Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Randy Lerner to speak...

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Randy Lerner to speak...

Unread postby idoctribefan » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:10 pm

On with Triv at 4:35pm on WTAM 1100.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Re: Randy Lerner to speak...

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:22 pm

Im sure he'll say lots of direct and poignant things about the specifics of the team he owns, and wont just blather about process and how great Holmgren is and how much he wants to blow him etc etc etc

Imm already rolling my eyes.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:31 pm

If he was on w/ Triv, I'm sure Triv was swinging from Jammies nuts and tossing him softball questions.

Wake me up when there's a media person in town not afraid to ask the questions the fans want answers to
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Squints » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:14 pm

Missed the interview. How is Aston Villa doing?
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:19 pm

Hasn't been overseas much. Too busy helping Dan Gilbert acquire the Gladiators.
"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it!" -Al Czervik
LakeErieWarriors

Favorite Player: Browns Draft
Least Favorite Player: Browns Training Camp

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:27 pm

Isn't Randy Lerner the owner all Indians fans want? Just open the pocketbook and get out of the way? Guy doesn't meddle. Maybe the leaders he hires are not good, but no one complains about them when they get here.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:39 pm

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Isn't Randy Lerner the owner all Indians fans want? Just open the pocketbook and get out of the way? Guy doesn't meddle. Maybe the leaders he hires are not good, but no one complains about them when they get here.

End of the day, I prefer Jammies to Jerrys. I wish there was a bit of a blend, but when owners start showing up and 'getting involved' the shit usually hits the fan.

We bitch because we're frustrated and because it's easy, but yeah, hire and pay the right guy and stfu. I'm good with that.

Wouldn't kill him to show up and sit at a game once in a while though. Or maybe it would and that's why he doesn't.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:09 am

Larvell Blanks wrote:If he was on w/ Triv, I'm sure Triv was swinging from Jammies nuts and tossing him softball questions.

Wake me up when there's a media person in town not afraid to ask the questions the fans want answers to

This. When is his meeting with Dogbone Mike, or whatever the fuck that guy's name is? Dog bone Mike will get the straight dope fo shizzle.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:13 am

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Isn't Randy Lerner the owner all Indians fans want? Just open the pocketbook and get out of the way? Guy doesn't meddle. Maybe the leaders he hires are not good, but no one complains about them when they get here.

Different sport with salary cap and all.

Open pocketbook not nearly as important.

Which brings up to what you mentioned - the leaders he hires are not good.

Well, that's about his only GD job.

There hasn't been any checks and balances between GM and coach since Al passed. Until this is rectified thery're gonna stink - unless they get extremely lucky. And considering Randy falls for the first lines of bullshit from the first guy that comes knockin' when the job opening arises, the Browns need more than luck.

Look at the consistently winning organizations in the league, and look at their ownership.

Or, probably better, lets take a look at the long history of NFL success that has employed the Browns formula; absentee owner combined with the gm/patsy head coach, or head coach/patsy gm.

And money rarely enters the conversation in regard to excellent NFL ownership.

And I gotta disagree with peeker - Jerry CARES. Might be a meddlesome blohard, but meddlesome blohards have had at least some record of NFL success. Soccer fans that couldn't give a shit don't.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:39 am

And I gotta disagree with peeker - Jerry CARES. Might be a meddlesome blohard, but meddlesome blohards have had at least some record of NFL success. Soccer fans that couldn't give a shit don't.

Granted he was an ass during his time here but Art was at least visble. At games, practice, conducting pressers and doing interviews. To get a quote out of lil' Lerner is exhausting and painful. Sure we prefer a hands off owner but at least act like you care and take in a game or 2 so fans believe you exist and give 2 shits. I'm sure it's no problem for the CBS culinary staff to make him feel at home by making high tea for him in his lodge
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:19 am

leadpipe wrote:

There hasn't been any checks and balances between GM and coach since Al passed. Until this is rectified thery're gonna stink - unless they get extremely lucky. And considering Randy falls for the first lines of bullshit from the first guy that comes knockin' when the job opening arises, the Browns need more than luck.

Look at the consistently winning organizations in the league, and look at their ownership.

Or, probably better, lets take a look at the long history of NFL success that has employed the Browns formula; absentee owner combined with the gm/patsy head coach, or head coach/patsy gm.

But now Rodney King is happy, because everyone gets along.

As far as Jerry - it's not about him being visible or caring - it's about Jerry not knowing football nearly as well as he thinks he does and his Texas-sized ego running that franchise into mediocrity. Al Davis in the making.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:31 am

mattvan1 wrote:
leadpipe wrote:

But now Rodney King is happy, because everyone gets along.

As far as Jerry - it's not about him being visible or caring - it's about Jerry not knowing football nearly as well as he thinks he does and his Texas-sized ego running that franchise into mediocrity. Al Davis in the making.

SD:

watch your mouth ....

Not even Al Davis drafted Quincy Carter .

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:38 am

SD, I thought you'd like Quincy Carter. I've read that RG3 is very similar.

BTW SD - I assume that you are still in the "trade up for RG3" crowd. I'm still there myself, although tentatively. What are you willing to pay to get to #2?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby jb » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:09 am

Of course. But this is Cleveland. Bitch bitch bitch
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:11 am

leadpipe wrote:

Tell me you are being sarcastic and for got this --> ;-)

Please
jb

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:18 am

motherscratcher wrote:SD, I thought you'd like Quincy Carter. I've read that RG3 is very similar.

BTW SD - I assume that you are still in the "trade up for RG3" crowd. I'm still there myself, although tentatively. What are you willing to pay to get to #2?

SD:

The Atlanta pick is House money , depending on the offseason , and the market for Flynn combined with our location where the lambs essentially only slide one spot and can add an additional #1 its impressive ammo which secures you a franchise talent without hobbling the balance of your draft .

If you need more ,offer them future picks a second or third in 2013 and or (McCoy) as a sweetner "if' it comes to that .

The crux is you've spent naught in real money and gained monstrous impact without derailing your draft and rebuild.

You net a franchise pick in the first round with the balance of your draft intact to add support.

Luck is not worth more than three number ones and two seconds, so I would not pay any amount beyond three number ones for him or RG3 who I rate equally although value differently .

Luck would give us the perception of acquiring a messiah , while the same money spent for RG3 would be seen as a reach.

RG3 is worth both our ones and some and you can make that deal , where as you couldn't pull Luck out from Indy with all the tea in China.

The value and the deal , is to secure RG3 and the second pick in the draft before the end of Free agency when Flynn is in play if you are not going to sign Flynn yourself..

You cannot afford to be shut out from both .

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Lubber » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:27 am

motherscratcher wrote:This. When is his meeting with Dogbone Mike, or whatever the fuck that guy's name is? Dog bone Mike will get the straight dope fo shizzle.

It was actually Dawg Pound Mike. However, he is now Tailgater Mike. You can contact him at the link below if you would like to join him for any upcoming tailgate parties:
https://www.tailgatermike.com/Contact_Me.html
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:35 am

jb wrote:

Of course. But this is Cleveland. Bitch bitch bitch

Yep. I have no issue with Randy. Spends the money if need be, stays out of the spotlight, doesn't make it about him. He's not a football guy and made some bad football decisions (Kokinis, anyone?), but finally realized that and hired a guy to run ops for him. Whether or not that works out, we'll see, but I appreciate his identifying his own weaknesses.

I don't need him at the game, I don't need to see him more, I don't need to hear him speak, I don't care if he owns a soccer team, I don't care if he has fleece pajamas. Just hire the people that can get it done. And I doubt even the most die-hard Holmgren Hater would say he shouldn't get at least one more year.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:21 pm

Tony Grossi forgot to listen to the interview, said on Twitter it wasn't his job, tweeted that Lerner is pathetic and the most irrelevant billionaire in the world, then deleted that tweet.

Meanwhile, Triv forgot to ask Lerner about the money Lerner wants the City to pony up to fix the stadium:

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2012/01 ... l#comments
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:49 pm

idoctribefan wrote:On with Triv at 4:35pm on WTAM 1100.

Translation

Get a QB you fucking nimrods .

lerner took pains pains and called out the guru in a subtly which makes your head spin .

"

The most fundamental is settle on a quarterback. Now far be it from me. I’m not a talent evaluator, to say the least, or anything like one. At some point as a Browns fan when you look around and see Pittsburgh needing a quarterback and dealing with Kordell Stewart or dealing with Tommy Maddox or whatever… They made a move. They committed to the move and they’ve succeeded with that move. And Baltimore with Kyle Boller and that didn’t work out. And they tried and made a move and got Flacco. I think one of the things that is crucial right now is to take a significant step forward is to try TRY if you can to get this quarterback situation settled.”
SoulDawg74

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:54 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:
idoctribefan wrote:On with Triv at 4:35pm on WTAM 1100.

Translation

Get a QB you fucking nimrods .

lerner took pains pains and called out the guru in a subtly which makes your head spin .

"

The most fundamental is settle on a quarterback. Now far be it from me. I’m not a talent evaluator, to say the least, or anything like one. At some point as a Browns fan when you look around and see Pittsburgh needing a quarterback and dealing with Kordell Stewart or dealing with Tommy Maddox or whatever… They made a move. They committed to the move and they’ve succeeded with that move. And Baltimore with Kyle Boller and that didn’t work out. And they tried and made a move and got Flacco. I think one of the things that is crucial right now is to take a significant step forward is to try TRY if you can to get this quarterback situation settled.”

I luv it , and whie i don't wnt him going Jim Irsay , its been far too long since lord holmgren has been headed .

The emperor he be butt Nekid , and even randy jams done seen his cheeks.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:25 pm

Wow, I can't believe he actually said that. Please disregard my complaining upstream about his status quo bullshit.

That being said, it makes a lot more sense for H+H to slow play, say they're happy with what they've got, convince everyone they're happy going into next season with Colteca, and stop Minny or St. Louis from gangbanging them over that second 1st rounder for a player that they cant afford to take.

Best case scenario is that Browns mgmt calls St. Louis' bluff and gets RGIII WITHOUT the trade up. We'd be doing celebratory shots and patting ourselves on the backs harder than ever if it goes down in April that way.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:36 pm

Yep, they need to leak statements that lead to headlines like "Browns happy with QB situation - will go into next year with Colt as starter". Maybe 2-3 times a week, they need to talk about how much they love Colt, get the people that can't read between the lines all fired up.

Or MAYBE they should tell everyone they're moving up to get RG3, but say it in a way that makes teams think they're lying. Yeah, that's the ticket, the ol' double-bluff. It's an XK Red 27 technique.
Hikohadon

Unread postby pup » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:48 pm

Don't forget about the leaking of how much they really like Claiborne, Kalil and Blackmon and there is no way any of the 3 make it to #6...
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby jb » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:02 pm

<------- Beats eyesore and Peeker

Grossi's twitter on the interview was pretty epic
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:05 pm

jb wrote:<------- Beats eyesore and Peeker

Grossi's twitter on the interview was pretty epic

Grossi's a PoS coward who took his post down because Berea has him by the balls and his dying industry requires him to suckle at the home team's teat.

He's always been a tool. Now he's just an older, more bitter, tool who's afraid to say what he thinks when the town is dying for someone to be that guy.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:10 pm

Word is (per Vince at Cleveland Scene) Grossi was told he had to actually go into the office today (he rarely if ever does this) and was in deep shit today with The Dealer.

Also, Irsay's tweet about Rob Lowe remaking Deep Throat last night was an epic revenge strike for the insanity Lowe started yesterday.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:16 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Word is (per Vince at Cleveland Scene) Grossi was told he had to actually go into the office today (he rarely if ever does this) and was in deep shit today with The Dealer.

Also, Irsay's tweet about Rob Lowe remaking Deep Throat last night was an epic revenge strike for the insanity Lowe started yesterday.

Good. He's a douchebag. I hope Bill Livingston swings his word processor at him while Bud Shaw twirls his dastardly fucking mustache while searching for something completely unfunny to say.

Then I hope the building catches on fire and they're all about to die until Pluto shoves the Tribe PR intern off his lap and summons God with a wave of the Religion section and disaster is averted.

No.... you know what. I hope they all die.

You wouldn't even notice it in the paper for a good 6-8 weeks.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:27 pm

peeker643 wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Word is (per Vince at Cleveland Scene) Grossi was told he had to actually go into the office today (he rarely if ever does this) and was in deep shit today with The Dealer.

Good. He's a douchebag. I hope Bill Livingston swings his word processor at him while Bud Shaw twirls his dastardly fucking mustache while searching for something completely unfunny to say.

Then I hope the building catches on fire and they're all about to die until Pluto shoves the Tribe PR intern off his lap and summons God with a wave of the Religion section and disaster is averted.

No.... you know what. I hope they all die.

You wouldn't even notice it in the paper for a good 6-8 weeks.

Echo that. Not only was the tweet unprofessional (like something one of us would tweet) but needlessly personal in nature. Not smart at all to personally insult the owner of the team you cover. Wait until you retire and write your tell-all book for that.

Tony is a little bitch sometimes, so he makes his snide little comments. This time, he realized he went too far and took it down, but too late for that. Athletes apparently aren't the only ones that use Twitter to stick feet in their mouths.
Hikohadon

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:28 pm

Hikohadon wrote:Yep, they need to leak statements that lead to headlines like "Browns happy with QB situation - will go into next year with Colt as starter". Maybe 2-3 times a week, they need to talk about how much they love Colt, get the people that can't read between the lines all fired up.

Or MAYBE they should tell everyone they're moving up to get RG3, but say it in a way that makes teams think they're lying. Yeah, that's the ticket, the ol' double-bluff. It's an XK Red 27 technique.

It seems clear to me that picks #2 and #3 will be up for bid. We gotta come to grips with that. Griffin is a true top prospect in a QB league. And his contract won't be of the size that used to wreck salary caps.

Imo, McCoy is much too limited for the Browns to be believable if they pump him up (I know, you prolly are kidding). Everyone respects the guy's toughness, but his inaccuracy and subpar arm strength that causes defenses to cheat up and that narrows the field when he rolls out is already exposed.

Some might believe that Holmgren will want a backup, like teams he's been with have done in the past.

But if they want Griffin, I think instead of talking about McCoy or other prospects, at some point they should be bold about it. They should talk about their picks, and somehow make it clear that NOBODY will be able to compete with a better package for #2 or #3 than them. Scare off suitors with a clear intent to be the winner, a la the Yankees targeting a free agent in baseball. Have a secret walk-away point in mind, which you'd have anyway, even if not declaring your intent like that. Personally, I see no downside...
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:55 pm

What did Grossi tweet?
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:57 pm

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Tony Grossi ... tweeted that Lerner is pathetic and the most irrelevant billionaire in the world, then deleted that tweet.

googleeph2

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:02 pm

@TonyGrossi He's a pathetic figure, the most irrelevant billionaire in the world.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:03 pm

googleeph2 wrote:
GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Tony Grossi ... tweeted that Lerner is pathetic and the most irrelevant billionaire in the world, then deleted that tweet.

Damn!

Spot on. But ballsy!

I'm one of the few left that still likes Grossi. He knows football.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:10 pm

swerb wrote:
googleeph2 wrote:

Damn!

Spot on. But ballsy!

He deleted it.

IMO that makes him either an idiot for writing it or a pussy for deleting it. IMO he's no different than Hoynes. Pathetic and miserable ghost of days long dead.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:55 pm

He dared me. He didn't think I'd do it.

Some-bod-y owes me a dollll-arrr

googleeph2

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:23 am

peeker643 wrote:
swerb wrote:
googleeph2 wrote:

Damn!

Spot on. But ballsy!

He deleted it.

IMO that makes him either an idiot for writing it or a pussy for deleting it. IMO he's no different than Hoynes. Pathetic and miserable ghost of days long dead.

I see no reason he can't be both.

Actually, all of the above (if you throw in pathetic and miserable too).
Hikohadon

Unread postby jb » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:51 am

TG = Mike D'amone + 35 years.

I agree with both Swerb and Peeker. TG is all of those things.
jb

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL