Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Cavs v. Jazz

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Cavs v. Jazz

Unread postby Prosecutor » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:10 am

Enough of the 3-point shots on west coast road trips. After hitting 3-of-24 against Portland the Cavs followed that up with 4-of-20 against Utah. That's a ridiculous 16% for those two games. You can't knock down 3's on a long road trip in an unfamiliar building three time zones away from home, and the Cavs are proving it on this trip.

When the Cavs attacked the rim against the Jazz they did much better. They shot 43 free throws and fouled two Jazz players out of the game. I have to believe they would have put a few more points on the board if they passed up about half of those 3's to attack the rim.

That being said, offense was not the main problem as the Cavs put up 105 points. They allowed a team averaging 90 to score 113, mainly because they could not stop Jefferson and Milsap, who were a combined 22-for-27 from the field. I think if Scott had it to do over he would have doubled them earlier and taken his chances against the 3-points shots. Utah only shot ten 3-pointers all night because they were so effective scoring from down low.

I would have liked to see TT guarding Jefferson. AV and Erden couldn't even slow him down. TT is more athletic, although undersized to guard a 6'11, 289 pound center. I don't know if he could have done anything with him, but at least give him a shot. Maybe his leaping ability could have forced AJ to change his shot. He was very comfortable shooting the jump hook over AV.

Not a bad outing. Basically the Cavs played the Jazz dead even except for a 4-5 minute stretch at the end of the second quarter where they had five offensive fouls, a blown layup, and three missed free throws. The Cavs really need to work on setting legal picks.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Re: Cavs v. Jazz

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:20 pm

1: Don't shoot 3's in unfamiliar surroundings or time zones.
2: Put smaller less expierenced players on deluxe post players.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:38 pm

OJ AND PROS SITTIN IN TREE K-I-S-S-I-N-G
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Prosecutor » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:35 pm

Orenthal wrote:1: Don't shoot 3's in unfamiliar surroundings or time zones.

When you're 7-for-44 on 3's but getting to the foul line at will off penetration maybe you should consider not shooting as many 3's. Unless you think 16% is a decent percentage.

2: Put smaller less expierenced players on deluxe post players.

When Jefferson is 13-for-17 you might want to try something different. I'm not saying it will work, but I'm a proponent of trying something different if what you're doing is totally ineffective.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:43 pm

Look on the bright side: these game threads are clearly starting to take off AND the Cavs won one more game on this trip than they probably should have.

Oh... and if Fred and AC die in a hotel fire it'll be a successful trip regardless of the team's record.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Prosecutor » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:20 am

I don't know if the game threads are exactly "taking off" but the Cavs currently rank 5th in the NBA in TV ratings share in the local market, so people are tuning in. And the Cavs are giving them a win or at least a competitive game almost every time out.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:36 am

peeker643 wrote:Look on the bright side: these game threads are clearly starting to take off AND the Cavs won one more game on this trip than they probably should have.

Oh... and if Fred and AC die in a hotel fire it'll be a successful trip regardless of the team's record.

Gotta 4 year old in pre-school. Learning her letters and sounds, you know, developing the language as they do at that age.

My biggest fear is that she's in front of a television during a Cavs basketball night, exposed to Campy Russell and AC. Happens once or twice and she might not be able to get into Kindergarten.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:39 am

Prosecutor wrote:I don't know if the game threads are exactly "taking off" but the Cavs currently rank 5th in the NBA in TV ratings share in the local market, so people are tuning in. And the Cavs are giving them a win or at least a competitive game almost every time out.

The Cavs will be at a pre-Lebron level of interest within two or three years.

Impossible situation to really win, combined with a city that has shown a lack of real interest in the Association.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:12 am

Could you imagine if Scott used PROS speak during timeouts.

"AP your 1 of 4 from three, we are in Utah, Kyrie has gotten to the line 8 times converting 7 of those for a 87.5% conversion rate. I'd like to see you penetrate along the baseline to the basket. Jefferson and Milsap aren't potent shot blockers they average only 2 combined a game. This will increase our ability to convert more free throws, and prevent missed 3's on the road."

The numbers are fudged and there would be like 3 more paragraphs and a tech for using 4 minutes during a 20 second timeout, but it would be fun to see AC's head explode.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:49 am

Prosecutor wrote:

When you're 7-for-44 on 3's but getting to the foul line at will off penetration maybe you should consider not shooting as many 3's. Unless you think 16% is a decent percentage.

I don't know Johnny...two games...this could be one of those "small sample size" things.

Maybe all they need is a tape measure and a few minutes of Coach Dale's time.
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:54 am

Personally think the length and quality of these threads perfectly and accurately embody the quality of the team itself. If I had a buck for every hopeful rebuild or good young building blocks that are developing I'd be retired and living in a real NBA city like Miami or LA. You know, where there's sand and sun.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:56 am

Very few wins on the schedule over the next month. You're looking at a 7-20 team by the third week of February.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:18 am

"Basically the Cavs played the Jazz dead even except for a 4-5 minute stretch at the end of the second quarter where they had five offensive fouls, a blown layup, and three missed free throws."

^ one of my favorite comments about sports, ever
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Prosecutor » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:13 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
Prosecutor wrote:

I don't know Johnny...two games...this could be one of those "small sample size" things.

Maybe all they need is a tape measure and a few minutes of Coach Dale's time.

In the two home games against NJ and Charlotte the Cavs were 26-for-47 on 3-point shots. In the last two road games they were 7-for-44. I don't know, Johnny, maybe that's just a normal statistical variation and not at all indicative that they don't shoot 3's as well 2-3 times zones away where they're playing close to midnight Cleveland time.

So let's look at a larger sample size.

Last year the Cavs played 8 games on the road in the Pac and Mountain time zones. They shot 32-for-126 from downtown in those games, or 25.4%. In their other 74 games, home and road, they shot 34.8%, nearly 10% better. That's not as big a difference as I expected, to be honest. Maybe they're just shooting poorly at the moment. Parker was practically automatic from the corner at home but he's banging them off the rim from the same spot on this trip.

As for tonight's game, the Suns are the second best team in the league at defending 3-point shots, holding opponents to 27%. The Cavs have hit 16% the last two games. If I'm Byron Scott, I'm telling those boys to stop jacking up 24 3-pointers per game.

By the way, of those 8 west coast games last year, the Cavs won exactly one, against Sacramento. That game they took only nine 3-point shots, by far the fewest of any game on those trips. Maybe a coincidence.

If I'm Scott I'd have Kyrie and Sessions driving on Nash all night long, drawing fouls and putting it on the glass for AV, TT, Gee, and Twan to clean up. I'd let Boobie and Parker spot up, but that's it.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby Orenthal » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:42 pm

Time zones? Really?

HOW DO U EXPLAIN TONIGHT MISTER!
Orenthal

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:52 pm

The factor here tonight is clearly the dry desert air that allows the ball to travel more freely, decreasing the probability of bricks.
"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it!" -Al Czervik
LakeErieWarriors

Favorite Player: Browns Draft
Least Favorite Player: Browns Training Camp

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:07 am

Lol, good call Pros.

I'm going to use this game as all of the evidence I need that the Cavs should shoot nothing but 3s west of the Mississippi.

Edit: but only on weekdays.
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Prosecutor » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:13 am

motherscratcher wrote:Lol, good call Pros.

I'm going to use this game as all of the evidence I need that the Cavs should shoot nothing but 3s west of the Mississippi.

Aren't you concerned about the small sample size?

I'm laughing right with you, Ma. Never so happy to be wrong. I'm withdrawing my application to be the Cavs' head coach after Scott gets canned in mid-season.

It helped that Casspi only chucked up two bricks. As long as Boobie, Jamo, Parker, and Kyrie are taking the 3's I'm OK with it.

They're going to need to launch a few more tonight.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:24 am

Prosecutor wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:Lol, good call Pros.

Aren't you concerned about the small sample size?

I'm laughing right with you, Ma. Never so happy to be wrong. I'm withdrawing my application to be the Cavs' head coach after Scott gets canned in mid-season.

It helped that Casspi only chucked up two bricks. As long as Boobie, Jamo, Parker, and Kyrie are taking the 3's I'm OK with it.

They're going to need to launch a few more tonight.

That was a fun game to watch. We need to trade Jamo before he takes a shit.
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Prosecutor » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:47 pm

"We need to trade Jamo before he takes a shit."

OK, but can we keep him a little while longer? I like watching the Cavs win now and then.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA