Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Cavaliers v Timberwolves

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Cavaliers v Timberwolves

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:33 pm

I hate everything associated with the Beatles. Fuck off.

ESPN Preview
http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/preview?gameId=320106016

Second game of the trip, and the last before the team goes to the west west and gets hammered by Portland. Somewhat of a kind trip since it only includes 1 back to back, but coming out of these games 2-5 would be impressive and the schedule just continues to onerous after the trip.\

The probable ROY is playing in this game. But was he picked in the 2011 draft? Rubio is starting and displaying the skill-set that caused his celebrity status at the age of 15. Either way the Cavaliers should lose.

Oh, and DWill wasn't worthy of the #1 no matter how you slice it. Good to see any arguement to the contrary put to bed early.

Some TT foddder (posted by a better person in another forum)
http://nbaplaybook.com/2012/01/06/an-ea ... -thompson/
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Re: Cavaliers v Timberwolves

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:53 pm

NONESENSE, TT SHOULD HAVE GONE #2 OVERALL
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby StewieG » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:03 pm

Random thoughts:

My God is Ryan Hollins terrible. He has zero feel for the game, and has no idea where the rebound is going to go. And on top of that, he sucks.

I like Alonzo Gee. I think he'll be a solid starter, especially once he develops his jumper more.

Trade Varejao. He's really playing well, and I don't think his value will be higher.

I like Derrick Williams, but we absolutely made the right pick with Irving. I don't think Williams will ever be a good starter (though I do think he's one of those annoying 6th men who score at will against the opposing team's 2nd units).

Thompson is really active, but once teams start taking away those easy dunks, he's really going to have to work on his offensive game, because it just isn't there.

When Irving gets some teammates who can hit shots, he's really going to rack up the assists. And he has a really high basketball IQ, especially when you consider he hasn't played even a full college season yet. He makes some really nifty passes, and moves without the ball very well.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:10 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:NONESENSE, TT SHOULD HAVE GONE #2 OVERALL

Give him and Knight solid games on the same night and I'm sure half of Cleveland will be seriously suggest that was a no brainer.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:15 pm

StewieG wrote:When Irving gets some teammates who can hit shots, he's really going to rack up the assists. And he has a really high basketball IQ, especially when you consider he hasn't played even a full college season yet. He makes some really nifty passes, and moves without the ball very well.

Since you already wrote it...

Good vision of the floor. Mostly hits guys in motion, moves well without the ball, has a deceptive start and stop, good crossover, and is starting to convert on his outside shooting. No doubt the best player by far, and no matter of overthinking and scheming picks could have yeilded a better return.
Orenthal

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:59 pm

I'm definitely happy TT is looking alright thus far. I was pretty pissed when they drafted him. He's already better than I thought he'd ever be.

But damn, how bad would the Cavs future look if that Clips pick was a few slots lower....gawd.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:14 am

I haven't been this excited about a 4-3 Cavs start since last year's 4-3 Cavs start.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:47 am

Orenthal wrote:
StewieG wrote:When Irving gets some teammates who can hit shots, he's really going to rack up the assists. And he has a really high basketball IQ, especially when you consider he hasn't played even a full college season yet. He makes some really nifty passes, and moves without the ball very well.

Since you already wrote it...

Good vision of the floor. Mostly hits guys in motion, moves well without the ball, has a deceptive start and stop, good crossover, and is starting to convert on his outside shooting. No doubt the best player by far, and no matter of overthinking and scheming picks could have yeilded a better return.

Add to that the fact that he's a surprisingly good rebounder, averaging nearly 4 per game which averages out to nearly 6 per 40 minutes. Considering he's an inch or two shorter than the prototypical point guard, that's really good. Rebounding is all about positioning and with Irving's very high basketball IQ, he can sense where the missed shot will be and position himself accordingly.

So far, the only thing that's been a problem is the turnovers which should be easy to cut down with more experience and more time with the players around him. Shooting percentage is slightly below average but that should improve when he get's better at finishing at the rim. He can already get to the rim at will and once he starts finishing, look out; we could be looking at future 50/40/90 seasons with 8-10 assists per game.

I'm happier every day about the pick.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:27 pm

I don't think anybody saw this win coming and the Cavs basically blew out the T-Pups, extending their 4th quarter lead to 18 points. Very nice execution and consistency on both ends of the floor.

The defense was very solid, holding the Pups to 39% and only 4-of-20 on 3-pointers. The Cavs were 8-for-17 on 3's, better than I expected on the road. It helped that they were more selective. There were a number of times where Cavs players had a 3-point shot but passed it up because the defender was closing quickly.

Scott gave 11 players meaningful minutes, and they all contributed except Samuels, who came in and hacked Love five times in 8 minutes, then sat his sorry ass down. As soon as Erden is ready to play I don't expect to see much if any of Hollins or Samuels the rest of the year.

Twan led the way on both ends, and gave Derrick Williams a "Welcome to the NBA" moment when he spiked a Williams' shot right into the floor after anticipating a spin move.

Sessions was again productive off the bench with 11 pts, 7 assists, and 6 boards in 20 minutes. KI and Sessions combined for 25/12/11, which is a normal game for them. However, KI had 7 of the Cavs' 14 turnovers, so it wasn't his best game. I can see him learning what he can get away with and what he can't.

Love filled up the stat sheet with 29 and 14, but he missed 11 shots, had no assists or steals, four turnovers, and was mostly frustrated by the Cavs defense.

The Cavs are now 4-1 against teams not named after dinosaurs, with the loss coming in OT on the road. So far, way ahead of schedule.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby statmasta » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:10 pm

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:Shooting percentage is slightly below average but that should improve when he get's better at finishing at the rim. He can already get to the rim at will and once he starts finishing, look out; we could be looking at future 50/40/90 seasons with 8-10 assists per game.

I'm happier every day about the pick.

He only struggles finishing against Toronto, apparently.

Against non-Toronto teams he's shooting 51% from the field and 60% from 3pt range.
statmasta

Favorite Player: Sandy Alomar Jr.
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby dmiles » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:11 pm

rebelwithoutaclue wrote:
Add to that the fact that he's a surprisingly good rebounder, averaging nearly 4 per game which averages out to nearly 6 per 40 minutes. Considering he's an inch or two shorter than the prototypical point guard, that's really good. Rebounding is all about positioning and with Irving's very high basketball IQ, he can sense where the missed shot will be and position himself accordingly.

Is that true? I thought he was of a decent size with plenty of filling out room but I honestly off the top of my head (google is cheating) was thinking he was a hair above average height-wise.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:35 pm

dmiles wrote:
rebelwithoutaclue wrote:

Is that true? I thought he was of a decent size with plenty of filling out room but I honestly off the top of my head (google is cheating) was thinking he was a hair above average height-wise.

He's listed at 6'3" but he seems more like 6'1. Maybe it's just a personal preference, but I prefer the taller PG's. Seems to lead to better court vision. If he really is 6'3" then I retract my previous statement.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby StewieG » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:46 pm

Irving measures 6'1.75" without shoes, 6'3.5" with. This is via draftexpress.com
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby dmiles » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:33 pm

Prolly beating the proverbial dead horse but if we assume 6'-3" is that below average?
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:07 pm

Irving is 3rd on the team in blocked shots. Whatever his height, he's tall enough to play point guard.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:01 pm

dmiles wrote:Prolly beating the proverbial dead horse but if we assume 6'-3" is that below average?

6'3" is acceptable. Chris Paul is 6'0" but he's a rare exception.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby statmasta » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:28 pm

dmiles wrote:Prolly beating the proverbial dead horse but if we assume 6'-3" is that below average?

The average height of NBA point guards this year is just under 6'2". So Irving's height is above average
statmasta

Favorite Player: Sandy Alomar Jr.
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Orenthal » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:35 pm

Like everything with Irving its a bit deceptive. He does not play big and doesn't seem especially long so I feel rebel's point even if he has the measurables.
Orenthal

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA