Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Key and Peele

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Key and Peele

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:52 pm

I gave these guys a shot, along with "It's always sunny..", and was pleasently surprised

I've seen people try to compare it to "Chappelle's Show", and I don't think that's fair. The sketches are more subtle, and seem to take a more absurd/weird angle more than kind of a racial humor angle.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: Key and Peele

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:40 pm

I was watching Workaholics one day. I laughed.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:55 pm

I apparently don't watch enough TV b/c I've never heard of either one of these. I guess I just don't hear about these up and coming shows.

I did see some commercials for "Portlandia" and thought it looked interesting, then watched an episode and it blew.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:10 pm

This is supposed to be real good, doubt I'll ever watch but word is it is solid.

And Potlandia has been hyped for two years, never bought in and made a half hour to watch it though, the hype didn't feel legit.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:13 pm

Impractical Jokers is still the most I've ever laughed at a TV show. Is it stupid and juvenile? Sure. But doesn't change the fact that it's damn funny.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:18 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:This is supposed to be real good, doubt I'll ever watch but word is it is solid.

And Potlandia has been hyped for two years, never bought in and made a half hour to watch it though, the hype didn't feel legit.

I've heard exactly the same thing about Key and Peele. I'll have to make it a point to record a few episodes.

It's strange, I tried to give Portlandia a shot recently too and came to the same conclusion as you and Hiko. I kept hearing how great it was supposed to be, but when I watched it I found my mind wandering and ended up doing other shit while I was half paying attention. I couldn't even tell you what happened.

It's too bad, because I love Armison.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:25 pm

Portlandia is designed for hipsters, if you aren't a hipster I don't see how you enjoy it and I doubt any of you tools know the slightest thing about hipster culture. Not saying the show is good, but you are guys FAR from the target audience.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:31 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Portlandia is designed for hipsters, if you aren't a hipster I don't see how you enjoy it and I doubt any of you tools know the slightest thing about hipster culture. Not saying the show is good, but you are guys FAR from the target audience.

What could I possibly need to know about hipster culture that I can find on TV and in the ether? Do I need to move to SoHo or Greenwich to know what a hipster is?
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:32 pm

Btw, not trying to hyjack, but I'm not sure it deserves it's own thread. Did you ever catch up on Wilfred? I liked it a lot, and the farther away I get from it the better I think it was.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:41 pm

Nope, I will eventually probably/maybe.

I'm too busy wasting time watching shitty Zombie shows.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:42 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Portlandia is designed for hipsters, if you aren't a hipster I don't see how you enjoy it and I doubt any of you tools know the slightest thing about hipster culture. Not saying the show is good, but you are guys FAR from the target audience.

What could I possibly need to know about hipster culture that I can find on TV and in the ether? Do I need to move to SoHo or Greenwich to know what a hipster is?

I dunno, what could a Bostonian possibly need to know about Cleveland they can't find on TV to get it?

And it's less location, I am sure Cleveland has plenty of hipster douche's, it's more so a generational thing.

And a dentist thing, I doubt you run into a lot of hipsters in your work circles.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:08 pm

The repeats of Freaks and Geeks are worth a watch on IFC. Along with old Monty Python reruns, and Mr. Show. ONN was good, but I never really got into it big time.

btw, in case anyone's wondering, the office is really beyond terrible at the moment. Not that it wasn't getting to that point, but it really should have hung it up last season.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:24 am

Anyone that hasn't watch Freaks and Geeks should not be allowed to watch television anymore.

Top five TV show of all time, even with only a single season of life.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:08 pm

motherscratcher wrote:

I lived in Greenwich Village a couple years and I still think Portlandia blows.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:07 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Anyone that hasn't watch Freaks and Geeks should not be allowed to watch television anymore.

Top five TV show of all time, even with only a single season of life.

Yeah, how the hell did that get cancelled?

Was NBC assuming they'd get a Dawson's Creek clone out of Apatow at the time?

Triple-S

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:16 pm

Same reason anything gets cancelled. Nobody watched it. Not until it was too late, anyway. I only watched it a few years ago.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:56 pm

Was shocked and bewildered that I couldn't find a Eastbound & Down topic anywhere. Kenny Fucking Powers says: :fu:
"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it!" -Al Czervik
LakeErieWarriors

Favorite Player: Browns Draft
Least Favorite Player: Browns Training Camp

Unread postby Cease » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:06 pm

Portlandia- Good. It's not for hipsters, it's about hipsters.
Workaholics- DVR good. It's not just for stoners, but it definitely is for stoners.
Key and Peele- undecided. Keegan-Michael Key was a beast at Second City. Need to see more of this show, but I just watch for him. He's an animal in live shows.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:22 am

I watched the first episode on demand and I like where it's going. The best word I use to describe it is "potential". Their monologues need work.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby mattvan1 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:44 am

The rich irony being that hipsters eschew mainstream TV. Except maybe the Independent Film Channel and Guitar Center Sessions.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:11 pm

I want to like it, I just don't. The sketches seem well thought out and have potential, there's just one problem; they aren't funny. The recent slave auction sketch was a great premise (very against the idea of being a slave at first, but once they are passed over for obviously inferior slaves, they just want to be picked) but nothing they said was funny and the only slightly funny part came when all the extras were just reacting to them. And the monologues are even worse.

I did see that it was picked up for season 2 already so hopefully they can improve on it. Anything is better than Workaholics.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture