Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Prince Fielder to the Tigers

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Prince Fielder to the Tigers

Unread postby gotribe31 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:08 pm

Local sportstalk radio has Prince coming to DC on an 8-year deal. Haven't seen it anywhere nationally yet, but they sound pretty sure of themselves around here. If it happens, they'll have a pretty solid club with a chance to compete in the NL East.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Re: Fielder to Nats?

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:48 pm

Let it be so ...
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:58 pm

Could this move start putting the wheels in motion for a resolution to the Tribe's 1st base conundrum?
"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it!" -Al Czervik
LakeErieWarriors

Favorite Player: Browns Draft
Least Favorite Player: Browns Training Camp

Unread postby bookelly » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:32 pm

Micheal Morse would look very nice in a Tribe uni.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:39 pm

^^^^^Morse just signed with them (Nats) today.....Busy day for Nats
LakeErieWarriors

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:01 pm

bookelly wrote:Micheal Morse would look very nice in a Tribe uni.

Morse would just go back to the OF.

We wouldn't have what they'd want anyway. It would take Kipnis + Santana probably. They have no use for Chisenhall with Zimmermann. We've got no top-tier SP anymore.

But, yes, he'd look good in a Tribe uni. I agree there.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby bookelly » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:59 am

R Perez + Hagadone + ??? (low A prospect) should get this done. If you are "all-in" as I believe the Dolan's are for this year, you get this done. Clear the cupboard because you're selling anyway.

Adding Morse would make this team the favorite in the Central.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:54 am

I think you guys are barking up the wrong tree here...like Adam said, Morse is already a starter in the OF. Adam LaRoche is their starter at 1B. He's the guy that would become available if Fielder ends up in DC.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:16 pm

gotribe31 wrote:Adam LaRoche is their starter at 1B. He's the guy that would become available if Fielder ends up in DC.

Awesome. We can reunite the LaRoche brothers. (We signed Andy, right?)

bookelly wrote:R Perez + Hagadone + ??? (low A prospect) should get this done. If you are "all-in" as I believe the Dolan's are for this year, you get this done. Clear the cupboard because you're selling anyway.

Perez isn't all that valuable. Hagadone's upside is totally unclear, and no low-A prospect as a throw-in gets you a 30 HR player.

Antonetti would get laughed at. And the Dolans have nothing to do with it.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:01 pm

Olney speculating if Fielder should take a one-year deal, have a monster year, and then bigger markets like the Dodgers and Mets come into play next year.

Supposedly, the Tigers are going to get insurance money back on VMart's contract. Olney says they could offer Prince 1 year for 16M.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:18 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:Adam LaRoche is their starter at 1B. He's the guy that would become available if Fielder ends up in DC.

Awesome. We can reunite the LaRoche brothers. (We signed Andy, right?)

Maybe we only signed Andy to get to Adam. It's the old Different Strokes Switcheroo. Nicely played Antonetti

skatingtripods wrote:Olney speculating if Fielder should take a one-year deal, have a monster year, and then bigger markets like the Dodgers and Mets come into play next year.

Supposedly, the Tigers are going to get insurance money back on VMart's contract. Olney says they could offer Prince 1 year for 16M.

Well, for one year, why the hell can't we get in on that action?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:58 pm

Yahoo's Tim Brown reporting Tigers and Fielder are close to a 9-year deal.

Must be nice to have money...

Edit: Heyman says it's done.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:06 pm

9 years, 214 million dollars.

Tigers are now the fattest team in baseball.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:49 pm

BREAKING NEWS. Price Felder signed with the Detroit Tigers, several years and for a lot of money. I broke the story first!!!
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby rigs » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:55 pm

Someone bump my "rebuilding" thread and let me know where I am wrong. Shaponetti gave us their worse offseason since 2001, and that is saying something.

This organization is bare bones in the upper levels, refuses to add missing pieces, and will in no way pay Ubaldo, Asdrubal, Choo, etc. after 2013.

You deal Masterson, Asdrubal, Choo now and build it for 2014-2015. Best odds by far.
"I see Aaron Laffey as a front-end #1 starter"- Alan Pawlowski, STO, sometime this month (seriously)

"I will personally see to it that the Indians will not regret this trade"- Jerrod Riggan, after being acquired for Roberto Alomar

"Most GM's see Cliff Lee as a #2 starter"- Tony Lastoria, 2009
rigs

Favorite Player: Jeff Mutis
Least Favorite Player: Dave Otto

Unread postby redneckofsc » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:56 pm

So when VMart comes back, does that mean he is traded? I don't think any of Cabrera, Fielder or VMart are capable of playing the outfield...then again, Todd Hundley and Ryan Garko played in the OF.
"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice."

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder

Favorite Player: Wil Cordero
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby Calis32 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:06 pm

redneckofsc wrote:So when VMart comes back, does that mean he is traded? I don't think any of Cabrera, Fielder or VMart are capable of playing the outfield...then again, Todd Hundley and Ryan Garko played in the OF.

3. Cabrera 1B/3B/DH
4. Fielder 1B/DH
5. VMart C/DH

And boom goes the dynamite.
Phil Taylor blocked me for telling him to get to training camp. F*** that guy.
Calis32

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:08 pm

^ He's back.

Didn't get what I asked for this Christmas.

;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:09 pm

Good times. They're bringing in Prince while we're loathe to spring for one year of a competent major league first baseman. That Ubaldo trade is looking better and better. I always enjoy bringing a dull butter knife to a gunfight.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby shamwow imitator » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:24 pm

I think our "window of opportunity" just closed :pb: That was fast
shamwow imitator

Favorite Player: Dick Jacobs
Least Favorite Player: Dolans

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:25 pm

rigs wrote:Someone bump my "rebuilding" thread and let me know where I am wrong. Shaponetti gave us their worse offseason since 2001, and that is saying something.

This organization is bare bones in the upper levels, refuses to add missing pieces, and will in no way pay Ubaldo, Asdrubal, Choo, etc. after 2013.

You deal Masterson, Asdrubal, Choo now and build it for 2014-2015. Best odds by far.

Not saying I'm thrilled with the Indians off-season.

They had 15 mill to spend. Gave Grady 5-8mm, Lowe 5mm, and have 2-5mm left to spend.

What would you have done different? Just curious.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Re: Prince Fielder to the Tigers

Unread postby rigs » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:33 pm

would have not traded for Ubaldo, realizing we are not close. And obviously, not re-signed Grady Sizemore.

If the Indians do not make the playoffs this year or next, Ubaldo trade was awful. I would have kept Pomeranz and White, and dealt the aforementioned players and started over. This team was 17 GAMES UNDER .500 after May 15th!! Don't want to hear about injuries...it is an injury prone team. Do you think Hafner, Sizemore, and Choo will be healthy all season? No chance.
"I see Aaron Laffey as a front-end #1 starter"- Alan Pawlowski, STO, sometime this month (seriously)

"I will personally see to it that the Indians will not regret this trade"- Jerrod Riggan, after being acquired for Roberto Alomar

rigs

Unread postby rigs » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:47 pm

My question is this. People want Shurmur/Holmgren gone. They have been here one and two years respectively.

The Indians front office is one of the worst in MLB, a 12 year run (counting this year, 2012, of one postseason). It is the weakest division (the AFC North is brutal). These guys are here forever!! When is it time to move on for goodness sakes?!?!

rigs

Unread postby Calis32 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:52 pm

rigs wrote:My question is this. People want Shurmur/Holmgren gone. They have been here one and two years respectively.

The Indians front office is one of the worst in MLB, a 12 year run (counting this year, 2012, of one postseason). It is the weakest division (the AFC North is brutal). These guys are here forever!! When is it time to move on for goodness sakes?!?!

The owner doesn't care. He overpaid for the team and refuses to cut his losses. He doesn't want to deal with the team.
Phil Taylor blocked me for telling him to get to training camp. F*** that guy.
Calis32

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Josh Cribbs

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:58 pm

exiledbuckeye wrote:9 years, 214 million dollars.

I'm thinking they are probably counting on Prince's vegetarianism to cancel out Miggy's alcoholism and end up with 2 healthy social drinkers who can mash. It's a brilliant move if you ask me.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby phutatorius » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:59 pm

One perspective to bring to this is

"Great -- now that the top players at a given position have come off the market, the logjam is broken and we're that much closer to getting to a point where the Indians can address their position need with an appropriate-to-market C-level player."

Another perspective is

"WHY THE HELL DOES DETROIT GET TO BE THE RECESSION-ADDLED POST-INDUSTRIAL SMALL-MARKET CITY WITH THE DRUNKEN-SAILOR PIZZA-MAGNATE OWNER?!?!"

I'm not saying that first perspective isn't valid. After all, it's the perspective that reflects reality. It's the perspective that displays a "serenity to accept the things we cannot change."

But that same perspective smacks of numb resignation. It's learned helplessness. If human beings were meant to be impressed with this mindset, the Soviet Union would never have collapsed.

No.

No, I say. We are good people. We are owed oh, so much better than this. If the Tunisians can shake off Ben Ali -- if the Egyptians can send Mubarak packing -- if Libya can ax Colonel [Kh/G/Q]ad[d]af[f][i/y] --

then -- DAMMIT! We can demand change, too.

It's enough to watch New York paper over its grave personnel errors with million-dollar bills. It's enough to watch Boston treat our beloved Indians like a AAA farm team. But DETROIT? DETROIT gets to lord its check-writing capacity over us like this?

I submit to you all the following resolution:
RESOLVED: An owner of a small-market baseball team should neither (1) treat it as an investment property, nor (2) expect it to generate a profit. An owner of a small-market baseball team should be a gajillionaire whose object is to spend down his vastly accumulated wealth in pursuit of championships and the storebought love of his fan base.

I don't begrudge the Dolans the right to act in accordance with their business sense. Yes, they're running a business, and they're running it as competently and shrewdly as they know how. I just wish they'd run a different kind of business -- one that doesn't have to do with entertaining, inspiring, and instilling a modest kind of regional pride in people who have no control over its operations. Like, for example, a bridge rivet factory. The world needs bridge rivets, because it needs bridges. The rivets don't need a flashy paint job. They don't need to be shiny. You don't need to trick 'em out; you just need to have them. I'd like to see the Dolans run a bridge rivet factory. I bet they could pile up a ton of money making cheaply and then selling assloads of olive-green and brown bridge rivets. Hell, I might even buy shares in that company.

But for God's sake, get them out of this "business," because I'm NOT a shareholder in the Cleveland Indians organization. I'm a baseball fan. And Derek Lowe and Ryan Spilborghs aren't gonna cut it.
Last edited by phutatorius on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phutatorius

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:02 pm

rigs wrote:My question is this. People want Shurmur/Holmgren gone. They have been here one and two years respectively.

Actually, the Indians front office has had a handful of guys go on to GM other teams or work in higher positions for other teams. High-ranking Indians front office members are always sought after for interviews. The Indians are also applauded for their player evaluation techniques and Mark Shapiro is rumored to be a candidate to replace Bud Selig when he retires.

The organization is highly respected in baseball circles. Just not at all respected by the fans of the city they work in.

But, yes, baseball's AFC North Division really sucks.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:10 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
exiledbuckeye wrote:9 years, 214 million dollars.

I'm thinking they are probably counting on Prince's vegetarianism to cancel out Miggy's alcoholism and end up with 2 healthy social drinkers who can mash. It's a brilliant move if you ask me.

Between these two guys, Gene Lamont, and Jose Valverde....I hope the Tigers factored in the cost of reinforcing the clubhouse floor and the price of all that extra uniform fabric. Not to mention the post-game buffet.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:12 pm

skatingtripods wrote:

Actually, the Indians front office has had a handful of guys go on to GM other teams or work in higher positions for other teams. High-ranking Indians front office members are always sought after for interviews. The Indians are also applauded for their player evaluation techniques and Mark Shapiro is rumored to be a candidate to replace Bud Selig when he retires.

The organization is highly respected in baseball circles. Just not at all respected by the fans of the city they work in.

I'm pretty much with you. It's hard for me to fault the front office when their budget leaves them almost zero margin for error year in and year out. They've had enough good players pass through to be competitive here and there, and that's no given in this market. I'd love it if they were ran like the Rays, but not everyone is that good at it. However, they knew all of their constraints before the Ubaldo trade and still made it. Big mistake in my opinion.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:21 pm

Kingpin74 wrote:However, they knew all of their constraints before the Ubaldo trade and still made it. Big mistake in my opinion.

We saw half a season from a banged up Ubaldo Jimenez.

If he goes 17-6 3.25 this year, nobody says a word.

That trade is not able to be evaluated yet. I'm not saying you're wrong. Just saying that I can't write it off yet.

We have to work with the market we're in. Detroit outdrew us by 800k fans last year, 1.1M the year before. Metro area is probably 3-4x the size of ours.

It's hard to envy the Indians front office. They've only got enough bullets to fill half of the barrel and they can't take a shot and miss.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:25 pm

skatingtripods wrote:

Pretty sure he was trying to contrast the Browns failures with the Tribe's, ie the Tribe play in a weak division while the Browns play in a brutal one.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:28 pm

Peek, can we go ahead and tab this thread for the Library now? Some epic stuff going down here.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:28 pm

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:

Pretty sure he was trying to contrast the Browns failures with the Tribe's, ie the Tribe play in a weak division while the Browns play in a brutal one.

Probably.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:29 pm

They've only got enough bullets to fill half of the barrel and they can't take a shot and miss.

What? I don't even.....
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:34 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
They've only got enough bullets to fill half of the barrel and they can't take a shot and miss.

What? I don't even.....

Fuck off. You know what I meant.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:49 pm

swerb wrote:
rigs wrote:Someone bump my "rebuilding" thread and let me know where I am wrong. Shaponetti gave us their worse offseason since 2001, and that is saying something.

Not saying I'm thrilled with the Indians off-season.

They had 15 mill to spend. Gave Grady 5-8mm, Lowe 5mm, and have 2-5mm left to spend.

What would you have done different? Just curious.

I think they should have cut bait with Fausto last fall and put that money toward an offensive upgrade. I believe Jeanmar Gomez can give the what Fausto would have. They might have had more to offer Carloses Beltran or Pena, or even Josh Willingham.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:04 pm

How in there hell have there been 10 posts since Phutatorius' epic meltdown and not a damn person has mentioned it? Just passed over it like it wasn't even there.

Fuckin' bridge rivet factory.

Deserved a response IMO.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby phutatorius » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:08 pm

The offseasons with this team are soul-destroying. I think this ownership dramatically understates the importance of sustaining fan interest through the dark days of winter.

Contrast Dick Jacobs, who went out and got Jack McDowell after the Tribe went to the Series in '95. Maybe in retrospect the move didn't pay off, but it signaled that the team was invested, and so fans should be as well.

But this approach whereby the front office develops a core and works in spare parts, retreads, and undervalued players to form a team that may or may not click in a given year? It may be suitable to the market conditions -- it may be exactly the right strategic approach from a team-building standpoint -- but bigger picture, it's uninspiring to fans, with the result that the team has no drawing power. Revenue remains flat, the payroll constraints remain what they are, and the cycle begins afresh each November. This dynamic holds true even when the clicking actually happens.

Watching this organization construct its team each winter is excruciating. This goes double when the only team I have with a consistent shot at success is the subject of an ongoing inexplicable ESPN vendetta and has seen its postseason preemptively stripped away eight months before any of its players get to take the field.

The only hope is a fan insurrection, but most of our numbers have already lapsed into apathy. It's truly the recipe for indefinite, sustainable exploitation: get past the point where The People have hope.
phutatorius

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:14 pm

motherscratcher wrote:How in there hell have there been 10 posts since Phutatorius' epic meltdown and not a damn person has mentioned it? Just passed over it like it wasn't even there.

Fuckin' bridge rivet factory.

Deserved a response IMO.

8 year olds, dude
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:27 pm

I would not drive over a bridge with Derek Lowe-esque rivets.
LakeErieWarriors

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:44 pm

Wasn't the Ubaldo trade the "Our Time is Now!" moment?

Shouldn't the offseason reflect the same sense of urgency?

Did I miss the point?
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:02 pm

The Ubaldo trade was the "We have obscene levels of false hope" moment. Right around that time, the Tribe hung around with the Tigers at like 2 games back for a little while, and then nature finally took it's course. With the D. Lowe pickup, it looked like they were gonna kick things into gear this offseason, however we can plainly see that that was not the case at all.
LakeErieWarriors

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:49 pm

gotribe31 wrote:Peek, can we go ahead and tab this thread for the Library now? Some epic stuff going down here.

Shhh.... not yet. Not yet.

We're one more outstanding phutatorious post away from 'classic' status and I don't want to make noises that will scare him off.

Even if he doesn't post, that post of Adam's where he mixed about 14 metaphors in a single sentence could carry the day.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:54 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

What? I don't even.....

Fuck off. You know what I meant.

Yes, I know what you meant.

Maybe we should get a better ammo supplier?

And you don't ever tell me to fuck off.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:55 pm

Getting closer...

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:18 pm

I don't think we're going to be very good this year. The upshot is maybe the game threads will be awesome by the end of April. Anger, frustration, and apologists. That's what i'm looking forward to.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:50 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I don't think we're going to be very good this year. The upshot is maybe the game threads will be awesome by the end of April. Anger, frustration, and apologists. That's what i'm looking forward to.

Ugh...

It would be better for all of us if they are good, contend and then shit themselves later. Otherwise, by April, it'll be me, you and Rat Tail in the fucking threads and I'll hang myself from a sturdy shower curtain rod.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby rigs » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:52 pm

Tripods,
It is the AL Central in baseball...I assume a typo on your part.

We'll agree to disagree on the rest. One playoff in a dozen years is a failure, and someone else should get a crack at it.

rigs

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:54 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I don't think we're going to be very good this year. The upshot is maybe the game threads will be awesome by the end of April. Anger, frustration, and apologists. That's what i'm looking forward to.

Ugh...

It would be better for all of us if they are good, contend and then shit themselves later. Otherwise, by April, it'll be me, you and Rat Tail in the fucking threads and I'll hang myself from a sturdy shower curtain rod.

Rat Tail with his thoughts on the trade on Twitter:

Vincenzo
@Rat_Tail

Prince Fielder can die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Detroit? Seriously? #injury

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby phutatorius » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:03 pm

I should be clear — there are some things the Indians do really well. There's that Fried Everything station down in the lower-level concourse. Can't beat that. And when I went to that Wednesday afternoon makeup game back in August, I had some kind of mega-deluxe hot dog topped with something like pulled pork, bacon, chicken-fried steak, pimento loaf, and beef jerky.

This was, all in all, a terrific day. I flew in with my five-year-old, bought ridiculously good tickets maybe twenty rows back behind home plate ("MANY GREAT SEATS STILL AVAILABLE"), and watched Big League Choo put one into the bleachers to win the game in the bottom of the ninth. And from where we were sitting, we couldn't feel the earthquake, and that speaks to the ballpark's structural integrity.

And so, to quote Sir Walter Scott, boo-yah.

Thing is, I don't doubt Paul Dolan's first instinct, upon watching that ball clear the wall in left-center, was to check the real-time winter arbitration-value tracker app on his iPhone:

Aw, crap. That's gonna cost us around $15K.

For probably six weeks last year, I believed in this team. And when the big crashing wave bore down and finally overtook the ship, I dog-paddled in the surf amid the flotsam and jetsam and driftwood displaying some alien emotion akin to (what is it?) pride — because for a meaningful period of time, the Indians were the best team in baseball. 80-82 in the end, we were a smear on Jim Leyland's cleats, and I felt good about that.

This isn't the exuberance of fandom, or even the diminishing of expectations. It's frickin' Stockholm Syndrome.

Used to be it took bread and circuses to quell the passions of a madding crowd. But somehow the Indians are keeping us all at bay with Dollar Dog Nights and deep-fried Twinkies.

What a broken, docile lot we've become.
phutatorius

Next

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB