Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Free Agent Signings/Trades

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Free Agent Signings/Trades

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:13 pm

Thus far, we've signed:

IF Jose Lopez
OF Felix Pie
IF Andy LaRoche
RHP Robinson Tejeda
SS Chin-lung Hu
RHP Chris Ray
RHP Willy Lebron
RHP Jeremy Accardo
OF Fred Lewis

a couple other stiffs

and now, today, OF Ryan Spilborghs.

A few decent minor league depth moves there with some pitchers who have had varying levels of success in the bigs.

Spilborghs might be our 4th OF, or might at least battle Shelley Duncan for the job. Spilborghs does have a lifetime .273/.357/.443 slash against LHP.

Spilborghs reminds me a bit of the Buck signing last year.

Edit: And we just now traded Zach Putnam to COL in exchange for Kevin Slowey.
Last edited by skatingtripods on Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Free Agent Signings

Unread postby onlyindreams » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:30 pm

Spilbroughs had a scintillating .380 OPS away from Coors last season. :thumb up:
onlyindreams

Favorite Player: Browns Backup QB
Least Favorite Player: Browns Starting QB

Unread postby pup » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:33 pm

onlyindreams wrote:Spilbroughs had a scintillating .380 OPS away from Coors last season. :thumb up:

And we are off...

How did he do on the fourth Saturday of each week?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby onlyindreams » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:48 pm

pup wrote:
onlyindreams wrote:Spilbroughs had a scintillating .380 OPS away from Coors last season. :thumb up:

And we are off...

I don't think they keep those stats. I was just looking at last season and thought that was a remarkably bad split.
onlyindreams

Favorite Player: Browns Backup QB
Least Favorite Player: Browns Starting QB

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:03 pm

pup wrote:[And we are off...

There is only one Saturday per week both at Coors and on the road.
Love child of shawn kemp

Favorite Player: Flash Gordon
Least Favorite Player: TWofA

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:09 pm

pup wrote:

And we are off...

Here's someone who doesn't get it.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby pup » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:21 pm

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:
pup wrote:

And we are off...

Here's someone who doesn't get it.

Referring to yourself I presume?

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby gotribe31 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:58 pm

Not trying to pick sides in the greater debate here, but he really does have remarkable home/road splits for his career.

Home: 758 AB, .306/.379/.483 with 23 HR and a 124 OPS+
Road: 803 AB, .239/.313/.366 with 19 HR and a 77 OPS+

Again, this has nothing to do with Michael Young, the eye test vs stats or anything else going on in the other thread. But for a guy who's spent his whole career in Colorado, he seems like a guy that enjoys hitting in Coors Field.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby pup » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:09 pm

gotribe31 wrote:Not trying to pick sides in the greater debate here, but he really does have remarkable home/road splits for his career.

Home: 758 AB, .306/.379/.483 with 23 HR and a 124 OPS+
Road: 803 AB, .239/.313/.366 with 19 HR and a 77 OPS+

Again, this has nothing to do with Michael Young, the eye test vs stats or anything else going on in the other thread. But for a guy who's spent his whole career in Colorado, he seems like a guy that enjoys hitting in Coors Field.

Yes he does.

He could also really like sleeping in his own bed.

The truf? Probably somewhere in the middle. Which might make him the #2 OF in Cleveland. Wonder why his HR are not really effected? 1 in 39 @ home, 1 in 42 on the road.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:17 pm

Why is everyone ignoring the Gregorio Petit signing? The guy hit .400 away from Oakland in his career, so he should be awesome if he ever makes it to Progressive Field.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:23 pm

Pup, have you seen the guy take a single at bat in your life. Even one? And if you have, do you think your eyes have given you enough info to make an even remotely accurate assessment?

Because any time anyone here writes anything with a number in it you act as if they've never seen a baseball game in their life and have no idea what they are talking about.

I mean, honest to fucking god, the numbers and stats aren't the end all be all. Most of us understand this and acknowledge it. but they do mean something. They reveal something. They help us to understand, evaluate, illuminate. And yes, home/road splits mean something. They just do, even if you've decided that you'd rather just ignore them completely.

go watch this new guy take enough cuts, and play in enough games and then come back here and make everyone who has the audacity to drop a stat into a post feel like dick who doesn't know the first thing about baseball.

Me, I've never seen this guy play. Ever. So what the fuck else am I supposed to go on besides the stats?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby pup » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:33 pm

motherscratcher wrote:Pup, have you seen the guy take a single at bat in your life. Even one? And if you have, do you think your eyes have given you enough info to make an even remotely accurate assessment?

Because any time anyone here writes anything with a number in it you act as if they've never seen a baseball game in their life and have no idea what they are talking about.

I mean, honest to fucking god, the numbers and stats aren't the end all be all. Most of us understand this and acknowledge it. but they do mean something. They reveal something. They help us to understand, evaluate, illuminate. And yes, home/road splits mean something. They just do, even if you've decided that you'd rather just ignore them completely.

go watch this new guy take enough cuts, and play in enough games and then come back here and make everyone who has the audacity to drop a stat into a post feel like dick who doesn't know the first thing about baseball.

Me, I've never seen this guy play. Ever. So what the fuck else am I supposed to go on besides the stats?

Yes, I have seen him play. Been a guy I followed because he always found AB for Colorado and I am in an NL only fantasy league.

And I would take him in my lineup over Mike Brantley, Shells Duncan and the version of Grady Sizemore we have had the last couple of years.

He hits the ball to all fields. Has a little power and decent speed. Very good defensively in all 3 OF spots.

About home and road splits? They mean very little. Some guys hit better at the place they are comfortable. Some guys dig the backdrop at some places. Just because a guy has good home splits at a place like Coors doesn't mean he can't have those same home and road splits playing in Cleveland.

I mean, if the only played in games Colorado won since he has been there, he would be an All Star with an OPS+ of 134. So I guess he should go to the Yankees or Red Sox since they win a lot.

Just don't play him in right field, because he is a much worse hitter playing RF than he is a CF. And I would only let him bat in the 2nd, 4th and 5th innings.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Re: Free Agent Signings/Trades

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:05 pm

Kevin Slowey is an Indian (or Clipper). Traded away Zach Putnam.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:28 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Kevin Slowey is an Indian (or Clipper). Traded away Zach Putnam.

Kevin Slowey last season

Home: 109 tOPS+
Road: 89 tOPS+

I can only conclude that he sleeps well in motels.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby bookelly » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:38 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Kevin Slowey is an Indian (or Clipper). Traded away Zach Putnam.

If he's healthy, he's an nice pick-up. Especially at $2.75 Mil per year. It's a big If though.

By my guess we have $11 Mil left in the coffers (Fausto's 7 - Slowey = 4.25 + the 7 we didn't spend on Pena.)
11 million could make our bid for Cespedes interesting.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby Jumbo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:53 pm

pup wrote:He could also really like sleeping in his own bed.

pup wrote:About home and road splits? They mean very little. Some guys hit better at the place they are comfortable. Some guys dig the backdrop at some places. Just because a guy has good home splits at a place like Coors doesn't mean he can't have those same home and road splits playing in Cleveland.

So, do they give the hitters all the comfortable beds in Denver, and consign the pitchers to wooden pallets?

This isn't rocket science. Even after the humidor, hitters (generally speaking) hit better in Coors than elsewhere, including the Prog. Spilborghs hits better at Coors than elsewhere, and that would probably including the Prog. Even if he still has a positive home/road split next year (as most players do), he won't have the Coors advantage.

pup wrote:Wonder why his HR are not really effected? 1 in 39 @ home, 1 in 42 on the road.

Coors Field doesn't just give up a lot of home-runs. There's also all the hits that drop in because of the large outfield dimensions.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby pup » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:45 am

motherscratcher wrote:Pup, have you seen the guy take a single at bat in your life. Even one? And if you have, do you think your eyes have given you enough info to make an even remotely accurate assessment?

Very valid complaint about me bombing every thread that has stats.

I shall pick my spots better...and Ryan Spillbroughs is probably not one of those spots.

Even though he is probably my favorite NRI over the last couple of years.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:58 am

motherscratcher wrote:

Kevin Slowey last season

Home: 109 tOPS+
Road: 89 tOPS+

I can only conclude that he sleeps well in motels.

Maybe his road sleeping partners are more fun than Mrs. Slowey
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Pressrunnr » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:18 pm

Offseason is starting to remind me of the '06-'07 one where they loaded up on, shall we say, "undervalued" players to fill holes. It turns out they even ended up with another "Oldberto" in "Roberto Hernandez Heredia" who also has age issues. On the other hand, I'll take the same outcome -- a playoff year in spite of none of the offseason moves working out.
Pressrunnr

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:44 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:
Maybe his road sleeping partners are more fun than Mrs. Slowey

I dont know, how can anybody be more fun than a lady named Mrs. Slowey.
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:52 pm

I'm not against the trade for Kevin Slowey...not a bad pick-up, and if he's recovered from his injuries and pitches according to his usual standards, he would at least be a decent back of the rotation guy. That being said...

One of my concerns with this offseason is one that I don't think has been addressed too much...our one tradeable "asset" is (or was) relief pitching, particularly in the high minors. It's not a great asset, but it is the one area of depth we could pull from to help in areas of need. And while the club has used this avenue, they've done it in a very piece-meal fashion, making several small deals in order to acquire bit players and used parts. Hopefully useful bit players and used parts, but still.

From this area of depth, we've now lost Putnam, Judy, Burns, and Jones (the Lowe guy). I don't think any of us--myself included--misses those guys or is losing sleep over their departure. However, perhaps if they (especially the first two) had been dealt together, they could have been used to aid in acquiring a more impact-style player, maybe the first baseman we much more desperately need. At the very least, they could have been major "pot-sweeteners." Now, they're all gone separately in much lesser, low-impact deals. Seems like a bit of a waste of assets to me. If you're going to trade those guys, make a bigger splash.
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:00 pm

In general our organization is pretty thin in terms of advanced minor league talent. Some would argue Major League talent as well, but that's a different discussion altogether.

That said, we didn't have the depth necessary to put together a larger deal for a more impact type stick, and I'm not sure any of those 4 relief pitchers would have really sweetened any pots. Let's face it, we let Judy go without even bothering to try to deal him. That says a lot about how they view his over-all potential.

Right handed middle relievers without much major league experience are a dime a dozen.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:28 pm

We never had the ammo this offseason to make a trade for an impact bat. First, there aren't many available. Second, there'd be a reason that a team was trading them, likely contract-related.

Goldstein over at BPro (I think, either that or BA) said we have one of the three worst farm systems in baseball right now to somebody on Twitter a couple weeks ago. Lindor's our consensus best prospect and he's an 18-year-old kid who barely has gotten a taste of A-ball.

We'll get an upgrade at 1B, but I think we're about done besides that.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby gotribe31 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:41 pm

skatingtripods wrote:We never had the ammo this offseason to make a trade for an impact bat. First, there aren't many available. Second, there'd be a reason that a team was trading them, likely contract-related.

Goldstein over at BPro (I think, either that or BA) said we have one of the three worst farm systems in baseball right now to somebody on Twitter a couple weeks ago. Lindor's our consensus best prospect and he's an 18-year-old kid who barely has gotten a taste of A-ball.

We'll get an upgrade at 1B, but I think we're about done besides that.

Agreed, you have to give up something to get something.

It was probably BA. We have one of the three most volatile systems in basebal right now, but not one of the three worst. Lindor would be the top guy in a few systems around baseball right now...he has the potential to be that good. Behind him though, there are a number of known quantities with low ceilings and a number of unknown quantities with high ceilings. I'd go into more detail, but then I'd just be stealing my own thunder from the system overview and top 50 prospects list I'm laboring through right now.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:25 pm

BA's Top Ten Rankings for the Tribe at the time of publishing. Obviously Putnam is now gone. It's thin, with the top two of them really not having played much professional ball at this point, the next two projecting out as late inning setup type guys and the rest of the pitchers as 4-5 starters or relief pitchers.

1. Francisco Lindor, ss
2. Dillon Howard, rhp
3. Nick Hagadone, lhp
4. Chen Lee, rhp
5. Luigi Rodriguez, of
6. Zach McAllister, rhp
7. Tony Wolters, ss
8. Austin Adams, rhp
9. Scott Barnes, lhp
10. Zach Putnam, rhp

We didn't make any impact trades because we didn't have chips to deal.

Take it all with a grain of salt, here was their 2015 projected lineup. Note who they have playing CF and 1B.

Catcher Carlos Santana
First Base Matt LaPorta
Second Base Asdrubal Cabrera
Third Base Lonnie Chisenhall
Shortstop Francisco Lindor
Left Field Michael Brantley
Center Field Grady Sizemore
Right Field Shin-Soo Choo
Designated Hitter Jason Kipnis
No. 1 Starter Ubaldo Jimenez
No. 2 Starter Justin Masterson
No. 3 Starter Carlos Carrasco
No. 4 Starter Dillon Howard
No. 5 Starter Josh Tomlin
Closer Chris Perez
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:46 pm

Damn, no #WashTime
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:44 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Damn, no #WashTime

Which, honestely, is just plain dumb. The guy had an off-year, yes, but it was mostly due to injuries and adjusting to wood for the 1st time. He's an oustanding athlete, and in this system there's no doubt he's still a top 10 guy.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:59 pm

gotribe31 wrote:and adjusting to wood for the 1st time

Have at it guys who are more creative than me.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby bookelly » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:34 am

We've been linked to Oswalt. My guess is he signs for at least 10 Mil on a one year deal. No way do we offer that much. This could very well be more of the lip service we've heard about every other FA.

"Like a fool who struts and frets his stuff upon the stage. Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." - Bill on the Indians FO.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:41 am

MLBastian
According to @hoynsie, Indians offered 1B Carlos Pena 1-yr, $8M contract. He took 1-yr, $7.25M with Rays. Ain't always about money.

I would imagine that's more insulting then being told "not enough money"

And that Top Prospect list is terrible. Did the Indians go from having a good farm system, and a bad pro team to a bad farm system and a bad pro team?

WTF?
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby pup » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:28 am

Erie Warrior wrote:MLBastian
According to @hoynsie, Indians offered 1B Carlos Pena 1-yr, $8M contract. He took 1-yr, $7.25M with Rays. Ain't always about money.

And that Top Prospect list is terrible. Did the Indians go from having a good farm system, and a bad pro team to a bad farm system and a bad pro team?

WTF?

3/4 M$ to go to a place you are comfortable and wins might be worth taking less money.

Kind of makes me chuckle, thinking back to the days Lord Shapiro and his Wedgie Minion told us free agents will chose Cleveland because we do things the right way. Maybe that theory was correct...but boy has the execution been shitty.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:48 am

skatingtripods wrote:

I missed this. Sorry. But if anyone knows about this very thing, I think it's gotribe31.

:hide:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:04 pm

peeker643 wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:

I missed this. Sorry. But if anyone knows about this very thing, I think it's gotribe31.

A good number of pole smokers on this site never had to adjust at all.

(I think I now know how it feels to be RatTail after killing a thread....)
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:34 pm

skatingtripods wrote:

Kaz Tadano adjusted pretty well to wood.
Adverb Harry

Unread postby gotribe31 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:18 pm

peeker643 wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:

5 days and thats the best you could come up with?
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby gotribe31 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:26 pm

WTF?

Probably when their top 2 hitting prospects graduated to the majors and their top 2 pitching prospects were traded at the deadline last year. That would do major damage to pretty much every system in baseball.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:01 pm

gotribe31 wrote:Probably when their top 2 hitting prospects graduated to the majors and their top 2 pitching prospects were traded at the deadline last year. That would do major damage to pretty much every system in baseball.

Yeah, in theory, we can call Kipnis and Chisenhall our two top prospects. Keeping that in mind, we look alright with position players.

But, man, we have zero FOR pitching prospects. Lucky to get a MOR candidate or two.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:10 pm

First Prince signs with Detroit and now this.

Julio Lugo deal falls apart. This sucks, the guy had killer home/road splits.

Info on what went wrong is still coming in but Aaron Gleeman probably hits closest to the truth:

Or maybe someone in the Indians’ front office realized what was happening and said: “Wait, is this the same Julio Lugo? The 36-year-old one?”

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/30/indians-deal-with-julio-lugo-has-fallen-apart/
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Jumbo » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:47 pm

motherscratcher wrote:First Prince signs with Detroit and now this.

Info on what went wrong is still coming in but Aaron Gleeman probably hits closest to the truth:

Or maybe someone in the Indians’ front office realized what was happening and said: “Wait, is this the same Julio Lugo? The 36-year-old one?”

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/30/indians-deal-with-julio-lugo-has-fallen-apart/

Yes.

Was there any word of any interest in Julio Lugo before that interest was reported as falling apart? Signing Lugo would've been the most pointless pickup since Jason Bere.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:59 pm

gotribe31 wrote:

WTF?

Probably when their top 2 hitting prospects graduated to the majors and their top 2 pitching prospects were traded at the deadline last year. That would do major damage to pretty much every system in baseball.

Does this mean we can at least agree that anyone leading the 'Free Cord Phelps' chants last year was simply a moron?

;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby andrew6586 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:28 pm

Jumbo wrote:

Yes.

Was there any word of any interest in Julio Lugo before that interest was reported as falling apart? Signing Lugo would've been the most pointless pickup since every other FA signing this off season

Fixed.
Once a fan, always a fan.
On Twitter @apac6586
andrew6586
Church of Asdrubal

Favorite Player: Kenny Lofton
Least Favorite Player: Mark Shapiro

Unread postby Jumbo » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:09 am

andrew6586 wrote:
Jumbo wrote:

Yes.

Was there any word of any interest in Julio Lugo before that interest was reported as falling apart? Signing Lugo would've been the most pointless pickup since every other FA signing this off season

Fixed.

Eh, you can at least make some kind of rational case for the various minor league signings and NRIs in terms of depth, lightning in a bottle, or whatnot. Lugo doesn't offer even that much.

Apparently, and I must have missed this, but the Indians actually signed Lugo a few weeks ago to a minor league contract that fell through for some reason or another (presumably medical). Either way, no harm, no foul, carry on.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Unread postby Jumbo » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:29 am

Another one to add to the list: Russ Canzler for cash from the Rays.

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=386508

I didn't know who he was. Looks like a 25 year old utility corner infielder and outfielder and MVP of the International League. In other words, a right handed LaPorta who can play in the outfield...the very definition of Replacement Player.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:45 am

peeker643 wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:

WTF?

Does this mean we can at least agree that anyone leading the 'Free Cord Phelps' chants last year was simply a moron?

Prick.

My point was simply that given consistent AB's, Cord Phelps was a better option than OC. Which he was. I still think he can be a quality utility infielder, if not a 2nd-division starter at 2B. You're just pissed because he's taller and less adorable than Jamey Carroll.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:50 am

gotribe31 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:

WTF?

Prick.

My point was simply that given consistent AB's, Cord Phelps was a better option than OC. Which he was. I still think he can be a quality utility infielder, if not a 2nd-division starter at 2B. You're just pissed because he's taller and less adorable than Jamey Carroll.

Isn't everyone?
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:02 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:

WTF?

Prick.

Isn't everyone?

Yes. Thank you. Most lucid sentence and thought you've expressed here in weeks. ;-) ;) :wink:

And Cord Phelps wasn't a better option than OC, with or without consistent ABs. Not last year. He was overwhelemed and played scared, not to mention played poorly. That's just not better than OC and I'm the first to agree it wouldn't have taken much at all to exceed what OC 'gave'. Phelps didn't do it.

And I agree he can still be a decent player. But he wasn't ready. He was one of the top prospects coming into last season. Where is he now? (Legit question).

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:10 pm

peeker643 wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:

WTF?

Prick.

Isn't everyone?

Yes. Thank you. Most lucid sentence and thought you've expressed here in weeks. ;-) ;) :wink:

And Cord Phelps wasn't a better option than OC, with or without consistent ABs. Not last year. He was overwhelemed and played scared, not to mention played poorly. That's just not better than OC and I'm the first to agree it wouldn't have taken much at all to exceed what OC 'gave'. Phelps didn't do it.

And I agree he can still be a decent player. But he wasn't ready. He was one of the top prospects coming into last season. Where is he now? (Legit question).

He's still a top-20 prospect since he has less than 130 ML AB's. For me, he's still pretty much right where I had him last year; utility guy with a ceiling of 2nd division starter. Just because he stepped on his crank in his first 71 MLB at bats (which he most certianly did, not arguing that at all) doesn't doom him to be a failure forever.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:13 pm

No it does not. I agree 100%. Sometimes it's the best thing for a guy. He can use it for motivation or he can let it kill him. Not sure about his make up so we shall see.

When is AZ? You need creds? Lemme know and I can start the process.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:42 pm

peeker643 wrote:No it does not. I agree 100%. Sometimes it's the best thing for a guy. He can use it for motivation or he can let it kill him. Not sure about his make up so we shall see.

When is AZ? You need creds? Lemme know and I can start the process.

Yeah, was just going to e-mail you about that actually. I'll be there from March 21-26. Fired up to get down there, can't wait for baseball and to see some of these kids play. The top-50 list has been a fun, miserable, confusing and enjoyable experience so far, and I'm only halfway through it. Last year's list was much, much easier to write.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm

Jumbo wrote:Another one to add to the list: Russ Canzler for cash from the Rays.

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=386508

I didn't know who he was. Looks like a 25 year old utility corner infielder and outfielder and MVP of the International League. In other words, a right handed LaPorta who can play in the outfield...the very definition of Replacement Player.

This is one of those "ho-hum" deals that I actually kind of like, based on the low cost (cash considerations), his relative youth (won't be 26 until mid-April), his versality (can play all corner positions), and his success at AAA in his first season there. Plus, he's got options remaining. Sure, he's a little on the old side for a prospect (didn't play AAA until 25), and his strikeout numbers are a little on the high side, but he looks like he's at least capable of taking a walk, and he's hardly ancient. May be a late bloomer who can at least be somewhat useful, and for the price, why not?

Would I have preferred a flashier acquisition? Absolutely. But if we're going to make this type of low-key, minor-league pickup, at least it's for a guy with some real upside who actually makes sense. I could see this one working out for us. (And if he doesn't, no big loss.)
Adverb Harry

Next

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB