Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Cavs v. Lakers

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Cavs v. Lakers

Unread postby Prosecutor » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:38 am

I don't see much chance to avoid being blown out in this one. First, it's the second night of a back-to-back on the road, with the Lakers having two days off. Second, the Cavs don't have the size or muscle up front to counter Bynum and Gasol. The Lakers will pound it into the post all night. The Cavs couldn't control Love, Aldridge or Jefferson, so I don't see any chance of neutralizing Bynum and Gasol.

The Lakers are only hitting 24% of their 3-point shots, so the Cavs need to drop down and double the Lakers' big men and take their chances on the 3-pointers. They also need to double down when Derek Fisher has the ball, as he's only hitting 34% from the field.

The Lakers are only scoring 95 ppg but their opponents are averaging less than 90 ppg, so they're getting it done with defense, rebounding, and Kobe. I don't think the Cavs will have much success taking it to the hole against these guys.

The Lakers are huge and their starting lineup averages 11 years in the NBA. They have some injuries to their bench, but as long as their big three are healthy the Cavs should present few problems. I don't see them beating the Cavs by 55 points like they did at this time last year, but I'll be surprised if this one is ever in doubt.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Re: Cavs v. Lakers

Unread postby statmasta » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:18 pm

I'm expecting Irving to torch Derek Fisher and Steve Blake.
statmasta

Favorite Player: Sandy Alomar Jr.
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Prosecutor » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:31 pm

statmasta wrote:I'm expecting Irving to torch Derek Fisher and Steve Blake.

Blake is day-to-day and may not be available, which would give the Cavs a huge advantage at the PG position for all 48 minutes. That being said, the Lakers don't need a PG on offense. They can just give Kobe the ball, clear that side of the floor, and play a 2-man game with Pau or Bynum. In that case I think the Cavs should double Kobe and leave the Lakers PG alone.

Defense is another story. You would think that KI and Sessions take it to the rim on Fisher and their 3rd string PG all night, but with two 7-footers in the paint it's going to be tough to finish, even if they dish it off.

Bad defensive matchups tonight. AV on Bynum and his 280 pounds. Jamo giving up 3 inches and 30-40 pounds to Gasol. Casspi on Kobe??? OMG.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby statmasta » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:47 pm

Prosecutor wrote:
statmasta wrote:I'm expecting Irving to torch Derek Fisher and Steve Blake.

Blake is day-to-day and may not be available, which would give the Cavs a huge advantage at the PG position for all 48 minutes. That being said, the Lakers don't need a PG on offense. They can just give Kobe the ball, clear that side of the floor, and play a 2-man game with Pau or Bynum. In that case I think the Cavs should double Kobe and leave the Lakers PG alone.

Defense is another story. You would think that KI and Sessions take it to the rim on Fisher and their 3rd string PG all night, but with two 7-footers in the paint it's going to be tough to finish, even if they dish it off.

Bad defensive matchups tonight. AV on Bynum and his 280 pounds. Jamo giving up 3 inches and 30-40 pounds to Gasol. Casspi on Kobe??? OMG.

Casspi won't be defending Kobe. No way. Casspi's one of the worst perimeter defenders in the NBA. It should be Anthony Parker and Alonzo Gee.
statmasta

Unread postby CP » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:20 am

This game is so rigged. Kobe is shooting 100% every time the ball goes through the rim and 0% when it doesn't.
CP

Favorite Player: Bernie Kosar
Least Favorite Player: Colt McCoy

Unread postby bookelly » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:49 am

Laker announcers fellating Kyrie.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:12 am

i can't get enough of the Ron Artest stuff:

"The Lakers said World Peace is struggling with back spasms and an Achilles' tendon problem, although he wasn't listed on the pregame injury report."

What a fucking moron.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:06 pm

Watched the game this morning. Lakers shot 65% in the first half but the Cavs did a nice job adjusting defensively and held them to 38 points after the break. Unfortunately, they dug themselves into too deep a hole with another 2nd quarter meltdown when they were outscored 18-3 in the last five minutes. Jamison's shot was off and nobody could stop the bleeding.

Jamo had a bad night, hitting only 4 of 16 shots, or the Cavs might have been in it at the end. He had open looks within his range, but they just weren't falling.

Cavs bench outscored the Lakers bench 36-4, but the three-headed monster of Kobe, Pau, and Bynum was too much.

You could see the Cavs' lack of a go-to player surface in the 4th quarter when they pulled to within 3 points after being down 19. The next four possessions resulted in two passes thrown away, a moving pick, and a 24-second violation. Four possessions without a shot. They got right there and then imploded. The Lakers never had to worry about that because they could always go to Kobe when they needed to re-establish control of the game. The Cavs don't have anybody like that, although KI might be able to do it eventually.

KI had another good offensive game playing against a PG in his mid-30's.

Casspi actually looked pretty decent, putting up a line of 11/4/3 with only one turnover in 21 minutes. He was matched up against Matt Barnes, though, who's on his 8th NBA team, so I'm not getting excited.

Overall, about as good a game as you can reasonably expect out of the Cavs considering the circumstances. Sure beats a 55-point beatdown.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby statmasta » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:18 pm

Prosecutor wrote:You could see the Cavs' lack of a go-to player surface in the 4th quarter when they pulled to within 3 points after being down 19. The next four possessions resulted in two passes thrown away, a moving pick, and a 24-second violation. Four possessions without a shot. They got right there and then imploded. The Lakers never had to worry about that because they could always go to Kobe when they needed to re-establish control of the game. The Cavs don't have anybody like that, although KI might be able to do it eventually.

The Cavs have a go-to guy, he just wasn't on the court during that stretch.

Once Irving finally did get into the game in the 4th, he immediately got into the lane for an easy layup. He should've been in the game sooner in the 4th quarater.
statmasta

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA