Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

All eyes on Baylor tonight

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: All eyes on Baylor tonight

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:28 pm

Cleveland Matt wrote:A bag of taco's?

Wow. Congrats. You are the first poster in 12 years for which I have used the "ignore" feature. Well played.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby pup » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:30 pm

I can't wait for this Owen Marecic to get back on the field. He reminds me of a young Paul Hornung.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Cleveland Matt » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:32 pm

hahah, thanks to you as well. I will ignore you for not being able to take a joke
Cleveland Matt

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:00 am

Cleveland Matt wrote:I have also said that I think Holmgren's ego is too big to take a QB that high. It would be an insult to him to draft a QB that high when he can find a gem in the later rounds. That is what he did with Colt and that is what he will do again.

I gotta tell you, I dont know where this iron clad sentiment that Holmgren is personally against taking an elite level QB prospect came from and why it seems so universally accepted. Does anyone have a direct quote that attributes this type of attitude to holmgren? Didn't Holmgren himself say he tried several times to talk St Louis into trading their #1 so Holmgrem could take Bradford?

I don't think there is historical evidence of Holmgren being in control of a team with a group of QB's and Draft picks like the browns and passing on top QB's either.

I dont think Holmgren has personal feelings against drafting a top QB prospect.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:34 am

Cleveland Matt wrote:Either way the Browns are not close to getting in the playoffs and no QB is going to help this team right now. We can't even win a division game.

I'll skip your one-game analysis and comparisons, which have already been rightly crucified.

I'll concentrate on just how dumb THIS statement is.

The Browns are not close to getting into the playoffs. So, pray tell, what position is it that will help this team right now? If no QB can help this team (even though the NFL proved this season how important QB play is), drafting a RT will make them contenders? All we're missing is a WR that our current QB's won't be good enough to hit to magically put us over the top (just like Larry Fitzgerald in 'Zona)? Oh, a RB, you say? Yes, b/c Adrian Peterson, MJD, Stephen Jackson, and LeSean McCoy were able to carry their teams, right? A Corner? Yep, I don't know how many times I've seen a good Corner come in and turn around a team, whereas that never happens with a QB.

Are you one of those "Build the team and we'll get the QB later" dudes? When? When is it that we're gonna get this QB? When the rest of the team is perfect? News flash - it'll NEVER be perfect. No team is perfect. Yeah, you want to surround any QB you have with as much talent as possible, but if you've built a team that is solid at every spot but QB, you're probably not going to be drafting high enough to get a good one. So HOW do you get the QB later?

I swear, some fans won't let go of the shit that's been pounded into their heads no matter how many times it's evidenced not to be true.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby noles1 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:35 pm

There are two quaterbacks in this draft. To not do everything possible to get at least one on the roster will amount to nothing more than a failure by this organization. And I'm more than willing to concede that Griffin is far from a sure thing.

Get the QB and get him now. No excuses.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:44 pm

RG3 was at midfield at the Sugar Bowl for all the good things he did with 22 individuals.

anyone who compares him to Mike Vick is a moron.

Dude's smart, comes from a good home and has some amazing skills.

draft him please.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:44 pm

motherscratcher wrote:FTR, who can I compare Sanchez to?

Vinny Testaverde
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:45 pm

noles1 wrote:There are two quaterbacks in this draft.

Is Barkley staying at USC for another year or am I missing something?
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:52 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:
noles1 wrote:There are two quaterbacks in this draft.

Is Barkley staying at USC for another year or am I missing something?

He's staying and the apparent board consensus is that he is Brady Quinn take 2 anyways.

There, all caught up now.
JCoz

Unread postby jb » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:42 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
Cleveland Matt wrote:A bag of taco's?

Wow. Congrats. You are the first poster in 12 years for which I have used the "ignore" feature. Well played.

Well, he coulda gone with the mustache references, but he took the high road.

BTW - Anyone listen to Holmgren? Lots of heads may explode come draft day.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:00 pm

jb wrote:BTW - Anyone listen to Holmgren? Lots of heads may explode come draft day.

I did, and if he said anything noteworthy, this is the first I'm hearing of it. Lots of politically correct platitudes and "we can't talk about that". Anything said about the draft is pretty much complete garbage.

The only thing he said that made me interested was basically warning Shurmur that 4 wins wouldn't cut it next year.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:11 pm

Not sure why you'd say that Hiko, when Holmgren has said something about the draft he's seemingly been extremely striaght forward. But he doesn't say that much.

Holmgren did ask the reporters - what are you going to say if we draft a defensive player at #4? A great pass rusher? A great Linebacker?

Of course neither of those exist at the top of the draft this year.

Pretty much the only REALLY, REALLY dissapointing way for them to spend that pick is by drafting Coples, at least for me.

Which of course means that you can pencil that in now.
JCoz

Previous

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL