Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Defense wins championships? Freakonomics Article

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Defense wins championships? Freakonomics Article

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:40 pm

http://t.co/w5uwIej8

Interesting but pretty raw, IMO.

Discuss.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Re: Defense wins championships? Freakonomics Article

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:11 pm

No matter the rank, I see one thing here

and maybe 2005*

There's only been three super bowl won by supbar QB's. I only include 2005 in there, because Roethlisberger was flat out terrible in that game, and if the refs wern't crooked, you're talking a Seahawks W.

Even the losers..

So that's 8 out of 40 participants.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:26 pm

That goes a lot deeper.

Around 80% of SB winners had HOF QB's

There a little tail wagging the dog in there I'm sure but its still staggering.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:59 pm

It's not to say that defense isn't important either..just things have changed

in the early 90's, not having a good enough defense likely cost the Bills a Lombardi. I mean you can't stop Mark F-ing Rypien and Jeff Hosteler (not even Phil Simms), you got a big problem. (going to be kind on them on the mid 90's Cowboys..as they were a juggernaut).

Sad thing is..you pop that team in a time machine they'd probably THRIVE in a more QB friendly league.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby HoodooMan » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:53 pm

Triple-S wrote:in the early 90's, not having a good enough defense likely cost the Bills a Lombardi.

Early 90s Bills defensive rankings (pts allowed/rushing ypc/passer rating):

90: 6th/6th/11th
91: 19th/11th/5th
92: 14th/1st/14th
93: 5th/12th/5th

I don't think that was it.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:11 pm

Jim Kelly (XXVI)

28-58, 275 yds, 4.7 ypa, 2 TD, 4 int, 44.8 passer rating

Jim Kelly boasts plenty of Hall of Fame credentials. Great performances in the Super Bowl are not among them, and this 40-car pileup at rush hour in this 37-24 loss to Washington was the most disastrous of the bunch. The prolific Bills offense failed to score a single first-half point and Kelly's frantic comeback effort (Super Bowl record 58 attempts) produced too little too late. Even worse: The enduring image of the game is a glassy-eyed Kelly being helped off the field by Buffalo staff after suffering an injury

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multim ... z1lNZ1GPKe

The other was Scott Norwood
Last edited by Fire Marshall Bill on Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:14 pm

HoodooMan wrote:
Triple-S wrote:in the early 90's, not having a good enough defense likely cost the Bills a Lombardi.

Early 90s Bills defensive rankings (pts allowed/rushing ypc/passer rating):

90: 6th/6th/11th
91: 19th/11th/5th
92: 14th/1st/14th
93: 5th/12th/5th

I don't think that was it.

ESPN on the "Top 5 reasons you can't blame" said that in 91 and 93 they were both ranked 27th in total d.

Triple-S

Unread postby noles1 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:29 pm

That Bills era defense invented "bend but don't break"...

Always find it an utter waste to try and figure why the Bills never won it.

Simply came down to the NYG's playing out of their minds and having 2 coaches at their pinnacles for their coaching assignments (Parcells and Belichek). Throw in a kicker and a bunch of quirky things happening and they lost their best chance in the first of the four.

The Redskins game was as unlucky as anything, Rypien 3/4 of the way the a 16 month stretch that was Kurt Warner-esque. Thurman (the likely MVP the year before) losing his helmet and the first half imploding on the more talented Bills team.

The Cowboys games were hopeless. Cowboys were far and away the better, more talented team.

Never really anything more than that IMO.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:35 pm

noles1 wrote:The Cowboys games were hopeless. Cowboys were far and away the better, more talented team.

Never really anything more than that IMO.

I can't believe how dominant the NFC was, and how weak the AFC was prior to '98.

Giants, 49ers, Redskins, Bears, Cowboys all just seemed to be on paper so much more talented.

Triple-S

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:18 am

Still with the rankings?

Cmon.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL