Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Peyton Manning

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Peyton Manning

Unread postby swerb » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:50 am

He'll never play another game for Indy again, right? No way they can sit Luck. If they try, he may force go Elway on em and force a trade.

With what Carson Palmer just commanded, and the premium on quarterbacking in the league, it seems to me to be a near lock that they pay Manning the 28 million roster bonus and then trade him. The team is too poor to win now, even with a healthy Manning.

Interesting column from old friend and Colts beat guy Bob Kravitz:

http://www.indystar.com/article/2011111 ... de-Manning
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Peyton Manning

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:48 am

It is an interesting dilemma and probably one of the toughest ones that any team in recent memory has had to make. If Peyton was healthy playing today Indy would be a legit contender to represent the AFC in the SB. If (<--- kind of big) Manning returns with no lingering effects he has no doubt 3 good years left (Manning as "just good" is still better than 28 other QBs in the league), but as the article says the Colts will need to fill a lot of spots that will be vacated this year or next.

Sitting Luck behind Manning for 1 year is probably a decent move, sitting him anymore than that with the coming turnover of surrounding cast is probably not. So how do you let him go for nothing?

The next interesting part is the team(s) that would and should have interest in Manning if he were available. Does Indy let Peyton hand pick his future team if they decide to part ways?

Memo to Cleveland, don't even think about it.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:53 am

FUDU wrote:It is an interesting dilemma and probably one of the toughest ones that any team in recent memory has had to make. If Peyton was healthy playing today Indy would be a legit contender to represent the AFC in the SB. If (<--- kind of big) Manning returns with no lingering effects he has no doubt 3 good years left (Manning as "just good" is still better than 28 other QBs in the league), but as the article says the Colts will need to fill a lot of spots that will be vacated this year or next.

Sitting Luck behind Manning for 1 year is probably a decent move, sitting him anymore than that with the coming turnover of surrounding cast is probably not. So how do you let him go for nothing?

The next interesting part is the team(s) that would and should have interest in Manning if he were available. Does Indy let Peyton hand pick his future team if they decide to part ways?

Memo to Cleveland, don't even think about it.

Peyton to the Dolphins.

And even with Peyton this year, they were not contenders. That team was on the downside, and as great as Peyton is, they would not be in the hunt.

Actually a perfect two or three year rebuild stretch for them as Luck gets acclimated. The only thing making it less then perfect is that they have to deal with the Manning issue.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:01 am

Can see Miami. Does Denver have enough to contend with him, seeing as how they are totally blowing their chances of drafting one of the top 3 this season? Zona?

FUDU

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:12 am

FUDU wrote:Can see Miami. Does Denver have enough to contend with him, seeing as how they are totally blowing their chances of drafting one of the top 3 this season? Zona?

There are three reasons I'd guess Miami (And it is a total guess)

1. They are going to give Peyton the choice, then work the deal. As a courtesy to the man that built their franchise in Indy. So they aren't sending him to a team with nothing, that has to totally rebuild.

With the above in mind:

2. Miami has pretty decent talent compared to many of the teams that would come after him

3. Guy spends A LOT of time in Miami. No, he's not club guy on South Beach, but he's beachin', boatin' and Jet Skii'n with the family practically all off season.

It is a very interesting scenario.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:14 am

Manning's greed has crippled the Colts....

What stands out to me in all the conversation is this:

Some peeps believe that a primier NFL QB has to be taken high in the draft. Aaron Rogers was the 24th pick

Some peeps here have been suggesting that Aaron Rodgers lit the NFL on fire the moment he walked on the field. Reality is he had 3 yrs to sit watch and absorb the pro game

Manning has crippled his team with his greed. What has been portrayed, by some peeps here, is that the Colts are in a no brainer position. Seems now that's not quite the case

Then, there's the quotes about "surrounding their QB with quality players"......AHEM! COUGH! COUGH! COUGH!....anyone paying attention?...cuz it don't cost much

Conclusion/prediction?

Manning has been overpaid

Luck won't win for at least 5 yrs unless Indy trades down to a team with more than 4 good players on its roster...
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:43 am

FMB, you ain't saying nothin slick to a can of oil.

Of course Peyton has been over paid, all stars are over paid relative to using resources to build deeper/ better teams.

No doubt Luck might not have the easiest transition INTO the NFL in large part due to what will be around him if he goes to Indy. But again as said so often here the odds of finding 3-5 other pieces to surround him are better than getting those 3-5 pieces and waiting for the next Luck/Manning to come along.

The Colts are in a no brainer position in terms of what they discovered 12 years ago, getting the top notch QB and riding him as long and as hard as you can. It changed the game of football and now here they are a decade later with the same opportunity starring them in the face.

FUDU

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:58 am

If Peyton Manning is reasonably healthy, what should happen is the Colts should show some appreciation for the one guy who took them from one of the worst franchises in the NFL and made them an annual contender for many years, and they should try to load up for a few more runs with him by dealing the Luck pick for the three first rounders+ that they'd be able to get for it. And when the time comes, those supporting cast players can be just as supportive to the next guy as they are immediately for Peyton Manning.

But the ungrateful bastards will almost certainly take Luck, which the football gods should reward with Andrew Luck being the biggest bust in NFL history and Peyton winning three Super Bowls for another team before he retires and goes into the HOF as a _____ rather than a Colt.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby hiko » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:43 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:Luck won't win for at least 5 yrs unless Indy trades down to a team with more than 4 good players on its roster...

Just because it takes the Browns 5 years (or longer) to field a good team doesn't mean it takes that long for everyone.

Colts still have Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark. Those are Pro Bowlers. The reason they haven't been effective this year is the complete lack of QB, which would be fixed by either Peyton returning or Luck being drafted.

They still have Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis, who would be much more effective if they weren't on the field 45 minutes a game.

There's also the distinct possibility that after the first 4 or 5 weeks, the team was told from above to "not try too hard".

IMO, Luck has a winning season by Year 2, if not right away (assuming he's as good as advertised). That's how important a good QB is.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:57 pm

hiko wrote:
Fire Marshall Bill wrote:Luck won't win for at least 5 yrs unless Indy trades down to a team with more than 4 good players on its roster...

Just because it takes the Browns 5 years (or longer) to field a good team doesn't mean it takes that long for everyone.

Colts still have Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark. Those are Pro Bowlers. The reason they haven't been effective this year is the complete lack of QB, which would be fixed by either Peyton returning or Luck being drafted.

They still have Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis, who would be much more effective if they weren't on the field 45 minutes a game.

There's also the distinct possibility that after the first 4 or 5 weeks, the team was told from above to "not try too hard".

IMO, Luck has a winning season by Year 2, if not right away (assuming he's as good as advertised). That's how important a good QB is.

I was including this part of the story in my thoughts...

But there are two problems: First, this team is severely lacking in too many areas to believe it can all be rectified in just one or two offseasons. You've got to figure that most or all of these players will not return: Reggie Wayne, Jeff Saturday, Ryan Diem, Gary Brackett, Joseph Addai, Dallas Clark, Melvin Bullitt, and the list goes on.
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby mistero » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:46 pm

Peyton Manning - QB - Colts
Peyton Manning is scheduled for an X-ray on his neck Wednesday.
It's a standard checkup on his progress. The Colts are still hoping that Manning can practice at some point in Decembe

Peyton Manning just had another cervical xray. Want to guess why? Is it because he feels great and wants to start chucking the ball around? Homey is not ever playing again,ever,for anyone ...ever.

The Colts brass know this. Manning has got to be out of denial and moving towards acceptance in the grieving process.

This discussion is pointless. They draft Luck. He starts week one. Peyton moves up to the booth.
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Favorite Player: Miller High Life
Least Favorite Player: Natural Light

Unread postby hiko » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:22 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:
hiko wrote:

I was including this part of the story in my thoughts...

But there are two problems: First, this team is severely lacking in too many areas to believe it can all be rectified in just one or two offseasons. You've got to figure that most or all of these players will not return: Reggie Wayne, Jeff Saturday, Ryan Diem, Gary Brackett, Joseph Addai, Dallas Clark, Melvin Bullitt, and the list goes on.

If they're indeed going to flush it all and start from scratch, yeah, it'll be at least 3 years.
hiko

Favorite Player: Gray
Least Favorite Player: Black and White

Unread postby Cleveland Matt » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:50 am

How great it must be to be a Colts fan. Mannings has given this fanbase every year pretty much a winning season and a reason to believe they can win it all with him. Then the one year he does not play they are going to get the first pick in the draft that happens to have a QB with the potential to be the next Mannings. There is no way the Colts trade this pick everything is setup for them to just keep rolling. 1 year at the most Luck should sit, give Mannings one more year to win it all with that team or trade him to get more picks to fill some of the holes on the team.

Does anyone think the Cardinals would try to get Manning and maybe think they can relive the Warner days when they hit on him and Warner gave them a couple of great years. The Cardinals are not in the best division and they have one of the best WR in the game and a superstar in the making at CB in Peterson. I knwo they just got Kolb but if you have a shot I don't think you can pass up Manning for a year or two.
Cleveland Matt

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:10 pm

Peyton is a bitter douche, like the news of him being able to play again couldn't wait until Monday morning. He's trying so hard to stay in the spotlight during the week that it should be on his brother, I don't give a shit where the game is being played, he should have stayed away.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby noles1 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:03 pm

Agree, none of the talking heads want to seem to cover one of the more obvious points of all this.

It couldn't wait 5 days, Peyton? Really? Couldn't hit this all during the Combine in Indy? You needed the attention THIS much?
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:13 pm

HoodooMan wrote:If Peyton Manning is reasonably healthy, what should happen is the Colts should show some appreciation for the one guy who took them from one of the worst franchises in the NFL and made them an annual contender for many years, and they should try to load up for a few more runs with him by dealing the Luck pick for the three first rounders+ that they'd be able to get for it. And when the time comes, those supporting cast players can be just as supportive to the next guy as they are immediately for Peyton Manning.

But the ungrateful bastards will almost certainly take Luck, which the football gods should reward with Andrew Luck being the biggest bust in NFL history and Peyton winning three Super Bowls for another team before he retires and goes into the HOF as a _____ rather than a Colt.

This is all tongue-in-cheek, right? Please tell me you're not serious.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby HoodooMan » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:36 pm

I was serious. And it's still how I feel.

Shrug!
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:23 pm

HoodooMan wrote:I was serious. And it's still how I feel.

Shrug!

I'm all for loyalty and rewarding the dude with a lifetime acheivement award, but happen to think 6 years/$48M/$11.6M signing bonus and the 7 years/$99.2M/$34.5M signing bonus and then another $20M signing bonus in 2011 shows enough gratitude.
mattvan1

Unread postby HoodooMan » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:21 pm

And I'm all for moving on once a player's demonstrated he can't play at a high level any longer. If a player's overstaying his welcome, F him at that point. I just thought the Packers were premature in looking post-Favre, and I think the Colts are being premature looking post-Manning.

It isn't exactly an act of charity to stick with Manning and add 3 first rounders+, either. As great as Manning has been, they've only managed one championship with him. Who's to say that Peyton + a much improved supporting cast over the next 5 years doesn't give you a better chance to win another one than Luck w/o that much improved supporting cast over the next 10-15? And sticking with Manning and adding a bunch of supporting cast players doesn't stop you from sucking (and being in position for another franchise QB) when the time comes for him to retire.

HoodooMan
The King

Re: ...

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:36 pm

HoodooMan wrote:And I'm all for moving on once a player's demonstrated he can't play at a high level any longer. If a player's overstaying his welcome, F him at that point. I just thought the Packers were premature in looking post-Favre, and I think the Colts are being premature looking post-Manning.

It isn't exactly an act of charity to stick with Manning and add 3 first rounders+, either. As great as Manning has been, they've only managed one championship with him. Who's to say that Peyton + a much improved supporting cast over the next 5 years doesn't give you a better chance to win another one than Luck w/o that much improved supporting cast over the next 10-15? And sticking with Manning and adding a bunch of supporting cast players doesn't stop you from sucking (and being in position for another franchise QB) when the time comes for him to retire.

That makes sense - I think I misunderstood your op and was thinking too much of the "loyalty" factor as opposed to "who helps us win" factor.

I happen to think drafting Luck is the way to go but your point is valid if you believe the Colts can get back into contention with Manning plus some additional first round picks.
mattvan1

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:43 pm

Manning doesn't just cost Manning though. If you re-sign him you also almost have to pay Reggie Wayne. Not to mention the $25m for Luck's deal and whatever else you need to do to make a run at winning.

They could do this I guess. But again, writing on the wall: Polians are gone, HC is gone, etc.

I smell a clean break coming all the way around. Not sure how it can be perceived any other way.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:13 pm

peeker643 wrote:Manning doesn't just cost Manning though. If you re-sign him you also almost have to pay Reggie Wayne. Not to mention the $25m for Luck's deal and whatever else you need to do to make a run at winning.

They could do this I guess. But again, writing on the wall: Polians are gone, HC is gone, etc.

I smell a clean break coming all the way around. Not sure how it can be perceived any other way.

Yes. I agree with you. But HooDoo (I believe) believes the Colts should pass on Luck and trade the pick in order to get more first rounders and make one last run with Manning. I don't think that will happen.
mattvan1

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:17 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Manning doesn't just cost Manning though. If you re-sign him you also almost have to pay Reggie Wayne. Not to mention the $25m for Luck's deal and whatever else you need to do to make a run at winning.

Yes. I agree with you. But HooDoo (I believe) believes the Colts should pass on Luck and trade the pick in order to get more first rounders and make one last run with Manning. I don't think that will happen.

Ok. Still, nothing they've done should scream that's the way they're going at all. Quite the opposite.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:40 pm

peeker643 wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:

Ok. Still, nothing they've done should scream that's the way they're going at all. Quite the opposite.

Yes, I agree that HooDoo is barking mad. :hide:

Meanwhile, Image
mattvan1

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:10 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:

Yes, I agree that HooDoo is barking mad. :hide:

Meanwhile, Image

Maybe if the Colts rent a plane and fly a WE'RE REBUILDING!!!!! Banner you'll figure it out Matt. God....

:hide:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:36 pm

HooDoo barking mad?

That's some funny shit.

FUDU

Unread postby HoodooMan » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:46 am

^indeed

And I think it's clear the Colts have moved on. I just don't think that's the right thing to do, with my Coltified hybrid sense of loyalty & self-interest.

HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:24 pm

If you could guarantee me that I'd be getting 100% Peyton Manning back for 2012, I would do as Hoodoo suggests and trade the Luck pick and load up for one more 3-4 year run.

But they won't know by March 8th if he'll EVER be back to 100%. They won't know by the draft if he'll EVER be back to 100%. Given his age and the ambiguous nature of his injury, you'd be a fool to pay his bonus on March 8th and HOPE for a miracle recovery between then and the draft.

The Colts really have no option other than to dump Manning and the $28 mil bonus and start fresh with Luck. They got damn Luck-y with the timing.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:18 pm

Hikohadon wrote:If you could guarantee me that I'd be getting 100% Peyton Manning back for 2012, I would do as Hoodoo suggests and trade the Luck pick and load up for one more 3-4 year run.

But they won't know by March 8th if he'll EVER be back to 100%. They won't know by the draft if he'll EVER be back to 100%. Given his age and the ambiguous nature of his injury, you'd be a fool to pay his bonus on March 8th and HOPE for a miracle recovery between then and the draft.

The Colts really have no option other than to dump Manning and the $28 mil bonus and start fresh with Luck. They got damn Luck-y with the timing.

SD:

Peyton Manning got $26 million dollars to sit on his ass last year , Irsay can sign Luck and own him like a Hebrew slave for four years for the same money .

They don't give a shit if Manning can still play , not when you can be sitting pretty at 25 mil in lieu of giving a broken down pony a $100 million and have a question mark if he can get out of bed or not .

This thing was so done before it started it ain't even funny .

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:49 pm

Hikohadon wrote:If you could guarantee me that I'd be getting 100% Peyton Manning back for 2012, I would do as Hoodoo suggests and trade the Luck pick and load up for one more 3-4 year run.

I pretty much agree with you Hiko, however if they were to try to re-load and go for it w/Manning I'm not so sure the "where" of spending their money and picks would be so easy. He can get by with a pretty average WR corp, so would they need to re-up on the best pieces they might lose now EG: Wayne etc? Maybe shore up the line (b/c he'll need protection) and improve D and ground game a bit...?

Not that I really care mind you.

FUDU

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:54 pm

FUDU wrote:I pretty much agree with you Hiko, however if they were to try to re-load and go for it w/Manning I'm not so sure the "where" of spending their money and picks would be so easy. He can get by with a pretty average WR corp, so would they need to re-up on the best pieces they might lose now EG: Wayne etc? Maybe shore up the line (b/c he'll need protection) and improve D and ground game a bit...?

So pretty much what I said 18 hours ago?

Dipshit. You're already dumber just from being associated with moscratcher in the Strat league.

;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:00 pm

Remember me saying I've only read you 4 times, about 18 days ago.

Dipshit.

(mooning)

FUDU

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:28 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:

SD:

Peyton Manning got $26 million dollars to sit on his ass last year , Irsay can sign Luck and own him like a Hebrew slave for four years for the same money .

They don't give a shit if Manning can still play , not when you can be sitting pretty at 25 mil in lieu of giving a broken down pony a $100 million and have a question mark if he can get out of bed or not .

SoulDawg

This indicates that you are convinced that Peyton is done physically. I tend to agree with that. My point is that if some doctor could walk up to you and show you an X-Ray and say "On August 1st, Peyton will be at 100% strength and should be as healthy as any time in his career", then you clearly have a better shot winning a SB NOW with vintage Manning plus the mass of 1st/2nd Round picks you get for Luck (just look at the Browns as an example - they might give the 4, 22, 36, and next year's 1st to get Luck).

Just think about it... re-sign Saturday & Clark & whichever Defensive FA from your team you like best, take Richardson at 4, D at 22 & 36 (Peyton can make any WR look effective), hope the Browns suck in 2012 (safe bet, although trading away their 1st round pick is the only sure sign the Browns will have a decent year), take one last hurrah with the guy that made your franchise... hells yeah, I'd do that.

But only if I absolute assurance that he was just as good as he was 5 years ago health-wise. Which I won't get.

Since you're almost guaranteed right about him being broken down/done/kaput, you have no choice but to cut him free and let him end his days pathetically with some other team a la Emmitt, Montana, Favre, Rice, etc.

I agree that there is maybe a 1% chance he returns to Indy.
Hikohadon

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:44 am

Hikohadon wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:

SD:

SoulDawg

This indicates that you are convinced that Peyton is done physically. I tend to agree with that. My point is that if some doctor could walk up to you and show you an X-Ray and say "On August 1st, Peyton will be at 100% strength and should be as healthy as any time in his career", then you clearly have a better shot winning a SB NOW with vintage Manning plus the mass of 1st/2nd Round picks you get for Luck (just look at the Browns as an example - they might give the 4, 22, 36, and next year's 1st to get Luck).

Just think about it... re-sign Saturday & Clark & whichever Defensive FA from your team you like best, take Richardson at 4, D at 22 & 36 (Peyton can make any WR look effective), hope the Browns suck in 2012 (safe bet, although trading away their 1st round pick is the only sure sign the Browns will have a decent year), take one last hurrah with the guy that made your franchise... hells yeah, I'd do that.

But only if I absolute assurance that he was just as good as he was 5 years ago health-wise. Which I won't get.

Since you're almost guaranteed right about him being broken down/done/kaput, you have no choice but to cut him free and let him end his days pathetically with some other team a la Emmitt, Montana, Favre, Rice, etc.

SD:

Anybody who signs Manning is going to get the benefit of one intene Mofo , he's telling anybody interested that he'll sign an incentive based deal for the team who takes the chance on him .

Jets Cardinals Dulphins Pigeons , yall got your ears on .

Personally I hope Snyder jumps in and takes the pressure off our pick .

SoulDawg

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:10 am

SoulDawg74 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:

SD:

SoulDawg

SD:

Anybody who signs Manning is going to get the benefit of one intene Mofo , he's telling anybody interested that he'll sign an incentive based deal for the team who takes the chance on him .

SoulDawg

SoulDawg

Warm weather or dome.

That's not going to change IMO.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:45 am

peeker643 wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:

SD:

SoulDawg

SD:

SoulDawg

SoulDawg

Warm weather or dome.

That's not going to change IMO.

SD:

Excellent point , he'd find both in Zona and Larry Fitz , the only thing which would make him pause en-route is Snyders ability to back up the brinks and his penchant to hunt and land shiny objects.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:24 pm

If I'm forced to bet, I'm now in the camp that says the guy never throws another pass in the league.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby noles1 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:14 pm

Don't think money will be the issue.

He isn't going to Washington. No way he plays against lil bro twice a year.

Don't think the Jets make sense either in NY.

Zona, Miami or Denver IMO.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:41 pm

noles1 wrote:Don't think money will be the issue.

If I can steal your rationale here for a minute, I would say he's goin to Zona. Philbin ties to Flynn makes him a Phin. Tebows success in Denver? No way they decide to go after Peyton. They want to give Tebow the benefits of a full training camp and see how well or bad he does with that. Kolb is not the man. Helter Skelton is not the answer. Bottom line: I could see him goin to Zona..
"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it!" -Al Czervik
LakeErieWarriors

Favorite Player: Browns Draft
Least Favorite Player: Browns Training Camp

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:22 am

LakeErieWarriors wrote:Tebows success in Denver? No way they decide to go after Peyton. They want to give Tebow the benefits of a full training camp and see how well or bad he does with that.

I do hope that Tebowmania costs Denver another year, but I think that Elway's comments have made it clear that he doesn't buy into Tebow as much as the fans do (which makes me believe he actually knows what he's doing).

I doubt they go after Peyton, but they'll go after someone that can potentially start should Tebow bust.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:19 am

LakeErieWarriors wrote:If I can steal your rationale here for a minute, I would say he's goin to Zona. Philbin ties to Flynn makes him a Phin. Tebows success in Denver? No way they decide to go after Peyton. They want to give Tebow the benefits of a full training camp and see how well or bad he does with that. Kolb is not the man. Helter Skelton is not the answer. Bottom line: I could see him goin to Zona..

Funny stat they popped up during the Super Bowl. The season leaders in fourth quarter game winning TDs this season: Eli 8, Alex Smith and Tebow with 6, and... Skelton with 5. I don't see 'Zona in the mix just yet.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby Sea Foam Green » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:44 am

I don't know anything about the financials, but what's the reason SF wouldn't be the clear front runner for Manning if he comes back?

The way I see it, if his number one priority is to get with a team with the best shot of winning a SB, it's gotta be SF. The defense is legit, which considering his troubles at Indy should probably be his #1 priority. The offense has some weapons; Vernon Davis- Peyton loves a good tight end, Crabtree - Could be a bust, but could also be a victim of shitty QB, Frank Gore's got some mileage left in his tank and that Kendall Hunter showed some flashes last year.

If Manning has any kind of ego at all [and frankly, he deserves to have one] he's gotta figure that if the defense can maintain, he can upgrade the offense significantly and then they've got a pretty damn good team.

And if your SF, essentially the only risk is that a rehabilitated Manning won't be as good as Alex Smith. Sure they lose a lot of mobility, but still.....Alex Smith.
Sea Foam Green

Favorite Player: 1st Round Draft Pick

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:16 pm

noles1 wrote:Don't think money will be the issue.

The word on the street is that Peyton isn't even looking for guaranteed money. Zero. He might sign for a salary of $1 but he wants a contract entirely based on incentives to prove that he's still capable.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:41 pm

Sea Foam Green wrote:I don't know anything about the financials, but what's the reason SF wouldn't be the clear front runner for Manning if he comes back?

The way I see it, if his number one priority is to get with a team with the best shot of winning a SB, it's gotta be SF. The defense is legit, which considering his troubles at Indy should probably be his #1 priority. The offense has some weapons; Vernon Davis- Peyton loves a good tight end, Crabtree - Could be a bust, but could also be a victim of shitty QB, Frank Gore's got some mileage left in his tank and that Kendall Hunter showed some flashes last year.

If Manning has any kind of ego at all [and frankly, he deserves to have one] he's gotta figure that if the defense can maintain, he can upgrade the offense significantly and then they've got a pretty damn good team.

And if your SF, essentially the only risk is that a rehabilitated Manning won't be as good as Alex Smith. Sure they lose a lot of mobility, but still.....Alex Smith.

I think I remember reading somewhere that Manning and Harbaugh don't get along (not hard to believe since Harbaugh is such a doosh).

Plus I think Harbaugh's ego tells him he doesn't need to bring in someone like Peyton to hog all the spotlight - he can win it with Alex Smith b/c he's just a super-awesome coach.

But Peyton to SF would make some sense otherwise.
Hikohadon

Unread postby jb » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:30 pm

I have zero idea why they don't renegotiate his on tract, he foregoes the signing bonus, and stay in Indy for another year to see if he can play and / or groom Luck. Buy some time. Give him a victory lap -- if he can play.

If he can play at a high level he goes out of Indy next season for huge "SB or bust" bucks.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:16 pm

jb wrote:I have zero idea why they don't renegotiate his on tract, he foregoes the signing bonus, and stay in Indy for another year to see if he can play and / or groom Luck. Buy some time. Give him a victory lap -- if he can play.

If he can play at a high level he goes out of Indy next season for huge "SB or bust" bucks.

This is why I don't think he'll play again.

I think Indy doesn't think he's close - a viable option.

Anyone see the guy throw with his "trainer" yet? The Kravitz article seemed to have many specifics, until it got to "how the throwing going?" Then it got real general.

I know nothing about nothing. Just watching some curious goings on. I think Peyton thinks he will play again, I think Indy understands that waiting for nerves to regenerate is about as poor a gamble as you could take.

And I do think if he was zippin' the ball around, we'd a seen it, or at least been told about it by Peyton himself.

We shall see.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:14 am

jb wrote:I have zero idea why they don't renegotiate his on tract, he foregoes the signing bonus, and stay in Indy for another year to see if he can play and / or groom Luck. Buy some time. Give him a victory lap -- if he can play.

I think they tried, he refused. Doesn't want to be a lame duck "mentor" QB for a team that he probably feels should be kissing his butt.

If you're Peyton, there are a lot better ways they can spend that #1 overall than on a guy that won't see the field and will be pressuring him for playing time.

He wants a team to be all in on him and want him the way he feels he deserves to be wanted.

Keeping Peyton and drafting Luck was a dumb option anyway - no reason to have 2 franchise QB's on a team that bad everywhere else. Pick one option and try to be as good as you can be with him. They've chosen Luck.
Hikohadon

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL