Text Size

The Neutral Zone

Local college hockey thread

The place to talk hockey. NHL banter, discussions on the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Lake Erie Monsters, and college hockey.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, skatingtripods

Local college hockey thread

Unread postby Spin » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:11 pm

If you're looking for something different, check out local college action. You might get the added bonus of watching me fall on my ass on the ice.

I'm the EMT/"Trainer" in the Kahki pants and blue and gold jacket with big ass fagbag around my waist. I'm usually there an hour before and half hour after the games and will buy the coffee.

Here's some links to browse
http://www.akronhockey.com/index.html
http://www.zonethemeslax.com/tschlhockey.com/
http://achahockey.org/

Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Re: Local college hockey thread

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:34 pm

Yeah, uh, and in relevant college hockey news, Miami of Ohio is the #1 in the USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine preseason poll.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Spin » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:02 am

Drive to Miami to watch them then. LOL

I watch any level of hockey I can find. Always a good time.
Spin

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:28 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Yeah, uh, and in relevant college hockey news, Miami of Ohio is the #1 in the USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine preseason poll.

BIG TEN needs to pick it up. Only one team in the top 15, embarrassing for a conference that's going to introduce hockey to its lineup next year.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:31 am

tOSU Started strong and leads the CCHA at the start of the Holiday break also ranked either 4th or 5th in the The major College hockey Polls.

Meanwhile M*ch*g*n and Miami are currently battling through rebuilding years and are on the outside looking in.

Anyone plan on attending the Frozen Diamond Face off? Purchased my tickets through the Alumni association about two weeks ago. I am hoping for a good old fashioned lake effect shitstorm to complete the experience.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:08 am

Anyone go to the frozen diamond face off last night ? I am curious to hear others opinions. I thought the event ran well, and aside from the Buckeyes loosing and the stench of to many Michigan fans I had a good time.

As far as running the event goes my only complaint was the bathrooms, it really showed last night that the ballpark was designed for a sport with 9 intermissions and not 3. If they do this again (which I hope they do) they are going to have to bring in some extra facilities.

As far as the game goes, I can't believe this was the same Osu team that beat Michigan back to back in Ann arbor a month ago, the Bucks just got man handled last night, very dissipointing. That being said Osu is a young team compared to Michigan so going forward I still see a positive future for Buckeye hockey.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Spin » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:54 am

I wanted to go, but we blew our wad at Presque Isle over the weekend.

From the footage I saw, it was a good crowd, good weather conditions, hopefully they'll do it again. They got a lot of use out of the rink during Snow Days.
Spin

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:04 am

Ohio State has a hard time recruiting. You could see that in yesterday's game. They had solid, responsible, good two-way players, but lacked top end skill. They're in a tough spot to recruit and they're only real hotbed for recruiting is the Pittsburgh area. With the USHL and the National Development Program (located in Ann Arbor) becoming more popular, kids in this area are exposed to more of the Michigan/Wisconsin/Minnesota schools and so recruiting is just stronger for those teams.

In Ohio State's defense, two of the goals resulted from a missed hand pass call and a terrible bounce along the boards. But, it's not like they mounted any offense of their own.

On TV, the ice looked awful. Plenty of bad bounces, slow passes. If you notice, Michigan was throwing all their cross-ice passes in the air. They made good adjustments to the conditions while Ohio State just continued to play their dump & chase game.

Jonathan Merrill makes a huge difference for UM. He was suspended for the first part of the season, played for the US in the World Juniors, and was reinstated to the Michigan team right after. He may have been the best player on the ice overall.

Can't speak for the event itself, though I did watch a high school game down there last month.

Being reported again that the Indians took a financial hit with Snow Days for the second year in a row and are re-evaluating everything, including the hockey aspect.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Funky Cold Luis Medina » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:35 pm

If anyone follows high school hockey, we have a couple of former Cleveland-area guys playing here in Wichita Falls (NAHL, Junior A) this season.

Damien Lona ('93, Kentucky native, but played for Gilmour Prep) has an assist in 7 games. Picked it up last night in a loss to Topeka.

Nate Myeroff ('92, Akron native, Walsh, Jr. Jacks) has 3 assists and a fight in 18 games. Season is over though due to a concussion.
I am the sumo florist, and flowers are my trade.
Funky Cold Luis Medina
Insert Title Here

Favorite Player: Cory Snyder
Least Favorite Player: Everyone else

Return to The Neutral Zone