Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Nolan Cromwell addded to the staff

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Nolan Cromwell addded to the staff

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:57 pm

CLEVELAND -- The Browns have confirmed the addition of former St. Louis Rams receivers coach Nolan Cromwell to Pat Shurmur's coaching staff.

Cromwell was named a senior offensive assistant. He replaces Keith Gilbertson, who has retired, according to a club source.

Cromwell joined the Rams in 2010, Shurmur's last season in St. Louis as Rams offensive coordinator. Cromwell also has extensive experience working under Mike Holmgren in Seattle and Green Bay.

Another connection is that Cromwell worked as Mike Sherman's offensive coordinator at Texas A&M for two years prior to joining the Rams. Sherman is a presumed candidate to be Browns offensive coordinator, but is also a candidate for the vacant head coach position with Tampa Bay.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... nolan.html
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: Nolan Cromwell addded to the staff

Unread postby pup » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:09 pm

Sherman and Tannehill.

Book it Dano.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:24 pm

Any statements out of Pittsburgh or Baltimore expressing their fear regarding this bold, Browns move?

Even if they don't say it, you know this has shaken them to their core.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:50 pm

peeker643 wrote:Any statements out of Pittsburgh or Baltimore expressing their fear regarding this bold, Browns move?

Even if they don't say it, you know this has shaken them to their core.

ha.

In all seriousness though, I'm impressed with the fact that we're bringing in some solid assistants sorrounding the team at the moment.

If only the head coach could be as good. ;-) ;) :wink:
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby jb » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:33 pm

Prudent back up plan in case Sherman and Chilly end up in TB together. If one is here, you have a WR position coach.

Always liked Nolan as a player (can't stand his last name) . He was a very tough S with brains and a leader in those great Rams' D's along with hacksaw and the Youngbloods. Imagine he'll be a good fit for young WRs and won't settle for any slacking. Never player WR, so that's interesting. College option QB at Tennesee, I think, and then pro bowl S for LA.

A pros' pro who knows the game.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:51 pm

jb wrote:Prudent back up plan in case Sherman and Chilly end up in TB together. If one is here, you have a WR position coach.

Always liked Nolan as a player (can't stand his last name) . He was a very tough S with brains and a leader in those great Rams' D's along with hacksaw and the Youngbloods. Imagine he'll be a good fit for young WRs and won't settle for any slacking. Never player WR, so that's interesting. College option QB at Tennesee, I think, and then pro bowl S for LA.

These guys' would make Butkus a Tight End coach.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:53 pm

peeker643 wrote:
jb wrote:Prudent back up plan in case Sherman and Chilly end up in TB together. If one is here, you have a WR position coach.

These guys' would make Butkus a Tight End coach.

LOL.

I get the cynicism, but I'm pretty sure he's spent most of his career as a WR coach. And his resume is impressive and he is one of "them". I really don't see that as a drawback.

Worth noting he's also coached ST's.

http://rams.imgrelay.com/html/179.html

& it was Kansas, not UT.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:40 pm

I hear ya and I'm fine with getting more guys who know and can teach football on the staff.

Just everything they do seems unnatural and forced.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:44 pm

Yeah!! The old offensive coordinator guy everyone loved Holmes had (has?) on staff certainly paid huge dividends!!!!!
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:25 pm

jb wrote:
peeker643 wrote: These guys' would make Butkus a Tight End coach.

LOL.

I get the cynicism, but I'm pretty sure he's spent most of his career as a WR coach. And his resume is impressive and he is one of "them". I really don't see that as a drawback.

Worth noting he's also coached ST's.

http://rams.imgrelay.com/html/179.html

& it was Kansas, not UT.

A big 'ol bowl of feh, for me please.

Yes, all his career he was a WR coach - so what does that tell you? Much like Shurmur in Philly, when Cromwell was in Seattle he was a WR coach for almost a decade. Something to be said for loyalty, but it makes me think he either wasn't interested in a bigger gig or was never ready. Both are things that make me go hmmmmm.

As far as the kumbaya aspect, I guess it can't hurt, and at least he knows the Walrus-Shurmur system and how to teach it. So next season when Greg Little runs a 5 yard crossing route on 3rd and 10, we'll know who to blame.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL