03 pm

Latest from ESPN is the Jackets are talking to FLA about Bryan McCabe.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:48 pm

As I'm sure they mentioned, or maybe they didn't because they're ESPN, McCabe has a no movement clause. Hard to imagine he'd waive it to go to Columbus with a handful of other suitors.

I'd prefer they go get a right handed defenseman, especially because I'd really only play McCabe over Methot at this point. Maybe over Clitsome.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Govbarney » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:10 am

Another ESPN story...

"With Columbus a dark horse to make the playoffs, the Blue Jackets can look to the future and put some talented building blocks in place on defense. One team that has a wealth of fresh-faced blueliners is the New York Islanders, who boast promising youngsters such as 24-year-old Andrew MacDonald, rookies Travis Hamonic and Ty Wishart and prospect Calvin de Haan. Perhaps the most intriguing of these is the 20-year-old Hamonic, who has steadily filled in alongside MacDonald on the Islanders' first pairing as if he were a seasoned pro. But what to give up to a team likewise looking to build for the future? How about highly skilled 2008 sixth overall pick Nikita Filatov, who's once again buried in the depths of the Blue Jackets' doghouse? While Filatov seems to have no future in Columbus, the organization that revitalized the career of "attitude problem" Rob Schremp seems the ideal destination."
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:11 am

I can't see Filatov moving for a mostly unproven player. Howson admits a mistake there. If he moves him for a widely-recognized name, it can be justified.

Creative by ESPN, anyway.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:46 pm

The Jackets claimed Craig Rivet today. I really like this move. He's running out of gas, but he's a fairly cheap solution for the rest of the season and has more left than Commodore. He's a veteran right handed shot with playoff experience and adds a decent physical presence. Good move for Howson.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:55 pm

Portzline says CBJ's top scout Bob Strumm is at the Kings/Avs game. I have to think he's looking at Milan Hejduk and John-Michael Liles.

I wouldn't be enamored with them adding Liles. Hejduk makes them a completely different team and one you don't want to play in the playoffs.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby swerb » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:28 am

"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:07 pm

The Liles train is picking up steam. Portzline tweeting that Liles is close with both assistant coaches Bob Boughner and Dan Hinote. Also shares an agent with Rick Nash.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:52 pm

Aportzline Aaron Portzline
Sportsnet reporting that Klesla has been traded to Phoenix for Upshall and Lepisto.

If this deal is true, I absolutely love it. Upshall's a fiesty SOB with an ability to get in high traffic areas and score goals. I like Lepisto a lot too. Very steady player.

I'm liking this a lot.

Confirmed by TSN's Bob McKenzie.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby StewieG » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:45 pm

Just saw this. Initial reaction is I love it. I've always liked Upshall. Don't know much about Lepisto though. Can he move the puck at all?

Upshall should go on the Calvert-Umberger line. He adds a lot of speed to the lineup. Very good move, IMO.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:15 pm

StewieG wrote:Just saw this. Initial reaction is I love it. I've always liked Upshall. Don't know much about Lepisto though. Can he move the puck at all?

Upshall should go on the Calvert-Umberger line. He adds a lot of speed to the lineup. Very good move, IMO.

Lepisto's a very good even strength/PK defenseman. Responsible first pass out of the zone. He won't contribute at all on the powerplay, though. I think Clitsome will get an enhanced role on the PP now.

I like Lepisto a lot. He's responsible. He's a younger Hejda type guy with better puck moving skills.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby StewieG » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:18 pm

Nice. Now I like the deal that much more. And if they don't work out, that cap space is free. Just can't screw up and get a guy like Moreau with it.
StewieG

Unread postby StewieG » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:00 pm

Jackets also made a minor league deal.

Tom Sestito goes to Philly for Greg Moore and Michael Chaput.

Chaput looks like a decent prospect. 18 y/o with 55 points in 68 games.
StewieG

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:21 pm

Howson, outside of what LA did, improved him team the most today of the Western Conference teams. I don't think they need to worry about LA for a playoff spot because LA should come in 5th or 6th IMO.

Upshall provides a dimension of speed, could play with Calvert right now. He's a kid who plays in to Arniel's system of speed and creativity up front. Lepisto helps them advance the puck up the ice. I wish they had gotten a better PP QB, though they might give Lepisto a chance on it with Stralman to see what he can do. He has not played much for PHX on the PP, so maybe he can flourish with CBJ.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:20 pm

a little disappointed they couldn't swing a deal for a defender who can score better then Lepisto. I think the question that should be asked is has this team just became weaker in a position they where already weak in by replacing Klesla with Lepisto.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:59 pm

Govbarney wrote:a little disappointed they couldn't swing a deal for a defender who can score better then Lepisto. I think the question that should be asked is has this team just became weaker in a position they where already weak in by replacing Klesla with Lepisto.

He's a better puck mover than Methot. That's who he will go in for. The problem now is that Stralman's out 3-4 weeks and they don't have anybody who can run the PP except for Russell.

Like I said, I think Clitsome gets an expanded role.

Team is 8-4-2 without Klesla in this last stretch. They should be fine without him. Upshall's a key piece that you're missing. He's an energy guy with great speed and a little scoring touch. He'll complement Calvert nicely on a speedy line, likely with Brassard when he gets back.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:44 pm

I'll just bump last year's

RDS, a French Canadian sports outlet, reporting that Rick Nash is on the trade block. Howson, through a spokesman, declined comment according to Aaron Portzline.

Let the fun begin.

Also, I say, send Jeff Carter to LA for Dustin Penner (cap room for LA, UFA at season's end) + goaltender Jonathan Bernier + Rob Scuderi (cap room for next season). Jackets add Curtis Sanford and maybe LA adds a 3rd rounder for taking Scuderi's contract.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:58 pm

This story is now trending in both Columbus and Toronto. One potential partner I keep hearing about is the Rangers.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:21 pm

I should have a front page piece on Nash on the trade block coming up shortly. It's added to the site, just not published yet.

The Rangers are an interesting fit. I would think the Jackets would demand one of del Zotto/McDonagh and then some combination of Chris Kreider/Derek Stepan and a first rounder or two. Getting a really solid defenseman might get them to back off their goaltender demands. Of course, then, in an ideal world, they trade Carter for one of Schneider/Bernier/Enroth/Markstrom.

Not sure the Rangers would be willing to part with the NHL pieces Columbus would want.

Jackets would also have to take back salary. No idea who that might be. Maybe a guy like Wolski.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:51 am

Here's my TCF article on the Nash trade talks.

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/misc/gen ... rade-block
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:26 pm

They need to do something, watching these guy play live is pathetic.... and i'd like my money back. They need a "buttfucking quitters" guarantee with season ticket holders. If the team plays like gutless, spineless, dickless quitters, we get our fucking money back.

It's ok, the Clippers season starts soon (I never ever thought i'd be saying that).
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:57 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:They need to do something, watching these guy play live is pathetic.... and i'd like my money back. They need a "buttfucking quitters" guarantee with season ticket holders. If the team plays like gutless, spineless, dickless quitters, we get our fucking money back.

They've lacked an identity since forever. Too soft, but not skilled enough. It's sad to watch.

The beauty of trading Nash is that they should get three or four roster players who will immediately help and maybe a future first rounder who will pan out. That's what people need to realize here. They have so many needs that one guy can't address them all.

In a city spoiled with winning from OSU, the Clippers, and to a far lesser extent, the Crew, the Blue Jackets are going to fall into obscurity if they don't find a way to re-assert themselves into the Columbus sports landscape.

Getting a good return on Nash can do that. You still need one or two superstars to compete every night in the NHL, which the Jackets would obviously lack at this stage, but you also need respectable talent surrounding those guys. Columbus has never had that.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:54 pm

Nash gave the Blue Jackets a list of teams he'd go to...

Boston, San Jose, LA, Toronto, New York Rangers believed to be the 5 on it.

http://www.thescore.com/home/articles/2 ... ty-listing

Boston's a hard fit for both teams. Boston doesn't really have what the Jackets would want and they probably don't want to touch most of their current roster. Plus, there aren't many tradeable contracts to fit Nash's cap hit. They have a couple interesting prospects in Jordan Caron (RW) and Doug Hamilton (D, 2011 1st round pick).

San Jose would love the chance at Nash, but I'm not sure they have the necessary assets. The Sharks could use another big bodied, skilled forward like Nash. Most of their decent prospect talent is already on the roster, but none of it has superstar potential. If, and this is a small if, the Blue Jackets could pry Logan Couture away, they might have to pull the trigger.

Los Angeles still remains the ideal fit for the Blue Jackets. They can get a goaltender in Jonathan Bernier, LA has a couple bad contracts they could move to fit Nash's cap hit, and they have three excellent defenseman prospects (Voinov, Forbort, Deslauriers) who Columbus would all gladly take.

Toronto would be a tough sell for all parties involved. The Maple Leafs could obviously use Nash, and he is a Toronto boy, but Brian Burke's team isn't exactly a contender like the others. He's already taken shit for mortgaging the future in getting Phil Kessel for Tyler Seguin and another 1st rounder (the aforementioned Doug Hamilton). Adding Nash isn't really his MO. Nazem Kadri does project as a first or second line center. Luke Schenn is probably the contract that would move. But that doesn't really solve Columbus's needs.

New York Rangers are a decent fit. John Buccigross asked on Twitter today if the Rangers fans would give up Michael Del Zotto, Brandon Dubinsky and Chris Kreider for Nash. That would be an excellent return. They'd dangle Carter to the loser in the Nash sweepstakes to try and get a goaltender, but they'd add three legitimate NHL pieces for Nash. The Rangers would need to get additional cap room.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:50 am

The thing is, the city isn't even demanding a championship caliber team. We just want a team that looks like it gives a shit and plays hard. I'd rather have a team full of Jody Shelleys than Antoine Vermettes. It's been over a decade of organizational ineptitude that makes the Browns look like they've got their shit together. Just about every trade and signing has backfired....... Guys like Anson Carter, Jeff Carter, Fredrik Modin, Foote, Vermette, none of them work out.

The city supported them amazingly through the first 7 years of absolute shit hockey. A .500 team that plays hard will put the casual hockey fan back in a seat.

And 1 major title since 1968 taint exactly spoiled. We aren't demanding Stanley Cups, just give us a team with balls...... cuz this current team should be sponsored by Vagisil.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby StewieG » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:33 am

The drafting is where this team has really hurt. In 10 years, they've drafted one guy who's ever made an all-star game. One. The number of first round whiffs is staggering. Picard. Brule. Leclaire. Filatov. I'm not including Zherdev because he did have some decent seasons.

The drafting has been better as of late, but still not good enough. The franchises failures stars with the draft, IMO.
StewieG

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:55 am

Speaking of the Jackets, I received an email from the Monsters giving free tickets to a Blue Jackets game. Only problem is the password needed isn't listed in the email.

Anyone receive this email? Am I just completely blind, or did they not put the password in there?
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby Govbarney » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:57 am

I keep going back and forth on whether trading Nash would be a good idea or not. Who knows what kind of talent your going to receive in return, its such a crap shoot. What I do know is I would not trust Howson to pick the toilet paper in the Arena stalls, let alone allowing him to make the biggest trade in franchise history.

So maybe its best just to wait till the offseason before they think about pulling the trigger on a Nash trade. Maybe by than ownership will wise up and ditch Howson.

In the mean time I would see if there is anyway to get LA to bite on a deal involving a Carter for Jonathan Bernier swap. I know they have interest in teaming him up with Brad Richardson.

SideNote: I received that email as well the password it was a #
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:12 pm

StewieG wrote:The drafting is where this team has really hurt. In 10 years, they've drafted one guy who's ever made an all-star game. One. The number of first round whiffs is staggering. Picard. Brule. Leclaire. Filatov. I'm not including Zherdev because he did have some decent seasons.

The drafting has been better as of late, but still not good enough. The franchises failures stars with the draft, IMO.

Yep. Agree a lot with this. It's because they never have had an identity, so they don't know what kind of players they want to draft. They tried to acquire skill guys in the draft and fill out the rest of the team with depth + Nash. It doesn't work that way.

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Speaking of the Jackets, I received an email from the Monsters giving free tickets to a Blue Jackets game. Only problem is the password needed isn't listed in the email.

Anyone receive this email? Am I just completely blind, or did they not put the password in there?

Have not gotten any email. It's probably for the Colorado game next Friday. Contact the Monsters front office.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:25 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Speaking of the Jackets, I received an email from the Monsters giving free tickets to a Blue Jackets game. Only problem is the password needed isn't listed in the email.

Have not gotten any email. It's probably for the Colorado game next Friday. Contact the Monsters front office.

That is one, and one on March 24. Just realized I can't go to either one anyway, but it would have been nice to have been sent the correct email!
GodHatesClevelandSport

Unread postby Govbarney » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:13 pm

I tried to use the password for the Avs game next week, and of course I got a error message on the Ticketmaster site.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:27 pm

haha, the correction email will hit your inbox shortly. The email was sent in error, there are no free tickets.
Love child of shawn kemp

Favorite Player: Flash Gordon
Least Favorite Player: TWofA

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:43 pm

I just got it! Figured as much.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:13 pm

Domino #1 falls.

Antoine Vermette traded to Phoenix for Ottawa's 2nd round pick 2012, Phoenix 5th 2013 (becomes 4th if PHX wins a playoff series in 2012) and goaltender Curtis McElhinney.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:17 pm

Reaction to Vermette trade:

Guy really underachieved with the Jackets because a lot was asked of him. He fits well into Phoenix's system. I think it's a strong move for them. The Jackets get a 2nd rounder in a mediocre draft and get a backup goaltender. Along with 3.75M of cap space per year. Vermette was signed for the next 3 seasons.

Edit: Scratch the speculation. McElhinney is injured and not expected to play. The Coyotes were at the maximum NHL contract limit of 50 and needed flexibility.

Edit x2: One real big benefit to this trade is that Todd Richards can't possibly find ways to scratch Ryan Johansen now. His development is the most important thing going forward in terms of on the ice. Off the ice, well, Howson can't screw up whatever he winds up doing by Monday at 3.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby swerb » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:27 pm

Been hearing DelZotto/Dubinsky rumors from the NYR for #61. Any validity to that?
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:41 pm

swerb wrote:Been hearing DelZotto/Dubinsky rumors from the NYR for #61. Any validity to that?

Seems to be.

Del Zotto, Dubinsky, and Kreider has been the rumor. Kreider's currently at Boston College. Been on a few US World Juniors teams. Expected to be a power forward type at the next level.

As I wrote in my column which should go up later tonight, the beauty of that deal with NYR is that they're cutting NHL salary off the cap so it works better to fit Nash. Other trade partners would have to give Columbus a bad contract (Dubinsky's underachieving, but still a solid player) or really work to fit Nash into their future cap plans.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:11 pm

Not that it means anything, but last Sunday during the CBJ v. Rangers game at MSG the fans where chanting "We don't want you!" every time Nash would touch the puck. There is a vocal minority of Rangers fans who don't want to mess with the teams chemistry by adding Nash.

Sidenote: Last night at Nationwide the Arch city Army was chanting "We Want Nasher!" every time he touched the puck.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:13 pm

@incarceratedbob tweets that LAKings & CBJ have heated up talks tonight #Nash (source States) deal is close (90% Done)”
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:12 pm

Govbarney wrote:@incarceratedbob tweets that LAKings & CBJ have heated up talks tonight #Nash (source States) deal is close (90% Done)”

No idea how legit that guy is, but it wouldn't shock me. I keep reading that Bernier doesn't have the trade value that we think he does.

If the Jackets get Jack Johnson or Dustin Brown along with Bernier, Howson will have done his job. Deal would include more than just that, but those are two pieces to build around.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:00 pm

Twitter abuzz with Jeff Carter to LA rumors. Also Carter to TOR.

Hope nothing breaks until I get home, but it won't work that way.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby StewieG » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:32 pm

Jeff Carter traded to LA Kings for D Jack Johnson and a 2012 1st round pick, per Portzline
StewieG

Unread postby StewieG » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:34 pm

Jackets get the pick in 2013 if Kings miss playoffs this year. If Kings make the playoffs, Jackets can choose to use it either in 2012 or 2013
StewieG

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:05 pm

StewieG wrote:Jackets get the pick in 2013 if Kings miss playoffs this year. If Kings make the playoffs, Jackets can choose to use it either in 2012 or 2013

Per Portzline, Columbus actually has until two picks before LA is on the clock for the 2012 NHL Entry Draft to determine if they want the 2012 or 2013 pick.

Analysis coming shortly.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:08 am

skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby swerb » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:52 am

Love Jack Johnson. Love the trade. Carter signing was a disaster from day one. Love what Johnson brings to the table with his youth, upside, demeanor, way he plays ... always really enjoyed watching him.

Seems like this deal raises the bar a little for what they may get back for Nash, who also has to go. I do think Nash would be a GREAT addition to NYR or San Jose. I think he will thrive in a new setting, with better surrounding parts, and without having to be a leader. Just not in Nash's makeup.

I've been throwing $10 here and there on the Rangers to win it all since the beginning of the season (then 25-1, now like 7-1). I hope he's moved there. DelZotto and Jack Johnson would be a dreamy duo.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:21 am

Its great to get JJ and a 1st round pick with an option, but this doesn't mitigate how ridiculously bad management is from top to bottom. As Adam put it, we basically traded Jake, 1 good 1st round pick, a 3rd round pick, for an underachieving defenseman and a worse 1st round pick. Nothing like covering up a terrible decision with a somewhat better than average trade. Its deals/decisions like this that are making this team spin the wheels in the mud. Deals like this set franchises back years because A)they can't identify what they want to do in terms of a roster B)its an obvious sign of mismanaging assets. Joke of a GM, joke of a franchise, and I still love 'em. Just like the Clowns.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby Govbarney » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:30 am

Its disappointing Howson couldn't pry Jonathan Bernier from LA...
LA must think pretty highly of there backup.

From what I have gathered living down here the overwhelming sentiment in Columbus is not to trade Nash. Businesses are hanging up "Keep Nash" signs, Fans showing up to games are chanting his praises, and for the first time since the one playoff run, a city dominated by all things Buckeye has been preoccupied with CBJ talk on sports radio. So unless Howson is totally and utterly blown away with a epic proposal , I don't see a trade happening , out of fear of further fan backlash.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:48 pm

I think Howson had the right intentions when he got Jeff Carter, the whole thing just didn't work out. Like I said, Carter's trade stock was going to continue to fall. He's just not a winning player. Great talent, zero work ethic.

I'll say this: Howson certainly underestimated the stigmas attached to Carter in terms of his character. The Jackets were not going to have Philly-like success. If they made the playoffs, they were going to sneak in as a 7 or 8 seed and get rolled by DET or SJ. To be honest, I think Howson overreacted when he saw that a talented player like Carter became available and he needed to give his captain somebody special to play with. There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes and I have questions as to if Carter milked his foot injury to not play on such a horrible team.

Even Peter Laviolette couldn't deal with him, and he's an excellent coach. How could Scott Arniel and Todd Richards, on a team devoid of leadership, handle a guy like Carter? They couldn't.

The Jackets got a good character player with leftover potential in Johnson and a 1st to possibly move up in the 2013 draft if they don't take this year's pick.

Was it less of a return than they traded away for Carter? Probably, because I think Couturier will be a terrific NHL player. But it had to be the best offer out there.

Howson's job is to improve the team. From a talent perspective, he did that when he traded for Carter. What he failed to do was look at what it would do from all angles.

I still think Nash goes before Monday. Dustin Brown's availability now from LA makes a Nash deal more difficult. Brown has about 40% of the cap hit that Rick Nash has and has the ability to put up probably 85-90% of his production. He could be a lot more valuable in this market with CBA talks coming up in August.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Govbarney » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:07 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
Govbarney wrote:@incarceratedbob tweets that LAKings & CBJ have heated up talks tonight #Nash (source States) deal is close (90% Done)”

No idea how legit that guy is, but it wouldn't shock me. I keep reading that Bernier doesn't have the trade value that we think he does.

If the Jackets get Jack Johnson or Dustin Brown along with Bernier, Howson will have done his job. Deal would include more than just that, but those are two pieces to build around.

Now he insists the Nash to Rangers deal is done, stating it will be announced tommorow.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Next

Return to The Neutral Zone