Text Size

College Sports Arena

Can Tressel Succeed in the NFL?

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Can Tressel Succeed in the NFL?

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:50 pm

So, he's had two interviews with Jim Irsay, and Tony Dungy was quoted this morning that he thinks Tressel is Irsay's guy. I've got to say that if I were an Indianapolis Colts fan, I would be worried, if not angry.

It seems nutty these days to hire a guy to be an NFL head coach who has never been associated in any way with an NFL franchise (half a season of replay consultant doesn't count) If the Browns were considering Tressel, as a season ticket holder, I would be 100% opposed to the idea. And it's obviously not because I have any lack of respect for the man.

Unless Tressel is just looking for a way to spend the five years of his "show cause" penalty before getting back into the college game, I can't really understand why he would want a gig like this. NFL coaches, with rare exceptions, are hired to be fired...like baseball managers.

I had heard a report from someone supposedly close to JT, that his short time with the Colts last season had made him less, not more likely to pursue NFL coaching opportunities. He was disgusted with the way NFL players treated coaches...he was supposedly disenchanted with the whole NFL enterprise. I realize that 4-5 mil a year can do a lot to get over feelings like that, but as most of you know, Tressel is independently wealthy. Not only has he earned 3-5 million a year for the last decade, but his second wife is reportedly very wealthy...like DeBartolo-level wealthy. (I do not know this for a fact, but it is what I have heard...Y-town boys weigh in here). Suffice to say, the money should not be an issue.

What may be an issue is JT's workaholic, Type A personality. It's got to be very tough for the guy not coaching football.

The other thing is this...has the game passed JT by? After watching his unsophisticated offense struggling to score and be consistently effective for years...and seeing how his loyalties to friends on the coaching staff blinded him to their incompetence...I just wonder if he would have the strength...the ruthlessness...the constant bottom-line orientation to make it in the NFL.

Thoughts?
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Re: Can Tressel Succeed in the NFL?

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:02 pm

To me, a NFL head coach is an organizer. A manager of all the moving parts during the week of prep, and then on Sundays during the game. And a motivater. I thought Mangini was outstanding at that part of it. Getting guys to play hard and smart all the time. Squeezing as much production out of the talent each player has by motivating them and putting them in the best positions to succeed.

I believe the best coaches don't call plays or micromanage any other major parts of the process. They get in elite assistants, work with all those assistants to establish a smart game plan and ways to attack and expose opponents. And are great at adjusting on the fly real time when the bullets start flying.

I think JT is a good manager and a good motivator. I feel like he's actually the type of coach that could succeed at the NFL level ... if you don't let him surround himself with no talent gravy trainers like Bollman.

I'd take him right now, in a heartbeat, over Shurmur. Of course, that's not saying much.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:17 pm

Interesting comment thread following this story:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... n-in-indy/
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby Sea Foam Green » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:24 pm

Colin Cowherd
@ESPN_Colin

Would hire Jim Tressel in a second. Proven 2b organizationally excellent, which is huge for NFL HC. But has to hand offense over 2 someone

Probably the only time I can remember that I've thought whatever was coming out of Cowherd's mouth made some sense. Which probably means I'm in the minority, and dead wrong.

But in general, I agree with what Swerb's written.

I'll just add, off the top of my head, that if you look at the amount of Buckeye's the Colts have drafted in the past years, it's pretty clear someone there had a lot of respect for the program or the coaching. I had thought it was Polian, but since he's gone and Tressel's still under consideration, I gotta figure it was Irsay all along.
Sea Foam Green

Favorite Player: 1st Round Draft Pick
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:28 pm

He sure fits the job description that Indy apparently has for the position, no? Dungy had more cred from playing days/coaching experience and Caldwell's an extension of Dungy but damn if they don't seem to value character more so than many places.

I agree with Rich in that true managers can succeed. No idea if that's case with Tressel at this level but in theory it wouldn't hurt his chances as much as surrounding himself with the wrong assistants would.

My $0.02
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby jb » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:01 pm

NFW.

Tressel was barely qualified to be HC in Columbus when it came to Offensive X's and O'x. It'd be a disaster.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby neoleo » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:15 pm

I agree with those thinking he can succeed as a CEO type. But only if he gets proven coordinators.

The public Tressel is much different than the behind closed doors Tressel, so I think he'll be able to get through to the NFL players more so than people seem to think. His staff will be key though. He'll succeed as a motivator/game manager. Not quite sure he has it in him to be a delegator.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:19 pm

jb wrote:NFW.

Tressel was barely qualified to be HC in Columbus when it came to Offensive X's and O'x. It'd be a disaster.

You'd clearly need to get him a STRONG OC, and let the OC be the OC.

I do believe Tressel is a perfect guy to work with a young QB though. See Smith, Troy. I'd bet anything the Colts agree after having him on staff for a year, and that their desire to put Luck in as positive a situation as possible led to the interview of JT.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby noles1 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:02 pm

Would Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck be a strong enough OC?

As for DC, agree 100%.

Then again he could bring in Heacock and Bollman... that would be classic.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby BruceK » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:02 pm

The NFL players would just love to do things like sing together after wins - too bad they don't have alma maters in the pros.
BruceK
BJKResearch.com

Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:10 am

BruceK wrote:The NFL players would just love to do things like sing together after wins - too bad they don't have alma maters in the pros.

As if the guys at Ohio State are any different than the pros in this regard.

Some guys have that little magic that has players buying in, I think Tressell has this - but it's not too long before the next step comes, which is keeping that respect thru results. But ya gotta have the first thing first, so he wouldn't be the worst guy to take a chance on ILO.

And really, professional head coaching....lotta good ones out there. One guy is head and shoulders above the rest. One guy is pretty much a joke (and there are more guys that would fit this category if they were allowed to stay longer, but a product of being in the joke category is you get fired quickly. For the record, the syndicates/sharps would tell you that Norv Turners teams consistently give up more points than key stats indicate, and score less. This has gone on an unprecedented number of years because, well, like I said, it's usually not allowed to go on)....anyways...rambling. Point is, ya just gotta get yourself a guy that fits into the rather large group of competents, and than its the Jimmies and the Joes.

History says the college thing doesn't often pan out, but in no way would I say confidently that he couldn't be successful.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Return to College Sports Arena