Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Kyrie Irving and the Cavs Down the Mavs

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Kyrie Irving and the Cavs Down the Mavs

Unread postby ClevelandFanInNewYork » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:10 pm

I haven't been able to watch too many Cavs games here in New York but I did see Irving's performance tonight against the Mavs. We may not win a championship anytime soon but we have a bona fide superstar in the making in Kyrie.

Hopefully a few more ping pong balls will come our way at the trade deadline but if not, these guys may make Cleveland basketball fun to watch again.
ClevelandFanInNewYork

Favorite Player: Brian Sipe
Least Favorite Player: Any New Yorker

Re: Kyrie Irving and the Cavs Down the Mavs

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:13 pm

Kid was spectacular tonight. Obviously he was since the game thread originated on the actual date of the game. Yes, it's after the game ended, but still on the same day. ;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:21 pm

Irving I just phenomenal to watch. I've been watching as much Cavs as ever.

I'm wondering about AV. He's been killing it. I've been an advocate of trading him. Now I'm wondering if he will still be a viable option by the time the Cavs can hopefully contend again.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby statmasta » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:26 pm

This team is so much fun to watch, especially in the 4th quarter. I don't care if losing is better for the franchise long term, I can't bring myself to root for these guys to lose. Winning these games is too much fun.

And I'm definitely against trading AV. It's impossible to get equal value for him. Any draft pick we get would be used to draft a player much worse than Andy. We used the #4 pick last year to draft a guy who most likely will never be nearly as valuable as Varejao. It's possible to get lucky (Andy himself was the 30th overall pick), but I'd rather not bank on luck. Varejao should still be a very effective player when the team should be a contender. Keep him.
statmasta

Favorite Player: Sandy Alomar Jr.
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby ClevelandFanInNewYork » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:27 pm

You're right about Andy. Those two together are a thrill a minute. Maybe his injury last year will extend his quality years left by just enough to still be a key part if we make a run.
ClevelandFanInNewYork

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:45 pm

Exciting game tonight.

Beyond Kyrie and AV are holes. A lot of holes. With that in mind, it doesn't make sense to part ways with 1 of the 2 biggest assets on this team. Keep Andy.

Start with Sessions, and soon. I like him too but he's the best trade bait I think we've got. It would also be nice to part ways with Twan, but I don't know who would want him. He can score albeit at a low fg% and he can also grab some boards. Somebody. Anybody. Take him.
"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it!" -Al Czervik
LakeErieWarriors

Favorite Player: Browns Draft
Least Favorite Player: Browns Training Camp

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:51 pm

That was worth the $2.75 I paid to see it on DirecTV. What a finish. Scott went with the two point guard set with Irving and Sessions along with Gee, Jamison, and AV. Definitely the strongest unit given the players available now. Undersized everywhere but a lot of speed, ballhandling, penetration ability and desire.

Things got scary early in the 4th quarter when Harangoty, Hollins, and Casspi were on the floor at the same time, with Harangoty guarding Dirk. Dallas erased an 8-point Cavs lead in no time and Byron had to get Kyrie and AV back out there. We really need to get Boobie and AP back.

Still, a win is a win. With three minutes to go and the game up for grabs I expected Dallas' age and experience in pressure situations as the defending NBA Champs would be the difference, but the Cavs pulled it out, with the 19-year-old hitting the key shots. Remember how LeBron would dribble around in those situations until he drew a double-team, then pass out of it? Not this kid. He demands to take the big shot.

Hollins and Erden both got another chance to seize the backup center position and neither did anything. Hollis was particularly bad, missing a point blank dunk and even drawing a technical.

I'm rooting for Mychel Thompson to carve out a niche for himself, but so far I can't see it. He threw up some ugly bricks and airballs tonight and badly missed some wide open shots.

Gee is winning me over more each game.

They should make a Varajao highlight video and show it to each new player for the next 20 years and say, "This is how you play the game".

Edit: Can't leave without at least one statistic. Offensive rebounds: Cavs 17, Mavs 4. The Cavs just wanted this one more. And the Mavs are pretty old and they played last night, too.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby statmasta » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:58 pm

LakeErieWarriors wrote:Exciting game tonight.

Beyond Kyrie and AV are holes. A lot of holes. With that in mind, it doesn't make sense to part ways with 1 of the 2 biggest assets on this team. Keep Andy.

Start with Sessions, and soon. I like him too but he's the best trade bait I think we've got. It would also be nice to part ways with Twan, but I don't know who would want him. He can score albeit at a low fg% and he can also grab some boards. Somebody. Anybody. Take him.

Alonzo Gee is starting to get in there as an impact guy with Kyrie and Andy. He's been a big time player recently.
statmasta

Favorite Player: Sandy Alomar Jr.
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby ClevelandFanInNewYork » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:01 am

That baseline dunk by Gee with about two minutes left was sweet.
ClevelandFanInNewYork

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:30 am

statmasta wrote:
LakeErieWarriors wrote:Exciting game tonight.

Alonzo Gee is starting to get in there as an impact guy with Kyrie and Andy. He's been a big time player recently.

Yeah I think Gee is a keeper for sure. Trade list/guys that have little to no value to the Cavs: Jamison, Casspi, Sessions, Hollins, Harangody, Samuels, and Erden.

EDIT: Another noteworthy stat, Turnovers: DAL 21 CLE 9 Always pays to win the turnover battle, especially by this much.
"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it!" -Al Czervik
LakeErieWarriors

Favorite Player: Browns Draft
Least Favorite Player: Browns Training Camp

Unread postby Orenthal » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:00 am

Kid can finish at the rim, even coach Scott was amazed after one drive and finish...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby StewieG » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:07 am

Dallas was playing their 4th game in 5 nights, and it showed. Just didn't have the gas to finish this one out.

The thing I keep hearing about Gee is he works as hard or harder than anyone else at improving his game. The kid will likely never be a star, but he'll no doubt stick in the league, and I'd have no problems with him sticking here. I'd really like to see him develop his mid-range game some more, but he's made huge strides in the last year, especially with his outside shot. I'd prefer to see him start at SF over Casspi. He's the better player, and I'd like to see his hard work get rewarded.

And yeah, Irving's a stud. Imagine what he could do when surrounded by guys who could hit open jumpers?
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:45 pm

Imagine what he could do when surrounded by guys who could hit open jumpers?

I think I could count the number of 2-point jumpshots the Cavs made on one hand every game. You'd think NBA players could knock down open 15-20 footers all day long, but not these guys. It's either a 3-pointer or take it to the rim.

AP is the only guy who shoots 2-point jumpshots coming off a screen. No Rip Hamiltons on this team, but I think they could use a player like that. I mean a younger Rip Hamilton, of course.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:44 pm

^ This is a result of the AAU out- athletic them mode these guys all play. No half court sets and no coaches forcing them to become shooters. Miss the days of your 8+ players in the rotation able to play either fast or slow.

Show me a time AP has come off a screen. Guy is set up in the corner or near the top of the arc. The next time he comes off a screen will probably be the first
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:41 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:^ This is a result of the AAU out- athletic them mode these guys all play. No half court sets and no coaches forcing them to become shooters. Miss the days of your 8+ players in the rotation able to play either fast or slow.

Show me a time AP has come off a screen. Guy is set up in the corner or near the top of the arc. The next time he comes off a screen will probably be the first

Yeah, and I'm not sure what the big deal is for Cavs fans, you watched LBJ find wide open guys for years only to have them "Larry Hughes" every wide open look off the rim. Well either that or "Drew Gooden" it off their face.

Which points to exactly what the Cavs problem is/will be. Can you get enough guys around him before he leaves - in order to prevent him from leaving.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Prosecutor » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:56 am

Larvell Blanks wrote:^ This is a result of the AAU out- athletic them mode these guys all play. No half court sets and no coaches forcing them to become shooters. Miss the days of your 8+ players in the rotation able to play either fast or slow.

They run a play 2-3 times every game where AP comes around a screen, gets the pass, turns and puts up an 18-foot jumper. Most of the time he knocks it down.

You're right about athleticism being preferred to shooting skills. I'm not saying that's bad, I was just commenting that you can watch an entire Cavs game and rarely see them make more than five jumpshots from 2-point range. It's all about dribble penetration or setting up an open 3-point shot. Or both.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:10 am

Prosecutor wrote:

They run a play 2-3 times every game where AP comes around a screen, gets the pass, turns and puts up an 18-foot jumper. Most of the time he knocks it down.

You're right about athleticism being preferred to shooting skills. I'm not saying that's bad, I was just commenting that you can watch an entire Cavs game and rarely see them make more than five jumpshots from 2-point range. It's all about dribble penetration or setting up an open 3-point shot. Or both.

AV occasionally puts up a 3 and might make it, doesn't make him Craig Hodges.

Parker may occasionally come off a screen but the guy has always been a spot up shooter and most of his time in a Cavs jersey has been spent outside the arc waiting for someone else to draw the double team so he can throw up a wide open look.

I guess the number of times that the Cavs run plays actually utilizing screens the last 8 yrs than AP is the Northcoast version of Rip.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Prosecutor » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:11 pm

AV occasionally puts up a 3 and might make it, doesn't make him Craig Hodges.

Craig Hodges? Man, you've been around a while.

Parker may occasionally come off a screen but the guy has always been a spot up shooter and most of his time in a Cavs jersey has been spent outside the arc waiting for someone else to draw the double team so he can throw up a wide open look.

A wide open 3-pointer from the corner is about the only thing AP is really good at. Which is why he's only shot four free throws this year. But, hell, the guy is 38 years old. Do you want him to drive?

I guess the number of times that the Cavs run plays actually utilizing screens the last 8 yrs than AP is the Northcoast version of Rip.

AP is not their go-to guy by any stretch. But when he comes clean off a screen he's a competent catch-and-shoot guy from mid-range. I'm hoping Gee can develop that shot to complement his bull rushes to the rim.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:21 pm

A wide open 3-pointer from the corner is about the only thing AP is really good at. Which is why he's only shot four free throws this year. But, hell, the guy is 38 years old. Do you want him to drive?

I'll take this.

No he doesn't want him to drive. The point is he doesn't come off screens. His comparison was that Varjeao shoots 3's like AP comes off screens; in that its rare. The only thing he does is spot up.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA