Text Size

College Sports Arena

Bowl Pools

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Bowl Pools

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:58 am

Well, I was doing pretty well on my bowl pools, except that there was a lot more chalk this year than normal. I didn't play enough favorites so it just felt too easy. Now I found myself behind in all my pools, so I made some assumptions that my picks were going to be largely representative of everyone elses.... so I reversed them all.

Today is literally do or die for me in 4 different pools. Anyone else had to make similar plays? Made a ton of plays today that I absolutely hate! Need to make up a ton of points.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Bowl Pools

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:14 am

Some real interesting games, always have to look at who's losing coaches, and who even cares about being in the game, along with the normal stats and trends.

PSU/Hou- both teams losing coaches, Hou plays in a back yard league and doesn't face any Ds worth a shit. PSU managed to hold it together pretty well but has QB issues on an already struggling O.

OSU/Fla- which offense will be least awful? Muschamp has lost his locker room, already called the kids soft and Weis won't be calling the plays (more of a positive). Gators are missing their starting tackle, and will run a kid out there that has already lost the job once. Stonebruner will be limited at best, and Miller throws like a girl, but the D is decent. Oh, and BOLLMAN! So there's that.

Wis/Ore- Could be 100 points in this game. It will come down to the Ds. I think Wisc takes the same game plan they use in all their other bowl games, ground and pound- keep the Ore point machine off the field. Wilson > Thomas and that might be the difference.

UGA/MSU- Historically Tomato Can coaches. Looks pretty evenly matched across the board. Dantonio has never won a bowl game, but Sparty has a good D. Richt runs the most underachieving program in the country, but they have a better D than MSU. Murray or Cousins- Toss up, but Kirk is an awful name.

Night cap- Stan/Ok St- again, could be 100 points scored. Stan is trending down recently, but has a balanced O and good system. And the best QB prospect in a decade playing his last game. Ok St. can run with the best of them, has the best WR in CFB and a mature QB who is pretty damn good himself. Their D has better players, and will probably be the difference. I bet Ok St. makes a solid case for a +1 system tonight.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:26 am

I pretty much agree with all your takes...

Here some of my general observations:

-B12 defenses generally blow except Texas. That is definitely factoring into my picks.
-The PAC is not showing well, definitely wondering what the overall strength of the conference is.
-ACC looks like SHIT.
-Big East looks worse.
-B1G is still a question mark as is the SEC.

In that context, I wonder how the Stanford D will match up with the OK st. O, that is the key to the game. The Ok. st. O is more explosive than the Standford O and that is leading me to trend to OK. St. in this game.

Oregon vs. Wisco is really a test of the B1G. We really don't know much about the B1G this year due to a lack of relavant interconference games. If Wisco's D can hold on 1/3 possessions I think they can win, I tend to think that they can, but remember that Wisco's entire offensive staff is leaving for Pittsburgh.

PSU/Houston. Houston is clearly more explosive and PSU has shown to be vulnerable. The real question is how engaged are the players on both side and can PSU "out athlete" Houston's O. The Houston O is schematically superior to the PSU D and Case will not make a lot of mistakes, PSU's secondary is just going to have to flash better athletes. If they don't they lose. (I think they don't and Houston wins).
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:09 pm

I think PSU has better players at every position other than QB. I think they will be able to get a pass rush with 4 or 5, and on O they will be able to run enough to win the TOP battle. Hou got smacked when they played their only halfway decent competition.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:32 pm

No doubt PSU has better players. I am just more concerned about them playing soft and allowing Houston to hit the underneath stuff all day. One huge advantage for PSU is that Tom Bradley is getting another interview for the PSU job so he is a serious candidate.

He also has to realize that if he blows this game his candidacy takes a big step back. He has to know the importance of this game, and I think he will be ready.

This could be a huge day for the B1G or it could be a complete disaster, I literally think it could go either way.

Bad losses to the SEC (again) would undermine any other accomplishments, therefore the OSU and MSU games are huge! Additionally, Wisco getting blown the fuck out by Oregon would be really bad too.

I think either Wisco wins that game or gets BLOWN THE FUCK OUT. I really can't see it going any other way. Either Wisco dominates upfront on both sides of the ball and wins or they get fucking killed by 50. I can't figure out which it will be, no matter how many Monte Carlo simulations I run in my head.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:30 pm

Erin Andrews has on fantastic camel toe pants. Really top notch.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:35 pm

PSU opens up in craptacular fashion.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:38 pm

PSU's offense looks like OSU's.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:42 pm

And that's it for PSU. No way can they score 18 points.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:46 pm

How sad is it that PSU is completely been locked down by a C-USA team? Wow! They look like fucking shit. Soft coverage underneath with over the top help is killing them. They are getting shredded underneath while trying to avoid getting beat deep. If PSU really believes they have superior athletes on the perimeter than their CBs should be playing a lot tighter particularly on the field side.

Their offense seriously looks just like OSU's. It is fucking TERRIBLE. It is giving me flashbacks to tOSU this season.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:49 pm

furls wrote:Their offense seriously looks just like OSU's. It is fucking TERRIBLE. It is giving me flashbacks to tOSU this season.

Bolden looks horrendous. I'm talking "pull his ride" bad. Lions getting pretty decent push up front, but slaughtered in the secondary.

First game of the day and I'm down.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:52 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
furls wrote:Their offense seriously looks just like OSU's. It is fucking TERRIBLE. It is giving me flashbacks to tOSU this season.

Bolden looks horrendous. I'm talking "pull his ride" bad. Lions getting pretty decent push up front, but slaughtered in the secondary.

First game of the day and I'm down.

Tried to warn you... this is looking prophetic right now.

PSU/Houston. Houston is clearly more explosive and PSU has shown to be vulnerable. The real question is how engaged are the players on both side and can PSU "out athlete" Houston's O. The Houston O is schematically superior to the PSU D and Case will not make a lot of mistakes, PSU's secondary is just going to have to flash better athletes. If they don't they lose. (I think they don't and Houston wins).

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:57 pm

PSU's D isn't exactly flying to the ball or hitting either. That is what I hate about these passive, soft zones.... it takes the aggression out of the players. Schematically neuters the team. At least when you play bump and run rush 7, the players fly around the field, the PSU D is doing the exact opposite. They are playing from their heels.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:06 pm

Man under, cover 1, blitz every down. Can't possibly lose more.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:14 pm

And they need to scratch these zone read, deep hand-off crap. Line up and punch them in the mouth.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby jb » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:16 pm

furls wrote:PSU's D isn't exactly flying to the ball or hitting either. That is what I hate about these passive, soft zones.... it takes the aggression out of the players. Schematically neuters the team. At least when you play bump and run rush 7, the players fly around the field, the PSU D is doing the exact opposite. They are playing from their heels.

Too bad that's the only thing neutered at State Penn. Love the justice being served.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:17 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:And they need to scratch these zone read, deep hand-off crap. Line up and punch them in the mouth.

Like what Bom just did.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:38 pm

Anyone who put good hard earned money on PSU today obviously had never seen Bolden play before today.....at least I hope so

...and Bradly never had/has a shot at the HC gig...it'll be a total houscleaning with bleach & muratic acid

BTW jb...stick this up your ass and twirl :fu:
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:44 pm

This OSU bowl game is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. Lame duck staff, Bollman, bowl ban next year. I'm turning this off.

Eat my penis Gene Smith.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:10 pm

If South Carolina could tackle, thy'd be in control. These games blow as well. Fuck.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:28 pm

Can I ask you guys on an honest question?

When did College Football become about "Who's the best conference", and not about "Who are the best teams?"
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:29 pm

Wil Muschamp does not appear to be a good coach. Awful clock management for the gators.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:38 pm

Triple-S wrote:Can I ask you guys on an honest question?

When did College Football become about "Who's the best conference", and not about "Who are the best teams?"

When ESPN took over the dialog and invented 500 TV shows that serve no purpose whatsoever other than creating arguments. Seriously. The other part of the issue is that about 15 years ago big teams discovered that if they played a shit ton of home games they could make a crap ton of money. Since then, teams stopped scheduling big out of conference match ups, therefore there is very little intersection between the teams. This just fuels the debate since each team plays its season wrapped in the capsule of their own conference.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:39 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:Wil Muschamp does not appear to be a good coach. Awful clock management for the gators.

He busy blaming Meyer for his "empty cupboard" that is stocked with 2 of the best recruiting classes of the last decade.

According to Rivals... here is the UF's last few recruiting classes:

2007: 1
2008: 3
2009: 11
2010: 2

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:43 pm

furls wrote:When ESPN took over the dialog and invented 500 TV shows that serve no purpose whatsoever other than creating arguments.

Yeah looking back on it, ESPN being bought out by Disney n 96 looks like one of the absolute worst things to happen to CFB.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:48 pm

Triple-S wrote:
furls wrote:When ESPN took over the dialog and invented 500 TV shows that serve no purpose whatsoever other than creating arguments.

Yeah looking back on it, ESPN being bought out by Disney n 96 looks like one of the absolute worst things to happen to CFB.

It is one of the worst things to happen to sports, not just CFB. I think we are going to see some big shifts in sports coverage in the near future. I think NBC Sports Network is going to be a big player.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:55 pm

furls wrote:It is one of the worst things to happen to sports, not just CFB. I think we are going to see some big shifts in sports coverage in the near future. I think NBC Sports Network is going to be a big player.

And you know, the BCS talks about keeping tradition by having this format?

ESPN has taken a lot of awesomeness that was New Years Day and has really tried it's best to destroy it.

Triple-S

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:57 pm

Someone needs to teach Miller when to get rid of the motherfucking ball.

Great Special teams play today by the Buckeyes!

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:03 pm

I'm really excited to lose this game by 28. In. Yo. Face. Gene. Smith.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:07 pm

Has Miller ever thrown a guy open? Zero anticipation, just looking for wide open dudes.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:08 pm

OMFG, whoever is calling this game of suck I just turned back on just recommended that Urban call USC.

How does anyone in the college football universe not know that Meyer and Lane hate each other?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:17 pm

Posey really improving his draft stock today. Vomit.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:17 pm

thank god urbz is coming.

Triple-S

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:18 pm

Carlos Hyde should take a few more seconds getting into a hole I could run through and WTF was Posey doing on that fumble?

This team deserves the effing Taxslayer.com Gator Bowl.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:20 pm

Guess six weeks wasn't enough time to get punt protect, ball security and throwing the ball away squared up.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:21 pm

Posey was already thinking about his 1st down celebration. Good riddance. What a waste of talent. Million dollar skill set, 10 cent head.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:23 pm

peeker643 wrote:Carlos Hyde should take a few more seconds getting into a hole I could run through and WTF was Posey doing on that fumble?

This team deserves the effing Taxslayer.com Gator Bowl.

Hyde is a boiled pootato. Lydel 2.

And no they don't, they deserve to be stuck in this shitty weather, like the rest of us.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:24 pm

This game is in Jacksonville CDT.

Shitty winter weather >>>>>>>>>>> Jacksonville.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:24 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Posey was already thinking about his 1st down celebration. Good riddance. What a waste of talent. Million dollar skill set, 10 cent head.

He'll look good in a Browns uniform when they inexplicably use their 2nd round pick on him.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:26 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:This game is in Jacksonville CDT.

Shitty winter weather >>>>>>>>>>> Jacksonville.

It's still in Florida. A state we should sell to Cuba for 1000lbs of rice. Or just douse in VX gas.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:29 pm

This 5pm game better be good. The past 2 weeks have made me want to give up football.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:29 pm

I've been in support of annexing Florida to Cuba since I was like seven years old.

Or just burning the place.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:31 pm

There is not a more rotten state in the union than Florida. GIVE IT BACK TO CANADA. Let them build and pay for the prisons. My made up statistics say the 88% of all ex Gators end up in one.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:35 pm

Florida was invented to house the retired Peekers and FUDU's of the world.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:37 pm

14 point deficit? Mike Patrick, you fat faced little imp, this team couldn't come back from a 3 point deficit.

They finally run the screen and it's so obvious Ray Charles could see it coming.

Nice catch D-POZE!
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:38 pm

The only D1 QB who throws worse than Miller is Taylor Martinez.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:38 pm

BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN! BOLLMAN!
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:39 pm

B-Rax will get better throwing the ball, he'll be in the Heisman Race at least 2 of the next 3 years. Book it.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:40 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Florida was invented to house the retired Peekers and FUDU's of the world.

Donny and I have already picked a nice, little one bedroom condo on the bay. Can't Wait!!

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:41 pm

peeker643 wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Florida was invented to house the retired Peekers and FUDU's of the world.

Donny and I have already picked a nice, little one bedroom condo on the bay. Can't Wait!!

OMG TEH SO CRAZY! YOU GAY, SON!
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Next

Return to College Sports Arena