Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Mad Men

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Mad Men

Unread postby swerb » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:56 pm

I finally jumped on this train. Too many people told me I had to watch ... yet it's hard to explain to someone WHY to watch it. Which is prolly why I am 4-5 years late on this.

Just got done with the second season on Blu-Ray. Draper's wife just found out he was zocking half of NY proper, and also found out she's pregnant with #3. The Draper/Dick Whitman thing is coming into focus. Sterling is leaving his wife for the 20 year old secretary ... which helped play into the sale/merger of Sterling Cooper to the large London ad agency, who plans to install Doug Phillips as President, which has Draper ready to leave. The Peggy/Weasly Pete Campbell storylines also finally crossed paths in the finale of season #2 as he told her he loved her and she told him she wasn't interested and had his baby.

The girl Draper got with on the LA business trip where he abandoned Campbell is one of the ten hottest chicks I've seen in my life.

Just about to dig into season three. It's all I think about.

I am blown away at how good this show is. The writing, acting, charachter development, dialogue, eye candy ... all off the charts good.

Right up there with The Wire and Six Feet Under for the greatest hour drama ever created.

(Not counting Band of Brothers and The Pacific)

Just an amazing show. The Don Draper character is outstanding. I love characters than you shouldn't pull for, but you find yourself pulling for anyway.

No spoilers please for seasons 3 & 4. When does season #5 start?
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Mad Men

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:14 pm

What did you think about the giant octopus?! Didn't see that coming did you?

Oh Shit, I'm sorry, that's season 3.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:22 pm

Fitting thread for today's mantra here at TCF.

What's next recaps of the melt down against Boston (I know I know be more specific), and/or GWB v. Gore talk.

BTW the space shuttle crashed in case you hadn't heard.

Best show on TV though.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:31 pm

Yes, it is definitely one of the best on TV. (I put it slightly behind Breaking Bad). Season 4 I thought was excellent too. It also has my favorite episode of the series (The Suitcase).

You have a lot to look forward to. I wish I could go back and watch it all over again for the first time.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby jb » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:58 pm

5 is on hold. indefinately.

may not be ready until fall 2011 and that totally sux.

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2011/01/mad-men-creator-matthew-weiner-still-waiting-for-season-5-green-light.html

pop quiz Rich, what does "Shadarobah" mean?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:37 pm

jb wrote:5 is on hold. indefinately.

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2011/01/mad-men-creator-matthew-weiner-still-waiting-for-season-5-green-light.html

Doesn't it usually start in August anyway? Just a few months then.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby mitch » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:26 am

Yeah, it may be between one to three months later starting in 2011 than most years.

But that's really no different from some other cable series like the Sopranos. There is no question that season 5 is coming...it's just that the studio bosses are too busy trying to get their greedy hands on as much $$ as they can first.

I just picked up Season 3 on Blu Ray to re-watch it.

It's funny on closer inspection how much more of a total beyotch Betty becomes.

It's a toss up between which "non-villian" character on a series that I hate more; Betty Draper or Bill Henrickson (Bill Paxton) from Big Love.

Oh...and Swerb is dead nuts on regarding the girl in California. "Joy" was her name...and was she ever.
mitch

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Ben Toothlessburger

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:38 am

Just caught up on Mad Men last year and it was well worth the effort. Season 4 takes Mad Men to a new level. Goes from period piece to amazing character study.

Half way through season 2 of Breaking Bad thus far and it is worth catching up on as well (even though that cunt ass wife may ruin the show for me. I am so sick of Skylar at this point she makes me yearn for a Betty Draper appearance).

Watch Mad Men and Breaking Bad. Get away from shit like Dexter which was awesome for a year and then turned itself into a procedural (only should have wasted your time watching seasons 1 and 4 of it)

Oh and Peeks I've been on Weeds for the entire duration. Hated season 5 but it takes a sick individual to still be on board. Went from a comedy to literally a dark and dreary family study. Great show if only for how well it has evolved amidst the changes and budget cuts.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:40 am

motherscratcher wrote:
jb wrote:5 is on hold. indefinately.

Doesn't it usually start in August anyway? Just a few months then.

JB's just being the drama queen she is. It is what it is.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby swerb » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:11 pm

Breaking Bad is next up for me after I get caught up on Mad Men.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:44 pm

I'm about to start season 5 of the Wire. The series as a whole is probably the best thing I've ever seen on TV start to finish. And I think season 4 was the best one so far. Just an awesome awesome season of television.

But

Breaking Bad season 3 is THE BEST season in history IMO. That series just gets so. fucking. dark. Bryan Cranston is his usual perfect Walt and gives a great performance. But Aaron Paul sets the bar. One of my favorite performances ever on screen.

There are numerous parts of season 3 that I watched with my jaw on the floor. I couldn't believe what I was seeing or had just seen. There were times when I actually yelled out "Oh My God!" at the screen. And I'm generally not one of those guys.

Man, I wish I could go back and watch it again for the first time. I'm so jealous of you guys.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:01 pm

Bra - you have no idea how excited I am to go Season 4 of The Wire (Best Ever) against Season 4 of Mad Men (close societal win by The Wire) and Season 3 of Breaking Bad. That said I am going to fucking kill myself if I have to watch the pregnant bitch cry again. Breaking bad is so raw but it's almost too raw with her. I'm at the point where I fast-forward.

If she gets killed in season 3 I may wet myself.

Twice.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:45 pm

Agree on all accounts. Picked up Mad Men after Thanksgiving and finished all three seasons in about a month. Breaking Bad has been replaying on AMC and it's got to the point where I'd cook up my own crystal meth if they'd just release season 3 on blu ray; don't know if I can stand just 2 episodes a week as this Wednesday will have the finale of season 2.

The Wire is, for me, still the gold standard. Seasons 3 and 4 are monumental.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby JoJo White » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:19 pm

Breaking Bad > Mad Men > The Wire
JoJo White

Favorite Player: Johann Olav Koss
Least Favorite Player: Zola Budd

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:17 pm

Finally caught up on Breaking Bad and I don't think I'd put it ahead of The Wire or Mad Men.

Season 3 is the only reason it's even in the conversation (and it is up there with those two). Half of the prior two seasons is literally nothing but listening to Skylar whine.

Great acting. Incredible production. Strangely paced and spends too much time writing Skylar as the most annoying TV character ever for the first two seasons (she finally doesn't suck once she gets a pair in season 3).
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby swerb » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:26 am

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby jb » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:29 am

Idiots.

If it's too rich for AMC's cheap blood, could HBO buy the franchise? They could really take it to the next level then.
jb

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:38 pm

In happier news, season 4 is out on Blu-Ray today. Already pre-ordered so should be there when I'm off work.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby swerb » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:45 pm

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:In happier news, season 4 is out on Blu-Ray today. Already pre-ordered so should be there when I'm off work.

Sweet. Got like 3 episodes left to watch in season 3.

Think it was actually your post rebel, about the Amazon deal on season 1 that finally got me to jump on board.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby metalhead9x9 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:20 pm

Looks like AMC's willing to go ahead with or without HMFIC: http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/20 ... re+Blog%29

The product placement I can look beyond as long as they make it just as seamless as is within the natural storytelling. But cutting more cast members? Show's gonna lose a big part of it's dynamic without characters like Ken Cosgrove and Lane Pryce. It's definitely gonna lose its soul without Weiner. But the guy's playin big time hardball goin fuckin skying in the middle of negotiations.
metalhead9x9

Favorite Player: Schaudenfraude
Least Favorite Player: Jeffrey Maier

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:16 pm

swerb wrote:
rebelwithoutaclue wrote:In happier news, season 4 is out on Blu-Ray today. Already pre-ordered so should be there when I'm off work.

Think it was actually your post rebel, about the Amazon deal on season 1 that finally got me to jump on board.

Aye, probably one of the best deals I've ever seen, anywhere. 3 seasons of one of the top 2-3 shows on TV for less than 30 bucks, and on blu-ray no less. I blew through all of them by mid-January and have been eagerly awaiting this release. Just finished the 3rd season of Breaking Bad as well so I'm all caught up on the AMC shows, of course just in time for my heart to be broken by the Mad Men delay. Breaking Bad should come soon enough though.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:17 am

e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby mitch » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:56 am

swerb wrote:

Final episode of Season 3 might have been the Best. Ever.

Just started watching Season 4 again on Blu-Ray yesterday...gonna pay more attention this time to Don's self destruction, and how Betty has become my most hated character on TV right from the first scene.
mitch

Unread postby metalhead9x9 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:37 pm

Huzzah.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/amc-rene ... eas,53962/

Biggest news for me is that Weiner says it's finit after Season 7. You think AMC will ever express to the guy how much they appreciate being put on the map? THAT'S WHAT THE MONEY'S FOR!
metalhead9x9

Favorite Player: Schaudenfraude
Least Favorite Player: Jeffrey Maier

Unread postby mitch » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:10 pm

Good news in that regard.

Bad news in the fact that it will be ELEVEN FREAKING MONTHS before we see another new episode.
mitch

Unread postby jerryroche » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:36 am

I've watched "Mad Men" from the beginning and love it.

For those of you, like me, who are going through "Mad Men" withdrawal, I point you to an FX show titled "Justified" with Timothy Olyphant as a Kentucky marshal. Based on and Elmore Leonard short story, the characters are unique and fully drawn -- with enough conflict for any five shows. Best drama on TV right now.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:44 am

jerryroche wrote:I've watched "Mad Men" from the beginning and love it.

For those of you, like me, who are going through "Mad Men" withdrawal, I point you to an FX show titled "Justified" with Timothy Olyphant as a Kentucky marshal. Based on and Elmore Leonard short story, the characters are unique and fully drawn -- with enough conflict for any five shows. Best drama on TV right now.

No doubt Jerry. I love that show. Probably my favorite on TV right now, until Louie and Breaking Bad return anyway.

http://theclevelandfan.com/boards/index.php?f=8&t=20068&rb_v=viewtopic
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby mitch » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:10 am

Season 5 starts on March 25.

Bout. Freaking. Time.
mitch

Unread postby jb » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:19 am

They starting it real time? Is Megan a keeper?
jb

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:17 pm

jb wrote:They starting it real time? Is Megan a keeper?

My call - Draper's marriage starts out fantabulous. Betty's continues to deteriorate ... to the point where Draper gets more custody of the kids, with Megan knocking it out of the park as step mom.

Then it will all start to fall to shit for Don about 2/3 of the way into the season. No way they can have this marriage go well for him, right?

Keep remembering the line the hot blonde consultant gal said to Draper last season - "You only like the beginning of things". Also remember the tense scene in the kitchen of the old empty house between Betty and Don, with Betty seemingly longing for a reunion of her marriage w Don ... just before Draper hit her with the Megan Bomb and told her he was getting remarried.

Also be interesting to see what they do with the Pete, Peggy, and Joan/Sterling storylines.

And Freddie has GOTTA start drinking again. Please.

Can. Not. Effing. Wait.

Half tempted to take Mon the 26th off and throw a watch party somewhere.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby pup » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:39 pm

So what you are saying is I have 75 days to watch 52 episodes to be ready for season 5.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:27 pm

pup wrote:So what you are saying is I have 75 days to watch 52 episodes to be ready for season 5.

Do it. They're only 45 min each without commercials.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:37 pm

Geezes christ has it been a long time.

What Mitch said, about time.

Although originally it was supposed to be a week earlier. Cocksuckers.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Maybe i'll decide to get caught up, maybe I won't.

e0yukyuk CANNOT WAIT FOR SEASON 2 OF TEH KILLING. W00T!
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:13 pm

I was smart enough to quit the Killing at episode five.

And you won't like Mad Men at all, don't bother. I could see you at least finding The Wire tolerable, I'd start there.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:17 pm

I watched The Wire, yukyuk...... it was on fucking HBO. And i've seen most of seasons 1 and 2 of Madmen. Sometimes I think i've taken dumps more interesting.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:18 pm

CDT the Mad Mens is way too smart for you.

FUDU

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:20 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Sometimes I think i've taken dumps more interesting.

Yeah, I didn't see Mad Men not boring you. Slow developing, no crazy deaths, no zombies and no tits? That's like the antithesis of CDT TV.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:22 pm

Yeah. It's almost like a foreign language. A bunch of slime fucks prancing around in skinny ties.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:24 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:

Yeah, I didn't see Mad Men not boring you. Slow developing, no crazy deaths, no zombies and no tits? That's like the antithesis of CDT TV.

My ultimate TV show would have Romans, zombies, Samurai, Ninjas, werewolves fighting on horseback, and all kinds of poon.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:29 pm

Oh and Ian McShane.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby jb » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:59 pm

swerb wrote:

My call - Draper's marriage starts out fantabulous. Betty's continues to deteriorate ... to the point where Draper gets more custody of the kids, with Megan knocking it out of the park as step mom.

Then it will all start to fall to shit for Don about 2/3 of the way into the season. No way they can have this marriage go well for him, right?

Keep remembering the line the hot blonde consultant gal said to Draper last season - "You only like the beginning of things". Also remember the tense scene in the kitchen of the old empty house between Betty and Don, with Betty seemingly longing for a reunion of her marriage w Don ... just before Draper hit her with the Megan Bomb and told her he was getting remarried.

Also be interesting to see what they do with the Pete, Peggy, and Joan/Sterling storylines.

Can. Not. Effing. Wait.

We're already doin it. Martinis wit rumaki and fondu and suits and dresses required. You should come down.
jb

Unread postby jb » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:00 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:

My ultimate TV show would have Romans, zombies, Samurai, Ninjas, werewolves fighting on horseback, and all kinds of poon.

Kirisawa already did his interpretation of "Dawn of Conan the Twilight Barbarian". Try again.
jb

Unread postby jb » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:01 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I watched The Wire, yukyuk...... it was on fucking HBO. And i've seen most of seasons 1 and 2 of Madmen. Sometimes I think i've taken dumps more interesting.

Really depends what you ate and the amount of probiotics involved I suppose.
jb

Unread postby jb » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:04 pm

swerb wrote:

Can. Not. Effing. Wait.

What about Henry's political career?

Can you see Betty as Calista Gingrinch meets McClain's wife or what?

I was to see Sally come of age in the 60's. That's the wildest potential sub plot to me in the context of Henry as political and Betty as ice bitch posing as pol wife.

That and Don and Megan getting it on in a 3 way with Faye. Either one is fine.
jb

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:32 pm

Roger is going to die, how & when are the only questions. Might be the last episode of the season if they plan on a season 6.

Someone has to do Dr. Faye if I'm not.

FUDU

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:28 pm

FUDU - Weiner already committed to three more seasons, a total of 7.

JB - I could see that with Betty ... the evil political wife. Henry forced to stay with her to further his political career. Either that or the marriage continues to go to shit and dies. Betty was way too good a heel character to really chart out any other path for her.

Re: Sally, what an amazing acting performance from the girl that played her, and you're right ... her entering her adolescent years in the 60's is a great sub plot. Free love, LSD, the Merry Pranksters and all that.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:50 pm

pup wrote:So what you are saying is I have 75 days to watch 52 episodes to be ready for season 5.

2-3 episodes a night a couple times a week should get it done. It'd be totally worth it too.

I'm actually kind of jealous. I'd love to be able to go back and watch it all again for the first time.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:51 pm

motherscratcher wrote:

2-3 episodes a night a couple times a week should get it done. It'd be totally worth it too.

I'm actually kind of jealous. I'd love to be able to go back and watch it all again for the first time.

The wife and kids should understand you need those 2 1/2 hours for such a noble purpose. And if they don't I'm sure your boss will be fine if you catch up at work on Netflix.

Headphones, netflix app and iPhone works too.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:17 am

Ok Rich you answered the when, season 7, now the how?

It feels like this show has been off the air since the Browns last playoff appearance, just might go back and watch last season as a pre game for upcoming year.

FUDU

Next

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture