Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Grossi off Browns beat

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:28 pm

So says The Scene. All because of his tweet calling Lerner "pathetic":

http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-hea ... rner-tweet

Tony and Browns owners just don't get along.
GodHatesClevelandSport
 
Posts: 1167
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:48 am
Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Re: Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:44 pm

I thought I had stumbled into a portal to 1994.

Good thing for Tony he spent so little time doing that job. He'll hardly have to look for something to do to fill it.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22625
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:53 pm

Where was that piece done by hiko making fun of the pd staff a while back?
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.


Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
User avatar
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories
 
Posts: 6363
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:26 pm
Location: Kent-Green, Ohio
Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:54 pm

That tweet probably was the best reporting Grossi had done in years, but there was no way he kept his job after publishing that. The corporate powers that be wouldn't tolerate it.

As a former reporter, I know all too well that the truth is the last thing newspapers are interested in publishing, it usually leads to a decrease in ad revenue.
User avatar
justmebd
 
Posts: 1449
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:27 pm
Location: Youngstown, OH
Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Re: Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:58 pm

I will not miss him. Just had a constipated feel to his reporting the last 5 years. Came across as bitter and whiny, which obviously culminated in his completely stupid and useless tweet shot at Lerner. When you're doing his job, you just simply can't say those things, no matter if you believe them or not. Not only does it make you look petty and unprofessional, but you just killed your pipeline to the Browns brass, which is a pretty important part of your job.

They had to move him. Tony gave them no choice. He's not stupid, hard to believe that his tweet wasn't a subconsious plea to be reassigned.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4273
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:01 pm

Triple-S wrote:Where was that piece done by hiko making fun of the pd staff a while back?


http://www.theclevelandfan.com/cleveland-browns/1-browns-archive/4787
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4273
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby jb » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:43 pm

Boom.

Roasted.

Second time in his career.

Guess the billionaire wasn't so irrelevant .
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby jb » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:44 pm

peeker643 wrote:I thought I had stumbled into a portal to 1994.

Good thing for Tony he spent so little time doing that job. He'll hardly have to look for something to do to fill it.



So you make an ask yet?
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby jb » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:45 pm

justmebd wrote:That tweet probably was the best reporting Grossi had done in years, but there was no way he kept his job after publishing that. The corporate powers that be wouldn't tolerate it.

As a former reporter, I know all too well that the truth is the last thing newspapers are interested in publishing, it usually leads to a decrease in ad revenue.



There's still ad revenue in newspaper publishing?
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:47 pm

I assume so. Then again, the last newspaper I worked for closed down four years ago, so a lot could have happened in that time. :)
User avatar
justmebd
 
Posts: 1449
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:27 pm
Location: Youngstown, OH
Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Re: Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby jb » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:49 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
Triple-S wrote:Where was that piece done by hiko making fun of the pd staff a while back?


http://www.theclevelandfan.com/cleveland-browns/1-browns-archive/4787



I want the story on TP, restraining order jokes, and interns on laps.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby googleeph2 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:10 pm

jb wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
Triple-S wrote:Where was that piece done by hiko making fun of the pd staff a while back?


http://www.theclevelandfan.com/cleveland-browns/1-browns-archive/4787



I want the story on TP, restraining order jokes, and interns on laps.


My favorite is still the hot-pepper-juice-on-the-fingers one.
User avatar
googleeph2
 
Posts: 1710
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:40 am
Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Re: Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby googleeph2 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:13 pm

jb wrote:Boom.

Roasted.

Second time in his career.

Guess the billionaire wasn't so irrelevant .


Maybe...

Or, as the Kris Kristofferson song says, "freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose". If this results in a gloves off, rejuvenated Grossi with stories to tell, this could get really interesting. Wonder if the billionaire gave more thought to this than when he just had to hire Mangini.
User avatar
googleeph2
 
Posts: 1710
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:40 am
Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Re: Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby Taco Joe » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:11 pm

Or, as the Kris Kristofferson song says, "freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose".

It's Janis Joplin
Taco Joe
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:36 pm
Favorite Player: tosh.0
Least Favorite Player: .

Re: Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:14 pm

jb wrote:
peeker643 wrote:I thought I had stumbled into a portal to 1994.

Good thing for Tony he spent so little time doing that job. He'll hardly have to look for something to do to fill it.



So you make an ask yet?


??

Not comprehending.

Probably cuz Lee caused another aneurysm.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22625
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby googleeph2 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:58 pm

Taco Joe wrote:Or, as the Kris Kristofferson song says, "freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose".

It's Janis Joplin


He wrote it. Really a great line, isn't it?

Wow- check out Wikipedia for all the artists who recorded it.
User avatar
googleeph2
 
Posts: 1710
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:40 am
Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Re: Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby c11058 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:02 pm

We need to find a replacement who will take up the "Keep Arthur B. Modell out of the HOF" cause, quickly!
User avatar
c11058
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:18 pm
Favorite Player: Omar Vizquel
Least Favorite Player: Ray Lewis

Re: Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:25 am

The PD managing editor was on Kiley/Booms this morning and said that if Grossi had made this comment within the body of a column it wouldn't have been regarded as offensive. I guess surrounding that comment with an additional 500 words would have left if as every other Grossi column, uninteresting and unread. Seems to me, Managing editor is pissed b/c more people read and commented on Grossi's tweet than any column he's written in the past 20+ years.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
User avatar
Larvell Blanks
 
Posts: 2566
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:15 am
Location: Medina, Ohio
Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Re: Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby Spin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:45 am

googleeph2 wrote:
Taco Joe wrote:Or, as the Kris Kristofferson song says, "freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose".

It's Janis Joplin


He wrote it. Really a great line, isn't it?

Wow- check out Wikipedia for all the artists who recorded it.


Yeah, I remember it as a C&W song, being that my parents were C&W and too old for Joplin.
User avatar
Spin
 
Posts: 2904
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:16 am
Location: the burbs of Akron
Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Re: Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby Spin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:50 am

Larvell Blanks wrote:Seems to me, Managing editor is pissed b/c more people read and commented on Grossi's tweet than any column he's written in the past 20+ years.


Welcome to the 21st century, Mr. Editor. Unless someone has a parakeet cage or fishes, or are too old to find the on/off switch on a computer/tablet/phone, they don't remember newspapers.
User avatar
Spin
 
Posts: 2904
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:16 am
Location: the burbs of Akron
Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Re: Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:04 pm

"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17916
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby jb » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:08 pm

Nice work by Gary on this one
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:19 pm

Who will fill in on the 37 Browns shows on STO?
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
User avatar
TouchEmAllTime
 
Posts: 1196
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:43 pm
Location: Boardman
Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Re: Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:22 pm

TouchEmAllTime wrote:Who will fill in on the 37 Browns shows on STO?



I'm proposing they divide those shows between SoulDawg, JB and Motherscratcher.

Youi want to be entertained or you want to use those shows like Ambien?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22625
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby Spin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:53 pm

So who gets that "beat" now?

Over/under is 30 on how many people even notice.
User avatar
Spin
 
Posts: 2904
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:16 am
Location: the burbs of Akron
Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Re: Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby jb » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:57 pm

Spin wrote:So who gets that "beat" now.



Ed Meyer
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:58 pm

Spin wrote:So who gets that "beat" now?

Over/under is 30 on how many people even notice.


My money is on Mary Schmitt Boyer. She did a bang up job on the Cavs beat last year. Learned most of the players names and everything. Even watched some of the games I think.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7731
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:03 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
Spin wrote:So who gets that "beat" now?

Over/under is 30 on how many people even notice.


My money is on Mary Schmitt Boyer. She did a bang up job on the Cavs beat last year. Learned most of the players names and everything. Even watched some of the games I think.

I'd give a pinky to see Mary Schmitt Boyer, Pat SHUR MUR, and Samardo Samuels (just check his Twitter) go heads up in a game of Cleveland Sports Themed Celebrity Jeopardy. Throw Norm Macdonald in there as Burt Reynolds to make it even funnier.

Hosted by a drunken Pat Sajak.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17916
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:31 pm

peeker643 wrote:
TouchEmAllTime wrote:Who will fill in on the 37 Browns shows on STO?



I'm proposing they divide those shows between SoulDawg, JB and Motherscratcher.

Youi want to be entertained or you want to use those shows like Ambien?


Dieken, Mary Kay, and Andre Knott are all great sleep aids, but if those guys could really knock me out, I'm all for it, but on second thought, they would be more entertaining actually ;-) ;) :wink:
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
User avatar
TouchEmAllTime
 
Posts: 1196
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:43 pm
Location: Boardman
Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Re: Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:27 pm

No one noted or cared that Grossi left the PD, huh.

Me neither.

I have a real good guess where he'll end up though ;-) ;) :wink:

Hint- seems to be a soft landing spot for the ex-PD fellas.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22625
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:32 pm

The unemployment line?
User avatar
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element
 
Posts: 4158
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:57 am
Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Re: Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:46 pm

peeker643 wrote:No one noted or cared that Grossi left the PD, huh.

Me neither.

I have a real good guess where he'll end up though ;-) ;) :wink:

Hint- seems to be a soft landing spot for the ex-PD fellas.


When did he leave?

Wherever he goes, hope he covers something that brings him some joy. The Browns weren't it.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4273
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:26 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
peeker643 wrote:No one noted or cared that Grossi left the PD, huh.

Me neither.

I have a real good guess where he'll end up though ;-) ;) :wink:

Hint- seems to be a soft landing spot for the ex-PD fellas.


When did he leave?

Wherever he goes, hope he covers something that brings him some joy. The Browns weren't it.


Yesterday.

After more than 30 years, I am leaving the Plain Dealer. And thanks to Peyton Manning for stealing my thunder.


Thank God he retained that wonderful and sharp sense of humor.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22625
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:44 pm

peeker643 wrote:
After more than 30 years, I am leaving the Plain Dealer. And thanks to Peyton Manning for stealing my thunder.


Thank God he retained that wonderful and sharp sense of humor.


C'mon Peek. Don't be so jaded. That actually is kind of funny.

Do we know who replaced/is replacing him yet?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7731
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:36 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
After more than 30 years, I am leaving the Plain Dealer. And thanks to Peyton Manning for stealing my thunder.


Thank God he retained that wonderful and sharp sense of humor.


C'mon Peek. Don't be so jaded. That actually is kind of funny.

Do we know who replaced/is replacing him yet?


Some west coast kid named Luck.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13356
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:15 am

peeker643 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
peeker643 wrote:No one noted or cared that Grossi left the PD, huh.

Me neither.

I have a real good guess where he'll end up though ;-) ;) :wink:

Hint- seems to be a soft landing spot for the ex-PD fellas.


When did he leave?

Wherever he goes, hope he covers something that brings him some joy. The Browns weren't it.


Yesterday.

After more than 30 years, I am leaving the Plain Dealer. And thanks to Peyton Manning for stealing my thunder.


Thank God he retained that wonderful and sharp sense of humor.




You mean it's been that long since I stopped reading him? How time flies.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
User avatar
Larvell Blanks
 
Posts: 2566
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:15 am
Location: Medina, Ohio
Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Re: Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:22 am

Not only is Tony sticking with the Browns, but he'll be covering them for KNR.

::doh::

There's a marriage made in Syria.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4273
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Grossi off Browns beat

Unread postby Spin » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:23 pm

Hikohadon wrote:Not only is Tony sticking with the Browns, but he'll be covering them for KNR.

::doh::

There's a marriage made in Syria.


What did they do with that moanotone who did the Browns daily show? They could put him with Reggi on the 2am-5am "I don't give a shit" shift...
User avatar
Spin
 
Posts: 2904
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:16 am
Location: the burbs of Akron
Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks


Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest