Text Size

College Sports Arena

Bowl Pools

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: Bowl Pools

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:31 pm

awfulannouncing Awful Announcing
Do you really care about conference records in bowl games or is it totally overblown

The bizarre thing about CFB. is..in any other sport, I never hear this argument

In CBB, I don't see people talking up the ACC/Big Ten over the performance of other teams.

Apples to Oranges, but I feel no source of "AFC NORTH" Pride because we were the only team not in the playoffs from that conference.

Nobody cares as a fanbase. I'm sure Bayou could give a shit. I'm sure any random PAC ten fan could give a shit. And BIG fans? I'm sure don't care. The only people that seem to care are ESPN, their execs, and their talking airheads.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby furls » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:19 pm

I care only for the sake of trying to assess the relative strengths of teams to thereby increase my hit % ATS or in the bowl pools.

If I can surmise that Big 12 defenses appear to be soft, like the bowls indicated, then that means that I would expect that other teams will put up lots of points on them and the over looks better etc. It is also helpful if you are able to look down the ACC and see that the conference looks week, it therefore completely invalidates all of VaTech's schedule and you can say that VaTech did not beat a single decent team all year. Same thing with Clemson.

My final observations are that:

-B1G offenses are terrible not just tOSU, but pretty much all of them. scUM, PSU, Nebraska, MSU and Illinois' offenses all looked awful.
-B12 defenses suck.
-ACC looks bad
-Big East is probably worse than the MAC.
-MAC had some good teams.
-Mid Majors in general looked pretty decent relative to the big boys
-SEC plays the best football on both sides of the ball.
-P12 is very overrated.

Pretty disappointing bowl season all in all. Lots of close games, but don't let a competitive game fool you into thinking it is a good game. 2011-2012 bowl season has looked like two special ed kids fighting in a parking lot, mildly amusing but it will never be confused with Ali v Frazier.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby jb » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:35 pm

Triple-S wrote:
awfulannouncing Awful Announcing
Do you really care about conference records in bowl games or is it totally overblown

The bizarre thing about CFB. is..in any other sport, I never hear this argument

In CBB, I don't see people talking up the ACC/Big Ten over the performance of other teams.

Apples to Oranges, but I feel no source of "AFC NORTH" Pride because we were the only team not in the playoffs from that conference.

Nobody cares as a fanbase. I'm sure Bayou could give a shit. I'm sure any random PAC ten fan could give a shit. And BIG fans? I'm sure don't care. The only people that seem to care are ESPN, their execs, and their talking airheads.

Hmmmmm. I remember having my first Big 10 vs other conferences when Ozzie and Bama hammered tOSU and Meatchicken got house in the Orange Bow in like 78 or something. Dunno we can really blame the Devil in Bristol for all of this.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:41 pm

jb wrote:Hmmmmm. I remember having my first Big 10 vs other conferences when Ozzie and Bama hammered tOSU and Meatchicken got house in the Orange Bow in like 78 or something. Dunno we can really blame the Devil in Bristol for all of this.

From my perspective (which begins around 2000). I never really heard that whole argument.

I mean, the old joke was the Big Ten would normally get killed in Pasadena, but it was not a slam on the conference itself. I had heard about how great the experience was to watch CFB in the South, but never about how the teams were superior to their union counterparts

At times I can recall ESPN going on about how great USC and Miami (Fl) were, but there was never talk about how their conference was superior to "X conference". And in the 06 season, up until that game, the whole world was calling the Bucks the best team, again, no talk of conferences save for a few SEC honks pushing for Florida in the Title game.

Coincidentally, 06 was the last time ABC Sports existed as a Brand, following that ESPN/Disney kind of dissolved it. I really miss that old branding.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby furls » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:49 pm

To defend JBs point a bit, there really was a fundamental difference in the football played in the south in the early 70s and the stereotypes still exist today. The SEC really valued speed in the 70s while the Big 10 and Big 8 valued size and power football, the result was that the SEC put some teams on the field that literally ran circles around the cornfeds.

I don't remember much conversation about conference superiority in the 80s (70s predates me quite a bit) and really the sports dialog that we see today really didn't pick up until the 90s. As for the conference bowl penis measuring, I remember seeing it posted on ESPN some in the late 90s (98ish I only remember the year because I was living in Cuba at the time). I also remember that it was posted more as a statement of fact... "the Big Ten was 4-3, the SEC was 4-3, the B12 was 5-1, etc."

IMO this era of competitive dialog is really a by product of limited availability of seats for Nat'l Championships and BCS games; it is a way for fans to cry foul when they think their team has been jobbed, now if there were a 16 team playoff, I think a lot of this would die down.

There will not be a playoff anytime soon, so please, let's not start walking down that road AGAIN.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:11 pm

Anyone got a link to the "rating system" or is it all just a plethora of personal opinion ....IOW, crap

Bo & Woody's Rose Bowl records my be a nice addition, too....

Maybe someone so concerened about it will take the time to at least post some conference bowl win numbers from say the last 20 yrs to set some sort of standard of measurement instead of the standard 'this is my opinion and therefore its right'....

...and I believe the BSC game conference totals will make Big 10 Zealots rethink even having the argument
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby furls » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:05 pm

Not sure how Woody and Bo's records are pertinent to a discussion on bowls in 2011. you just making up stupid shit now? FWIW, Woody was 4-4 in Rose Bowls. I could give to shits what Bo did in the Rose Bowl. I hope he lost them all.

Why don't you look them up to dispute my opinion troll? Or is that not what trolls do? Please school me on your 3lit3 trolling skillz so one day I can go to message boards on teams that I don't follow and contribute absolutely nothing of worth.

It is exactly personal opinion, I never claimed to that it met any standard of scientific or mathematical rigor. I have never expressed any of it as fact. Cool having you around though, bringing the good takes and all. Really contributing.

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4] The noun troll may refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted".

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby pup » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:02 pm

Let's start playing bowl games at Cleveland Browns Stadium, The Ketchup Bottle and Gillette Stadium and see how the games go.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:15 pm

pup wrote:Let's start playing bowl games at Cleveland Browns Stadium, The Ketchup Bottle and Gillette Stadium and see how the games go.

I had always wondered how that would go in all seriousness.

Triple-S

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:27 pm

I never knew Clemson had a JV football team till tonite....
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:28 pm

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:I never knew Clemson had a JV football team till tonite....

Momentum can be a funny thing.

if not for that 99 yard fumble this is Rose Bowl/Fiesta Bowl/Alamo Bowl pt. 2.

Triple-S

Unread postby jb » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:48 am

pup wrote:Let's start playing bowl games at Cleveland Browns Stadium, The Ketchup Bottle and Gillette Stadium and see how the games go.

If they can play in Boise & NYC, they could play here.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:17 pm

jb wrote:

If they can play in Boise & NYC, they could play here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Lakes_Bowl

Triple-S

Previous

Return to College Sports Arena