Text Size

College Sports Arena

Wetzel interviews Meyer

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Wetzel interviews Meyer

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:53 pm

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/n ... ach_013112

This column generates some fabulous quotes from Urban Meyer...

if this doesn't get you jazzed...

“I don’t go out and recruit a certain player,” Meyer says. “I recruit the best player, and competitive nature, his desire to win, is without question the most important thing. I used to be into, ‘Is he a three-quarter [throwing motion]? Does he have four fingers on the laces or five?’ I don’t care anymore.

“I don’t believe NFL, college or high school coaches [realize its importance],” Meyer says. “And I was guilty of it for a while. You talk about his competitiveness for a while and then you start talking about his footwork. I don’t really care about his footwork. When we coach him, we’ll go over that. We can teach that. You can’t coach competitiveness.

---

You’re going to get a very prestigious degree,” Meyer says. “You’re going to have one of the most powerful alumni bases in America. And we have a plan in place to go and compete for championships. The plan works. The plan involves great coaches and great players, but it works.

“This isn’t our first rodeo. We’ve been to the mountaintop. We’re not devising a plan. We have a plan. And I think that’s important for a kid to know that.”

---

“There is no such thing as a ‘system,’ ” he says. “It’s players. Auburn won a national championship running a system. That system wasn’t very good this year. So it’s a player.

“So I get real defensive about that because this is a players’ game. It’s all about recruiting and development of players. There are no gurus. None. So whenever you hear a coach say how good their system is, say, ‘Whoa, whoa, whoa.’ “
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Re: Wetzel interviews Meyer

Unread postby noles1 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:09 pm

Now those are some fuckin quotes. Refreshing as all hell.

That's one of the better modern day takes from a person in Meyer's actual position. It's complete comfort to be in a position to say what he has. He's not trying to milk an extension, over-inflate himself. He just boils it down to the brass tax. At any level, players make a helluva difference.

Can I get this thought process superimposed into Holmgren and Schurmur's brains for the love of God?
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:50 pm

Night and day from Tressel in so many ways.

Meyer is going to take the straight-jackets off of his offensive talent, and it's going to be some fun.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:18 am

I just want to see our offense continue to play after accumulating a 14 point lead. I personally think the biggest letdown of Tressel-ball is that it inhibits the growth of the depth/youth. I never understood why he would jump out to a 2-3 TD lead in the 2nd quarter against some crappy team and leave the starters in to effectively take a knee for the next two quarters.

I don't think you should hang 70 on everyone, but there are other ways to "run out the clock." Bring in the kids and let them throw it around a little. No need to leave the starters in up 35-7 in the second or third, but if you are going to bring in the bench, let them do something.

The Buckeyes wasted a lot of precious game snaps under Tressel and I hated watching it.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby jb » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:15 am

Short version:

I'm Urban Fuckin' Meyer and I'm from Ohio Fuckin' State. Nice to meet you. Can you play for us or what?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:05 pm

I am sans jazz.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:05 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I am sans jazz.

C'mon, man...you're just bitter about having been so wrong three years ago.

"N-E-V-E-R"

danwismar

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:32 pm

My jazz level will rise once we get closer to the spring game....

But yeah, I whiffed badly on the Meyer prediction.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:31 pm

danwismar wrote:http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-wetzel_meyer_ohio_state_refreshed_coach_013112

This column generates some fabulous quotes from Urban Meyer...

if this doesn't get you jazzed...

“I don’t go out and recruit a certain player,” Meyer says. “I recruit the best player, and competitive nature, his desire to win, is without question the most important thing. I used to be into, ‘Is he a three-quarter [throwing motion]? Does he have four fingers on the laces or five?’ I don’t care anymore.

“I don’t believe NFL, college or high school coaches [realize its importance],” Meyer says. “And I was guilty of it for a while. You talk about his competitiveness for a while and then you start talking about his footwork. I don’t really care about his footwork. When we coach him, we’ll go over that. We can teach that. You can’t coach competitiveness.

---

You’re going to get a very prestigious degree,” Meyer says. “You’re going to have one of the most powerful alumni bases in America. And we have a plan in place to go and compete for championships. The plan works. The plan involves great coaches and great players, but it works.

“This isn’t our first rodeo. We’ve been to the mountaintop. We’re not devising a plan. We have a plan. And I think that’s important for a kid to know that.”

---

“There is no such thing as a ‘system,’ ” he says. “It’s players. Auburn won a national championship running a system. That system wasn’t very good this year. So it’s a player.

“So I get real defensive about that because this is a players’ game. It’s all about recruiting and development of players. There are no gurus. None. So whenever you hear a coach say how good their system is, say, ‘Whoa, whoa, whoa.’ “

This is what I'm talking about when it comes to Meyer. Guy is going to recruit the most special players he can and give them the ball, simple plan. Its all about recruiting the best players in the country for him.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:42 pm

JCoz wrote:This is what I'm talking about when it comes to Meyer. Guy is going to recruit the most special players he can and give them the ball, simple plan. Its all about recruiting the best players in the country for him.

No. As previously noted, that's just the half of it.. ;-) ;) :wink:

BTW- I look at Braxton Miller as maybe the biggest recruit landed this year now that Meyer is here. You want to see what I'm talking about in terms of development, watch and wait...
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:54 pm

Fuck I just lost a whole gaddamn response.

Peeker this is college football, the raw talent disparity is so much greater than in the pro's it isn't funny, that makes having better raw materials all the more important.

Meyer keeps saying it you just aren't hearing it.

Everyone develops players, some do it better than others. Meyer, Saban, Carrol, all the best coaches in the land can develop talent and do.

What seperates is who gets the best raw materials to work with.
JCoz

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:08 pm

“I tell our guys,” Meyer said, “you really have no value to a program if you can’t recruit.”

This quote pretty much says it all.
JCoz

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:09 pm

JCoz wrote:Fuck I just lost a whole gaddamn response.

Peeker this is college football, the raw talent disparity is so much greater than in the pro's it isn't funny, that makes having better raw materials all the more important.

Meyer keeps saying it you just aren't hearing it.

Everyone develops players, some do it better than others. Meyer, Saban, Carrol, all the best coaches in the land can develop talent and do.

What seperates is who gets the best raw materials to work with.

:thud:

Never mind, dude. You're right. His FLA teams were first in recruiting every single season. No one else got the better recruiting classes. Mack Brown's multiple number ones have dominated college football in terms of titles for the last decade.

There are dozens of 4* and 5* guys man. Why don't they just award the MNC based on a compilation of Rivals/ESPN, etc recruiting rankings and be done with it?

I'm the one not hearing anything yet you're the one ignoring his direct quote by conveniently leaving half of it off the table. I hear him saying he's going to get the very best out there. That's a HUGE part of it. But leave it at that and you're not winning shit.

It's both. No one gets them all and you better develop the ones you get.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:16 pm

JCoz wrote:
“I tell our guys,” Meyer said, “you really have no value to a program if you can’t recruit.”

This quote pretty much says it all.

Gaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesus- The best ingredients HELP make the best meal.

But not if they're rotting on the goddamn counter or if the chef doesn't prepare it right. Like I said, that Pryor Stew was disappointing as hell even though you had everything you needed to make something great.

Otherwise Meyer and his coaches should just get them to sign and then take the spring, summer and fall off.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:19 pm

Its not about the #1 ranking on Rivals Peeker, you are missing the point. Yah, those services give you a great idea of whose getting the best players, but its still just like the draft.

We can all look on paper and say who we think had the best draft the day after but you dont find out right then.

Its about getting the best PLAYERS.

His Florida teams had guys like Percy Harvin and Tim Tebow. Polish as many turds as you want Peeker you'll never end up with THAT guy when you are done developing.

Sorry you refuse to accept it or whatever but its true. There are only a hnds full of truly special gamechangers a season and 112+ teams going after them.

Macks only NC came at at the hands of who? Vince Young. Meyer owes much to Percy and Tebow, and the Bucks dont win one without Mo C. The national champions of the last 20 years are staring you in the face with those highly recruited stars but you wont accept that for some reason.
JCoz

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:40 pm

peeker643 wrote:
JCoz wrote:This is what I'm talking about when it comes to Meyer. Guy is going to recruit the most special players he can and give them the ball, simple plan. Its all about recruiting the best players in the country for him.

No. As previously noted, that's just the half of it.. ;-) ;) :wink:

BTW- I look at Braxton Miller as maybe the biggest recruit landed this year now that Meyer is here. You want to see what I'm talking about in terms of development, watch and wait...

I understand development Peek. But the real reason you're all "wait and see" is because he already has a five star ubertalented player to develop.

I mean I don't get what you are seeing when you read that - what do you think he's saying right there?

He's saying get the right players and anyone can be a guru.
JCoz

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:41 pm

Exactly- Like Pryor, Sabino, Brewster, Posey, Shugarts and Adams and their run of titles.

And Melvin Fellows, Dorian Bell, Eugene Clifford, Larry Grant, Connor Smith and Andrew Norwell and those kind of nationally ranked 5*/4* guys.

No one is arguing you don't need elite players. No one was arguing a couple years ago that the guys I noted above were elite (or about to be).

Ginn was elite, one of the top 3-5 players in the world. So was Pryor. Where's our Vince Young/Percy Harvin title with those guys?

You think maybe Meyer put his elites in better position to win? Ohio State has had elite recruits before. Yes, the more you get the better off you'll be, obviously.

But you're being ridiculous trying to tell us that's where it ends. Seriously. To act like I'm missing how important is to get and have elite players is bullshit. No one here is saying that so stop intimating that's the case.

Recruiting is half the battle and no more. You can pound the table all day and it doesn't change that fact. :cheers:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:57 pm

Peek is dropping cooking analogies on your asses.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Return to College Sports Arena