Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

2013 NBA draft thread

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

2013 NBA draft thread

Unread postby jb » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:23 pm

Is it too early?

Enjoying this season, and we're starting to see this season come into place. But is it too soon to start speculating on the most important missing pieces , where we are likely to select, and who is there in NCAA or internationally?
Last edited by jb on Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: 2013 draft thread

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:25 pm

jb wrote:Is it too early?

Enjoying this season, and we're starting to see this season come into place. But is it too soon to start speculating on the most important missing pieces , where we are likely to select, and who is there in NCAA or internationally?

Shouldn't we still be looking at the 2012 draft before we look at 2013?

And I'd put an "NBA" in the title up there or Souldawg is going to be spamming this thread with his RG3 blasts

:hide: ;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: 2013 draft thread

Unread postby StewieG » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:32 pm

Never too early. I'd like to lose enough to get into the top 5, as I feel there's a drop in talent after that. I think of that group, Davis will be excellent, Barnes and Robinson are stars (but not superstars), Drummond is a high boom or bust potential (I think he's great, but his supposed lack of motor does scare me a little), and MKG is a guy who will be very good, but his stats won't tell everything he contributes to the team (kind of like Varejao now).

Of the rest, I haven't seen enough to get a good feel on them, but I do like Beal, and to a lesser extent, Lamb. I don't know much about Meyers Leonard, or Cody Zeller...both seem to be moving up draft boards though.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Re: 2013 NBA draft thread

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:42 pm

Harrison Barnes Can't Dribble
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby JJN » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:21 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Harrison Barnes Can't Dribble

Which is fine late in the lottery, but not at where Barnes is slated to go.

And as far as Drummond, he might not take basketball as seriously as we would like, but we said the same about Shaq for his entire career. I'm not saying the kid is going to be Shaq 2, but in terms of a big man with gobs of skill and potential there is a similarity there. Davis and Drummond can both be so good that I would entertain trading two firsts to get a shot at one of them. I also think much of this talk is overblown.

Outside of those two, I love MKG, but I think we/he might have played to well to have a relationship. I like Lamb, but I haven't seen enough Beal. PJ3 scares the crap out of me. Could easily end up the best player in this draft, and could also be a big bust. At least if Drummond lacks a motor he is still huge and athletic where PJ3 is more finesse. I like his teammate though (Quincy Miller) and would like to see more of what he can do when everything isn't run through Jones. Rivers might be a target to buy a pick for depending on what we get with our pick.
JJN

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: David Stern

Unread postby swerb » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:48 pm

All the Kentucky kids.

Anthony Davis is gonna be a beast, but seems to be a lock to go #1.

The others - like Kidd-Gilchrist the best. Then Terence Jones. Then Lamb.

Also very intrigued by Fab Melo and Kris Joseph from the Cuse.

Big difference between picking 8-9 and top three though.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby dmiles » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:07 am

(Accidentally posted in Game thread but quickly deleted)....

Sad thing is I just don't watch enough college hoops to know what's out there right now, so I'm totally dependent on the blog/twitter roles. Now that I have the League Pass, I just automatically switch over to NBA unless the Bucks are playing. NBAdraft.net at least gives me some vague idea of where they'd slot guys, what sites are recommended? Getting a vague idea of the top 10 prospects isn't a bad idea because at least then you can make it a point to watch a couple of games (i.e. Kentucky).
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby StewieG » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:34 am

StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:35 am

Yeah DX is the best, then Ford, then random idiots on the internet then NBAdraft.net
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby JJN » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:51 pm

You want something to watch tonight, KU vs Baylor on ESPN2 at 7. Three top 10 prospects (Jones, Quincy Miller, Thomas Robinson). Also Jeff Withey, KU's center could be in the 2nd round this year, and I would love to grab him there. 8pts, 6reb, 3blk in 23 minutes shooting 53%/87%.

Become a T-Rob fan:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... n-magazine
JJN

Unread postby jb » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:13 pm

StewieG wrote:http://www.draftexpress.com

Very different names than some other sites, I've seen other places where the SG & SF look higher rated & deeper.

To me, that's the area of need I'd like to most see met with a scorer.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:48 pm

Looking at those top three at DX only serves remind just how stupid not tanking was.

I like those three markedly better than anyone else.

Your playing roulette after that point.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby dmiles » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:12 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Looking at those top three at DX only serves remind just how stupid not tanking was.

Your playing roulette after that point.

Any decent trade analysis out there about what we can get for Andy? I am all for selling high but if you can't get a lottery type pick is it worth it to dump him? One other thing is it dumping might force the Cavs to play Hollins a little more, that might get them back into the tanking realm unless it's too late.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:24 pm

Andy should have been traded two off-seasons ago.

Now you have to hold onto him until a team with a need for a defensive big also has a spare lottery pick or a young talent to deal.

But this team, with a big man rotation next year featuring And and TT is not any better.

Either way, they done already fucked up, we'll see what they can do in FA to fix it.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:27 pm

jb wrote:
StewieG wrote:http://www.draftexpress.com

Very different names than some other sites, I've seen other places where the SG & SF look higher rated & deeper.

To me, that's the area of need I'd like to most see met with a scorer.

DX does not factor team need into their mocks until the draft is much closer.

For now you are getting a top player analysis matched up to draft order.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:43 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Andy should have been traded two off-seasons ago.

Now you have to hold onto him until a team with a need for a defensive big also has a spare lottery pick or a young talent to deal.

But this team, with a big man rotation next year featuring And and TT is not any better.

Either way, they done already fucked up, we'll see what they can do in FA to fix it.

I usually agree with you but what's so awful about keeping him? I'll take Andy turning into an All Star over whatever panic trade we would have made after LeBron left. I don't think his value was near this level back then. As long we we trade Jamison and Sessions, we'll be comfortably in the top 10 this year with a punchers chance at the top 3. That's fine in a deep draft with the free agent opportunities you mentioned. With how bad some other teams are this year and how well Kyrie has played, having a top 3 lottery record would have been a tall order anyway.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:46 pm

Andy isn't an All-Star and never will be. And Andy was linked to FAR more far better packaged before he got hurt last year, when contenders did a lot more reshuffling and lottery picks were all over the place.

Nor can he really play offense.

I love Andy and all he does, but his value was a peak when LBJ left and he should have been gone then. Now you sit on him until you can get value and trade him.

Especially when Tristan Thompson is your PF of the future.
Last edited by e0y2e3 on Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:52 pm

BTW: a lot of people are going to miss Jamo a lot after they dump him. He's not a great player anymore but with a scoring allergic as the rest of the front-court is he plays an important role in making things even stomachable to watch.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:32 pm

All I know is if we make the playoffs this year we can kiss this rebuild goodbye, might as well sell the team at that point.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby JJN » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:47 pm

FUDU wrote:All I know is if we make the playoffs this year we can kiss this rebuild goodbye, might as well sell the team at that point.

While I would love to get a high pick in this draft, this will probably be the best draft to make the playoffs in. Yes, the top 3, as usual, is better than everyone else. But this year, the drop off in talent isn't nearly as bad as it was, say last year. The talent between picks say 8 and 15 is pretty damn close, especially the wingmen which we terribly need. Most of the top 20 prospects this year have the ability to be top 10 in most years.

That said, I really don't worry about it too much. Injuries that have been hitting everyone else are starting to get to us. Also, we had an easy early schedule. We are still going to surprise some teams who are hurt/tired, but the L's should start building up.
JJN

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:38 pm

I think FUDU's point is more so that if Gilbert tastes playoffs odds are you don't see the lottery again because his bloodlust will push him to become the Houston Rockets.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:00 pm

Holy fucking fuck fuck fuck.

I'm listening to this stupid Bull and Fox shit to hear Meyer (who was supposed to be on at three) and it has been ten minutes of callers talking about keeping Ramon Sessions and making the playoffs.

If I actually really cared about the Cavs anymore this would make me mad.

Instead, since they are meh to me I just hope these people crash their cars.

I rarely ever listen to talk radio, but fuck fuck fuck.

DON'T TRADE RAMON SESSSIONS, WIN GAMES, WAR A HEAT MATCH-UP

That last ten minutes just made me want to cut my ears out.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:00 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I think FUDU's point is more so that if Gilbert tastes playoffs odds are you don't see the lottery again because his bloodlust will push him to become the Houston Rockets.

Yep.

It's no secret NBA 6th seed and lower is eternal sports purgatory. One could probably make that argument hold for as high as a 4th seed.

Bottom line is with our FA history, the unknowns of this FO moving forward and the roster as is today there is no way we can contend for a title without one more lottery pick in this very next draft.

FUDU

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:08 pm

Talk radio gets its callers from RCF.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby JJN » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:30 am

FUDU wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:I think FUDU's point is more so that if Gilbert tastes playoffs odds are you don't see the lottery again because his bloodlust will push him to become the Houston Rockets.

Yep.

It's no secret NBA 6th seed and lower is eternal sports purgatory. One could probably make that argument hold for as high as a 4th seed.

Bottom line is with our FA history, the unknowns of this FO moving forward and the roster as is today there is no way we can contend for a title without one more lottery pick in this very next draft.

OK, I can get behind that. I still don't think that we would be able to put together back to back playoff appearances without a good lotto pick this upcoming draft, but I can definitely see what you are saying about Gilby.
JJN

Unread postby HoodooMan » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:24 pm

JJN wrote:And as far as Drummond, he might not take basketball as seriously as we would like, but we said the same about Shaq for his entire career. I'm not saying the kid is going to be Shaq 2, but in terms of a big man with gobs of skill and potential there is a similarity there.

I'm having a very difficult time reconciling what I've seen with my own eyes with what I'm seeing on DX and reading in this thread. ^That, in particular, strikes me as actually being more batshit crazy than Sessions + Varejao for Dwight Howard.

I mean, I vaguely remember Shaq at LSU, and he was a once in a generation type athlete & talent, almost certainly the most dominant player I've ever seen in college basketball. I know you threw in the "I'm not saying the kid is going to be Shaq 2" disclaimer, but holy fuck those two don't belong in the same sentence, paragraph, post, forum, web domain, and on and on and on...

I've watched Drummond twice. Against Georgetown & Louisville. So both times came at the tail end of this 3-7 skid UCONN is on right now. Sooooo...maybe that's changed how he's played a little bit, and you guys saw a different Drummond from the one I've seen? Even in the 5 days separating those two games, I can say he went from engaged & shitty against Georgetown to effectively taking the night off against Louisville.

You see "gobs of skill." I literally see none. No post game whatsoever. Against Georgetown, he basically just drifted around in the post area with his hands at his chest like he's at the 3pt line waiting for a jump shot. Against Louisville, he did nothing, he gave no effort on either end, he was worthless. I don't see much rebounding skill. I don't see much defensive skill. That guy's as raw as they come, and I'd say he looks like a very good athlete for his size; not great. Right now, he isn't even a Hasheem Thabeet-level prospect, IMO. I hate Perry Jones. I think he's terrible. Yet, I would have a difficult time deciding between Jones & Drummond.

e0y2e3 wrote:Looking at those top three at DX only serves remind just how stupid not tanking was.

So, after the above, it should come as no surprise that I see this draft a liiiiiittle differently than^ right now.

I can't believe how much I love Anthony Davis. When I watched his HS stuff, I thought he was going to just be another one of these 6'10+ douches who think they're SGs, play soft & small, and suck ass at just about everything (IOW, the next Perry Jones). But damn is he fun to watch. Far and away the best prospect of the last three years, and I seriously think he might be the best basketball prospect since LeBron James. So I wish the Cavaliers sucked more only to give us a better chance at getting that first overall pick for Davis, but...

I hate Drummond. SEE ABOVE!!! If he's a Top 3 player in this draft, this draft sucks after AD.

MKD, I like but don't love. Thomas Robinson would actually be my #2 guy in this draft, and after him I kind of like (but don't love) several SGs & SFs (Beal, Rivers, MKG, and Barnes), and while MKG might be the best of that group, if he is, I don't think it's by very much, and if you pressed me to pick my favorite right now, it might be Beal. (And because I like Beal & Rivers, I wouldn't be too concerned about the Cavaliers' draft position, as long as they miss the playoffs.) I think MKD is riding Davis' coattails a bit at the moment. He's good, but like the other 3 in my SG/SF cluster below Davis & Robinson, I think he's flawed. He isn't exceptionally athletic, and he doesn't really have an outside shot.

Then after Davis, Robinson, and the SG/SFs, I'd toss a coin between solid but unspectacular Tyler Zeller and his talented but short-on-brains teammate John Henson. Then maybe fat ass Sullinger. Then, you hope the Cavaliers aren't drafting any lower than 10th/11th, and they're not forced into taking anyone else.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:39 pm

If the Cavs ended up with Henson, TT and Andy on the same team I would die of laughter. Like seriously die.

I've admittedly only watched Drummond once and I see the athleticism and ridiculous skill, but yeah, he doesn't care a lot. He's a Perry Jones style prospect, ridiculous upside, but more likely to hit the floor. Only reason he gets pumped up SO high is because bigs with that much upside are hard to find (and Serge, Jordan and McGee have made the athletic and unskilled young big an in thing).

MKG, I just love and I've watched him three times. IMO, his skill level is close to everyone else in that group but the kid oozes that "gets it" factor that makes James Harden so awesomely James Harden.

As for Davis, word. But he isn't the best prospect of the last three years when Wall and Griffin were picked in the last three years. The DC debacle may end up ruining Wall, but as a prospect he is still at least on Davis' level.

And you've certainly watched more guys than me and you certainly are great at identifying #3 style guys and Greg Monroe's, so I'll not argue a lot.

Oh and ironically Fat Ass Sullinger combined with TT would actually sort of make sense. You could at least combine them to create a great, big, bad league average four!!! ::doh::
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby HoodooMan » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:18 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:As for Davis, word. But he isn't the best prospect of the last three years when Wall and Griffin were picked in the last three years. The DC debacle may end up ruining Wall, but as a prospect he is still at least on Davis' level.

To be clear, my "far and away the best prospect of the last three years" included Wall Year (1), Kyrie Year (2), Davis Year (3).

I liked John Wall a lot, but I really think Davis is a much, much better prospect. He isn't that far separated from past prospects like Griffin, Oden, and Durant, but I think I still like him better. Defensively, he's just crazy. Offensively, he's very raw, but even there, he looks so comfortable with the ball, I just see so much potential, and I'm not even sure KG+ fully describes Davis' ceiling. You see all those guard skills, but he still plays big. As scrawny as he is, I haven't seen him get pushed around at all. I love The Brow.

And MKG is fine. I might just need to adjust my expectations a bit. I saw all those double-double box scores and thought he was going to be my favorite player in this draft class; when, every time I watch Kentucky, it feels like the announcers say, "MKG close to another double-double," and I'm allz like, "FOR REALZ?!?!" He fills up those box scores all quiet, sneaky-like. There's just something missing there for me. Flashy wow-factor, most likely. (ETA: That, or it's the simultaneous contrast effect of him playing next to Anthony Davis and not being Anthony Davis.)
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:34 pm

Methinks MKG is damned by playing next to a prospect you just gave Top 5 PF of All Time+ ceiling.

Someone's in love!
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby HoodooMan » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:00 pm

<--has KG #1

So yes.

HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:15 pm

Read something recently that said Perry Jones' draft stock is fading fast b/c he is putting up dud after dud in big games. Doing it again today against Mizzou -- 2-for-11 shooting so far.

Maybe he will slide far enough for the Cavs to get him.

But then, of course, he probably wouldn't declare for the draft if he thought he'd drop that far.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:24 pm

I swear I saw Perry Jones only good game all year.

DooDoo was right, he has the tantalizing to death Darius Miles thing (although he doesn't play like Miles).
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby JJN » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:30 pm

I've compared MKG to Brandon Roy before, and I'll do it again here. The kid just does what it takes in all the sneaky ways. Yeah, he'll hit you with a highlight reel play every now and then, but he just goes to work. Like e0 said, he has that "gets it" factor.

HoodooMan wrote:I'm having a very difficult time reconciling what I've seen with my own eyes with what I'm seeing on DX and reading in this thread. ^That, in particular, strikes me as actually being more batshit crazy than Sessions + Varejao for Dwight Howard.

I'm sorry for your shortcoming.

I mean, I vaguely remember Shaq at LSU, and he was a once in a generation type athlete & talent, almost certainly the most dominant player I've ever seen in college basketball. I know you threw in the "I'm not saying the kid is going to be Shaq 2" disclaimer, but holy fuck those two don't belong in the same sentence, paragraph, post, forum, web domain, and on and on and on...

I see you managed to parse my words and see my intended meaning despite my claims to the contrary. To anyone with such astounding reading comprehension, I clearly said Drummond is Shaq 2.

I've watched Drummond twice. Against Georgetown & Louisville. So both times came at the tail end of this 3-7 skid UCONN is on right now. Sooooo...maybe that's changed how he's played a little bit, and you guys saw a different Drummond from the one I've seen? Even in the 5 days separating those two games, I can say he went from engaged & shitty against Georgetown to effectively taking the night off against Louisville.

I bow to your massive sample size.

You see "gobs of skill." I literally see none. No post game whatsoever. Against Georgetown, he basically just drifted around in the post area with his hands at his chest like he's at the 3pt line waiting for a jump shot. Against Louisville, he did nothing, he gave no effort on either end, he was worthless. I don't see much rebounding skill. I don't seemuch defensive skill. That guy's as raw as they come, and I'd say he looks like a very good athlete for his size; not great. Right now, he isn't even a Hasheem Thabeet-level prospect, IMO. I hate Perry Jones. I think he's terrible. Yet, I would have a difficult time deciding between Jones & Drummond.

He isn't Thabeet level? THIS is the thing that is more batshit crazy than Dwight for Session+AV. At the start of each of his three years, Thabeet wasn't even projected by Givony to be drafted. Drummond has been top 3 since he started at UConn. And MEM picking Thabeet was seen as a terrible pick when it happened, let alone now.

So, after the above, it should come as no surprise that I see this draft a liiiiiittle differently than^ right now.

I can't believe how much I love Anthony Davis. When I watched his HS stuff, I thought he was going to just be another one of these 6'10+ douches who think they're SGs, play soft & small, and suck ass at just about everything (IOW, the next Perry Jones). But damn is he fun to watch. Far and away the best prospect of the last three years, and I seriously think he might be the best basketball prospect since LeBron James. So I wish the Cavaliers sucked more only to give us a better chance at getting that first overall pick for Davis, but...

I hate Drummond. SEE ABOVE!!! If he's a Top 3 player in this draft, this draft sucks after AD.

This is a very poor take.

MKD, I like but don't love. Thomas Robinson would actually be my #2 guy in this draft, and after him I kind of like (but don't love) several SGs & SFs (Beal, Rivers, MKG, and Barnes), and while MKG might be the best of that group, if he is, I don't think it's by very much, and if you pressed me to pick my favorite right now, it might be Beal. (And because I like Beal & Rivers, I wouldn't be too concerned about the Cavaliers' draft position, as long as they miss the playoffs.) I think MKD is riding Davis' coattails a bit at the moment. He's good, but like the other 3 in my SG/SF cluster below Davis & Robinson, I think he's flawed. He isn't exceptionally athletic, and he doesn't really have an outside shot.

MKG is miles ahead of the other swingmen. Miles. Just because he doesn't mean he doesn't do everything better than the rest. The issue with T-Rob is that he is 21 now. Were he 18 playing like this, I have no doubt he would be competing with Davis for the top pick, but it is what it is. I'm not sure I'd say he is the #2 guy in this class, but he has an amazing work ethic and does everything well on both sides of the court. Where he goes is going to depend on what he measures out at. If he measures 6'10, he is a lock for top 5, and maybe as high as 2 if a team is worried about Drummond's work ethic.

Then after Davis, Robinson, and the SG/SFs, I'd toss a coin between solid but unspectacular Tyler Zeller and his talented but short-on-brains teammate John Henson. Then maybe fat ass Sullinger. Then, you hope the Cavaliers aren't drafting any lower than 10th/11th, and they're not forced into taking anyone else.

I would be surprised if Davis reaches KG's level. I love Davis, but Garnett was a monster. Its easy to forget watching him hobbling around the court now, but for 6 years in a row he put up better than 21/11/5/1/1. Davis should be great, but KG is a really high level to reach.
JJN

Unread postby HoodooMan » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:09 pm

JJN wrote:At the start of each of his three years, Thabeet wasn't even projected by Givony to be drafted. Drummond has been top 3 since he started at UConn.

I'm sorry for Givony's shortcoming! [WINKSY EYES AND STUFF]

When Thabeet left UCONN, he was 7'3, he was an excellent shot-blocker, he was a consistent double-double guy, and he was a (very limited, but) good player.

Drummond is 6'10-6'11ish. He is without skill. He is terrible.

So yes, right now, IMO, Drummond is not on Hasheem Thabeet's level. Drummond should stay in school and try to suck less. Unless, like Perry Jones, he plans to continue to suck, in which case, he should come out while teams are less sure.

HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:16 pm

FACT: DooDoo tends to evaluate on pure on the court performance and not on crazy athletic projection

FACT: This causes people to argue with DooDoo, it also makes him the first person to get on the Kawhi Leonard bandwagon last year.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:17 pm

Sidenote Inquiry: Why isn't Favors better than he is? Going into this year, with what he was showing getting some burn last year I expected him to be a monster off the bench. I still think he'll break out, but christ almighty he didn't exist last night, while on the other hand Kanter looked raw but polished at the same time.

I'd still kill to have those two to build around.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby HoodooMan » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:59 am

HoodooMan wrote:As scrawny as he is, I haven't seen him get pushed around at all.

And 7 hours later, I see Vandy do the best job anyone's done to date getting physical with him and getting him out of his comfort zone. He still went 15/8/7, but I think Vandy going right at him early in each half really prevented him from being his usual self on help D (7 blocks is 7 blocks, but the paint was still somewhat less untouchable than usual, I think). Plus there were a couple times he was out-hustled to rebounding position on the defensive end tonight.

HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:56 am

Has anyone seen that Moultrie cat play for Miss. State much? He has the tools from what I've seen the couple times I've seen him but he seems to have developed a little "Perry Jones" ..hey look at me I am tall and gifted and projected to go high in the draft, so don't bump into me and get me dirty syndrome.

Otherwise my order would be A.D. ( not KG level till he gets wicked mean pills)
Robinson
Bad News Barnes
Then I roll with the Hoo SG postulate. I lean with Beal although he is "only" 6' 4" and needs stiffs to set him picks..luckily we have those.

Agreed we will do fine as long as we miss the playoffs in the pecking order. When in doubt pick anyone from Kentucky, then Carolina.
If that fails go undrafted from Harvard.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:07 pm

Harrison Barnes cannot dribble.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:37 pm

e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Orenthal » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:53 pm

Lost 10 of 14, energy guy hurt, old PF and backup PG trying to audition themselves out of town. Thngs lining up just fine.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:10 pm

I'm just impressed Tristan is shooting 42.4% from the floor and 42.6% from the FT line. That HAS to be some sort of NBA record.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:20 pm

According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:42 pm

Best part about that was the reminder of the useless fact that Chris Dudley still played in the year 2000. How that guy managed to have a career longer than 6 years I'll never know.

FUDU

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:00 pm

FUDU wrote:

Best part about that was the reminder of the useless fact that Chris Dudley still played in the year 2000. How that guy managed to have a career longer than 6 years I'll never know.

Have you seen some of the guys puttin' together a string in the league?

Guy's twice as good as Ryan Hollins, for example, and it looks like that hump might make it a half dozen.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:19 pm

With the Hornets having two picks (and tanking their ass off), I'm looking forward to the draft. DX has us taking Drummond and J Lamb, but Drummond worries me for the reasons listed above. I'd rather go Robinson/Lamb, or is the almighty is shining down on me Davis/Lamb. Either way, you combine this with new local ownership about to go down and a long term city lease signed, hopefully Eric Gordon being re-signed, and then you have something going.

Just gotta keep tanking....

"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:29 pm

The Hornets will live to regret low-balling Gordan on the extension.

I'd put the odds of him resigning at roughly 30% at this point.

Kid's gonna go home to Indy and turn them into a legit force.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:48 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:The Hornets will live to regret low-balling Gordan on the extension.

I'd put the odds of him resigning at roughly 30% at this point.

Kid's gonna go home to Indy and turn them into a legit force.

I don't know. From everything I've read, Dell Demps tried to get him a max extension but Sperling was the one who handcuffed him. If we can get ownership in place, hopefully we can follow through and lock him up. Nowhere near a certainty, I understand, but the landscape will be alot different than it was when the extension was botched.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:07 pm

QUICK: SOMEONE WITH ESPN INSIDER GO COPY AND PASTE THE ARTICLE ABOUT THIS YEARS GREAT DRAFT CROP REALLY SUCKING!!!!!!

PLEASE~!!!!!!!!

Then watch the melt.

Told yall Harrison Barnes and Sullinger suck.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:18 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:QUICK: SOMEONE WITH ESPN INSIDER GO COPY AND PASTE THE ARTICLE ABOUT THIS YEARS GREAT DRAFT CROP REALLY SUCKING!!!!!!

PLEASE~!!!!!!!!

Then watch the melt.

Told yall Harrison Barnes and Sullinger suck.

A taste... the rest is Insider...

"Everyone talks about how great this draft is," one NBA GM told ESPN.com. "On paper, in July, it really looked that way. On the ground, in February, I'm not that impressed. Anthony Davis is great. But after that, there are a lot of question marks and a surprising lack of depth. I'm not sure that the 2012 draft will be better than the 2011 one."

What's causing the pessimism?

Davis has lived up to expectations. Perhaps even surpassed them. But most of the rest of the crop of returning players and freshmen haven't met expectations.

Barnes has shown he's a lethal scorer -- but a one dimensional one that doesn't seem to make anyone better. Perry Jones has reverted back to his wallflower ways. Terrence Jones, despite the talent, is still maddeningly inconsistent. Sullinger is effective, but seems to have hit his ceiling as a freshman..... though it seems abundantly clear that he's the 2nd coming of Kevin Love....

Okay- I added the last part.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Next

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA