Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Pomeranz's 1st start

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Pomeranz's 1st start

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:43 pm

5 innings, 2 hits, 2 walks, 2 K's.n Not a bad debut, expecially after being traded, I imagine that puts some more pressure on him. Seems to have handled it.

Im just more intrigued that the Rockies called him up so quickly.
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Re: Pomeranz's 1st start

Unread postby swerb » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:14 pm

I think there was some pressure on them to do it to justify the trade and justify White and Pomeranz as kids that could fill big league rotation spots right now.

At least from the people I know out there, according to them, at the time of the trade, it was insanely unpopular in Colorado.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:44 pm

Yep, and Alex White's given up 20 earned runs in 22 innings along with 9 HR.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:58 am

I watched the first two innings yesterday. He looked a bit nervous and was effectively wild. He's got some good stuff, although I saw him throw mostly fastballs. His parents and two siblings were there

He's a lot bigger than I realized. Not quite a white CC, but the kid's got some size to him.

He looked good. Hope they don't rush those two to justify the deal, especially White coming off that injury. His numbers look horrible, certainly not how he pitched for us this season.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:59 am

Indians must be very happy Pomeranz debut on NFL opening day.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby gotribe31 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:06 pm

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Indians must be very happy Pomeranz debut on NFL opening day.

I don't think they particuarly care either way.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:45 am

For anyone who is curious, BP's Kevin Goldstein ranked Pomz as the Rockies 2nd best prospect. Full writeup here:

2. Drew Pomeranz, LHP
DOB: 11/22/88
Height/Weight: 6-5/230
Bats/Throws: R/L
Drafted/Signed: First round, 2010, Mississippi
2011 Stats: 1.87 ERA (77.0-56-32-95) at High-A (15 G), 0.00 ERA (10.0-2-0-7) at Double-A Texas League (2 G), 2.57 ERA (14.0-10-6-17) at Double-A Eastern League (3 G)
Tools Profile: He’s a pure power package from the left side.

Year in Review: Pomeranz was in the midst of a breakout year before he headed to Colorado in the Ubaldo Jimenez deal. He made his big-league debut after undergoing an appendectomy.
The Good: While Pomeranz averaged 91 mph with the Rockies, he was rusty and normally sits 92-93 and touches 96. Despite the plus velocity, especially for a left-hander, the fastball is his second-base pitch; his curve best is a plus to plus-plus offering with hard spin and heavy break. He has a big frame built to eat up innings, and clean mechanics.
The Bad: Much of Pomeranz's success in the minors came as a two-pitch pitcher; he could dominate with his fastball and curve without exposing his below-average changeup. He's never been an efficient pitcher, and needs to throw more strikes to get deeper into games.
Ephemera: Pomeranz allowed only one first-inning run in his 20 minor-league starts. During the first frames, he gave up just seven hits and two walks, and struck out 24.
Perfect World Projection: He could be a number-two starter starter.
Fantasy Impact: It's never easy to be a pitcher in Colorado, but Pomeranz should get you plenty of strikeouts.
Path to the Big Leagues: Pomeranz will be part of a crowded competition for the Rockies’ rotation, but might be best served with half of a season of Triple-A starts.
ETA: Late 2012
https://baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=15780
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:31 pm

Baseball America has him as the Rock's #1.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:06 pm

I hate baseball america. They used to be good, but got lazy and lost most of their talent to BP or independent websites. I trust Goldstein over anyone else in the business when it comes to prospect evaluations.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB