Text Size

College Sports Arena

Consolidated 2012 Recruiting Post

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: Consolidated 2012 Recruiting Post

Unread postby jb » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:30 pm

furls wrote: I hope Meyer hangs 60 on Wisco every year.

If he wasn't before he will now.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:30 pm

From the Gerd article:

"When the hardest-working coach is also at the easiest place to sell, all an opposing coach has left is his arrogance and unrelenting desire for the status quo."

Beautiful.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby jb » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:37 pm

danwismar wrote:It is nice to occasionally have more than 140 characters to make a point, right, Peeks?

When I said earlier that I didn't think this would be an ongoing issue, I meant that this year is a one-off for OSU (and maybe 3-off or 4-off years for Penn State). Never before, and probably never again have we/will we see verbals being poached like this within the conference.

In any other year, the schools are not even recruiting the same kids. Not as much with UM, but MSU and Wisky are down here in Ohio trying to scrape up the kids who didn't get Ohio State offers...like it's always been. I'm trying to remember the last time this happened anywhere in the Big Ten. Help me out Furls, Coz....I'm talking about kids switching after having given a verbal...

I guess I'm saying I attribute it not so much to Meyer being a recruiting beast (although he clearly is). I attribute it to the unique set of circumstances surrounding OSU and PSU this year. Dodson and Pittman (and Kalis) and no doubt a few others (Strobel, McMullen, ?) don't even whiff the interest of a school other than OSU without the JT scandals. This "flipping" of verbals happened because Meyer had to jam a year and a half of effort into 2 months. As he said in the presser, Decker and Pittman didn't need to be "pilfered" by OSU after Meyer was hired. They were both calling OSU immediately...having their coaches call...to let Meyer know they wanted to be Buckeyes. There was no arm-twisting or pressure tactics required. They had always wanted to be Buckeyes, and now the circumstances were going to allow it to happen.

As for the Penn State kids, all four of them (with the possible exception of Schutt?) had formally decommitted, or at least announced their intentions to open up their recruitment before OSU got involved with them. Again, completely unique and one-of-a-kind set of circumstances

Spot on Danny Boy.

Bulimia and the Dago are crying they couldn't close looting the big screens & jewry they thought they could abscond with cause Odeysseus came home earlier than they thought after being lost and he brought a big ole shot gun they didn't count on.

State Perv butt fucked themselves out of their recruits; so to speak . Boo hoo. That program shouldn't even be playing this season. That's the very bare minimum least they deserve.

12 - 0. No mercy.
jb

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:49 pm

About that "hardest-working" thing...

One of the things that is beginning to leak out from Meyer's team at OSU is their amazement that Tressel and his staff were ever able to get even a top 15 recruiting class, based on the way they went about their business.

Tressel was able to get the best kids in Ohio locked up early...to his credit...but it goes without saying that many if not most of those kids had been Buckeyes from the cradle, and would have been here regardless. After that, the staff just didn't seem to work all that hard at recruiting...at least not by comparison with the intensity of Meyer and his group

They didn't use social media at all, for starters, and for the most part never even went after the best of the best from out-of-state. They had nothing close to the sophistication in recruiting that Pantoni is bringing to Meyer's team. They say that Florida's database of high school sophomores was three times the size of OSU's database of juniors.

The idea of "building a fence around Ohio" is so yesterday with this new group. Sure they want to get the best kids from Ohio to stay home, but not at the expense of passing on a better kid who happens to be from California. There are no "borders" to the state Meyer is recruiting in. I love it.

What that means is that we will undoubtedly see more Ohio kids going elsewhere...but it will be because they aren't among the best 22 kids in the country that Meyer wants. I'm OK with that.

Another little tidbit that came out of the Scout board yesterday was that Meyer had Dodson's LOI in hand three hours before his announcement at Heights High Wednesday. Like nevada said...kind of takes the pressure off.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:02 pm

jb wrote:Bulimia and the Dago are crying they couldn't close looting the big screens & jewry they thought they could abscond with cause Odeysseus came home earlier than they thought after being lost and he brought a big ole shot gun they didn't count on.

Now this, this is old school JB.

If not for that lame-ass State-Perv line this would have been post of the week.

I miss this shit.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:03 pm

Also, FWIW, Dan was the first on Twitter I saw to mention that Wisky and Sparty aren't recruiting or even close to Dodson or Pittman any other year. Most people were too busy just ripping Bret and Tony.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:08 pm

Also and lastly re: Dodson, fuck Rostky with a pipe. I fucking hate that guy and his bullshit Morgan Stanley paying high school players ways. Guy single handily ruined my run to the state title and I KNOW guys from YSU that he paid. Dodson might be a nice a kid, but I wish Jeff Rotsky wasn't his mentor and coach, guy is a pure cheater.

Jason Perry got 10K from him.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:08 pm

Tressel really blew.

Apparently.

No idea how they won a title and played for three with his insufferable awfulness. Are there any Tressel recruits at all that went on to play Sundays? Florida NFLers under Meyer have just got to outnumber Tressel NFLers during same time period, right?

Anyone?

:nanner:

:hide:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:12 pm

It isn't that Tress blew, it is that Tress ran a single simplistic system to perfection. He's the Don Don Bucci of college coaches.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:20 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:It isn't that Tress blew, it is that Tress ran a single simplistic system to perfection. He's the Don Don Bucci of college coaches.

Just saying how the tides quickly turn.

Kind of a continuation of what I was saying yesterday.

I'm also saying that if Meyer himself keeps score of recruiting by the number of his recruits who play on Sunday, well, how fucking bad was Tressel? ;-) ;) :wink:

I can make the argument Tressel recruited as many or more NFLers as Meyer but just didn't do enough with them when he had them.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:21 pm

BTW: Bucci coached Pelini and the Stoops (fuck I know em all well from my youth). That wasn't an insult to you fucks who don't know who the greatest high school coach in the history of Ohio is.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:23 pm

peeker643 wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:It isn't that Tress blew, it is that Tress ran a single simplistic system to perfection. He's the Don Don Bucci of college coaches.

I'm also saying that if Meyer keeps score of recruiting by the number of his recruits who play on Sunday, well, how fiucking bad was Tressel? ;-) ;) :wink:

I can make the argument Tressel recruited as many or more NFLers as Meyer but just didn't do enough with them when he had them.

Tressel's 2002 class is arguably the single greatest recruiting class of the last decade, school not mattering.

That said, guy did play the game like it was 1880.

His personality was just so strong anyone that went to campus wanted to run through a wall for him.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:25 pm

No bigger Tressel fan than me, Peeks. I'm just reporting what the Meyer people are saying they found in place when they arrived on the scene. They do things differently...with more intensity and sophistication. No one can argue that Tressel had success doing it his way. That Meyer's staff is shocked at how successful they were given the way they went about it, is praise of Tressel in its own way.

danwismar

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:26 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Also and lastly re: Dodson, fuck Rostky with a pipe. I fucking hate that guy and his bullshit Morgan Stanley paying high school players ways. Guy single handily ruined my run to the state title and I KNOW guys from YSU that he paid. Dodson might be a nice a kid, but I wish Jeff Rotsky wasn't his mentor and coach, guy is a pure cheater.

No player from that school got an offer from Tressel.

Coincidence? Did they have OSU caliber players over the last 11 years?
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:28 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Tressel's 2002 class is arguably the single greatest recruiting class of the last decade, school not mattering.

His personality was just so strong anyone that went to campus wanted to run through a wall for him.

By any metric is an all timer.

A NC, Heisman Winner (could have been 2), NFLers, All Americans, Probowlers...
JCoz

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:35 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

I'm also saying that if Meyer keeps score of recruiting by the number of his recruits who play on Sunday, well, how fiucking bad was Tressel? ;-) ;) :wink:

Tressel's 2002 class is arguably the single greatest recruiting class of the last decade, school not mattering.

That's different than the recruiting issue. I agree he was to modern football what horses are to modern warfare.

But I'm not going to go all revisionist regarding the level of talent he brought to Columbus or wonder how he did it. It's clear how he did it and who/how he appealed to.

I love what Meyer is doing and has done here. It was necessary and it was enjoyable to watch.

And yeah, better to update and upgrade your methods and embrace technology while you can than 'lack sophistication' and die a slow death.

But c'mon.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:38 pm

JCoz wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Also and lastly re: Dodson, fuck Rostky with a pipe. I fucking hate that guy and his bullshit Morgan Stanley paying high school players ways. Guy single handily ruined my run to the state title and I KNOW guys from YSU that he paid. Dodson might be a nice a kid, but I wish Jeff Rotsky wasn't his mentor and coach, guy is a pure cheater.

No player from that school got an offer from Tressel.

Coincidence? Did they have OSU caliber players over the last 11 years?

Bam Childress cut a check from the Morgan Stanley hitman. He hasn't been at Heights long.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:41 pm

danwismar wrote:No bigger Tressel fan than me, Peeks. I'm just reporting what the Meyer people are saying they found in place when they arrived on the scene. They do things differently...with more intensity and sophistication. No one can argue that Tressel had success doing it his way. That Meyer's staff is shocked at how successful they were given the way they went about it, is praise of Tressel in its own way.

I know that, sir.

Just saying, many ways to skin a cat. Ton of talent in the Tressel-era and the fact he lacked sophistication getting it to Columbus just doesn't surprise me. If he utilized telegraph messages and the USPS it wouldn't surprise me. Still comes down to selling what kids and parents want and the fact that Urban may be one of two or three people in the country as good as or better than Tressel doing that is a tribute to both.

Meyer will just do way more with what he gets when all is said and done. That's where the biggest distinction will lie IMO.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:42 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Bam Childress cut a check from the Morgan Stanley hitman. He hasn't been at Heights long.

Since 2007.

http://www.cleveland.com/timstake/index ... tress.html

danwismar

Unread postby jb » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:42 pm

peeker643 wrote:Tressel really blew.

Apparently.

No idea how they won a title and played for three with his insufferable awfulness. Are there any Tressel recruits at all that went on to play Sundays? Florida NFLers under Meyer have just got to outnumber Tressel NFLers during same time period, right?

Anyone?

I tried to tell all y'all the Tress wasn't the be all - end all and peeps got all weepy nasty.
jb

Unread postby jb » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:44 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:BTW: Bucci coached Pelini and the Stoops (fuck I know em all well from my youth). That wasn't an insult to you fucks who don't know who the greatest high school coach in the history of Ohio is.

I know Chuck Kyle.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:52 pm

jb wrote:
peeker643 wrote:Tressel really blew.

Apparently.

Anyone?

I tried to tell all y'all the Tress wasn't the be all - end all and peeps got all weepy nasty.

He ran a perennial Top 5-ish program that won a title and played for three overall in the last decade. As I said then, I'm perfectly fine with that kind of run and you'll take it from Meyer too.

Never said there wasn't anyone, anywhere better. And one of the maybe 2-4 guys who was better is now here.

Bully for us.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:52 pm

Hey Al Bundy, Rotsky works for Merrill Lynch not Morgan Stanley and is a good dude and has helped a ton of kids, including plenty who have never stepped on a football field. Sorry he ruined your life by beating you in the playoffs or whatever grudge you are still holding a decade later from HS football.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby jb » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:55 pm

Ziner wrote: or whatever grudge you are still holding a decade later .

At least he's consistent.
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:59 pm

Awwwww, Right Winger is supporting paying high school football players if you also give to charity. That is so.... Righty of him. And you might want to check where the Morgan Stanley Hitman worked for.. well the aughts.

Btw, he is a shitty coach when it comes to x's and o's and Chanel fired him for his team having terrible terrible terrible gpas.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:00 pm

Barry Alvarez says recruiting is "open season"...

http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbs ... 8/34680085

danwismar

Unread postby jb » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:02 pm

peeker643 wrote:He ran a perennial Top 5-ish program that won a title and played for three overall in the last decade. As I said then, I'm perfectly fine with that kind of run and you'll take it from Meyer too.

Never said there wasn't anyone, anywhere better. And one of the maybe 2-4 guys who was better is now here.

Bully for us.

Here's the deal.

Tress was never a "great" coach. He wasn't a great game day coach and he wasn't a great recruiter. He was a good coach in a great situation and he got about the results he should have based on input variables. He also lucked out that State Perv (for eyesore) hit a low the past decade and Meatchicken imploded. He was in the best FB state in his mediocre conference -- only PA is remotely close -- and has no other in state competition (sorry Spin, I know AK Rowdy will be there in 3..2...1 with InfoInvadePrivacy Field & drunk cheater guy and hiring the fallen idol to act like he never fell ) and had superior resources.

The past several Buckeye teams were not great teams. They were good teams in a mediocre conference. They won a couple nice bowl games when Pryor carried them; I give @TPeezy credit there.

The reality is that we HAVE seen more out of Meyer in 8 weeks than the past 8 yeers of Tressell.

Save your hyperbole and emotisorts. Tress was overrated. Worse recruiter than Coop with better luck in a very down period of the conference.

And the back judge didn't hurt. ;-)
jb

Unread postby jb » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:09 pm

danwismar wrote:Barry Alvarez says recruiting is "open season"...

http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbs ... 8/34680085

Boss to employee:

"Bitch stop cryin.'"

Ice Cube with NWA Gansta Gangsta

Good stuff. Looks like Barry isn't marching on Rome again anytime soon.
jb

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:24 pm

No, I don't support paying high school football players, just saying the dude has done a ton for local kids and many of them never played for him. That's all. I guess since you have helped hundreds of kids in the Cleveland Metro area and haven't paid players you are his moral superior.

Concerning Morgan Stanley you are maybe partly barely right. Not sure when he switched from Soloman Smith Barney to Merrill Lynch but it was before 2001 I know that. And I guess now Morgan Stanley and Smith Barney are the same. So congrats, for one year of the aughts you might be correct. The bigger point stands, Rotsky is a good dude on the whole and you are still a bitch whining about high school football.

Tell us about the time you once scored 4 TDs in a game!

Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:25 pm

Bielema has seriously become a cartoon character.

I wonder if he's going to have to end up apologizing to Meyer publicly for saying Meyer cheated, like Lane Kiffin had to a few years back.
JCoz

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:30 pm

jb wrote:
peeker643 wrote:He ran a perennial Top 5-ish program that won a title and played for three overall in the last decade. As I said then, I'm perfectly fine with that kind of run and you'll take it from Meyer too.

Bully for us.

Here's the deal.

Tress was never a "great" coach. He wasn't a great game day coach and he wasn't a great recruiter. He was a good coach in a great situation and he got about the results he should have based on input variables. He also lucked out that State Perv (for eyesore) hit a low the past decade and Meatchicken imploded. He was in the best FB state in his mediocre conference -- only PA is remotely close -- and has no other in state competition (sorry Spin, I know AK Rowdy will be there in 3..2...1 with InfoInvadePrivacy Field & drunk cheater guy and hiring the fallen idol to act like he never fell ) and had superior resources.

The past several Buckeye teams were not great teams. They were good teams in a mediocre conference. They won a couple nice bowl games when Pryor carried them; I give @TPeezy credit there.

The reality is that we HAVE seen more out of Meyer in 8 weeks than the past 8 yeers of Tressell.

Save your hyperbole and emotisorts. Tress was overrated. Worse recruiter than Coop with better luck in a very down period of the conference.

So you're not gonna research the NFL recruits either, right.

I agree. Tress was a mess. Kids like Hawk and Laurinaitis and Ginn and Carpenter and Whitner and D Washington and Beanie Wells and Hartline and Lil Dane (who can't play a lick) and Gonzalez and Mangold and Gamble and Jenkins and Holmes and Boone and....etc. etc. et al...well...where else were guys like that gonna go?

It was Central Florida or Columbus pretty much. Guys like that couldn't play anywhere else. Number of them came from outside of Ohio too.

Sundays, bitches. Your lord and savior says you look at Sundays to judge your own recruiting classes. So judge away.

Revisionistas. Flavor of the Month sucking sycopphants.

EMOTICON WARNING!!!!

:nanner: :hide:

OH, ETA: spare me the game day crap. We're lock step on that part of the gig. This is a recruiting discussion. And Ohio kids always gonna go Ohio is a bullshit and weak argument. Ohio State didn't go anywhere last year when guys like Kalis went elsewhere and Dodson verbaed elsewhere. It was still right there in C'Bus. You still need to work it.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:31 pm

Z, how do you know Rotsky?

I'm trying not to drag it down but its Friday and I feel like being a knob. I'll be nice tomorrow and Audie can be a prick to me. Just want to add that think it is beyond ironic that Mooney wanna be is criticizing pay-to-play allegations. And South range wins state when I win the Irish Sweepstakes and roll around in a pile of millions while the easter Bunny mounted on a unicorn looks on in horror.

Rotsky has the potential to do for Heights what Ginn SR did for the 'ville in this era of public school open enrollment. I hope he goes for it. WTF does anyone care? Ed's shouldn't have all the fun. ;-)

BTW Pup, you see our "recruited" QB from Jesuit HS in Portland is paying tuition next fall? Good thing Kyle flew out west with that envelope so he could bench little Hoyer else we'd have been screwed at QB.
jb

Unread postby jb » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:34 pm

peeker643 wrote:
EMOTICON WARNING!!!!

Love it when you go all butt hurt diva on line. ;-)

C'mon mang. B real.

You know what I mean. Tress wasn't a mess. But he wasn't great. It took dumb luck for tOSU to do better since they lacked the courage to be great and were satisfied with good.
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:34 pm

jb wrote:

Bully for us.

Here's the deal.

If I weren't allergic to Ohio I'd fist bump you next time I was in town.

Tepid troof.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jb » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:37 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
jb wrote:

Bully for us.

Here's the deal.

If I weren't allergic to Ohio I'd fist bump you next time I was in town.

Tepid troof.

OK, I take back the SR / unicorn crack.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:39 pm

jb wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
EMOTICON WARNING!!!!

C'mon mang. B real.

You know what I mean. Tress wasn't a mess. But he wasn't great. It took dumb luck for tOSU to do better since they lacked the courage to be great and were satisfied with good.

No sir. You don't play in three BCS title games out of dumb luck. You can write it off to that but it's lazy. You still need to take care of business to be in position to benefit from the luck that does lap at your balls.

Butt hurt diva is my response to someone who knows better being utterly obtuse.

And still no one talking Sundays. Doesn't fit the argument.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:42 pm

peeker643 wrote:
jb wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
EMOTICON WARNING!!!!

C'mon mang. B real.

No sir. You don't play in three BCS title games out of dumb luck. You can write it off to that but it's lazy. You still need to take care of business to be in position to benefit from the luck that does lap at your balls.

Butt hurt diva is my response to someone who knows better being utterly obtuse.

And still no one talking Sundays. Doesn't fit the argument.

Ur not reading a GD word I'm writing. Butt hurt. I never said Tress was "bad". I said he was good but not great as perceived. tOSU is a great. Tress was good.

And talk Sundays away the past 5 years. Go ahead. The quality names you let on Sunday are all from < 2005 classes.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/

Tress slipped. Saying so don't make me wear maize and blue.
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:48 pm

I turned down Ursaline and Mooney/Pelko to stay with Yeagley. We would have won state, trust in that. At the very least I would have played Koesters for the title.

And I never scored a touchdown in ky life Ziner. I think it is why I am such an online prick.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:49 pm

He might have been in a lull of sorts JB, but with these Ohio Classes it wouldn't have been but a few years before another string of great players was coming through Columbus to the NFL.
JCoz

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:53 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:And I never scored a touchdown in ky life Ziner. I think it is why I am such an online prick.

Makes sense. No wonder you still are pissed about it, my apologies.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby jb » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:57 pm

JCoz wrote:He might have been in a lull of sorts JB, but with these Ohio Classes it wouldn't have been but a few years before another string of great players was coming through Columbus to the NFL.

See, to me when the future is uncertain, and a few Ohio 5 stars getting over the fence lately, so to speak, your "lull" is my "decline".

Salient point remains; Meyer > Tressell and it isn't that close. It took a scandal to do better than good.
jb

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:00 pm

Those 5 stars that got over the fence were never buckeye leans or considered as such.

Tress's recruiting was actually as strong as its ever been when this mess hit. That isn't even debatable.

That said, yah, Meyer is better and always will be.
JCoz

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:02 pm

"I love it," Meyer said of recruiting. "Not like, love. It's competition."

Thats a special breed of coach right there.
JCoz

Unread postby jb » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:02 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I turned down Ursaline and Mooney/Pelko to stay with Yeagley. We would have won state, trust in that. At the very least I would have played Koesters for the title.

And I never scored a touchdown in ky life Ziner. I think it is why I am such an online prick.

Yeagley should have run more tackle eligibles. Would make for a kinder, gentler domain.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:02 pm

jb wrote:[And talk Sundays away the past 5 years. Go ahead. The quality names you let on Sunday are all from < 2005 classes.

Heyward, Hines, Robiskie, Hartline, Pryor, Spitler, Chekwa, Wells, Rob Sims, Saine, Dane, Browning, B Rolle, K Coleman, J Cordle, Ross Homan, J Boren, etc. , etc....et al all > 2005.

Kids like that are not locked into either OSU or MAC/Conf USA schools. They can (most of them) write their own ticket and play where they want to play, no?

Great job recruiting anyway you look at it if you're keeping score on Meyer's scoreboard. Mediocre job getting everything from them, I'd agree.

But this was a recruiting-based discussion. Bust out the mediocre game theorist and stone age offensive mind when applicable ya squirrely bastard.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:04 pm

JCoz wrote:"I love it," Meyer said of recruiting. "Not like, love. It's competition."

Thats a special breed of coach right there.

Tress was quoted as "I just like recruiting. It's OK. Sometime Brent and Mark beat me on a kid and I stop calling him out of our gentlemen's agreement. I don't hate recruiting, but I really don't love it. I'd rather be drawing up punt plays on the white board and teaching Terrelle life skills."
jb

Unread postby jb » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:05 pm

peeker643 wrote:
jb wrote:[And talk Sundays away the past 5 years. Go ahead. The quality names you let on Sunday are all from < 2005 classes.

Heyward, Hines, Robiskie, Hartline, Pryor, Spitler, Chekwa, Wells, Rob Sims, Saine, Dane, Browning, B Rolle, K Coleman, J Cordle, Ross Homan, J Boren, etc. , etc....et al all > 2005.

EXACTLY!!! Not a fuckin' impact Sunday player in the bunch.

Good, not great, talent.

Couple differences between you and I, Peeker.

You made a good decision with your first marriage, I didn't.

You stayed in better shape (although I'm back on it now, look out).

You can play baseball. I never could at all.

You gave up on your hair, I'm OK with a bald spot.

I look at dog food and say "that's good for a dog". You look at dog food and think up recipes with raman noodles.
Last edited by jb on Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jb

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:07 pm

Doesn't change the fact that in recruiting, Tress was on an UPWARD trajectory post 2005, basically the opposite of what you are saying here.
JCoz

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:09 pm

Last time I saw the numbers, Peeks, OSU was second only to Miami (maybe USC too?) in putting players into the NFL over the last decade. That may well be outdated info by now though. And to Tressel's credit, his last two first-rounders, IIRC, were out of state recruits...(Heyward, Jenkins)...so you can't say they landed in his lap.

None of which negates JB's point about there being a drop-off in talent in the second half of JT's decade...a drop-off that is measurable in higher round draft picks. We can go back and look at them all under the microscope if you like, but I don't think you would dispute the point.

Funny though, how you seem to take some run of the mill observations and turn it into people asserting Tressel's insufferable awfulness or the sycophantic fellating of the new lord and master ...or whatever. Don't get that.

danwismar

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:09 pm

Fact is that on paper, Tressel's 08-11 Classes beat the pants off his earlier recruiting, and this would have been an outstanding class as well, not much lower at all than where Meyer is sitting.
JCoz

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports Arena