Text Size

College Sports Arena

PSU hires Bill O'Brien (Pat's OC)

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

PSU hires Bill O'Brien (Pat's OC)

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:42 am

ESPN is reporting this. He will continue to coach the Pats in the PO's, and does not have a staff together. PSU boards are melting down everywhere (there really was a big contingent that thought some huge name was coming, like Saban) and reactions are being written on blogs...not too many happy campers.

http://bloguin.com/crystalballrun/2012-articles/january/penn-state-angers-arrington-with-potential-obrien-hire.html

http://gcobb.com/2012/01/06/penn-state-coaching-search-a-fiasco-of-the-highest-order/

What do you guys think?
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Re: PSU hires Bill O'Brien (Pat's OC)

Unread postby Sea Foam Green » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:47 am

Patriots Coordinators, under Bellichek, have a great track record of success as Head Coaches. Great Hire.
Sea Foam Green

Favorite Player: 1st Round Draft Pick
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby mattvan1 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:52 am

JCoz wrote:What do you guys think?

I think that's what happens when you get into a screaming match with Tom Brady on the sidelines during a game, and then that footage is re-shown 1,000,000,000,000,000 times.

You are exiled to Happy Valley.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:01 am

With a grin that creepy, he's perfect for Penn State.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:24 am

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter 2m
Titans offfensive quality control coach Charles London is expected to join Bill O'Brien and go to Penn St as the running backs coach.
JCoz

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:50 am

Well, this is certainly going to help recruiting:

http://bwi.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1315395
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:06 am

Yah most/all of that is in the blog post I linked to in the first post.

Not happy right now.
JCoz

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:08 am

Ah, whatever Bloguin (WTF) is it crashes IE6, so there is that.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jb » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:07 pm

Terrible choice. They still don't get it. He's a pure, in your face, football coach. They need a program builder more than anything. Winning football is secondary.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:12 pm

They needed to let LJ Sr take over for a few years then hired a real coach.

Peeps connected to PSU (deeply) still swear to this day that Meyer was all but wrapped up there before the Sandusky scandal broke.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:27 pm

Yeah they can keep believing that if they want, but if they are deeply connected they also know that the Sandusky scandal had been in the undercurrent for a long time before he the indictments started rolling out. There are things in print from March and April talking about that situation coming to a head, and that wasn't the first PSU people had heard about it. To say that they had him wrapped up prior to the Sandusky scandal breaking would be implying that that whole thing just came right out of left field less than 60 days ago, which is factually incorrect.

Regardless its moot at this point. He's here and O'Brien is there.
Last edited by JCoz on Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JCoz

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:36 pm

Someone really should introduce Penn State to their new roommates, Indiana and Minnesota.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:22 pm

"I will put my Butkus (Award) in storage. I will put my Alamo Bowl MVP trophy in storage," Arrington said.

Alamo Bowl MVP Trophies exist?

WAR Spirit awards.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby jb » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:27 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:They needed to let LJ Sr take over for a few years then hired a real coach.

Peeps connected to PSU (deeply) still swear to this day that Meyer was all but wrapped up there before the Sandusky scandal broke.

Dunno they could have gone internal, but yah, some one like that. They need a leader and program healer, not a football coach. As stupid as this sounds given his abysmal performance at Detroit, they should have convinced Matt Millen to come in and play chairman of the Board role for 2 / 3 years until all the hangings are over while they groom the next HC as an assistant. Essentially it would have been no different than having JoPerv Lover as HC. Millen would articulate the program and right the ship to where maybe one day football would be relevant.
Last edited by jb on Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:28 pm

I don't think he'll be there long...he's likely the only one who would take the job until Sandusky and the others are in jail where they belong

With that in mind, its a stretch to say they didn't attempt to find better

As for moi, there are probly more OSU fans here who give a rats ass about PSU than I....like furls for instance

:pop:

Myself, I'm more interested in when the trials start and hearing about the right people get bubba-fucked in the showers
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:49 pm

JCoz wrote:Yeah they can keep believing that if they want, but if they are deeply connected they also know that the Sandusky scandal had been in the undercurrent for a long time before he the indictments started rolling out. There are things in print from March and April talking about that situation coming to a head, and that wasn't the first PSU people had heard about it. To say that they had him wrapped up prior to the Sandusky scandal breaking would be implying that that whole thing just came right out of left field less than 60 days ago, which is factually incorrect.

Regardless its moot at this point. He's here and O'Brien is there.

It is funny how the deluded PSU fan base continued until a couple days ago...when it became obvious that O'Brien was the target of the moment...to think that they were going to get Nick Saban, or some other "home run" hire.

Not only was the PSU thing brewing just below the surface for several months (years?) before it broke, but we have many (unsourced) reports that Meyer had made his availability and interest known to OSU through back channels as early as last spring, when the OSU Board was grappling with what to do about JT. Doesn't sound like a guy who was "wrapped up" to anyone else.

I'm sure you've seen the former PSU players today expressing their disappointment (anger...in the case of LaVar Arrington) about the choice of O'Brien. It appears to center more about Bradley, or some other PSU man not getting the job. JB's right that staying internal was not a viable option for them. They can live with Arrington being upset. What they couldn't live with was the other 99.9999% of the country being appalled that they didn't completely clean house. Imagine the media shitstorm that rightly would have ensued if Bradley had gotten the nod.

What was completely classless though, was the way they hung Bradley out to dry...not even giving him the courtesy of a call yesterday to tell him they had made their decision.

I understand JB's criticism of the choice...though it may be too early to assume that the guy they hired can't be the healer of the program that it needs. Of course they offered the job to numerous others that they thought would be that guy...Dungy among others. What they needed in the end was somebody to say yes, so they could get on with it. I'm not ready to assume that "they don't get it"...just because they weren't able to attract their first, second, third or fourth choice into accepting the job.

And I'm not minimizing the devastation to the program when I point out that they did have to give some weight to getting a guy who can get results on the field for them, as opposed to someone who would be more of a figurehead "healer" for however long. In Jerry Sandusky, we're talking about a monster and a criminal of the first order, but one who had not had an active role in the football program for 12 years before this broke.

From the start, the people who thought the way to handle this was to suspend the playing of football at Penn State...or to somehow make it less important...or relevant for some period of time...may have been right...but they were certainly unrealistic. The reason this devastates the PSU community is because PSU football is so important to the whole community. Taking it away...or telling people it shouldn't be as important to them as it is, isn't likely to be seen as "healing", IMO.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby gotribe31 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:01 pm

I still think they should have hired Joe Lombardi
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby furls » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:03 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:They needed to let LJ Sr take over for a few years then hired a real coach.

These guys that are connected to PSU are delusional. Meyer has been tOSU for a while. PSU was never even on the RADAR for Meyer, it was always tOSU or nothing this year.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby furls » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:06 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:I don't think he'll be there long...he's likely the only one who would take the job until Sandusky and the others are in jail where they belong

As for moi, there are probly more OSU fans here who give a rats ass about PSU than I....like furls for instance

Myself, I'm more interested in when the trials start and hearing about the right people get bubba-fucked in the showers

Then why do you post here?
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:00 pm

Just for your reading pleasure I'm sure Furls.
JCoz

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:25 pm

furls wrote:
Fire Marshall Bill wrote:I don't think he'll be there long...he's likely the only one who would take the job until Sandusky and the others are in jail where they belong

Then why do you post here?

Your ignore button isn't working but, to answer your question, I have friends here

Now crawl back into your OSU jammies and fix your ignore buttons lest you start looking like my little troll bitch
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:30 pm

JCoz wrote:Just for your reading pleasure I'm sure Furls.

He's pretty easy to annoy thats fir schur..... crys a lot, too

Personally, I think he needs a Farrah Fawcett poster on his wall instead of all those OSU jocks in their straps....
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:43 pm

And I'm not minimizing the devastation to the program when I point out that they did have to give some weight to getting a guy who can get results on the field for them, as opposed to someone who would be more of a figurehead "healer" for however long. In Jerry Sandusky, we're talking about a monster and a criminal of the first order, but one who had not had an active role in the football program for 12 years before this broke.

This is the most honest and objective post yet at this site on the entire situation...

While there are certainly people who deserve to be punished as well as the insitution itself, the lack of direct involvment with the football program is going to make the same people blow gaskets when this is all over

As for Lavarr, he's too dumb to know the entire staff had to go...just like the byuildingb where this happened...I expect it will soon be rubble and a new facility built on its footprint

No way you can take recruits and parents thru the halls of that place so peeps can point out "thats where it happened"
Fire Marshall Bill

Unread postby furls » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:22 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:

This is the most honest and objective post yet at this site on the entire situation...

While there are certainly people who deserve to be punished as well as the insitution itself, the lack of direct involvment with the football program is going to make the same people blow gaskets when this is all over

As for Lavarr, he's too dumb to know the entire staff had to go...just like the byuildingb where this happened...I expect it will soon be rubble and a new facility built on its footprint

No way you can take recruits and parents thru the halls of that place so peeps can point out "thats where it happened"

It is OK to admit you are a PSU fan. I would respect you a lot more if you were honest about your own bias. At least I wouldn't think you were a fucking pussy who changes his allegiances over a scandal. Instead you prefer to come to a college sports/football board and pretend like you have no allegiances to any team...

You can talk all you like about objectivity, but at least we are upfront about where we are coming from. That is a huge part of actually being objective.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:30 pm

So LJ Sr. could be retained but not made HC?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Return to College Sports Arena