Text Size

College Sports Arena

OSU's Fragel officially an OT

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

OSU's Fragel officially an OT

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:14 pm

Reid Fragel's long-debated shift from tight end to offensive tackle is now official. Fragel told reporters after the Gator Bowl that it was his decision to approach Urban Meyer about the position change. He feels his best opportunity to make it in the NFL is at tackle...plus the Buckeyes are dangerously thin at the position.

Fragel said he weighs 280 now (at 6' 8") and hopes to play next season at 300 lbs. He said the tight end position is in good hands with Stoneburner there for one more year, and two promising freshmen coming back for their second seasons...Jeff Heuerman, who impressed in his first year, and Nick Vanett, who redshirted this past season. He tweeted this morning that his new number will probably be 77.

Heuerman's younger brother is one of the nation's top tight ends in the class of 2013, and he would have to be considered an OSU "lean" at this point.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Re: OSU's Fragel officially an OT

Unread postby jb » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:28 pm

danwismar wrote:
Fragel said he weighs 280 now (at 6' 8") and hopes to play next season at 300 lbs. .

He bulks up like that without getting fat wouldn't it make him "Fragel Rock"?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:33 pm

I'll say it again, jb...

Twitter is in your future. A medium made for the man.

Speaking of Twitter...Urban Meyer's first move in today's 7 a.m. meeting was to ban Twitter accounts for OSU players. The other comment reported this morning was Meyer to Stoneburner, in front of the whole team...

"Jake, I'm going to make you an All-American next year"
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby jb » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:34 pm

danwismar wrote:I'll say it again, jb...

Speaking of Twitter...Urban Meyer's first move in today's 7 a.m. meeting was to ban Twitter accounts for OSU players. The other comment reported this morning was Meyer to Stoneburner, in front of the whole team...

CDT told me twitter was not to be used. He likes to dictate and clicks on the Russian love match banner ads, so I thought I'd listen.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:38 pm

I think he also tweeted that this would be his last game at TE before the bowl.

But that's nothing but good for the Depth at Tackle. Even if he is only a backup, I feel a bit better trotting out a 300lb Fragel at RT than Underwood or Hall.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:20 pm

jb wrote:CDT told me twitter was not to be used. He likes to dictate and clicks on the Russian love match banner ads, so I thought I'd listen.

I think it goes without saying that taking CDT's advice was your first mistake. Besides, CDT is on Twitter now, and the earth hasn't yet spun off its axis.

danwismar

Unread postby bucknutz94 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:24 pm

danwismar wrote:I'll say it again, jb...

Good move showing Jake some love. Hope that cements him coming back next year.
bucknutz94

Favorite Player: Billy Wood
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Downs

Unread postby furls » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:26 pm

Stoneburner is coming back next year. I love the move by Fragel, he is already excellent in pass pro and run blocking. I have seen him take on very good DE's and LBs in 9 Technique and stone them. Fragel is a big strong kid and I think he ends up making a hell of a difference next year. I would not be surprised to see him start over the scrub tackles currently on the roster. Only one true tackle returns, Norwell. I like Diamond, Dodson, Decker and O'Connor but none of them are guys that I expect to see start as freshman.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby neoleo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:13 am

furls wrote:Stoneburner is coming back next year. I love the move by Fragel, he is already excellent in pass pro and run blocking. I have seen him take on very good DE's and LBs in 9 Technique and stone them. Fragel is a big strong kid and I think he ends up making a hell of a difference next year. I would not be surprised to see him start over the scrub tackles currently on the roster. Only one true tackle returns, Norwell. I like Diamond, Dodson, Decker and O'Connor but none of them are guys that I expect to see start as freshman.

I love this move. I think you can lock him in a RT right away with Norwell going back out to LT. Then you have Bobek at C, Mewhort at one guard and you let Linsley, Hall and the fat guys that survive the cut battle it out for the other guard spot and interior depth. Mewhort can be your swing guy that provides depth at the tackles, along with the incoming freshman.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Return to College Sports Arena